S3 User, Test Driving the One Until S4 Available

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
As previously stated, I want to like this phone and I am putting it thru its paces for the ATT remorse period until the S4 is available.

This post will also be posted in the HTC threads. Let me clear, I am NOT a Samsung fan boy. I am loyal to no brand or OS and go back and forth between iOS and Android. I am currently using an S3.

THE GOOD:

1. Build design and materials(not a comment on quality) is as good as advertised. Feels and looks great.

2. Display also as good as advertised, bright and sharp.(Size too small, especially with black bar, see below)

3. FAST, everything is lightening quick.

4. BoomSound/Beats: For me personally, having the loud speakers is a waste since I always keep the phone on vibrate and consume media thru headphones but the quality is there. HOWEVER, output thru my bluetooth headphones is simply the best I've heard. Toggling Beats on and off was quite noticeable. Well done HTC.

5. Native Exchange client: good enough that I dont feel the need to install Touchdown. Set up easy, good functionality.

6. Native SMS client: Way better than Sammy's, no need for Handcent. Nice customizations and swiping reveals lots of neat info on contacts. Also, great pic sync for contacts.

7. HTC keyboard, nicely done. Space bar is a bit sticky but feel no need to use SwiftKey. Miles better than Sammy's.

THE BAD:

1. LED light. I like being able to tweak the color so I can glance at the phone and know who are what notifications are waiting for me. Even Blackberry lets you tweak the color. Having to turn on the screen every time is a battery waster and feeds into other problems...see below.

2. Dreaded Black Bar: HTC's decision to eschew a menu key, while in technical compliance with Google spec(for u Adrian ) forces a black menu bar into many apps(like Facebook) chewing up already limited screen space. Granted 4.7 vs. 4.8 or 5.0 is a personal choice but for me when the black bar is present, everything seems cramped.

3. No settings toggles in the pull down shade. SILLY HTC. I know there are 3rd party apps and widgets but this is just a stupid omission as many professional reviews have noted.

4. Maybe I am missing it, but no way to show battery % on the status bar. I'm sure it's available 3rd party but again, silly.

5. Blinkfeed, nowhere near as elegant or comprehensive as Flipboard so what was the point of forcing it on the user? You can't like/comment in the Facebook or Twitter feeds without being taken to the apps themselves, which defeats the purpose. Flipboard lets you like/comment within Flipboard itself. 10x better.

THE UGLY:

1. Style over function, the switch gear on this phone while aesthetically pleasing is a disaster. For a right hander who holds the phone in his left hand, as I'm sure most do, the power button is in the worst possible place and to make matters worse, it's flush. It is near impossible to activate this phone by feel. For me, because of the poor LED, I constantly have to fiddle with the switch just to find out if I have an notifications. Likewise the volume rocker can't be used by feel since there is no way to distinguish up from down.

2. Soft Keys. As MANY others have complained, the back and home buttons seem to have a mind of their own. It only registers my input 1 out of 3 times. Worse still, they dont light up when the screen is on. They only light up in extreme dark conditions. I've looked everywhere for settings and found none. In all but the best lighting conditions or a dark room, it's total guess work as to where the keys are and then it's a crap shoot as to whether my press is registered.

UNTESTED: call quality

TOO SOON TO TELL: Battery life, only 2 charges so far and so much screen time, not fair to comment yet. Camera, only had time for some indoor shots which as expected for this phone are acceptable.

There you have it. The good, the bad and the ugly.

jrvtecaccord

May 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Style over function, the switch gear on this phone while aesthetically pleasing is a disaster. For a right hander who holds the phone in his left hand, as I'm sure most do, the power button is in the worst possible place and to make matters worse, it's flush. It is near impossible to activate this phone by feel. For me, because of the poor LED, I constantly have to fiddle with the switch just to find out if I have an notifications. Likewise the volume rocker can't be used by feel since there is no way to distinguish up from down.

That was one of the main reasons why I returned the One X within a few days when it first came out. If I recall correctly, the power button was on the top right with very little feel making pressing the button difficult. The LED notification on the One X would stop after a set time, sounds like the One is the same. I really wanted to try the One, but knowing this, it would be a return.

I am an S3 user waiting on the next Nexus, if it has LTE I will be on board, if not S4 it is until the Note 3.

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
1. LED light. I like being able to tweak the color so I can glance at the phone and know who are what notifications are waiting for me. Even Blackberry lets you tweak the color. Having to turn on the screen every time is a battery waster and feeds into other problems...see below.

You said you had an S III, and it sounds like you weren't using Lightflow. How do you typically tweak the notification colors? I'd love to do that, but Lightflow is the only method I'm familiar with.

I am an S3 user waiting on the next Nexus, if it has LTE I will be on board, if not S4 it is until the Note 3.

What if the rumors are true and Google releases an updated Nexus 4 with LTE next month? Same phone, but with LTE support. I'm just curious...

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You said you had an S III, and it sounds like you weren't using Lightflow. How do you typically tweak the notification colors? I'd love to do that, but Lightflow is the only method I'm familiar with.

I use Handcent for SMS, lets me customize colors by contact and Touchdown for exchange mail which lets me select the color so it's different than gmail.

What if the rumors are true and Google releases an updated Nexus 4 with LTE next month? Same phone, but with LTE support. I'm just curious...

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious about something since no one I know has a Nexus device. Does the Nexus have the black bar issue as well?

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious about something since no one I know has a Nexus device. Does the Nexus have the black bar issue as well?

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

No. I came from a Galaxy Nexus and also own a Nexus 7. Black bar w/ "settings/menu" sticks out like a sore thumb.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
It was totally unnecessary too. All they had to do was but a menu button where the HTC logo is and there would be no issue.

I agree. Or long press the back button...

It's probably the only thing I hate on this phone. Coming from a GN, this is a quantum leap in every single department (except software lol).

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Or long press the back button...

It's probably the only thing I hate on this phone. Coming from a GN, this is a quantum leap in every single department (except software lol).

I've had the phone only 2 days and I'm already bored with it. Very few customizations and settings to play with. Sense seems dark and dreary. Used to the colors on Touchwiz.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had the phone only 2 days and I'm already bored with it. Very few customizations and settings to play with. Sense seems dark and dreary. Used to the colors on Touchwiz.

Maybe it's not for you. I do know that of the skins I've tried, I prefer Sense. TW is a laborious, cumbersome beast.

I prefer stock, and my One will be stock once the dev support comes.

(Which, btw, is a good mark for the One; I believe CM said they were reluctant to support the S4)

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's not for you. I do know that of the skins I've tried, I prefer Sense. TW is a laborious, cumbersome beast.

(Which, btw, is a good mark for the One; I believe CM said they were reluctant to support the S4)

You are correct.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I don't root but I do play with various launchers. Actually since Jelly Bean I've just been using stock Touchwiz and have no issues with it. Looking forward to 4.2.2 on the S4

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I too have the One and love everything about it, except the power button. I've never thought a single feature would give me second thoughts about keeping an otherwise awesome device, but having to constantly fumble around with the phone to turn it on sucks big time. Turning on a phone should not require two hands.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I too have the One and love everything about it, except the power button. I've never thought a single feature would give me second thoughts about keeping an otherwise awesome device, but having to constantly fumble around with the phone to turn it on sucks big time. Turning on a phone should not require two hands.

I'm left handed, so naturally I can turn it on/off with ease lol

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm left handed, so naturally I can turn it on/off with ease lol

Being right handed I have to either hold the phone in my left and turn it on with my right or turn the phone on with my right hand and transfer it to my left hand. Whoever designed that and thought that was the best placement should be shot along with Chou.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes