Going from iPhone 5 to S4..

Hiruki91

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
The thing about Android is when you download an app from the play store whether you delete the app immediately or days after installation, it remains yours or on your account in the play store for re-installation. Therefore worrying about apps not able to download to an sd card is trivial...

So basically it's just like iTunes account? And I've boughten all my music off iTunes, is that going to be a problem putting it on to the android? Like movies, movies, photos?

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What extra price? Top end Android phones are as much or more than an iPhone 5.
I would keep the iPhone 5 as a backup long enough to know you want to stick with Android.

I think that Apple does some stuff really well but the development from other manufacturers means that the extra price of Apple products is fast becoming a waste (that is related to the Macs not the iPhone).
I wish you luck with whatever you choose. I wouldn't recommend keeping the iPhone as a back up as it is a very expensive back up (Lanhoj did say if you can afford it so that isn't a dig at him).

- - - Updated - - -

Same with iTunes.

The thing about Android is when you download an app from the play store whether you delete the app immediately or days after installation, it remains yours or on your account in the play store for re-installation. Therefore worrying about apps not able to download to an sd card is trivial...

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would upload your iTunes music to Google Music and play it from there. Or download it to an SD card or internal memory on the phone. There are plenty of ways of using music form iTunes on an Android device.

So basically it's just like iTunes account? And I've boughten all my music off iTunes, is that going to be a problem putting it on to the android? Like movies, movies, photos?

Hiruki91

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
What extra price? Top end Android phones are as much or more than an iPhone 5.
I would keep the iPhone 5 as a backup long enough to know you want to stick with Android.

Perfect, thank you. I'm selling my 5 cause I just found a 4s that someone gave me. But I'm definitely keeping that as a backup!

- - - Updated - - -

Same with iTunes.

deftonesfiend

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Is it the same with not-so-tech-savvy people too? I always thought that most people who are not power users, and who don't tinker with their phone much, won't be able to utilize/experience all the features/flexibility that the Android OS provides, so wouldn't they be better off with a more stable, fool-proof OS like iOS?
Cheers
Android is ridiculously simple to deal with. Most people, coming from iPhones, over-think the layout. But, the fairest question would be, Why would you want to pay more for a phone (iPhone) that does less just because it's "fool-proof"?

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping to get the s4 but after reading about people Complaining of the lag it has and small storage on the 16gb ill stock with my 16gb iPhone 5 maybe wait for the note 3 or something.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping to get the s4 but after reading about people Complaining of the lag it has and small storage on the 16gb ill stock with my 16gb iPhone 5 maybe wait for the note 3 or something.

And if my Gnex runs smooth then I highly doubt the s4 or HTC one does.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Vizjer

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Just made the switch from iPhone 4 to Galaxy S4, and I'm loving Android. Unfortunately, I had an initial problem with receiving messages from people who I had previously conversed with via iMessage. Even after disabling the iMessage feature on my deactivated iPhone and Macbook Pro, I was still unable to receive a message from a person I previously iMessaged. After disassociating everything (i.e. accounts, program, iCloud, etc...), and also troubleshooting with AT&T and Apple at their stores, the problem seemed to fix itself over the time period. Looks like this an odd and unexpected problem that people experience when switching phones. I went over all the steps users used (including over the phone with Apple), but for me, it seems like the problem took a while to clear in Apple's ecosystem after completing these various steps.

At the moment, much happier being more invested in the Google Atmosphere. Absolutely loving the S4, and I have been having a blast learning to navigate the Android landscape.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Just made the switch from iPhone 4 to Galaxy S4, and I'm loving Android. Unfortunately, I had an initial problem with receiving messages from people who I had previously conversed with via iMessage. Even after disabling the iMessage feature on my deactivated iPhone and Macbook Pro, I was still unable to receive a message from a person I previously iMessaged. After disassociating everything (i.e. accounts, program, iCloud, etc...), and also troubleshooting with AT&T and Apple at their stores, the problem seemed to fix itself over the time period. Looks like this an odd and unexpected problem that people experience when switching phones. I went over all the steps users used (including over the phone with Apple), but for me, it seems like the problem took a while to clear in Apple's ecosystem after completing these various steps.

At the moment, much happier being more invested in the Google Atmosphere. Absolutely loving the S4, and I have been having a blast learning to navigate the Android landscape.

Good to know. My s4 is pre ordered on Verizon. I will be coming from a iPhone 5. I just turned off my iMessage just to make site I don't run into the same issue. Thanks for the tip.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I know this is dangerous on an S4 forum but for lots of iPhone users, I would recommend the HTC One. It's not going to be such a big jump in design, simplicity and fluidity. I can see that some people would go straight to the S4 and it is probably better for hardcore Android fans but otherwise, give the HTC One a good look.

Tom

dcgore

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I will probably get roasted for what i am about to say here but i am returning the S4 and gong back to the iphone. I loved having an S3 briefly but the S4 is just not what i hoped for. The phone lags all the time and TW takes up half of the 16gb internal storage. The iphone's small screen sucks but the phone is just smooth.

I don't think i have the energy to root and run custom ROMs to make the phone awesome this time around. As a wise man once said..."I'm too old for this s**t!".

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I will probably get roasted for what i am about to say here but i am returning the S4 and gong back to the iphone. I loved having an S3 briefly but the S4 is just not what i hoped for. The phone lags all the time and TW takes up half of the 16gb internal storage. The iphone's small screen sucks but the phone is just smooth.

I don't think i have the energy to root and run custom ROMs to make the phone awesome this time around. As a wise man once said..."I'm too old for this s**t!".

I personally didn't see the lag on the s4. It was smoother than my Gnex

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

daveale

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Having used my S4 since last Friday, still find it lags opening and closing screens but keeps turning itself off in either my pocket or in a leather case in my pocket...
Just a little extra feedback.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Turn off animations and it runs pretty fast. Turn off the various sensors you aren't using either. Then it gets pretty damn fast.

brnc

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Turn off animations and it runs pretty fast. Turn off the various sensors you aren't using either. Then it gets pretty damn fast.

I've done all these (turned off S voice, animations to 0, all air view and hand gesture sensors off). Unfortunately, still not as fast as iPhone 5. There is tangible lag still. I bet a vanilla android root would fly though.

morrsn

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

So basically turn off everything that makes a Samsung a.. Samsung just to keep things smooth.

Rough.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

SimonZed

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I moved from a Iphone 4s to a Samsung S4 in the last two days. Never had an android phone before. Must admit there were times in the first day when I was experiencing buyers remorse because, and only because, I didnt understand how things worked and therefore how to set things up or change things so that the Samsung worked how I wanted it.

However, now 3 days in I dont think I could go back to Apple. Performance wise the phone is incredibly quick and fortunately I havent experience any email lag that some other users have experience. In fact I opened an 8mb attachment on my phone today that opened up faster than it did only Samsung i5 series 9 laptop (granted I was using wi fi but still, was pretty impressed with that.)

So for any people making the Iphone to Android switch, two pieces of advice, one give it some time and be a little patient in getting the phone to look and work the way you want it to (should have taken my own advice on that one a few times!) Secondly, whatever you are having an issue with more likely than not there is an app in the Google store that will fix your issue.

All FWIW and my 2 cents only :)

etceteraism

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I've had my S4 for a day now, coming from an iPhone 4. I've had iPhones since launch so this is my first Android.

I'm quite happy with the S4 but there are some things I miss:

1. Am I the only one that hates in ear headphones? I know I could replace them but then I lose audio controls.

2. Sleep mode. I'm a light sleeper and buzzes wake me up. I love that the iPhone wojld be silent during the hours I specified. I guess I'll just be turning it off at night. Anyone know an app that mimics this?

3. The speaker on the back. This seems like an awful design flaw. I guess the phone alway s needs to be kept face down? Makes it hard to use the phone while taking a call or playing music if it's lying down.

4. Can the keyboard be resized? It takes up so much room especially in portrait mode.

5. Is there a keyboard that will automatically change misspelled words like the iPhone does? I was going to download swiftkey but I notice you still have to select the word from the top.

Other than those little things, I'm definitely happy I made the switch. I just love the screen real estate and all the customizable options. I spent a lot of time reading through how to's before getting the phone so I havent felt the switch to be too frustrating but it does take patience and some research. I haven't noticed any lag yet on my Canadian Fido model although there is a fair amount of irritating bloatware.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX