Going from iPhone 5 to S4..

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
And if you really enjoy the iPhone look it is real easy to emulate. Just drag all of your icons onto your home screens and bam! You have iOS. Lol.

On topic, it is a great phone and I've made arguments before about first time people getting this or the HTC one. I've said the s4 time and time again. Just a great overall phone with a ton of support behind it.

Hiruki91

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, I'm going to wait till I can see and mess with it in stores or when a friend has one. I'm not sure if its because I've grown up with apple and I'm nervous about the switch. And an AT&T rep told me if I have a iPhone there's not much difference (I didn't think he knows what he's talking about...) but whoever gets one please update ASAP on how they like it and pros vs cons of it vs iPhone :)

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
One thing that you may appreciate is that Samsung phones have TouchWiz, which DOES make it easier to move over from other platforms(iOS and webOS). Now, the same thing that makes Android diehards dislike TouchWiz is something that you may find yourself preferring. HTC has Sense which is different in other ways. My point is that for those who love pure Android, a number do seem to dislike what Samsung has done, while others do like it.

I am sure you will love your S4 once it comes in, and welcome to the land of Android.

Jordan Walker

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Quick question...im also coming from am iphone. Whenever i get photos I have to download them. Any way I can change that or is that just how it is with android?

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The iPhones are really great phones, especially the 5,,,, but after a short time with the S4 your going to discover how much Apple has fallen back in the last few years,,, it's really a bit sad these days to compare the ip5 to the Note 2, GS3 and the upcoming S4.

It takes a small very easy bit of adjustment going from iOS to Android, but after you make the adjustment and get comfortable with Android picking up and playing with an iphone feels like very limited ancient technology.
Is it the same with not-so-tech-savvy people too? I always thought that most people who are not power users, and who don't tinker with their phone much, won't be able to utilize/experience all the features/flexibility that the Android OS provides, so wouldn't they be better off with a more stable, fool-proof OS like iOS?
Cheers

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Quick question...im also coming from am iphone. Whenever i get photos I have to download them. Any way I can change that or is that just how it is with android?

I like this "having to download" feature. When an image comes in email usually you see it sized to your screen similar to a thumbnail image. By downloading you are saving the original file size to the phone not just a thumbnail-sized image.

daveale

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Just started using S4 today. Coming from iPhone as was a bit fed up with Apple...
Biggest problem I'm having is the lag when looking through email! Every time I open a mail I see the 'loading' symbol which is frankly irritating and having checked out the S4 specs before changing, not expected.
Is this normal in Android?
Want to give the phone more time but phone lag is a real turn-off.
Appreciate your thoughts...

idoesdroid

May 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much ladies and gents! I've been nervous about using my 2-year contract. I hate those things... But I may just do it. The one thing I really like is that you can always upgrade your memory by adding a SD card! But I did notice on ATTs website there's no 32gb model? Is it only going to be a 16? I thought there was a 32. Anyways, yes I've been nervous about the switch cause its two different worlds. Only thing though I've herd it feels kind of cheap with it being a plastic via apple has the glass and such. But that doesn't bother me too much. Does google moniter their apps? Like apple does, in other words just worried about viruses and such. And what do you guys think was the hardest (users who were using th iPhone) thing to do from going to iPhone to andriod or what was the things you had to get used too.

I think the 32GB model is being released a little later but it should be available soon. Can't remember where I saw that at so, I would have to search again to confirm.

I've played with a lot of different phones over the years, both Android and iOS and from my experience, it's not that difficult to make the adjustment. I know that a lot of people complain that the TouchWiz UI from Samsung is bloated and sucks. However, I think it's a great UI for a first time Android user because it contains useful information on how to navigate on the device and how to access their special functions. It pops up as necessary and you can easily disable them when you don't need it anymore. Suffice it to say, I've been quite impressed with the feature even though I'm an experienced Android user. I've turned two former iPhone users to the S3 several months back and they love it. I'm sure the TouchWiz UI on the S4 won't be much different.

On the malware monitoring question - I don't have a good answer for you but as long as you use common sense and only install trusted apps from the Google Store, you don't have much to worry about. Also, just be sure not to enable the device option to install apps from unknown sources. This is off by default so, not much to worry about either.

duchung95

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean? Do you want to transfer the photo from your Android devices to your laptop?
If you want so, just dowload the Dropbox app on playstore for your Android and download a version for laptop. make an account and log in dropbox in your phone and your laptop. Now whenever you take picture, the picture will automatic transferto your phone. Is it help?

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks very much ladies and gents! I've been nervous about using my 2-year contract. I hate those things...

Honestly? If you're just wanting to try out Android, I might start out with a 16gb Nexus 7 tablet. Those things are $200, and if you don't like it, you can always sell it. That wold get your feet wet with Android, and is a lot less riskier than signing a 2-year contract.

As for viruses (your other question), Google does not have humans that vet apps, but they do have automated processes that scan for malware. Malware does happen every once in awhile, but it's very rare, and is usually removed immediately after it is discovered. But you also get to see a list of permissions that the app needs when you install it. So, if you're about to install a game that wants permission to make phone calls, that should be a red flag :) What I do is mostly stick with apps that are recommended by friends, and sites like this.

Hiruki91

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! Someone made a comment on a thread saying that you can upgrade the memory by a micro SD, BUT you cannot use it to store apps or anything that's manditory by the phone. You can only use the internal memory for that. Is that true? Is the SD card only good for pictures, songs and such?

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! Someone made a comment on a thread saying that you can upgrade the memory by a micro SD, BUT you cannot use it to store apps or anything that's manditory by the phone. You can only use the internal memory for that. Is that true? Is the SD card only good for pictures, songs and such?

Yup, I think that's the gist of it, although I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't some sort of hack to get around this :)

dk2463

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I lived in iPhone for 5 years and I found it hard to move over but not impossible and thoroughly worth it. The iPhone photos and music are so proprietary...just get a good app like Easy Phone Transfer and iSyncr if you have pictures and music...once you get them converted over, it's pure heaven.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Just started using S4 today. Coming from iPhone as was a bit fed up with Apple...
Biggest problem I'm having is the lag when looking through email! Every time I open a mail I see the 'loading' symbol which is frankly irritating and having checked out the S4 specs before changing, not expected.

Welcome to android lol

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll be curious to see the answers on this. I've thought about defecting to the iPhone 5 (Jailbroken) for precisely this reason.

Wonye charles

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The thing about Android is when you download an app from the play store whether you delete the app immediately or days after installation, it remains yours or on your account in the play store for re-installation. Therefore worrying about apps not able to download to an sd card is trivial...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX