Galaxy S4 - 32GB

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't plan on having 5 or more high end games, but I just can't accept the incredibly low amount of internal storage for the price point knowing that a 32GB is only $50 more and will only show up a week, month or so later. Samsung should simply have skipped the 16GB and focused solely on 32GB and 64GB models. No one would have even questioned it and if Verizon is so hell bent on 16GB only give them an exclusive turd brown 16GB one.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Folks, looks more like per a Verizon rep no 32GB version has been shipped yet for the Qualcomm version and will not until all channels globally are covered for intitial launch. Samsung is apparently avoiding complicating things with two more model SKUs per whatever carriers want to list them. 64gb is a distant thing. A stress test for this information will be if any At&t folks get a 32gb in the next week or so.

crausch

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Just came back from my local AT&T store (South Central PA). The sales person told me he expects the 32-gb models to be in store tomorrow around 1:00pm. He said he can't promise they will have them tomorrow, but maybe 50/50. At least he is acknowledging they exist and that he will be selling them. I will be stopping in again tomorrow to hopefully score mine.

I was in the same store 5 days ago and another sales person said they wouldn't even be selling 32-gb models. The whole problem with AT&T is the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I'll see which hand I get dealt tomorrow. :)

Well, I just got off the phone with the same sale rep. NO 32 gb models came in today. My hopes have been dashed again. He said that he spoke with the Regional Manager and all he got for a date was "Could be tomorrow, or could be a couple weeks". Doesn't anybody in AT&T have straight answers? Oh yeah...the official and exact date put out by AT&T is "Coming Soon". Cause that helps. :-\

Last edited:

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I might buy the Galaxy Note 8 this weekend for my upcoming trip so I have something to use. Waiting this whole mess out to see what happens, and see more reviews of other devices.

I have the money put away for my 32GB Verizon S4 (no contract price) but was considering purchasing the Note 8.0 as I need a new toy.
Hate to dip into my S4 money though. :(

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just got off the phone with the same sale rep. NO 32 gb models came in today. My hopes have been dashed again. He said that he spoke with the Regional Manager and all he got for a date was "Could be tomorrow, or could be a couple weeks". Doesn't anybody in AT&T have straight answers? Oh yeah...the official and exact date put out by AT&T is "Coming Soon". Cause that helps. :-\

I think the point is there probably are no other models until all carriers get the 16gb and then we will see 32gb. A few weeks at best. My guess is June for Qualcomm versions. Seems Samsung bit more than they can chew with a near simultaneous global launch. Verizon was so weary they chose a month later to avoid the fray. This was confirmed by my corporate buddy and I believe him.

Hopefully all the discontent with storage size will compel carriers to offer the 32gb...... Yeah, that's the ticket! ;) .... :(

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the point is there probably are no other models until all carriers get the 16gb and then we will see 32gb. A few weeks at best. My guess is June for Qualcomm versions. Seems Samsung bit more than they can chew with a near simultaneous global launch. Verizon was so weary they chose a month later to avoid the fray. This was confirmed by my corporate buddy and I believe him.

Hopefully all the discontent with storage size will compel carriers to offer the 32gb...... Yeah, that's the ticket! ;) .... :(

Agreed :thumbup::)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the money put away for my 32GB Verizon S4 (no contract price) but was considering purchasing the Note 8.0 as I need a new toy.
Hate to dip into my S4 money though. :(

Ha, somebody that thinks like me.. :) I was going for the full price with T Mobile(they have the 16gb now)for the 16gb, but after reading these forums about the limited storage, even though I am getting a large sd card, I am waiting. My son, and my wife are trying to talk me out it, and my wife trying to dip into the money too!!!:D

I am guessing that full price from T Mobile for the 32gb will be $730.. The 16gb is $630. Hoping I am wrong.. BTW, these should be unlocked too.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Very disappointed. I can't live with 9GB of space and need a phone now for work purposes. I guess it may be something else, but I had hoped it wouldn't come to this.

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
By 2015 android will need 16gb just for operateing system. I Don't know why people complain about 16gb right now don't blame samsung blame android and their partitions .16gb and micro 64gb is more than enough for even if it was 32 gb you would still be loseing 1/3 of it any ways itll be like 20gb of space.

rootyourphones

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
What if the 32gb version only had 4gb app install as partition snd rest as storage would u still buy it?

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I will be waiting it out for the 32GB model and I'm on a GS2 with a cracked screen. I just wish more consumers would do the same thing. Companies are pulling stunts like this and it is our faults as consumers for allowing it. If everyone who wanted the 32GB model would NOT BUY THE 16GB MODEL, AT&T and Samsung would lose revenue until they provided what the consumer demands. Sure, the 16GB model works. Hey, it's fine for 75% of the market, right? What they are doing now is laughing at you guys plunking down $200 - $600 for a phone you don't want knowing that you'll give them even more money for the 32GB model when they allow you to.

To those who denigrate others who want a 32GB or 64GB phone, fine. How about you run our lives and let us know exactly what we 'need' and provide that for us? Or perhaps a list that informs us as to your vast wisdom as to why we don't 'need' a 32GB phone and that a 9GB model is all we 'need'? You don't need to explain to us why we don't need it, we simply have faith in your omniscience in these matters.

I don't 'need' a 32GB smart phone. I WANT A 32GB SMART PHONE!

Mithrandir007

May 9, 2012
Visit site
rootyourphones
By 2015 android will need 16gb just for operateing system. I Don't know why people complain about 16gb right now don't blame samsung blame android and their partitions .16gb and micro 64gb is more than enough for even if it was 32 gb you would still be loseing 1/3 of it any ways itll be like 20gb of space.

People complain because not everyone has the same usage as you seem to have.
For the 32GB version, there should be like 24-25GB left of free space, not 20.
On the 16Gb, there's only around 9GB left.

I currently have a Galaxy SIII 32GB with a 64GB ?SD card.
On my ?SD, I have my music, iGo maps, and various pictures / videos I take with the camera.
My internal memory is used to install apps, since they can't be installed on the ?SD (unless you use something like DirectoryBind, but it's not perfect, and a hassle you shouldn't have on a phone of that price).
I currently have around 11GB of installed apps, including a few games, but almost nothing (GTA III and Vice City being the only bigger games I have installed), since I just did a cleanup.

If you only have small apps, and not too many of them, it won't be a problem, you'll have enough room on your 16GB version.
If you want to install bigger apps or games, it's another story.
There are many games that are over 2GB now (and it'll increase since the processing power and resolution have increased, allowing for bigger textures), so that means you can barely install 4 of them (if that) on the 16GB version.
Then it's app juggling.

Personnally, I root my phones as soon as I get them, but I don't want the hassle of having to use tricks to install apps on the SD card, with the risk some won't work that way, or will be slower.
But some people just don't want to root their phones, so they are simply stuck with 9GB for apps and games, and if they intended to try playing bigger games on the phone (it's a powerful phone, many will want to do that), well.. tough luck, they'll have to juggle between them (and it's really fun to redownload 2GB games each time :p).

So yeah, I really really want this phone, they did almost everything right, but I am waiting for the 32GB version (and will preorder it the second I see it), and won't get the 16GB one.
If they decided not to release a 32GB version, I simply won't get it and wait for them or another competitor to get smarter with a future device., it's just a dealbreaker for me.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Just left the AT&T store. They're doing a great job of playing dumb about the 32gb. Just told me they have no idea when they will be available

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What if the 32gb version only had 4gb app install as partition snd rest as storage would u still buy it?

That would then be no different than the premise is with the current situation. Low app storage. Well, even less by your example.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just left the AT&T store. They're doing a great job of playing dumb about the 32gb. Just told me they have no idea when they will be available

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Which fits the the point my friend from Verizon corporate said. No 32gb exists yet, since Samsung has only shipped the 16gb version of the NA version. Apparently no 32gb exists yet for the Qualcomn version from that respect.

The supply issue is why Verizon is waiting until the end of the month, since they can no even get enough 16gb to cover stores and partners.

Seems the 32gb could be June for most or all. Assuming carriers order them to sell.

Added: Contrary to Gottamobile, no Verizon official has stated they will not carry the 32gb. They have not stated they would either, so flip a coin.

mg8r1016

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
My AT&T store in Maryland said next few weeks he thought, then threw out May 15 before I walked out the door. Tough to leave empty handed but will have to wait a bit longer I guess. Especially thought when the HTC One is starring at me with 32gb!!!! The saga continues!

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't gmes (except Ingress) and use the cloud for pretty much everything so I think I could make it on the 16GB version. That said, my GNEX is plugging along and I would prefer the 32GB model just in case they increase the size of android OS or touchwiz. I am also sorting through the overall likes and dislikes people report back. I am on Verizon so its not even possible for me to break down and succumb to temptation anyway.

Kimberly Boals

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I called the ATT store yesterday and they said they have no idea when the 32 GB will be coming out. I just sold my S3 on Ebay and it takes a few weeks for the money to be available anyways so I am not buying the S4 until the 32 GB comes out. I was disappointed when I heard the S3 had a 32 gig version after I got the 16 gig but I think if I remember it was only for Verizon. I am happy to have read an article that ATT is the only carrier so far that has confirmed they will get the 32 gig version. It is just not worth the $200 to get the 16 gig when I can get the 32 gig for $50 more. Samsung really needs to get their **** together and release it already or say when they will. They shouldn't even have a 16 gig version anymore. Hopefully for the S5 they dump the 16 gig, not even make it and just come out with the 32 and a 64 gig version.

djangodjango

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I've been following this thread for some time now. I live in Switzerland and here only the largest carrier (Swisscom) is getting the S4 32GB. You can only order the 32 GB through the hotline, as I did. It is for some reasons not advertised on their webshop. I just received a phonecall from Swisscom saying that they are sorry for the delay of the S4 32GB. It was supposed to be shipped today. However, Samsung decided to fill the demand of 16GB devices first. I was told that they will have the 32GB by May 13th. So there is a chance that your carriers receive it too by then. I will keep you updated.
Best

Last edited: