04-24-2013 08:36 AM
69 123
tools
    Also planning on making the switch!
    I have a 16gb black on reserve at Rogers(wanted a 64gb but they only have 16gb models on order, so ill just get a 64gb micro sd)
    As long as I can sell my Iphone for a fair amount(64gb unlocked iPhone 5) I'm making the switch!
    Pretty excited, while the s4 does have a lot of features that could be called gimmicks it also has a lot of features that looks really useful, and I think im ready to try out android.
    04-22-2013 05:59 PM
    Why can't we keep this civil Chetan. I know it might have been what you originally intended, but you are coming across to me as condescending. (and a little rude.) Both the iPhone and the Android are good phones, there is no need to argue.

As to what the iPhone is missing, I used the 4, and it was very walled in. It is a pro and con that you can't have widgets, change keyboards, and have live wallpapers. It is food for beginners, but the lack of features can annoy some people.

Everyone has different opinions, so there us no need to get up in arms. Of course thus is an Android forum, but that doesn't mean that iPhones don't have advantages, and Androids don't have disadvantages.

Sent from my HTC Rhyme
    Which is what no one on these forums realises unfortunately. There are people continuously dissing Apple even on Apple insider and Mac Rumors.

It's just sad.
    04-22-2013 08:27 PM
    I am a phone-***** to put it politely and have recently (last few years) had BB Bold 9000, 9700, GS3, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and now have my S4 on order. I wanted to make an informed choice and the only way I could do that was to try all OS's (sorry Windows phone people but it wasn't even an option for me). I have now made that choice and will be leaving iOS at the end of the week and shall be back where I feel most at home. I too have a Mac ecosystem at home, hence really wanting to like and use iPhone, but I shall be using that mentioned Easy phone thingymabob.
    Oh and it is the 16gb Black Mist option I have on order and I cannot wait to start using it.
    Calidoc likes this.
    04-23-2013 07:12 AM
    WOO HOO! count me in as another iPhone deserter. I'd been sick of my laptop and figured i could get all my needs on a tablet so i went for the Nexus 7, first android device ever. After that i was sold on android.

Just been waiting on my upgrade which is the first week of June, so i was stoked when i found out the S4 would be launching a month before my upgrade. Been following the rumors and development of this phone for at least the past 8 months. Now i just gotta hope that my local AT&T store has some in stock in about 6 weeks so i can walk in and walk out with my shiny new Black Mist S4!!
    AT&T might let you upgrade early. I heard the 20 mo. rumor somewhere.
    04-23-2013 07:33 AM
    No.
    The iPhone has tonns of apps, so does Android.
    The iPhone has a really good screen so do most Android phones.
    The iPhone has a really great keyboard, so does Android. Tell me again what the iPhone is missing? and don't tell me Same****'s "features" because they are useless.
    I have had my iphone since the 3GS came out.
    The main things missing for me are
    - larger screen
    - replaceable battery
    - external memory (sd card)
    04-23-2013 07:46 AM
    AT&T might let you upgrade early. I heard the 20 mo. rumor somewhere.
    Well the first week of june would be my 20 months. I'm fairly certain they do 20 months for all upgrades since that was a big controversy that verizon switched to 24 months recently while AT&T stayed at 20.

I was thinking of going into a store to see if they would let me pre-order or do my upgrade even earlier. That would be insane. But if you catch the right employee on the right day i've heard they do that sometimes. Rare, but its happened. Looks like AT&T will have them in store on the 27th so maybe i'll go in that day just for fun to see what i can pull off.
    04-23-2013 08:56 AM
    HTC One isn't compelling for me at all. They sacrificed the most important thing to fit those front facing speakers into that big aluminum casing: the screen-to-size ratio and that's just form over function.
    Those high quality speakers are a sacrifice for function over form. Sound being a function and putting in those made the form a little taller. If you want great sound, nothing comes close to them. If you don't care about that or the other features then it's great to have choices!
    04-23-2013 02:23 PM
    I am test driving an HTC One right now and I can tell you this is EXACTLY correct. Much functionality is sacrificed in the name of design(which is stunning BTW). The screen is too small and the buttons are too flush.
    But some design as sacrificed in the name of functionality also. The speakers make it taller, but are the best by far on a phone. The S4 makes sacrifices each way also. I will wait and figure out what I'm willing to give up
    04-23-2013 02:27 PM
    But some design as sacrificed in the name of functionality also. The speakers make it taller, but are the best by far on a phone. The S4 makes sacrifices each way also. I will wait and figure out what I'm willing to give up
    The speakers sound AMAZING, however, for me, my phone is always on vibrate and I listen to music only with headphones so the feature is lost on me. I'd rather have the bigger screen of the S4 and no front speakers.
    Calidoc and OceanView like this.
    04-23-2013 02:42 PM
    The speakers sound AMAZING, however, for me, my phone is always on vibrate and I listen to music only with headphones so the feature is lost on me. I'd rather have the bigger screen of the S4 and no front speakers.
    I'll have to go in and listen to the HTC One. I rarely use the speaker, and when I do it's often for calls (so I simply place it face down).

However, it stinks when I'm trying to share a video with someone and I'm forced to awkwardly cup my hand and crank the volume so people can hear it. I don't need stereo, but it surprises me that they can't find the room to blast the speaker up and out of the earpiece. Even if the sound had to travel through a bit of plastic, I'd take directional sound over a minor boost in clarity any day.
    04-23-2013 02:53 PM
    I'll have to go in and listen to the HTC One. I rarely use the speaker, and when I do it's often for calls (so I simply place it face down).

However, it stinks when I'm trying to share a video with someone and I'm forced to awkwardly cup my hand and crank the volume so people can hear it. I don't need stereo, but it surprises me that they can't find the room to blast the speaker up and out of the earpiece. Even if the sound had to travel through a bit of plastic, I'd take directional sound over a minor boost in clarity any day.
    If you haven't already done so, read GSMArena's comparison between the One and S4. They give props to BoomSound but I believe they said the S4's sound was actually louder and more clear.
    04-23-2013 02:59 PM
    Yup, me too. iPhone 4,4s,5 but now it's time for change. Reasons why I think people want to switch off iPhone:

1) screen size is bigger on android
    2) apple isn't innovating like Samsung right now
    3) the innovative features in s4 would take apple years to implement
    4) android apps have caught up in quality to iOS.
    5) developers are releasing their apps and updates at the same time for both systems (for the most part)
    6) People have lost faith/trust in apple to innovate w/o Steve Jobs.
    7) Samsung marketing is genius.
    8) isn't everyone tired of the grid of icons by now? It's been how many years....
    I"ll be switching over as well. Owned an iPhone 3, 4 and 4S. Switching for the reasons mentioned already as well as the ability to switch out batteries and the fact that Samsung is Open Source while Apple is not. I have to wait until May 8 for my AT&T upgrade tho. Not much longer. Called last night to see if they could give me a waiver so I could order earlier. They wouldn't but the rep tried to talk me out of even considering an Android phone of ANY kind. She said they were "too techy". I kid you not. LOL
    04-23-2013 03:48 PM
    So you don't have a Samsung phone now, you have an iPhone? Have you considered the others like the HTC and Sony?

What are your favourite apps?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    04-23-2013 04:11 PM
    I'm pretty much as big an Apple guy as one could get. I am typing this on my mini, looking at my iPhone 4 and 5 (work phone) which are sitting on top of my MacBook Pro. All I have done since early March is drool over the Samsung Galaxy S4. I preordered mine first day and can't wait to start the experience. It doesn't mean I don't love Apple or their products it just means that I think this phone and OS is better for me right now. I have new needs which iOS can't fill at this time while Samsung could have filled them with the GS3. So yes I'm with you as a long time iPhone user Android has def caught up and passed in some ways but its enough for me to switch.
    rion_j likes this.
    04-23-2013 10:12 PM
    Long time iPhone user just pre ordered the s4 can't wait to get it
    OceanView likes this.
    04-23-2013 10:26 PM
    Well the first week of june would be my 20 months. I'm fairly certain they do 20 months for all upgrades since that was a big controversy that verizon switched to 24 months recently while AT&T stayed at 20.

I was thinking of going into a store to see if they would let me pre-order or do my upgrade even earlier. That would be insane. But if you catch the right employee on the right day i've heard they do that sometimes. Rare, but its happened. Looks like AT&T will have them in store on the 27th so maybe i'll go in that day just for fun to see what i can pull off.
    Try calling, if the first rep won't do it, say thank you then hangup and call again later. I also suspect it's merely catching the right rep in the right mood. My wife got some amazing deals this way. And you can talk to a lot more reps a lot easier on the phone than going from store to store.
    04-24-2013 12:28 AM
    The reality is that the iPhone 5, the GS4, and the One are solid phones. Pick what's right for you. I just wish we would all sit back and not judge each other for our different choices. Android is pretty damn good these days. So is iOS.
    04-24-2013 01:05 AM
    OMG me too...
    04-24-2013 01:22 AM
    Try calling, if the first rep won't do it, say thank you then hangup and call again later. I also suspect it's merely catching the right rep in the right mood. My wife got some amazing deals this way. And you can talk to a lot more reps a lot easier on the phone than going from store to store.
    I actually just called both premier last night and phone customer care. No luck with the premier, however when i called customer care the rep "spoke to their supervisor" and said that they would call me back on April 30th since thats when the S4 would be in their system and get my upgrade early and the S4 ordered!

So i'm good, effectively moved up my upgrade from June 8th to April 30th. So excited now knowing i will probably get my S4 in just about 2 weeks!!!
    04-24-2013 08:36 AM
69 123