Coming from iP5 to 1st Android phone; Question is One or GS4?

hitlistbombshell

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5, and I am switching from my 5 to my first Android phone next month (May). The HUGE problem is that I can't decide between the HTC one and the Samsung Galaxy S4. Day to day, I keep going back and forth between which phone I am going to get. I adore the One's insane speakers and great build quality and dislike the "Ultrapixel" camera , while I love the GS4's beautiful 13MP camera, multiple software features, Touchwiz, and the fact that they made a smaller, thinner, and lighter device while giving it a bigger display. Can I get help choosing between the two greatest Android phones for at least the first half 2013!

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat but either device won't be my first Android. My suggestion is to wait until the GS4 is released, go to the store and play with it and then you can better compare the two. They are both great phones.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I suggest find a friend with a s4 after its release u go buy the HTC one use it AMD play with his phone AMD decide b4 the 14 day return policy which 1 u like better...u need more then 15mins to decide

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest you read the reviews of HTC One v. Galaxy S4 to decide for yourself...there are a lot of good reviews, cuz people will be one sided

My reasons for the S4 is the removable battery, and it also has a better Camera and more camera features than the HTC One. I also have a Galaxy S3 and satisfied with their products...I never really liked HTC, but thats more personal reasons

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to determine which one of these two I want as well. I've seen tons of reviews on the phones. But I've been using android for a while. Here is my honest opinion to a person making the switch from Apple. Go with the S4.

Plastic build quality aside, you won't be disappointed. I have friends that are finally making the switch as the tiny screen is driving them nuts and they all want the s4. Out of the that and the one it is the easier choice. The one is more geared towards the tech savvy I feel. Plus the button layout is nothing like traditional android and it will only confuse you more. Samsung has done a great job of introducing you to the phone on start up. Plus you will enjoy the camera more. Bigger battery and removable if you ever want to carry extras or whatnot.

Also if accessories are your thing, their will be tons of them for the s4. The one does have a better screen but anything will be better than a 3.5 inch screen or whatever it is now. The speaker debate has also seen people saying the Samsung sounds just as good, just obviously not as loud.

Oh and another thing, the s4 comes with the latest android os while the one is shipping with an older version already. I have a one x and can tell you HTC is horrible about releasing updates. Been like this for a while and hasn't changed.

In the end it is your choice, but as a first time android user I'd absolutely tell anyone to get the Samsung s4. I've owned both Samsung and HTC phones so I have no bias opinion in this question.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to determine which one of these two I want as well. I've seen tons of reviews on the phones. But I've been using android for a while. Here is my honest opinion to a person making the switch from Apple. Go with the S4.

Plastic build quality aside, you won't be disappointed. I have friends that are finally making the switch as the tiny screen is driving them nuts and they all want the s4. Out of the that and the one it is the easier choice. The one is more geared towards the tech savvy I feel. Plus the button layout is nothing like traditional android and it will only confuse you more. Samsung has done a great job of introducing you to the phone on start up. Plus you will enjoy the camera more. Bigger battery and removable if you ever want to carry extras or whatnot.

Also if accessories are your thing, their will be tons of them for the s4. The one does have a better screen but anything will be better than a 3.5 inch screen or whatever it is now. The speaker debate has also seen people saying the Samsung sounds just as good, just obviously not as loud.

Oh and another thing, the s4 comes with the latest android os while the one is shipping with an older version already. I have a one x and can tell you HTC is horrible about releasing updates. Been like this for a while and hasn't changed.

In the end it is your choice, but as a first time android user I'd absolutely tell anyone to get the Samsung s4. I've owned both Samsung and HTC phones so I have no bias opinion in this question.

Funny i have 2 HTC phones and both have been updated,updates cannot alway be blamed on HTC and more on the carrier,i would say wait till both are available in store and go compare them for yourself,do not listen to a few users who have had some issues,with either HTC or Samsung,all phones will have strengths and weakness and haters and fanboys.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just my opinion as I stated. Also I'm not sure where you live but here in the states our phones are pretty much controlled by the carriers. And yes HTC is always the last with updates to their phones, be it with sprint, Verizon, or att.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
S4:
-More features
-slightly bigger screen
-lighter
-expandable memory
-removeable battery

One:
-better speakers (only cause they're front-facing but front-facing is always better and I know this from my Nexus 10)
-more premium feel but if you're gonna get a case then this is redundant

That's about all I can think of, they're both great looking devices so just choose based on what is more important to you but from what I can tell, no matter what you choose it won't be a bad choice.

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The One looks awful to me. I don't get what people see in it. The S4 is sexy though. (I'm coming in from iOS, too...iPhone 5)

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
similar issue here too.. new to android .. but can't decide between note 2 and GS4 ...

I went from the GS3 to the Note 2. At first the larger size didn't bother me and I liked the large screen. After a few weeks it just seemed to big to me. I would recommend the GS4 unless you need the S-pen or the massive screen. The other good thing about the Note 2 is the battery life but we will have to wait and see how the GS4 fares on that end. Personally I am going to sell my Note 2 and buy a GS4 outright when it's released.

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I went from the GS3 to the Note 2. At first the larger size didn't bother me and I liked the large screen. After a few weeks it just seemed to big to me. I would recommend the GS4 unless you need the S-pen or the massive screen. The other good thing about the Note 2 is the battery life but we will have to wait and see how the GS4 fares on that end. Personally I am going to sell my Note 2 and buy a GS4 outright when it's released.

I am sort of drawn to the Note 2 because of the S-Pen.. but then again someone on these boards reminded me that I could just use my iPad for "bigger screen" tasks (like note taking, drawing etc).. but the thing about that is I don't feel like carrying my iPad everywhere in my purse.

I do want the bigger screen though (my iPhone is just way too small for me) but I do like the S4 camera and the thought of a dual camera (makes me giddy lol).. I cannot wait until the 26th! seems so far! :p

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I am sort of drawn to the Note 2 because of the S-Pen.. but then again someone on these boards reminded me that I could just use my iPad for "bigger screen" tasks (like note taking, drawing etc).. but the thing about that is I don't feel like carrying my iPad everywhere in my purse.

I do want the bigger screen though (my iPhone is just way too small for me) but I do like the S4 camera and the thought of a dual camera (makes me giddy lol).. I cannot wait until the 26th! seems so far! :p

The s-pen is super cool. I do use it to write out grocery lists and things like that. I just don't use it enough to justify it. The s-pen is a TON better than the stylus options for the ipad. I have an ipad and have tried a few stylus and they are rubber tipped. The s-pen has a solid tip and is much more pointed and refined. It is so much easier to use the s-pen and it's much much more accurate than the ipad stylus. So if that means a lot to you definitely at least play with the Note 2 extensively.

FitMomXtine

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The s-pen is super cool. I do use it to write out grocery lists and things like that. I just don't use it enough to justify it. The s-pen is a TON better than the stylus options for the ipad. I have an ipad and have tried a few stylus and they are rubber tipped. The s-pen has a solid tip and is much more pointed and refined. It is so much easier to use the s-pen and it's much much more accurate than the ipad stylus. So if that means a lot to you definitely at least play with the Note 2 extensively.

Yea I think I didn't get to play with it enough (I had the note 2 actually and returned it before my 2 weeks was up because I thought my husband and I were going to switch providers but looks like we are not).. so then the SG4 talk came in to play.. and that's why I am undecided..

I really do like the S-Pen on the Note 2.. wish I could find one like that for my iPad.. the Stylus I have for that one is rubber tipped and sucks!

I do like writing on the Note 2 but I also didn't use it enough.. and i'm trying to jusitfy not getting it because I have the iPad.. but then again like i mentioned, i don't always have my iPad on me like I would my phone.. I know people keep saying.. get what's best for you.. but that's the thing I don't know! I'm so new to androids I don't know! lol..

so after lurking the boards here and there.. some people have mixed feelings that the SG4 features are just gimmicks.. and some say it's THEE phone to have right now.. so not sure what to believe lol

bigstomachking

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
haha. Again dude, you are asking the question in S4 forum. You should have expected what we were going to say.
To be honest, you should wait and hand on both device to decide. Don't waste time on reviews or opinions from some "EXPERTS". Meaningless to YOU.

3Dee

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As a first time Android user, long time BlackBerry user, I've recently made the switch to the HTC One and couldn't be happier so far! The device looks great, Sense provides an easy learning curve (certainly such than any Android Central user shouldn't be in any way concerned) and has features that, to me, are of real practical benefit. The speakers are a great example of this - I'm an avid Spotify user, listen to podcasts, the radio etc, and the speakers and audio system provide a really stunning sound - not just loud but amazingly clear and good quality.

I agree with sensible majority who say that the best thing to do is to choose the device that suits you and your needs best, and that both are such great devices that you won't be disappointed either way.