04-23-2013 12:42 PM
50 12
tools
    What else can they possibly cram into a phone?
    04-22-2013 07:40 AM
    Dude, you gotta read before posting non-sense. The article clearly mentions that those features don't work as advertised. Samsung is no Google, only Google Translator is good... S-Translator? Not so much
    I'll believe it when I see for myself. Just cause an article says something doesn't mean it's true. There are tons of biased tech reviewers out there.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
    smooth4lyfe likes this.
    04-22-2013 10:35 AM
    I'd rather have a phone with 20 cool features I may not use, then a phone with limited features that I can't show off to friends or try.
    The thing I like about Samsung is that even if they won't be useful to everyone, they put features in there and makes the phone much more attractive.
    It shows the power of the phone and what it's capable of
    Newtoandroid99 likes this.
    04-22-2013 10:52 AM
    Why should there be S-Voice when there's Google Now? Google Now is a lot more superior...
    04-22-2013 10:56 AM
    Why should there be S-Voice when there's Google Now? Google Now is a lot more superior...
    That's subjective. Just cause that's your opinion doesn't mean everyone else agrees with it.

crester likes this.
    04-22-2013 10:58 AM
    Adding features just for the sake of having new features to brag about... LOL@Samsung
    And what's your mobile company doing to make phones better? Exactly. Lol@you.

crester likes this.
    04-22-2013 11:03 AM
    And what's your mobile company doing to make phones better? Exactly. Lol@you.

Well for one, they gave me 468 ppi and fairly awesome speakers .

Regarding the title and subject of this thread, what gave it away? The skits with over the top acting and cheesiness?
    04-22-2013 11:10 AM
    Well for one, they gave me 468 ppi and fairly awesome speakers .

Regarding the title and subject of this thread, what gave it away? The skits with over the top acting and cheesiness?
    Meh, better screens and front facing speakers aren't exactly new or any different from the normal and expected. :P

crester likes this.
    04-22-2013 11:12 AM
    Meh, better screens and front facing speakers aren't exactly new or any different from the normal and expected. :P

Well front facing speakers of this quality are. And for someone coming from the crap that was 2011 AMOLED, this screen is like a 4K 60 inch comparatively .
    04-22-2013 11:14 AM
    Well front facing speakers of this quality are. And for someone coming from the crap that was 2011 AMOLED, this screen is like a 4K 60 inch comparatively .
    Not since the Nexus 10 is that new, those are some epic sounding front facing speakers. And the nexus 10 was made by Samsung. And I can't recall if the S4 uses AMOLED still but if it does then it looks wayyyyy better than it did before though I thought it looked great on the S3 too but that's all personal preference.

04-22-2013 11:17 AM
    Not since the Nexus 10 is that new, those are some epic sounding front facing speakers. And the nexus 10 was made by Samsung. And I can't recall if the S4 uses AMOLED still but if it does then it looks wayyyyy better than it did before though I thought it looked great on the S3 too but that's all personal preference.

Nexus 10 isn't a phone.

S3 is AMOLED. Hopefully the S4 doesn't have ghosting, black splotches, tinting (blue, pink, yellow, all standard occurrences on most Sammy AMOLEDs), or burn in. I had 4 different GN's, all had some degree of that stuff. When it's perfect it's amazing, particularly the oversaturation. But when it's not...and that's usually...it's a screen tech that works out my OCD to the nth degree.
    04-22-2013 11:20 AM
    Nexus 10 isn't a phone.

S3 is AMOLED. Hopefully the S4 doesn't have ghosting, black splotches, tinting (blue, pink, yellow, all standard occurrences on most Sammy AMOLEDs), or burn in. I had 4 different GN's, all had some degree of that stuff. When it's perfect it's amazing, particularly the oversaturation. But when it's not...and that's usually...it's a screen tech that works out my OCD to the nth degree.
    Doesn't matter. Same concept.

I never heard about all those issues with AMOLED, and I went through the S3 section alot. Weird. But you're right, when done right it looks great.

crester likes this.
    04-22-2013 11:25 AM
    Doesn't matter. Same concept.

I never heard about all those issues with AMOLED, and I went through the S3 section alot. Weird.

They're all over. A simple Google search will show them all. When I have time, I will post up some links and photos to the most prevalent defects. But regardless of S3, Nexus, etc. -- it doesn't matter. Oh, I also forgot banding on low brightness, as well as the weird "paper" effect when scrolling at low brightness.

Keep in mind, these are all things you can't unsee. So beware .

Some forum links...

Burn in - http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...reen-burn.html
    Banding - http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...rightness.html
    Kevin's General Comparo - http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...es-matter.html
    PsYcHoNeWb likes this.
    04-22-2013 11:30 AM
    Ok but it gives more options, some people don't like Google now... Why do developers make other voice command apps in the play store and people download them? Different options instead of being forced to use one thing.... Duh

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    04-22-2013 11:34 AM
    Adding features just for the sake of having new features to brag about... LOL@Samsung
    And ur point?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    04-22-2013 11:36 AM
    They're all over. A simple Google search will show them all. When I have time, I will post up some links and photos to the most prevalent defects. But regardless of S3, Nexus, etc. -- it doesn't matter. Oh, I also forgot banding on low brightness, as well as the weird "paper" effect when scrolling at low brightness.

