Galaxy S4 Scratch Test (VIDEO)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I would go even further and say not only are these knife and key tests unreliable, they're pretty much useless.

How is it useless? I wouldnt go that far to say it's useless
I bet if the phone did scratch with this test, people would would say "omg this phone build quality sucks" etc.etc.
I think its good to show the durability of minor pressure applied to the phone, like when its in ur pocket or something.
They aren't reliable, but it does give you an idea of the strength of Gorilla Glass 3

The only useless test I can say is useless is the blending

xioser

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thats a good start, i was wondering whether i needed a screen shield, i think i can get away with it. Not the most convincing test but its the first test ive seen so a thumbs up from me. Would have liked to see the phone get a bit more bashing.....any volunteers :)

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Metal won't scratch the screen. They need to test it with sand and small rocks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
That is lovely! I do not understand how scratch tests are unreliable? I think that this is even more extreme than the phone being in my pocket with keys or change. And knowing I wont have to worry about it, is great! I don't normally put rocks or sand in my pockets, and if I did, my phone would not also be in there....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That is lovely! I do not understand how scratch tests are unreliable? I think that this is even more extreme than the phone being in my pocket with keys or change. And knowing I wont have to worry about it, is great! I don't normally put rocks or sand in my pockets, and if I did, my phone would not also be in there....

Then cue the 85 threads posted immediately after launch that go a little something like this...

"OMG Gorilla Glass sucks so bad, had it for 4 hours, already scratched 8 times! What a joke! I'm getting a [insert random device that user doesn't realize has the same glass but thinks it will be impervious anyway]"

It's a fact of life in these parts :p.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Then cue the 85 threads posted immediately after launch that go a little something like this...

"OMG Gorilla Glass sucks so bad, had it for 4 hours, already scratched 8 times! What a joke! I'm getting a [insert random device that user doesn't realize has the same glass but thinks it will be impervious anyway]"

It's a fact of life in these parts :p.

I think your wrong about this one...Gorilla Glass is actually pretty strong

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's true. There will be those threads. They really did need to use sand and rocks.

Those things didn't really scratch Gorilla Glass 2, either.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Everything scratches. And you will see threads about scratches. Such behavior is as reliable as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. It could be made from sapphires and the tears of saints and still, somehow, people will scratch it.

Water doesn't scratch lol
But I'm sure there will be someone who drops it off a bridge or accidentally drops it out of a moving vehicle and it may scratch...point of the matter is I don't think it would scratch easily even in ur pocket

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Water doesn't scratch lol
But I'm sure there will be someone who drops it off a bridge or accidentally drops it out of a moving vehicle and it may scratch...point of the matter is I don't think it would scratch easily even in ur pocket

I agree with that. I never had a screen protector on my Galaxy Nexus, and that had "not Gorilla Glass but probably Gorilla Glass" and I never managed to scratch it. My fiancee's GN, though? Scratched.

I don't think anything with GG or "modern" glass scratches easily in the pocket. But ease is different than possibility.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I am not saying that rocks and sand wont scratch it. I am saying those things wont be in my pocket with it... ;-)

I laugh inside when people say things like that. Do you have any idea how easy it is to end up with miniscule particles of dirt and sand in your pocket? I could go flip the pockets in a pair of my jeans right now and I guarantee you that, other than lint, there will also be small particles of dust, dirt, and sand. And no, I have never been to a beach, I don't play in sand boxes or the dirt, and I don't even have a job where I could leave the house and be introduced to those particles. Even sliding your phone across a surface which has minute dirt and dust particles could scratch the screen, without you even being able to see those particles. It is scratch tests that test the particles harder than gorilla glass 3 that will give you a realistic idea of how well the glass will hold up. And yes, those particles happen to be sand, and dirt and dust that contain small rock particles.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I laugh inside when people say things like that. Do you have any idea how easy it is to end up with miniscule particles of dirt and sand in your pocket? I could go flip the pockets in a pair of my jeans right now and I guarantee you that, other than lint, there will also be small particles of dust, dirt, and sand. And no, I have never been to a beach, I don't play in sand boxes or the dirt, and I don't even have a job where I could leave the house and be introduced to those particles. Even sliding your phone across a surface which has minute dirt and dust particles could scratch the screen, without you even being able to see those particles. It is scratch tests that test the particles harder than gorilla glass 3 that will give you a realistic idea of how well the glass will hold up. And yes, those particles happen to be sand, and dirt and dust that contain small rock particles.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Which of my bushes are you in? Have you been watching me? Now I feel creeped out! lol You must know all of my habits, schedule, and environment.

Even if I somehow, someway managed to get sand in my shoulder pocket, its loose in there, and wont be rubbing.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I never use any type of screen protector or case. My phone just goes into a pocket by itself. Never once have I scratched a phone with any lint or random debris from my pocket. I think this issue is severely overblown.

Sent from my Huawei Ascend P1

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Everything scratches. And you will see threads about scratches. Such behavior is as reliable as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. It could be made from sapphires and the tears of saints and still, somehow, people will scratch it.

That is true, but it also depends on what happens when scratched. With the S III, I got my first scratch, about 3/4" long, in my first week of owning the device. In the past year, I've picked up at least three more.

What surprises me the most is that I don't actually see the scratches when the screen is turned on. They are easily visible in reflections when turned off, but the Gorilla Glass, probably combined with how integrated the glass, touch, and display are, means that I don't care as much as I would otherwise. With a totally white screen, I'll see extremely thin, hard-to-notice rainbow patterns, but it never actually enters into my attention during regular use.

I think Gorilla Glass 3 mainly focuses on impact resistance, though, not scratching. I also wonder if I've actually scratched some sort of anti-glare or oleophobic coating over the Gorilla Glass, rather than the glass itself, but I am unclear on the finer details of the outer glass manufacturing.