Is 16 GB sufficient for a GS4

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So, I am in a dilemna. I am planning to get GS4 on the 1st day of launch on T-Mobile. What I am reading online is that it will launch in the 16GB version.
The question I have got is whether that would be enough. I am planning to get a 64 Gb memory card for my media but is 16 Gb enough for apps especially games?
Just to give you an idea of my app hoardng habits - I at one point of time had apps touching 200 in count on my iphone 5 64 Gb and ran out of space :p

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It depends on the size of the games. Some games are well over 1GB. I had one game that was almost 2GB. If you are looking at Gameloft games, I would say that 16GB might not be enough.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So, I am in a dilemna. I am planning to get GS4 on the 1st day of launch on T-Mobile. What I am reading online is that it will launch in the 16GB version.
The question I have got is whether that would be enough. I am planning to get a 64 Gb memory card for my media but is 16 Gb enough for apps especially games?
Just to give you an idea of my app hoardng habits - I at one point of time had apps touching 200 in count on my iphone 5 64 Gb and ran out of space :p

Well, if you filled up a 64GB Iturd 5, then I think you've answered your own question.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a hard time recommending a 16 gb phone to anyone resembling a power user. Lack of the larger storage option at launch is a big reason I'm considering the HTC One over the GS4.

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a hard time recommending a 16 gb phone to anyone resembling a power user. Lack of the larger storage option at launch is a big reason I'm considering the HTC One over the GS4.

I think I can safely consider myself a power user. I was wondering then what option do I have without any compromises?!

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd wait for the 32 gb option and get that and get a 64 gb micro SD. 32 gb should be plenty for apps and 64 should be good for media

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd wait for the 32 gb option and get that and get a 64 gb micro SD. 32 gb should be plenty for apps and 64 should be good for media

I think that makes sense. Hate waiting though. Hope t-mobile pleasantly surprises with a 32 gb option

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
No app installs to SD since Gingerbread. I don't see this feature EVER coming back. Samsung has ruined 3 models in a row (Note 2. Note 8.0, GS4) in the US by launching only the "volume" 16Gb version. Way to ruin otherwise top-notch devices, Samsung!! Also, VZW discontinued the 32Gb GS3 about 5 months after it launched!

Yell0w

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I got a 32GB SG3 and I don't regret it. It's more of a peace of mind knowing I have extra space to play around with.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
No app installs to SD since Gingerbread. I don't see this feature EVER coming back. Samsung has ruined 3 models in a row (Note 2. Note 8.0, GS4) in the US by launching only the "volume" 16Gb version. Way to ruin otherwise top-notch devices, Samsung!! Also, VZW discontinued the 32Gb GS3 about 5 months after it launched!

Actually, it never went anywhere. You just have to root the device. But yes, non-rooted app installs have been ousted.

I understand most people don't root so for those that don't you'll either have to wait for the 32GB or deal with 16GB of onboard storage for apps and put your other media on the micro SD.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have 230 apps on my GS3 and still have some space left. I have a 16GB S3 with a 32GB SD Card... Most apps are less than 1GB u should be fine

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.0

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have 230 apps on my GS3 and still have some space left. I have a 16GB S3 with a 32GB SD Card... Most apps are less than 1GB u should be fine

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.0

Wow that's interesting...
Do you mind sharing, out of the 230 apps, how many are games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you are not playing a lot of fancy games then 16GB should be okay. You can put music, videos, pictures, etc. on the SD Card.

If you are playing a bunch of elaborate games then I would wait for the 32GB model. As others have said... some of the "High Definition" games which are virtually game console quality can be 2GB each!

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I also have a question, not being on Android as my primary platform.. The additional files that some graphics heavy games download after installation.. Can they be redirected to the SD card?

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I also have a question, not being on Android as my primary platform.. The additional files that some graphics heavy games download after installation.. Can they be redirected to the SD card?

It all goes to the internal memory. I wish it would go to the sd card.

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
It all goes to the internal memory. I wish it would go to the sd card.

That's not quite true. There are multiple ways that Android developers can prefer the external card when downloading the supplementary data, and some of the larger games I have downloaded do install the game files to the SD card.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Threads like this kills me sometimes. There is no one answer... Depends what you use your phone for. I can survive on 16Gb but my friend with boat loads of music could use a 64...soo...gauge your usage and there you go.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

SpiralBorg

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Threads like this kills me sometimes. There is no one answer... Depends what you use your phone for. I can survive on 16Gb but my friend with boat loads of music could use a 64...soo...gauge your usage and there you go.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

It depends. Do you stock your phone with apps, music, folders and such, get the 64GB. Or, you download small, casual games, and no music. 32GB.
If you just download on a monthly basis, with small files, 16GB.

The S4 has a SD Card slot, so much of what I said, I don't care about.

Sent from my XOOM.