Keep in mind, these are all things you can't unsee. So beware .
    I find myself searching more about stuff besides those things but ill take your word for it. :P The One screen looks as good as the S4 to me so these days I find comparing screens to be getting less and less viable but that's a discussion for another day. Lol

04-22-2013 11:36 AM
    I find myself searching more about stuff besides those things but ill take your word for it. :P The One screen looks as good as the S4 to me so these days I find comparing screens to be getting less and less viable but that's a discussion for another day. Lol

Here's some more:

GN Grainy/Paper-like/Banding - Galaxy Nexus grainy and vertical banding Pg 2 | Galaxy Nexus > XDA
    An actual Google discussion on the latent "defects" of Super AMOLED - Google Groups

Like I said, I've had 4 different GN devices and they all had latent screen defects. That's fine, comes with the territory. I hope the screen tech in the S4 has improved substantially, and it probably has. Still, I took no chances . For me, aside from software, the screen is the biggest draw.
    04-22-2013 11:39 AM
    Here's some more:

GN Grainy/Paper-like/Banding - Galaxy Nexus grainy and vertical banding Pg 2 | Galaxy Nexus > XDA
    An actual Google discussion on the latent "defects" of Super AMOLED - Google Groups

Like I said, I've had 4 different GN devices and they all had latent screen defects. That's fine, comes with the territory. I hope the screen tech in the S4 has improved substantially, and it probably has. Still, I took no chances . For me, aside from software, the screen is the biggest draw.
    Fair enough.

04-22-2013 11:40 AM

I've found that people that say they don't compare screens are in denial about Samsung not making the best displays for phones. :P
    04-22-2013 12:07 PM
    The One has a PPI of 468 because it isn't a 5" display. If it were 5" like the Droid DNA, Xperia Z, and S4 it would have 440 PPI as well. There is little to no difference in either phone in this regard and mostly comes down to screen technology to deliver the better screen. If you've seen a DNA screen then you also know what the One's screen looks like, they both have the same LCD 3 panels. Samsung went with a diamond pentile matrix for the S4 which isn't on the other Galaxy phones. You get more sub-pixels per inch which eliminates grainy textures, even at zoomed in levels. There's been a couple videos on this board that shows this, there's also some videos posted here that also shows the S4's AMOLED screen is on par with LCD. With the S4's screen showing more warm and vivid colors, while the One having a little bit more detail. Burn in is probably still a factor, I just don't know how much of one.

Only one of phones mentioned has an inferior screen and that's the Xperia Z with its washed out looking TFT display.
    crester likes this.
    04-22-2013 12:21 PM
    I've found that people that say they don't compare screens are in denial about Samsung not making the best displays for phones. :P
    Well you're wrong if you think they all do. :P

04-22-2013 12:47 PM
    The One has a PPI of 468 because it isn't a 5" display. If it were 5" like the Droid DNA, Xperia Z, and S4 it would have 440 PPI as well. There is little to no difference in either phone in this regard and mostly comes down to screen technology to deliver the better screen. If you've seen a DNA screen then you also know what the One's screen looks like, they both have the same LCD 3 panels. Samsung went with a diamond pentile matrix for the S4 which isn't on the other Galaxy phones. You get more sub-pixels per inch which eliminates grainy textures, even at zoomed in levels. There's been a couple videos on this board that shows this, there's also some videos posted here that also shows the S4's AMOLED screen is on par with LCD. With the S4's screen showing more warm and vivid colors, while the One having a little bit more detail. Burn in is probably still a factor, I just don't know how much of one.

Only one of phones mentioned has an inferior screen and that's the Xperia Z with its washed out looking TFT display.
    The problem with the One's screen is more a function of the lack of a dedicated menu button. As a result there is a black menu bar across many apps(like Facebook) which eats into already limited screen space(as compared to a 5 incher or a 4.8 without the black bar).
    04-22-2013 01:42 PM
    I'd rather have a phone with 20 cool features I may not use, then a phone with limited features that I can't show off to friends or try.
    The thing I like about Samsung is that even if they won't be useful to everyone, they put features in there and makes the phone much more attractive.
    It shows the power of the phone and what it's capable of
    Spot on!! You have laid it out quite elegantly, and very bluntly. If someone can not understand this, it is because they choose not to.
    crester and xoxojess like this.
    04-22-2013 01:44 PM
    If Forbes wants to talk about gimmicks in a phone, then how about the rumored fingerprint scanner on the iP5S. I mean really, how reliable is it going to be, how many times a day is someone going to want to swipe their middle finger at apple's phone, (oh wait I would do that) I find the fingerprint scanner useful on my new HP Laptop because I use a crazy long password on it and I don't have to remember it (I do have it written down).

But on a phone that is a "gimmick". Looking at the short video in a thread here about the S-View cover actually prompted me to cancel my existing case order and look to one of those. I found liked the notification window, ability to answer/end a call all without opening the cover. Lots of great new features and benefits from Samsung, where as apple simply introduces stuff no one wants. Lets look at Passport - Gimmick with 26 companies adopting it so far. Maps - Gimmick, inaccurate, horrible renderings and rushed out the door when they had a perfectly useful Maps app already. Safari Browser - Gimmick - they intentionally block any other browser from acting as the native browser (Microsoft got sued over this). Lightning cable - Gimmick. They introduced another proprietary standard that has no big benefits that a simple adapter wouldn't solve combined with the industry standard microUSB cable.

Apple is all about Gimmicks and their stock value shows it.
    04-23-2013 12:07 PM
    I can not stand apple, but I did have the projector windows phone with a fingerprint scanner built into the directional pad, and used it all the time. But it was built into something they already needed.
    04-23-2013 12:42 PM
50 12