Gorilla Glass 3 - Do we still need screen protecters?

buckwheatdx

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
For anyone looking for a good screen protector but doesn't want to sacrifice the feel of glass should try the spigen glasT screen protector. Its a thin sheet of glass so you dont lose clarity or sense of the "naked feel." I've had it on my iphone 5 since release and haven't had an issue.
I'm one of those ppl that still uses a sp because even though i'm usually very careful with my phone there is always that one time when it gets too friendly with my keys or someone else isn't quite as careful.

Amazon.com: SPIGEN SGP SGP10176 GLAS.t SLIM Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Galaxy S4 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories

xioser

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Ive always tried without first, when i did eventually get a scratch or two i found a good screen protecter always covered them up anyways. Any suggestions for a good anti-glare type? Tempted if anything by the Zagg extreme but wont commit until i can see how clear it really is, but maybe the Samsung range stands up better to everyday scratches than iPhones?

Me personally i always have a "phone" pocket where i dont keep anything except my phone in and im always super careful until i get that dreaded first scratch, just like the bike syndrome mentioned above. Dont know how but i always get scratches.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
GG3 will provide a great deal of scratch resistance but it is not armored glass. Even though the Defender has a significant lip that protects well against a face first drop, I would feel better with a barrier for the screen.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have to recommend iSmooth. If you've been in the Note 2 forum -- and remember, people with N2s are continually writing on their screens with S Pens, which can and do scratch some screen protectors -- you know what I'm talking about. Hands down the best. Whatever you use, just put it on in the bathroom after running a hot shower for a few minutes.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If your going to do a screen protector, do yourself a favor and make it a glass one. They don't f*** up how your screen looks and don't give that nasty screen protector feel.

I'm always torn on screen protectors. I trade phones a lot, and it never fails, if I have a used phone I could keep it in my pocket with sandpaper and be fine, but if I buy a brand new phone I'll have a scratch on that bad boy before I leave the store.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've tried that but my glasses get so fogged up I can't see what I am doing! :D
I have to recommend iSmooth. If you've been in the Note 2 forum -- and remember, people with N2s are continually writing on their screens with S Pens, which can and do scratch some screen protectors -- you know what I'm talking about. Hands down the best. Whatever you use, just put it on in the bathroom after running a hot shower for a few minutes.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Why in the bathroom after the hot shower? Does the high humidity help in some way?

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried Ghost Armor? I've seen the kiosk in the mall and I thought I might try it when I get my 4.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely -- it minimizes dust. You can't push out a bubble created by a dust particle.

Awesome! If I get a screen protector I will try this because I have never once successfully applied a screen protector with no dust under. Then the dust drives me crazy and I take the protector off.

npunk42

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
The answer is yes. You need a screen protector for GG3 because the more scratch resistant the glass is the more shattered it will be when you drop it. Broken GG3 = shards and dust. The screen protector will hold it together and give you some functionality of the screen while you cry and cry to Asurion.

BarackOdrama

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

The one time I tried that method I still got dust. :confused:

Now I just keep a can of compressed air next to me and spray right before I put it on. If I see dust, I lift the protector back up and use a piece of painter's tape to lift the dust off.

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm really curious as what people do to their phones to get all these hairline scratches. I've never used a screen protector on my iPhone 3GS or 4S, and definitely don't plan to on my S4 when i get it. Those two iPhones definitely didn't have Gorilla Glass 3 and they did just fine.

In my opinion i've never needed it. Now i watch that i never stick my keys in the same pocket as my phone, but thats more for comfort of too many things in your pocket rather than fear of scratching my screen.

I guess its more for the peace of mind knowing not to worry about your screen getting scratched.

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't use a screen protector on my Nexus 4, but I have strongly considered getting one. It is still possible to get scratches with Gorilla Glass, so I would definitely recommend getting a screen protector. However, if you do get a screen protector, try to get the glass like ones, because those are the best.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The one time I tried that method I still got dust. :confused:

Now I just keep a can of compressed air next to me and spray right before I put it on. If I see dust, I lift the protector back up and use a piece of painter's tape to lift the dust off.

Then you haven't really steamed it up. Trust me, its the only way to do it with no dust particles.

xioser

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
So the safer option seems to be get protected. SGP GlasT R then? But with the thickness of the glass and of course a decent case ( SGP Neo) any raised lip from the case protecting the screen will be all gone. Can anybody recommend a decent anti-glare protecter, something that would make absolute minimal impact on the screen resolution if any?