To the HTC One "premium build" supporters...

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
First off, to each his own. Everyone should get the phone they like. I'm not saying my view is the "right" opinion. The S4 will be my first non iPhone, as I've had them since the original. I hear a lot of people saying they prefer the One because of the "premium feel/build" due to the aluminum casing.

1. If you plan on putting the phone in a case, then why does it matter what it's made of? It could be made of greenish copper if it's just going to be covered. (I don't like phones in cases, so this is moot for me personally)

2. I actually feel like I had to be much more careful with my iPhone 5 and original iPhone (neither in a case) because they were aluminum. I actually have to think before I place do something as simple as place my iPhone 5 on a surface, making sure it won't get scratched. With the S4, I'm glad I won't have to treat the phone this way. And if the worst happens and the back gets damaged, I can replace it easily.

I played with the One in store the other day and just wasn't at all seeing what others do in that phone. Looks clunky and weird to me. Just my thoughts.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Have to agree, I've never understood the obsession with metal build, always preferred plastic, it's lighter, more flexible and doesn't scratch easily. I also don't use cases, hate them.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Agreed! Who cares what the phone feels like? I could care less if it was made of steel, as long as the performance is top notch I'm good... I always get a case anyways

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
To the HTC One "premium build" supporters detractors...

1. Why do you care?

2. See number one.

I've never seen so many people care about how other people spend their money.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
To the HTC One "premium build" supporters detractors...

1. Why do you care?

2. See number one.

I've never seen so many people care about how other people spend their money.

Last time I checked this was a forum, no? Opinions should be freely expressed whether he/she like them or not. ;)

Reformed IOS User

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I care about build quality but not a fancy aluminum back

I am tired of my iPhone
I want
Light weight
Replaceable battery
Large screen
External memory

I don't really care what the back of my phone looks like

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it has to do with people feeling like they're getting more for their dollar when it comes to metal over plastic. Aluminium just because it's a metal has "more worth" than plastic, although both materials are dirt cheap to manufacture. And so when you pay a high price for something you want what could be considered the best materials to match the price, although the material cost of aluminium isn't outer worldly. Kind of hard to explain, but that's about the best I can put it. As for putting a metal phone in a case, it all comes back to that initial price point and getting a more "richer" material. Their phone will be metal no matter what's covering it. It's materialism and we're all guilty of it in different ways, shapes, and forms. It just may not be for phones for some people. It's kind of like those that only wear clothes from high end retail stores and can't bear to wear anything else, while some could be happy with a shirt from JCPenney. There isn't that much different the phones, just saying different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I was just thinking to myself, you know what this forum needs? Another s4 vs one build "quality" thread.

Sent from my Note 2

Suda

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I was just thinking to myself, you know what this forum needs? Another s4 vs one build "quality" thread.

Sent from my Note 2

Was this before or after you blew out the candles on your birthday cake? Because your wish came true, now post something good.

Quite frankly I like this one more. Everything seems to be civil so far except for one comment and good discussion has potential to take place.

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it has to do with people feeling like they're getting more for their dollar when it comes to metal over plastic. Aluminium just because it's a metal has "more worth" than plastic, although both materials are dirt cheap to manufacture. And so when you pay a high price for something you want what could be considered the best materials to match the price, although the material cost of aluminium isn't outer worldly. Kind of hard to explain, but that's about the best I can put it. As for putting a metal phone in a case, it all comes back to that initial price point and getting a more "richer" material. Their phone will be metal no matter what's covering it. It's materialism and we're all guilty of it in different ways, shapes, and forms. It just may not be for phones for some people. It's kind of like those that only wear clothes from high end retail stores and can't bear to wear anything else, while some could be happy with a shirt from JCPenney. There isn't that much different the phones, just saying different strokes for different folks.

Yeah, I can see that. I think my point is that "premium" aspect may sound good, but does bring a downside. I liked the feel of the S3 (despite that it was plastic), but ultimately didn't care for the display (preferring the retina iPhone display), or else I would have switched sooner than the S4.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Was this before or after you blew out the candles on your birthday cake? Because your wish came true, now post something good.

Ok here goes...

Obviously there is no one right answer or htc apple and Samsung would all be using the same material and same basic design.

There is a lot more to the design of a phone than simply the choice of material. All this talk of the one having a "premium design" because it's metal is foolish. And then you get all the people who read that, don't know anything about materials or design and then get the one because of all this premium hype and then are shocked by all the plastic on the phone. I'm not saying it's a bad design or a bad phone by any stretch but people should no what they're getting and know what they're talking about.

As far as design concept I prefer the s4 to the one. If you look at the one head on I think the large speakers and the large bezel give the phone a dated look. To me it looks like a render of a futuristic boombox from the 80s. I think the edge to edge look of the s4 is the premium look. For my purposes I'll take the largest case I can handle and then I want the biggest screen you can pack into that case.

I'm holding out for the note 3 or the note 4. And I'm hearing rumors that the case won't be plastic, could be very interesting.

Sent from my Note 2

CPmillenia94

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
^Agree with everything in that post. I liked the design of the one until I realized how large the bezel looked, and suddenly it looked very dated compared to the impressively expansive display on the s4, which is nearly the same size. As long as the phone is solid feeling and looks nice then I'm happy. I'm not sure how the s4 feels but it surely has striking design. I'm really digging the faux metal band this time (something that went really wrong on the s3) and the more flattens and straight edged look. Its like everything I liked about the s2 and the s3 combined.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

vwarp

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
For some build quality is a deciding factor, just like for you it is not. Personal preference... Feel free, buy your S4, there is no need to justify your reasons.

P.S. If this were a poll, I would choose Build Quality.. :D

epik16

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Plastic is the functional, practical, and more minimalistic choice.

Going with the heavier, larger, more complicated metal option just for the look and feel of it is fashionable and detracts from how light/thin and easy to use the phone can be. I really hope those reports of samsung going to metal are wrong or at least they engineer a better way than apple/htc because you can't get the great 5" screen in the lightweight and thin body of the S4 with metal, you can look to HTC and Apple to see the failures.