04-21-2013 11:49 AM
81 1234
tools
    I think it is well recognized even among Samsung loyalist that the HTC One is built from more premium materials in that aluminum is more premium than plastic. I do not have to have it or even touch it to know that one is more premium than the other.

That said that is not the total picture, but for some it is. Not to mention the one speaker deal is getting old. How hard is it to put dual speakers on the galaxy line? Now that I have had a phone with sealed battery and no SD card (only 16GB to boot), I would not hesitate to try a phone with those features while in the past I would not have. I can't speak to sense because I have only had touch wiz and vanilla.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Better build materials yes you can tell that, but better build quality you can't tell from just looking at it.

HTC has historically had poor build quality with a lot of their phones. Problems like batteries losing to much of a charge over time, charging ports poorly soldered on and coming loose, parts falling off (also saw that the speaker grill on the one isn't very good), that isn't good build quality.

Build quality is how well the phone is built, not what material it's built from

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    madlaw1071 and Raptor007 like this.
    04-17-2013 02:51 PM
    All so uneducated about SD cards and battery. Please go read anandtech review and learn something about removable sd cards and how batteries really work.

I wanted to get a S4 but i started reading about all the gimmicky features and I found only one that might really be useful. The ability to wear gloves. All the other features did what they were supposed to do. Drag you into buying the phone, using it a couple of times and then turning them off. The screen while 1080p is not as good as the One's screen. Sound...don't even bother. Camera in low light please...not even close. Day pictures are good, not great but I can live with the trade off. CPU speed is a bit faster but nothing outlandish or brag worthy.

HTC One is plenty fast. Give me something more solid guys! 4.2.2 jellybean vs. 4.1.2 JB really. I may sound biased to HTC one but I just want it to be a fair fight. Everyone is so trained too love Sammy and there marketing dollars. The Note is a solid device, which i like very much.

Let's put it this way. The One must be raising some real concerns as Sammy just got busted paying off college kids to talk nasty about the One and there going to get fined. It's why there next flagship is going to be aluminum, get my drift. Anyways, buy away buy away buy away robots. I believe HTC will win top phone this year followed by whatever Google is doing and then S4.
    04-17-2013 05:06 PM
    Things that I like about the One: looks, build quality, screen, speakers
    Things that I like abut the S4: removable battery, sd card, better camera

Not a big fan of all those gestures, i find them marketing gimmicks. ON the One I hate BlinkFeed and the fact that it can't be removed and I'm not very happy with the camera performances.
    04-18-2013 09:31 AM
    All so uneducated about SD cards and battery. Please go read anandtech review and learn something about removable sd cards and how batteries really work.

I wanted to get a S4 but i started reading about all the gimmicky features and I found only one that might really be useful. The ability to wear gloves. All the other features did what they were supposed to do. Drag you into buying the phone, using it a couple of times and then turning them off. The screen while 1080p is not as good as the One's screen. Sound...don't even bother. Camera in low light please...not even close. Day pictures are good, not great but I can live with the trade off. CPU speed is a bit faster but nothing outlandish or brag worthy.

HTC One is plenty fast. Give me something more solid guys! 4.2.2 jellybean vs. 4.1.2 JB really. I may sound biased to HTC one but I just want it to be a fair fight. Everyone is so trained too love Sammy and there marketing dollars. The Note is a solid device, which i like very much.

Let's put it this way. The One must be raising some real concerns as Sammy just got busted paying off college kids to talk nasty about the One and there going to get fined. It's why there next flagship is going to be aluminum, get my drift. Anyways, buy away buy away buy away robots. I believe HTC will win top phone this year followed by whatever Google is doing and then S4.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA at the last sentence. Not even close, considering the battery scored 1/10

Sent from my HTC Vivid Borked using Android Central forums
    04-18-2013 09:46 AM
    Like I said before, the s4.
    Same cpu but clocked higher, more features, more than likely a better build quality (if history is any indicator), better camera in better light situations, more support

04-18-2013 09:49 AM
    Like I said before, the s4.
    Same cpu but clocked higher, more features, more than likely a better build quality (if history is any indicator), better camera in better light situations, more support

HTC One. Better screen, better sound quality, better build quality (if the actual phone is any indicator), nicer overlay, more dev support, better camera in low light.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    adamtalife likes this.
    04-18-2013 09:54 AM
    So this thread has turned from giving advice to a pissing contest of people championing their favorite brand. Didn't see that coming.

OP should go to his retailer and handle a display unit of both and see which one he likes better. That's about all the advice I can give you, OP. There's more to the phones than externals, there's an entire OS that needs to be explored as well. There are things Samsung does better than HTC and there are things HTC does better than Samsung. It's all up to what your needs are and which phone does more better.

And if I see references to Brian Klug's review one more damn time on this internet I'm probably going to snap. You cannot go into any Samsung or HTC One topic or article on the internet without this review being brought up. And they act like it's the most in-depth review on a phone ever made, when Anandtech has been doing these type reviews for years. They went even more in detail on the iPhone 5 and you didn't see the iPhone review posted or suggested nearly at the volume of the HTC One review. Most people don't even know it exists. I bet you most that have been linked to that HTC review haven't even seen anything else on that site, and that's a shame. People want to talk about Apple/Samsung fanboys, I'd say HTC fanboys are coming up surprisingly quick in the annoyance factor at this point and it's weird it happened this fast just from one phone. The only difference is there aren't as many, but boy are they just as loud.
    Topgonzo likes this.
    04-18-2013 10:40 AM
    Better build materials yes you can tell that, but better build quality you can't tell from just looking at it.

HTC has historically had poor build quality with a lot of their phones. Problems like batteries losing to much of a charge over time, charging ports poorly soldered on and coming loose, parts falling off (also saw that the speaker grill on the one isn't very good), that isn't good build quality.

Build quality is how well the phone is built, not what material it's built from

Yes. In referring the the original comments you replied to I took it to mean how the phone is put together. Again no doubt that it is put together well. I think the premium materials add to that. I have never had an HTC so I do not know issues of the past. Samsung has had those issues also. From the reviews I have seen on the HTC one is is a solid device. I would wager that most would agree that it has better build quality than the S4 but that is just a guess.

I have owned the galaxy 1,2,3 and currently have a note 2 so I am by no means championing HTC over Samsung. Just keeping it real.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    04-18-2013 11:04 AM
    I'm switching from an iPhone 4S to my first Android phone.

Decided on the 4S for the size and the features.

John
    04-18-2013 11:09 AM

I am not buying the GS4 for the "gimicky" features but for the phones size, display, processor, stated update to KLP 5.0 and that it IS already 4.2.2. No 4.1.2 is not the same as 4.2.2 it doesn't have the bug fixes and with HTC you have to wait for 4.2.2 and MAYBE you will get 5.0 KLP, but likely won't.

I used to be a solid HTC fan but after the Thunderbolt I said no way. Combine that with the poor choices Verizon sticks us with from HTC since then. At least on GSM you can get real choices, but still questionable build quality.
    04-18-2013 11:14 AM
    Personal Opinion
    I never really liked HTC's. Ever since the Evo, they just werent all that. It was like a basic phone with a good design
    the HTC One is an improvement, but just doesnt catch me enough to want it compared to the S4
    The HTC camera is bad, and they have always been bad (well the Evo was decent)
    The speakers are a plus though, the stereo sound, but I use headphones or connect my phone to external speakers most of the time
    Also the lack of a MicroSD Card and removable battery is a HUGE miss...try using a phone with a removable battery trust me you will see what i mean
    I love the new HTC UI, much better than the last one
    Also I use my camera a LOT, and the HTC One just doesnt do it for me with features, and quality. Dual mode camera is such a win to me

I do wish the GS4 had a better design, was disappointed that it looked just like the S3, but I'm gonna throw a Spigen Neo case which looks just amazing!
    satannik likes this.
    04-18-2013 11:26 AM
    Personal Opinion
    I never really liked HTC's. Ever since the Evo, they just werent all that. It was like a basic phone with a good design
    the HTC One is an improvement, but just doesn't catch me enough to want it compared to the S4
    The HTC camera is bad, and they have always been bad (well the Evo was decent)
    The speakers are a plus though, the stereo sound, but I use headphones or connect my phone to external speakers most of the time
    Also the lack of a MicroSD Card and removable battery is a HUGE miss...try using a phone with a removable battery trust me you will see what i mean
    I love the new HTC UI, much better than the last one
    Also I use my camera a LOT, and the HTC One just doesnt do it for me with features, and quality. Dual mode camera is such a win to me

I do wish the GS4 had a better design, was disappointed that it looked just like the S3, but I'm gonna throw a Spigen Neo case which looks just amazing!
    I agree the camera is important. I take lots of pics and videos of my kids. That is one dig I have on the Nexus. The camera is not that great.

The lack of sd and sealed battery are not as big a deal since having a nexus although I would prefer at least 32 GB. At first I though the wireless charging is gimmicky but it is actually handy to just lay your phone on a charging mat so the sealed battery is not an issue.

I am sitting this launch out but am interested to see how this comes out. I think the S4 will do well but the HTC one will be a bigger competitor than the One X was.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    04-18-2013 11:50 AM
    Doing same here. Bye Bye iPhone5, pre-ordered the S4. Im excited.
    04-18-2013 12:01 PM
    HTC One. Better screen, better sound quality, better build quality (if the actual phone is any indicator), nicer overlay, more dev support, better camera in low light.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    How can you speak on build quality when the phone just came out?

You don't know how well it's built.

Drop test didn't indicate that it isn't a great build quality the way the speaker grill popped right off.

A device with good build quality wouldn't fall apart from a pocket high drop.

Stop confusing build materials with actual build quality.

I'd put money on the s4 getting more developer support considering more people are going to buy it and it has a faster processor.

04-18-2013 12:03 PM
    The lack of sd and sealed battery are not as big a deal since having a nexus although I would prefer at least 32 GB. At first I though the wireless charging is gimmicky but it is actually handy to just lay your phone on a charging mat so the sealed battery is not an issue.
    Sent from my Nexus 4
    I used to feel the same way about the lack of SD Card but eversince I got the S3, transferring my music and videos have never been easier! I can also transfer all my media to another device just by removing the SD card. I would use the cloud but I personally don't like all my stuff on the cloud cuz its not 100% safe.
    The Hustleman likes this.
    04-18-2013 12:25 PM
    I used to feel the same way about the lack of SD Card but eversince I got the S3, transferring my music and videos have never been easier! I can also transfer all my media to another device just by removing the SD card. I would use the cloud but I personally don't like all my stuff on the cloud cuz its not 100% safe.
    The cloud is for people who have unlimited data.

Carriers should be forced to bring back unlimited data for cloud users

04-18-2013 12:47 PM
    The cloud is for people who have unlimited data.

Carriers should be forced to bring back unlimited data for cloud users

Carriers should be forced to bring back unlimited data...period
    04-18-2013 01:14 PM
    Carriers should be forced to bring back unlimited data...period
    I wholeheartedly agree.

The FCC or someone should force them to

04-18-2013 01:21 PM
    I think I like the S4 better if my opinion means anything to you.
    I have big hands, and the idea of having the nice 5 inch screen appeals to me.
    Plus it has a bunch of features I'd use.
    04-18-2013 01:26 PM
    is anyone worried about- since this being a brand new phone, needing kinks and bugs to be worked out?

this is the only reason why i'm a little hesitant to get this and settle for the Note 2 because the Note 2 has already been out and i'm sure most of the kinks have been worked out.

I'm making the switch from an iPhone 4S and I remember when the new iPhones come out there were always some kinks and bugs to be worked out and usually got better after months have sold lol.. I just don't want to get the S4, and it have some glitches with it and then have to return it..
    04-18-2013 01:32 PM
    is anyone worried about- since this being a brand new phone, needing kinks and bugs to be worked out?

this is the only reason why i'm a little hesitant to get this and settle for the Note 2 because the Note 2 has already been out and i'm sure most of the kinks have been worked out.

I'm making the switch from an iPhone 4S and I remember when the new iPhones come out there were always some kinks and bugs to be worked out and usually got better after months have sold lol.. I just don't want to get the S4, and it have some glitches with it and then have to return it..
    I got the Note 2 shortly after launch last year and have never had any problems, I wouldn't particularly worry about it too much. But as with any technology that's new on the market there is a chance of something needing to be fine tuned or whatnot, so if it's something you're really worried about maybe wait a week or two after launch just to see if there are any issues. I'm not expecting there to be any issues as Samsung has had ample time to optimize everything. So all in all, I wouldn't worry about it.
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    04-18-2013 02:03 PM

My last two Samsung phones were remarkably bug free for the most part. The S3 and note 2 and really the OG note too were all very good out of the box. I think Samsung does a good job with quality control on software.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    04-18-2013 03:04 PM
    I have an EVO 4GLTE right now with the ported sense 5 rom. My battery life has increased dramatically and my picture quality looks cleaner. All this with only dual core processors. The One with it's snapdragon 600 should be a treat. ANY PHONE BEING HEAVILY USED WILL DRAIN BATTERY VERY QUICKLY. Listen people, S4, HTC One...what a great problem have. Having to choose between either of these phones means that were not in the poor house and we have jobs. HTC is going to kick **** with this phone. S4 is a sammy phone and it will do well just because its a "feature" packed sammy phone. How useful those features will be is up to the user. I just ordered the dev 64gb HTC One and I'm going to give it a shot. Sammy already said there next sammy is going to be a metal phone and I'm sure they will look at bigger pixels like the iphone is doing for the iphone 6. HTC is setting trends and that cannot be denied. My buddy is getting the S4 so I'm going to have fun going back and forth with him. I want to try out all the features for myself.
    04-18-2013 03:12 PM
    My last two Samsung phones were remarkably bug free for the most part. The S3 and note 2 and really the OG note too were all very good out of the box. I think Samsung does a good job with quality control on software.

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Yup agreed, I never had a problem with Samsung phones out the box
    FitMomXtine likes this.
    04-18-2013 03:37 PM

Sent from my Nexus 4
    Everything after the original galaxy s (epic, vibrant, fascinate, captivate) has been great.

Samsung has some very good quality control and the hardware had excellent build quality.

I'd be more weary about the one considering HTC's history with bag build quality

04-18-2013 04:34 PM
81 1234