Galaxy S4: the Android Central review

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Awesome in-depth review guys!

I'll most definitely be getting it this summer to replace my S3 but pretty much just to hold me over until the N5 comes out.

I'm personally more interested in the One but don't have the funds to get both unless I cut out the iPhone 5S or N5 which I'm not willing to do...so I'll stick with the S4 for the bigger screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Great review. Despite how good the One looks to be, this review definitely makes my decision between it and the S4 a difficult one.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I really like this review the best of all the others. Explains a lot and goes more in detail
I think all these phone battles come down to what one really needs in the phone in terms of usage and ease.
I definitely need a MicroSD Card and Removable battery so the S4 is a hands down for me
My only plus for the One is the sleek and modern design, other than that, I don't think differences will be too noticeable between the 2 phones (maybe except low light)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Great review. Despite how good the One looks to be, this review definitely makes my decision between it and the S4 a difficult one.

It reaffirmed mine, but that just shows you how close the two devices are imo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Very good review. If one thing is clear, it's that I have a very difficult decision this year. This is the first year in a while I'm not gushing over HTC or Samsung's offering's beforehand. It's very, very close. I'll be in my local Sprint store extensively to try them both out.

Unlike last year, I can afford to wait as well. My EVO LTE is still going strong, the screen still wows me, and the battery life is still great. It might not hurt to waiting to see what the X-phone or Note III have in store...

xgman

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why people are so hung up on the pretty metal HTC one body when 90% of the users will cover it up with cheap plastic cases never to see the metal afterwards. That said, the only reluctance I have to the Galaxy S4 is the continued lack of being readable in sunlight. That's a pretty big deal. The S3 is useless in direct sunlight. I did hold the HTC One and The S3 together under a sunlight which is not exactly direct outside sun, but I could see they both washed out pretty badly, but the S3 was noticeably worse. And for those people that got bored with the ATC One after a while, I got bored with it before I left the store's kiosk. The Samsung OS is just more adaptable. I just wish it had a real lcd screen for outdoors use. The iphone does outdoors right comparatively.

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
My old Note 2 and even older S3 were completely useless outdoors, I agree.

After using my s4 for a few days now I can honestly say I've yet to have to squint or cup my hand over the phone to see anything when in direct sunlight. No auto brightness either. I leave it at a little under 50% and no issues.

I drive a lot for my job, and even though I have the darkest legal tint on my windows, that Florida sun still beats through them so it was hell having a phone that washed out in sunlight. No more with the s4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Great review here. Going to be a tough call for me between the S4 and HTC One. Would like to see a 32GB S4 to have more on board memory. Pluses for the S4 are SD card and removable battery. One has build, screen type, less obtrusive sense versus touchwiz.

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
They said Auto-brightness is not bright enough, but I though you can adjust that on S4 ? Did they adjust it in tests ?

According to DisplayMate, the S4 actually gets brighter on Auto-brightness than is possible with manual control. I think the Android Central review was trying to say that it doesn't get super-bright fast enough, so if you travel from inside to outside, it may take a few seconds for the display to get bright enough to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci