05-12-2013 10:49 AM
71 123
tools
    App data is the only thing kept on internal sd storage. The apks themselves are all in system/app & data/app.
    No, the applications are on "internal SD" storage. For a long time now, /data is configured as one big partition including /data/app and /data/data. Since Android 3.0, it's almost all one big file system (including the "internal SD" that you see when you plug the phone in).

The original Galaxy S had special space set aside for /data/app that was supposed to be faster than the bulk flash, but most of the community ROMs turned it off because there wasn't a noticeable difference and that special space was rather small. Of course manufacturers are still free to do this, but I'd be surprised if anyone had since Android 4.0 became the standard.
    crester likes this.
    04-22-2013 12:41 AM
    If you play games, you will probably want at least 32GB. Asphalt 7 already takes up 1.5GB by itself.

Loving my 32GB GS3.
    thoughthalo likes this.
    04-22-2013 08:32 AM
    If you play games, you will probably want at least 32GB. Asphalt 7 already takes up 1.5GB by itself.

Loving my 32GB GS3.
    I am just hoping that when 24th comes T-Mobile will also have an option to order the 32 Gb GS4. If not, then I don't think I will end up ordering a 16gb phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-22-2013 08:43 AM
    The Dark Knight Rises game takes up almost 2GB There are other games that take up way too much memory. If you are a game player, wait or root your phone.
    04-22-2013 09:58 AM
    I think with the S III, Verizon delayed the release until a few weeks after the other carriers and then released both models around the same time.

But if you spend your time reading these forums, it'll feel like a really long wait.
    Thanks for the info. I feel like a little kid again waiting for Santa to bring the S4 .... how many cookies and glasses of milk can I put out ???

04-22-2013 10:12 AM
    If you want learn more about apps 2 sd card on the GS3 you can check out this thread. This may help you understand how the GS4 might work.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ps-sdcard.html
    thoughthalo likes this.
    04-22-2013 02:58 PM
    Does Apps2SDcard work on 4.2.2? I ask that because when I had the GN2 it was stated that there were changes in 4.2.x that would cause it to no longer work of course I have to wait for the GS4 to launch and someone to test it out. I certainly hope it does work.
    04-22-2013 05:57 PM
    No, the applications are on "internal SD" storage. For a long time now, /data is configured as one big partition including /data/app and /data/data. Since Android 3.0, it's almost all one big file system (including the "internal SD" that you see when you plug the phone in).

The original Galaxy S had special space set aside for /data/app that was supposed to be faster than the bulk flash, but most of the community ROMs turned it off because there wasn't a noticeable difference and that special space was rather small. Of course manufacturers are still free to do this, but I'd be surprised if anyone had since Android 4.0 became the standard.

Like I said......system apks are in system/app and installed apks are in data/app. Everything else (data) is on SD storage.
    04-22-2013 07:54 PM
    Like I said......system apks are in system/app and installed apks are in data/app. Everything else (data) is on SD storage.
    Yes, but your statement makes it sound like /data/app and SD storage are two different areas. They are not. Installing a bunch of applications takes away from SD storage, and copying a bunch of MP3s takes away from application storage.

It's kind of like saying that users post in the Galaxy S III forums or the Galaxy S 4 forums. All other posts are in the Android Central forums. Really, they are all the Android Central forums.

(I say "kind of", because while /system is on the SD card it may as well be separate because it doesn't share space in the same what that /data/app and SD storage do.)
    04-22-2013 08:11 PM
    If you are a gamer, no way in heck is 16gb enough. Keep in mind actual free space will be a little over 12gb. A lot of games are over 1gb and other apps also use the space.
    04-22-2013 10:29 PM
    Coming from an iPhone here. Would an app like RDIO sync to local storage or to the SD card?
    Like can apps in general sync data to SD cards?
    There's been a lot of talk about games here but not other apps. On my phone I have 5gb of podcasts downloaded(from icatcher), 8gb of music(from RDIO) and 20gb of video(from plex)
    Would all of that be stored on the SD or would it be stored on the 16gb internal storage?
    04-22-2013 11:13 PM
    Coming from an iPhone here. Would an app like RDIO sync to local storage or to the SD card?
    Like can apps in general sync data to SD cards?
    There's been a lot of talk about games here but not other apps. On my phone I have 5gb of podcasts downloaded(from icatcher), 8gb of music(from RDIO) and 20gb of video(from plex)
    Would all of that be stored on the SD or would it be stored on the 16gb internal storage?
    Media files go to your SD card. Apps go to your internal memory. So music, pictures and videos can go on your SD card if you want them to.
    04-23-2013 07:02 AM
    I am just hoping that when 24th comes T-Mobile will also have an option to order the 32 Gb GS4. If not, then I don't think I will end up ordering a 16gb phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So did you decide what you were going to do? The 16GB GS4 has about 9GB of internal memory for apps when you get the phone. And there is no way to move them to the SD card unless you are rooted. AT&T has announced a 32GB version coming on the 10th.
    05-06-2013 10:31 PM
    People assume the sdcard0 on the S3 is the sd card and it is not. NO app data goes to the external card with Jellybean. It was a security and quality issue due to when the option exisited, people would swap cards or buy cheap ones and not make the connection the problem with the apps or OS was the card.

Not sure how else to get people to understand, but since both Samsung and Verizon (as example) are directly misleading/lying to people you can put apps on the sd card- No surprise.
    mak916 likes this.
    05-07-2013 08:58 AM
    So did you decide what you were going to do? The 16GB GS4 has about 9GB of internal memory for apps when you get the phone. And there is no way to move them to the SD card unless you are rooted. AT&T has announced a 32GB version coming on the 10th.
    I am waiting for a T-Mobile 32 GB GS4 model. I was hoping that it would be released by the 10th of the month. I read it somewhere. Lets see hoping for the best.
    mak916 likes this.
    05-07-2013 10:51 PM
    I would wait too. I think that would be best.
    05-08-2013 11:21 PM
    16Gb works for those who can live with the limited space or don't see a need to go bigger. I opted to wait and it paid off for me, I got the 32GB today.
    05-11-2013 09:15 PM
    Barely. Thank God this will be the last generation of 16GB flagship phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    05-11-2013 09:18 PM
    Can you explain how you do this? This would save me some internal memory on my games.
    Yes.. i'd like to know also.. tried moving picture folders of Tango and Viber containing profile pics to my SD Card and when I launched those apps the profile pics are no longer visible. . only when I replaced them did the profile pics was visible again.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-12-2013 05:54 AM
    Yes.. i'd like to know also.. tried moving picture folders of Tango and Viber containing profile pics to my SD Card and when I launched those apps the profile pics are no longer visible. . only when I replaced them did the profile pics was visible again.

Posted via Android Central App
    You could probably move your pictures individually to your sd card into a new folder. That way you could see them in your Gallery. But you still will not be able to see them through the app. I think the person who was saying that they could move their apps to the sd card was thinking about the way it use to be. I don't think they understand that Google changed how apps are stored now. It's not up to the developer to be able to make the apps work on the sd card, it's Google. I didn't want to argue the point so I left it alone. But now that the S4 is out, everyone is talking about the low memory with no place to put large apps. This is going to be a big problem for Android in the coming future.
    05-12-2013 09:44 AM
    There's just so many options nowadays. I have absolutely no need for the 32GB version, but I have one anyways. I've also got a 32GB SD card and as a previous Nexus 4 owner, I've got 50GB cloud storage from Box.

So if you're someone who has the 16 or 32GB version, the internal storage can be used for apps and games and everything else can be used for media. I'll load up my SD card with movies/music, use Box for pictures, and the rest of my internal storage will probably be free.

So you just need to find out if your apps take up 9GB or not to decide. Or if you're in the market of buying one and don't mind the extra $50, get the 32GB regardless. It reinforces AT&T's decision to release the 32GB version and it will be worth more later on when you trade it in or sell it.
    05-12-2013 10:49 AM
71 123