Is 16 GB sufficient for a GS4

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That's not quite true. There are multiple ways that Android developers can prefer the external card when downloading the supplementary data, and some of the larger games I have downloaded do install the game files to the SD card.

That seems like a saving grace in terms of space. Thanks for the info!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
No app installs to SD since Gingerbread. I don't see this feature EVER coming back. Samsung has ruined 3 models in a row (Note 2. Note 8.0, GS4) in the US by launching only the "volume" 16Gb version. Way to ruin otherwise top-notch devices, Samsung!! Also, VZW discontinued the 32Gb GS3 about 5 months after it launched!

Verizon still sells the 32GB GS3, you simply need to order it online or have the store order it for you. Its just not stocked at the store since most people seem to be price sensitive, I mean really $50 more for double the storage and what it means post Gingerbread OS and not being able to store apps on the SD card.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
From my experience with WindowsPhone, Android and iOS devices, have at least 32GB on Android is a necessity and it's something you just can't address with a microSD card. If you can afford to wait for the 32GB I would recommend you do so. I am, and AT&T has nothing more than coming soon on their site.

thoughthalo

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Verizon still sells the 32GB GS3, you simply need to order it online or have the store order it for you. Its just not stocked at the store since most people seem to be price sensitive, I mean really $50 more for double the storage and what it means post Gingerbread OS and not being able to store apps on the SD card.

I agree. Isn't this level of sensitivity for double the data impacting the quality of the android experience. :(

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's not quite true. There are multiple ways that Android developers can prefer the external card when downloading the supplementary data, and some of the larger games I have downloaded do install the game files to the SD card.

Can you explain how you do this? This would save me some internal memory on my games.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Can you explain how you do this? This would save me some internal memory on my games.

Many older games and apps can be moved to the sd card. Not all, but many.
Each phone does it a little different, so just go and pretend to uninstall the app, but hit the move to sd card button instead.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Each phone does it a little different, so just go and pretend to uninstall the app, but hit the move to sd card button instead.

Have you tried doing this on a Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4?

I know you can do that on older phones... but I haven't seen that ability on newer phones.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
It sucks they don't release the 32 and 64 at the same time. My biggest gripe. With the level of Android games now they need too. One of the reasons i got the HTC one.
But they botched the multi tasking so back it goes and guess i just won't download all the games I have bought ( but don't play anyway) but something we shouldn't have to worry about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I also have a question, not being on Android as my primary platform.. The additional files that some graphics heavy games download after installation.. Can they be redirected to the SD card?

You can move them manually with a file explorer, but it might effect the app because I'm sure the app will read files from where it's stored on the pbone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I was also wondering about this. I had a GS3 32GB and on top of that I had a 32GB MicroSD, so I NEVER worried about storage TBH, but my GS3 broke and now I'm using my GS2 16GB with the 32GB MicroSD, and I'm fine, though of course, I don't play many HD games, I've got a iPad4 for that.

That said, I'd love to get a 32GB GS4 this coming Saturday, we are getting the Exynos variant down here, so maybe we'll be lucky to get a 32GB variant at launch.

ratchetjaw#AC

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
With a 13 MP camera on board it isn't nearly enough. Not even close. 32GB minimum.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Camera can be saved to SD card. That shouldn't matter. HD games is the only valid issue that can't be moved without root

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

enzo316

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it's good enough for apps. I have a 64GB card for all my media needs.

For the $50 price difference you can buy a 64GB card... So unless you really plan on piling apps and HD games on your phone I think the card is the way to go.

SERBDVB

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I just order one S4 16GB with 32GB class10 MicroSD , and i think that i'll be ok , the two game i will download is Fifa 12 and PGA TigerWoods , all my music and pic's will go to Micro SD , so life is good :)

mak916

May 17, 2010
Visit site

This doesn't work with the GS3. You can only put media files on the sd card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34