Does the screen have a bluish tint in the whites similar to galaxy s3?

roltzje

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I've read on another site's review.. forgot which one, maybe engadget, hothardware.. or something, that its no longer bluish like older AMOLEDs

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
looks like issue may still be there.

BXUR7hI.jpg

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
the review addresses mostly sharpness, not white color tinting. In fact, i think your review shows the s4 have the most off-white of the it's comparison (look at white ring around chrome sign)

Sorry wrong review
"In fact, the screen?s overall brightness and color quality is as good as we?ve seen on any AMOLED display, including the Galaxy Note 2, with no yellow or greenish discoloration in white areas." http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-review

And again you can't use a picture of a picture to judge color ,the picture is there to compare sharpness

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
they shoul provide white screenshots, something so easy to show rather than claim.

in their screenshots, gs4 does show tinting in my eyes.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry wrong review
"In fact, the screen?s overall brightness and color quality is as good as we?ve seen on any AMOLED display, including the Galaxy Note 2, with no yellow or greenish discoloration in white areas." http://m.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-review

And again you can't use a picture of a picture to judge color ,the picture is there to compare sharpness

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
they shoul provide white screenshots, something so easy to show rather than claim.

in their screenshots, gs4 does show tinting in my eyes.

So you're saying his hands on experience with the device is not authentic. But your picture of a picture vantage point is more accurate?

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So you're saying his hands on experience with the device is not authentic. But your picture of a picture vantage point is more accurate?

yes, evidence is stronger than someone's subjective opinion.

a simple picture of the phone side by side with others will give us indication of color tinting like many other comparison. If you wanted to get fancy, you could do a nice camera that's with proper whitebalance in controlled lighting environments, something totally unnecessary.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
This picture shows what a censor will see under magnification not what you're eye will see . So that image is misleadibd in that regard.

This is only partially true. I can easily see 'graininess' on the S3. The One X (720p), One (1080p) or iPhone 5 have significantly clearer displays. Your Note 2 has RGB AMOLED is much better than the S3 PenTile AMOLED, but it is still not as clear as LCD. The S4 still uses a Diamond Matrix PenTile. Until Samsung uses uniform subpixels, they will always have inferior clarity displays with inaccurate color reproduction. HTC & Apple make the best displays.

Regardless, I plan on getting the S4. It doesn't mean I shouldn't criticize its shortcomings. Still hoping it has a Wolfson DAC.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This is only partially true. I can easily see 'graininess' on the S3. The One X (720p), One (1080p) or iPhone 5 have significantly clearer displays. Your Note 2 has RGB AMOLED is much better than the S3 PenTile AMOLED, but it is still not as clear as LCD. The S4 still uses a Diamond Matrix PenTile. Until Samsung uses uniform subpixels, they will always have inferior clarity displays with inaccurate color reproduction. HTC & Apple make the best displays.

Regardless, I plan on getting the S4. It doesn't mean I shouldn't criticize its shortcomings. Still hoping it has a Wolfson DAC.

I was discussing color. I mentioned the photos were meant for sharpness. I work on the team that develops phOLED molecules. Every day I use cameras to read color wavelengths that our eyes can not see. These cameras are painstakingly calibrated and each one is worth in excess of $40k. These cameras give me coordinates that tell ke what color it is ,we do not count on what we are seeing on the screen. A red green or blue on my Monitor would be different on yours.

I doubt any website designed to review cellphones has the set up to accurately give me the color coordinates of a white display. Until they have that setup relying on their point and shoots rather your own eyes is not the way to go as far as color is concerned.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion only. This is the only downfall with my note 2. Which is amoled screen. Just imagine if Samsung used lcd screen technology to reproduce true natural colors instead if saturated colors.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
The S4 still uses a Diamond Matrix PenTile. Until Samsung uses uniform subpixels, they will always have inferior clarity displays with inaccurate color reproduction. HTC & Apple make the best displays.

I'm going to be nit-picky here, so I hope you'll forgive me.

The PenTile arrangement in the S4 is new so saying "still uses" isn't quite accurate. Pentile does not mean inferior clarity unless you are comparing equivalently dense displays. The clarity stops mattering after a certain point as we run into the limits of human vision. Pentile also doesn't mean inaccurate color reproduction (in terms of real-world vision) because our eyes don't see colors (or even spatial arrangements) uniformly.

Also, HTC and Apple don't make displays, but they do buy really good displays.

In my opinion only. This is the only downfall with my note 2. Which is amoled screen. Just imagine if Samsung used lcd screen technology to reproduce true natural colors instead if saturated colors.

The saturated colors are largely a choice by Samsung, similar to how televisions are tuned to look best in the store. It differentiates their product and many people think the increased saturation looks better when seeing the devices side-by-side. Some of the community ROMs have allowed a significant range for adjustment of the Samsung displays.

It is enough of a complaint, though, that the S4 includes a "standard calibration" mode. It'll be interesting to see a HTC One alongside a Samsung Galaxy S4 running in Adobe color mode (I know the reviews have covered it, but it's difficult to tell in photos).

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

The PenTile arrangement in the S4 is new so saying "still uses" isn't quite accurate. Pentile does not mean inferior clarity unless you are comparing equivalently dense displays. The clarity stops mattering after a certain point as we run into the limits of human vision. Pentile also doesn't mean inaccurate color reproduction (in terms of real-world vision) because our eyes don't see colors (or even spatial arrangements) uniformly.

The saturated colors are largely a choice by Samsung, similar to how televisions are tuned to look best in the store. It differentiates their product and many people think the increased saturation looks better when seeing the devices side-by-side. Some of the community ROMs have allowed a significant range for adjustment of the Samsung displays.

It is enough of a complaint, though, that the S4 includes a "standard calibration" mode. It'll be interesting to see a HTC One alongside a Samsung Galaxy S4 running in Adobe color mode (I know the reviews have covered it, but it's difficult to tell in photos).

^^^^This

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

I don't buy the 'its so dense your eye can't see it' statement. I can easily see the difference between a 4.7" 720 HTC ONE X display and a 4.8" 720 AMOLED S3 display.

I can also see a significant jump in clarity between the 4.7" 720 LCD and the 4.7" 1080 LCD (One X vs One). Every single AMOLED screen I've ever looked at was easily more grainy than it's LCD counterpart.

AMOLED screens also have issues with color gradients.

LCD screens out perform AMOLED in every aspect except black levels. Burn in is even an issue on AMOLED. Its such a poor technology. Very unfortunate.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't buy the 'its so dense your eye can't see it' statement. I can easily see the difference between a 4.7" 720 HTC ONE X display and a 4.8" 720 AMOLED S3 display.

I can also see a significant jump in clarity between the 4.7" 720 LCD and the 4.7" 1080 LCD (One X vs One). Every single AMOLED screen I've ever looked at was easily more grainy than it's LCD counterpart.

AMOLED screens also have issues with color gradients.

LCD screens out perform AMOLED in every aspect except black levels. Burn in is even an issue on AMOLED. Its such a poor technology. Very unfortunate.

I agree 100% with post I can also see the difference

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

LoganK

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was saying that at 5", 1920x1080 is getting to the point where you probably won't differences in clarity between different screens. I can certainly believe you see a difference between 720 and 1080 (especially Pentile), but I think we're nearing the end of that advancement.

The new Pentile layout should also look much better for artificial displays (lines and boxes), but may still show some (very) slight issues with diagonal lines that happen to line up incorrectly. Natural content (such as movies and pictures) tend to hide any such visual cues.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that putting a iphone 5 with retina display against the s4 even know the s4 has 100 or so more ppi you would notice that much difference because of the lcd and retina display.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II