05-03-2013 02:49 PM
66 123
tools
    Just made the switch from iPhone 4 to Galaxy S4, and I'm loving Android. Unfortunately, I had an initial problem with receiving messages from people who I had previously conversed with via iMessage. Even after disabling the iMessage feature on my deactivated iPhone and Macbook Pro, I was still unable to receive a message from a person I previously iMessaged. After disassociating everything (i.e. accounts, program, iCloud, etc...), and also troubleshooting with AT&T and Apple at their stores, the problem seemed to fix itself over the time period. Looks like this an odd and unexpected problem that people experience when switching phones. I went over all the steps users used (including over the phone with Apple), but for me, it seems like the problem took a while to clear in Apple's ecosystem after completing these various steps.

At the moment, much happier being more invested in the Google Atmosphere. Absolutely loving the S4, and I have been having a blast learning to navigate the Android landscape.
    Good to know. My s4 is pre ordered on Verizon. I will be coming from a iPhone 5. I just turned off my iMessage just to make site I don't run into the same issue. Thanks for the tip.
    04-28-2013 10:15 PM
    I know this is dangerous on an S4 forum but for lots of iPhone users, I would recommend the HTC One. It's not going to be such a big jump in design, simplicity and fluidity. I can see that some people would go straight to the S4 and it is probably better for hardcore Android fans but otherwise, give the HTC One a good look.

Tom
    04-29-2013 05:46 AM
    I will probably get roasted for what i am about to say here but i am returning the S4 and gong back to the iphone. I loved having an S3 briefly but the S4 is just not what i hoped for. The phone lags all the time and TW takes up half of the 16gb internal storage. The iphone's small screen sucks but the phone is just smooth.

I don't think i have the energy to root and run custom ROMs to make the phone awesome this time around. As a wise man once said..."I'm too old for this s**t!".
    04-29-2013 03:39 PM
    I will probably get roasted for what i am about to say here but i am returning the S4 and gong back to the iphone. I loved having an S3 briefly but the S4 is just not what i hoped for. The phone lags all the time and TW takes up half of the 16gb internal storage. The iphone's small screen sucks but the phone is just smooth.

I don't think i have the energy to root and run custom ROMs to make the phone awesome this time around. As a wise man once said..."I'm too old for this s**t!".
    I personally didn't see the lag on the s4. It was smoother than my Gnex

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-2013 08:34 PM
    Having used my S4 since last Friday, still find it lags opening and closing screens but keeps turning itself off in either my pocket or in a leather case in my pocket...
    Just a little extra feedback.
    04-30-2013 04:50 PM

Turn off animations and it runs pretty fast. Turn off the various sensors you aren't using either. Then it gets pretty damn fast.
    04-30-2013 04:58 PM
    Turn off animations and it runs pretty fast. Turn off the various sensors you aren't using either. Then it gets pretty damn fast.
    I've done all these (turned off S voice, animations to 0, all air view and hand gesture sensors off). Unfortunately, still not as fast as iPhone 5. There is tangible lag still. I bet a vanilla android root would fly though.
    04-30-2013 06:43 PM
    So basically turn off everything that makes a Samsung a.. Samsung just to keep things smooth.

Rough.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    04-30-2013 08:11 PM
    I moved from a Iphone 4s to a Samsung S4 in the last two days. Never had an android phone before. Must admit there were times in the first day when I was experiencing buyers remorse because, and only because, I didnt understand how things worked and therefore how to set things up or change things so that the Samsung worked how I wanted it.

However, now 3 days in I dont think I could go back to Apple. Performance wise the phone is incredibly quick and fortunately I havent experience any email lag that some other users have experience. In fact I opened an 8mb attachment on my phone today that opened up faster than it did only Samsung i5 series 9 laptop (granted I was using wi fi but still, was pretty impressed with that.)

So for any people making the Iphone to Android switch, two pieces of advice, one give it some time and be a little patient in getting the phone to look and work the way you want it to (should have taken my own advice on that one a few times!) Secondly, whatever you are having an issue with more likely than not there is an app in the Google store that will fix your issue.

All FWIW and my 2 cents only :-)
    gadgetman#CB likes this.
    05-01-2013 07:58 AM
    I've had my S4 for a day now, coming from an iPhone 4. I've had iPhones since launch so this is my first Android.

I'm quite happy with the S4 but there are some things I miss:

1. Am I the only one that hates in ear headphones? I know I could replace them but then I lose audio controls.

2. Sleep mode. I'm a light sleeper and buzzes wake me up. I love that the iPhone wojld be silent during the hours I specified. I guess I'll just be turning it off at night. Anyone know an app that mimics this?

3. The speaker on the back. This seems like an awful design flaw. I guess the phone alway s needs to be kept face down? Makes it hard to use the phone while taking a call or playing music if it's lying down.

4. Can the keyboard be resized? It takes up so much room especially in portrait mode.

5. Is there a keyboard that will automatically change misspelled words like the iPhone does? I was going to download swiftkey but I notice you still have to select the word from the top.

Other than those little things, I'm definitely happy I made the switch. I just love the screen real estate and all the customizable options. I spent a lot of time reading through how to's before getting the phone so I havent felt the switch to be too frustrating but it does take patience and some research. I haven't noticed any lag yet on my Canadian Fido model although there is a fair amount of irritating bloatware.
    05-01-2013 09:18 AM
    Hey Etceteraism
    I dont know the answers to all your questions and in fact maybe none of them - given this is day 5 on Android but thought I would see what I can do to help alleviation any frustrations.

2. in relation to sleep mode if you put the phone on mute is there still a buzz when a message (etc) comes through? There isnt for me, ie it is completely silent - to do this you use the swipe down settings menu from the top of the screen and then click the Sound button until it says mute.

5. I thought about the swiftkey keyboard but stayed with the stock standard one and now use it by swiping my fingers across the key board to form words (ie instead of pressing the buttons individually). It works a treat and is faster than pressing the buttons, least for me anyway. I also notice two things, you dont have to select the word from the top of the keyboard, whatever the word is in blue at the top thats the word that is going to be used. Secondly you dont need to hit the space bar between words, you just swipe across the screen for the word you are trying to spell then swipe again for the next word etc etc. Its incredibly quick and amazingly accurate at picking the right words. I think its great not having to hit the space bar between swipes.

Anyway hope that helps and apologies if I wasted your time because you know the above.

Cheers
    Simon
    05-02-2013 08:24 AM
    Etceteraism - I don't have an S4 yet (Verizon) but I can answer your questions based on my current Android phone (HTC Sensation)

Sleep mode: I use an app called "Ringer-Volume" for this, it does exactly what you said.
    Keyboard questions: Swiftkey will do what you asked about. You just need to go into the settings and set it up. I have mine set up to insert the correct spelling when I hit the space bar. I have the premium version of Swiftkey on both my phone and my Android tablet and I LOVE it. I believe you can also select the size of the keyboard, so that should solve that problem, too. You can also select different color themes for it.

There is almost ALWAYS an app for any issue you might have with an Android phone. =)
    05-02-2013 10:17 AM
    Agree. iPhone users will notice the cheap build quality, LAG, and in your face Touchwiz. I recommend you turn off as much as possible, disable the massive amount of bloatware then customize the phone to the way you want it to work. Hang on to your iPhone for at least a week. Alot of people switch back one they figure out Android doesn't really offer them anything new or anything they can't get through jailbreaking their iPhone. Your also going to want to root the S 4. Read the S4 forum on XDA Developers for how and why you would do this. What this phone badly needs is custom roms but the bootloader is not unlocked yet.

I know this is dangerous on an S4 forum but for lots of iPhone users, I would recommend the HTC One. It's not going to be such a big jump in design, simplicity and fluidity. I can see that some people would go straight to the S4 and it is probably better for hardcore Android fans but otherwise, give the HTC One a good look.

Tom
    05-02-2013 10:22 AM
    iPhone users will notice lag quite a bit more than Android users. How anyone doesn't see the massive amount of lag on the S4 is beyond me. It's really pathetic given this phones specs.
    I've done all these (turned off S voice, animations to 0, all air view and hand gesture sensors off). Unfortunately, still not as fast as iPhone 5. There is tangible lag still. I bet a vanilla android root would fly though.
    05-02-2013 10:24 AM
    Welcome to android lol
    I hate to break it to you but it's not an Android issue. TW is bloated. No one is denying that, not even Samsung. But here's the thing, if you don't like it, don't use it. There are several other Android devices that have less of bloat and rooting is not required. The HTC One comes to mind and in terms of specs, it's a close match to the S4. This is the beauty of the Android ecosystem - one size does not fit all and there are many sizes (devices) to choose from.

I personally have the S4 and I do have some minor lag issues but I accept that fact since I have most of the bells and whistles turned on in TW. One of my bosses wanted the HTC One and I played with that for a couple of days before giving it to him. I can tell you there's definitely NOT any noticable lag whenever I'm changing between apps/screens, accessing emails, playing a game. I previously had the HTC One X so the One was a pleasant surprise in its performance and UI simplicity.
    05-03-2013 02:43 PM
    iPhone users will notice lag quite a bit more than Android users. How anyone doesn't see the massive amount of lag on the S4 is beyond me. It's really pathetic given this phones specs.
    Fortunately for me, I've not experienced any of these major lag issues that others have mentioned. Just for clarity, I have A LOT of the bells and whistles turned on in TW. I'm attached to my company Exchange server. I have my personal Gmail running in the Gmail app. I have an Outlook.com account and I'm using their app to access. I also have Yahoo accounts where I also use their app for it. I never notice any lag when accessing any of my emails. Yes, I know that I can access all of my email accounts from the email app but universal inboxes do not appeal to me. I don't like it in iOS and I don't like it in BB Z10.
    05-03-2013 02:49 PM
66 123