01-19-2014 01:03 AM
168 1234 ...
tools
    LOL no, I argue with people for a living as my name implies.

As for plastic, I'll take it from the horse's mouth.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Specs: Samsung VP Confirms Plastic Body, Cites Ease of Production and Durability : Tech : Latinos Post
    Ya... Cause a company the size of Samsung is going to come out and say "We use plastic because its cheaper." Even if it isn't the ONLY reason, you can bet your bottom dollar that it is a big reason. If the S4 already costs more to make than the One (which I haven't read anywhere, but I'll take whoever said it's word), it would cost that much more if it were made of aluminum. Anyway, the point of this thread is that the part number for the Snapdragon 600 chip in the GS4 is not the same part number that every other phone with the 600 has had. Somthing is different. Whether or not you like the rest of of the review doesn't change that fact. It merrits investigation. Maybe it is an improved version of the 600, maybe its an S4 Pro souped up to preform like a 600 and is only a 600 in name. Either way, it merrits investigation so people know what they are getting.
    04-24-2013 10:29 AM
    What it sounds like to me, really, is a marketing ploy. Samsung wanted to call it's chip the S600, so Qualcomm had to do some tuning so that it wouldn't be "just" an S4 Pro.

Also sounds kinda shady. Hopefully, like you said, we'll get more information.
    If you read what he wrote, he believes the chip to be better than the standard and done by Samsung because of the higher clock speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya... Cause a company the size of Samsung is going to come out and say "We use plastic because its cheaper." Even if it isn't the ONLY reason, you can bet your bottom dollar that it is a big reason. If the S4 already costs more to make than the One (which I haven't read anywhere, but I'll take whoever said it's word), it would cost that much more if it were made of aluminum. Anyway, the point of this thread is that the part number for the Snapdragon 600 chip in the GS4 is not the same part number that every other phone with the 600 has had. Somthing is different. Whether or not you like the rest of of the review doesn't change that fact. It merrits investigation. Maybe it is an improved version of the 600, maybe its an S4 Pro souped up to preform like a 600 and is only a 600 in name. Either way, it merrits investigation so people know what they are getting.
    Do you think anyone outside of AC and XDA really care?
    04-24-2013 10:30 AM
    If you read what he wrote, he believes the chip to be better than the standard and done by Samsung because of the higher clock speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think anyone outside of AC and XDA really care?
    Probably not, but does that mean we don't deserve to know?
    04-24-2013 10:33 AM
    And one of the reasons people site when apps aren't updated to comply with the latest style guides from Google is "well, the biggest selling phone has a menu key". Last year, cool, I got it. ICS was still fairly new. This year, not so much. Apps need to be updated. A huge manufacturer like Samsung has the capability to help with that by going along with what Google is recommending.
    I agree with you conceptually. But in reality, apps like Facebook havent updated. Sammy is just giving consumers a better experience by including the menu key. There are many things I like about my One but the black bar on apps like Facebook isnt one of them.
    And if they sell 70-100 million of these suckas I'd have to say they made the right choices. Marketing only gets you so far.
    You missed the point. Samsung would never say "aluminum/glass/metal is better, but we still went with plastic." Plastic is cheaper.

Next you're going to tell me that it has nothing to do with profit margins.
    I'm on page 1 of this review and already this guys shows stupidity. Samsung uses plastic not because it's cheap but because it's easier to manufacture in large quantities, enabling it to meet demand and sells 10s of millions of units. I seem to recall that S3's and the S4 actually cost more to make than the One so that argument is simply bogus and ignorant.
    Not exactly the "holy grail" that everyone says it is I guess.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.
    04-24-2013 10:36 AM
    You missed the point. Samsung would never say "aluminum/glass/metal is better, but we still went with plastic." Plastic is cheaper.

Next you're going to tell me that it has nothing to do with profit margins.
    You asked me to back up my claim that they use plastic because it's easier and quicker and I did. Now you are arguing whether Samsung is lying about its reasons. Ok whatever.

Of course it's about profit. But if they cant deliver enough devices to the market because of manufacturing delays then they wont sell enough devices to make a profit.
    04-24-2013 10:37 AM
    Ok so everyone got off topic here...

Anyways, I have not read the original article, just the quoted part posted. That would be very interesting to find out they are just using a tweaked pro and not the 600. I read AC review and they did mention it was just overall slower feeling than the HTC one. Could be a valid reason for this....I'm sure someone will break it down here soon and find out what is really going on.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    04-24-2013 10:58 AM
    I knew there was something fishy when I saw the specs on the AT&T page...good thing I ordered the Exynos version
    04-24-2013 11:00 AM
    You asked me to back up my claim that they use plastic because it's easier and quicker and I did. Now you are arguing whether Samsung is lying about its reasons. Ok whatever.

Of course it's about profit. But if they cant deliver enough devices to the market because of manufacturing delays then they wont sell enough devices to make a profit.
    Nope. I'm simply saying that any company should/would say that what they use, or how they do it, is the best way. Them saying otherwise wouldn't be good for business.
    04-24-2013 11:16 AM
    I'm on page 1 of this review and already this guys shows stupidity. Samsung uses plastic not because it's cheap but because it's easier to manufacture in large quantities, enabling it to meet demand and sells 10s of millions of units. I seem to recall that S3's and the S4 actually cost more to make than the One so that argument is simply bogus and ignorant.
    Doesn't mean that's due to the plastic case. Could be other factors that increase it's manufacturing costs.
    It's much less expensive to create plastic from molds then forming metal
    go3go and Etios like this.
    04-24-2013 11:46 AM
    Doesn't mean that's due to the plastic case. Could be other factors that increase it's manufacturing costs.
    It's much less expensive to create plastic from molds then forming metal
    The display is most likely the most expensive part.
    04-24-2013 11:52 AM
    So now that you've called me out I will no longer ignore your trolling. Since nowhere in the rules of being a Moderator does it say that I can't voice my opinion and participate in discussions.

Why is it that when somebody makes a statement that someone else doesn't like it's "Trolling" ? We throw this around WAY too much now when we have a lack/or lack of ability to carry on discussions or COUNTERS to comments that are made.
    04-24-2013 11:58 AM
    FYI, if this thread needs any type of moderator action it won't be done by me, since to remain impartial to the conversation and emotions that go along with it I might exercise poor judgment. I'm here for the discussion and conversation. Not to debate how to be a Moderator (also, see that badge under my avatar? I helped write the rules and guidelines for our Mod team. I know them well. Didn't get where I am by NOT following them.)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Don't worry. I'll ban everyone in this thread if allowed. Including you and Dylan.
    04-24-2013 12:08 PM
    Although I do have some pretty strong opinions on this back and forth (in general I agree with Kevin). But Im gonna be quiet.

Can we please, maybe, possibly... Get back to the topic? It's pretty interesting. Jerry, what's your input?
    04-24-2013 12:14 PM
    where did u order
    thx brother
    04-24-2013 12:19 PM
    Although I do have some pretty strong opinions on this back and forth (in general I agree with Kevin). But Im gonna be quiet.

Can we please, maybe, possibly... Get back to the topic? It's pretty interesting. Jerry, what's your input?
    My best guess is that Samsung is getting a newer (read: current) Snapdragon 600 made with a new manufacturing process. Chip makers are always looking for ways to save a few pennies per sheet, and when they can do so they will retool. Slight improvements in the design were of course included.

I'll ask Brian in a day or two after he's had time to rest
    taylorz_412 likes this.
    04-24-2013 12:20 PM
    Is the one that the GS4 REALLY has slower than the supposed Snapdragon 600? Or is it about the same speed?
    Also, why is it that on benchmarks, it scored higher than its rivals when its not even using the Snapdragon 600?
    04-24-2013 12:20 PM
    Ok so everyone got off topic here...

Anyways, I have not read the original article, just the quoted part posted. That would be very interesting to find out they are just using a tweaked pro and not the 600. I read AC review and they did mention it was just overall slower feeling than the HTC one. Could be a valid reason for this....I'm sure someone will break it down here soon and find out what is really going on.
    The perceived sluggishness could be that perception, it could be a UI issue, could be the processor as suggested. It does give me reason to ask am I getting what it is stated as having as a processor or if its a reworked older processor well that really doesn't make sense to me. Why would Samsung want to use a reworked older processor, and how would Qualicomm claim its the S600 when it wouldn't be. Marketing or not, it could blow up in their faces.
    04-24-2013 12:30 PM
    By definition, a moderator should mediate, which requires neutrality. You are not neutral. Free country, respect your opinions, but you aren't neutral.

Also, you once reminded me I was a troll for referring to someone else as a troll. Thus, by your own standards, by accusing me of trolling you are a troll.

Just saying..
    I have no pony in this race, but are you in grade school still? You seem bent on acting immature. That was not intended to be an insult, but an actual question.
    04-24-2013 12:30 PM
    My best guess is that Samsung is getting a newer (read: current) Snapdragon 600 made with a new manufacturing process. Chip makers are always looking for ways to save a few pennies per sheet, and when they can do so they will retool. Slight improvements in the design were of course included.

I'll ask Brian in a day or two after he's had time to rest
    Jerry, that does suggest Samsung's size does count in getting something different or in this case better or a one off edition just for them. Still a possible modification of the S4 Pro is what concerns me so hopefully this gets resolved by either Samsung or Qualcomm clarifying it rather than us having to guess and wonder.

Regarding plastic being an inferior material, its not. Its more durable, more easily mfg for devices and allows for more design options. I consider what's inside to be the real decision maker on what is a quality device and both the GS4 & HTC One are on par with that.
    majorpayne likes this.
    04-24-2013 12:36 PM
    I only need to mediate when there are things that require mediation. The role of a moderator is to engage the community and interact. Drive conversation. That does mean that I'm allowed to have an opinion, and that I can state my opinion. You didn't like my opinion, so you decided to attack me in a different, somewhat underhanded, way.
    Heheh. I'm a mod on another phone forum and it amazes me how members expect you not to voice an opinion or viewpoint - just moderate. And when you do decide to moderate, they get all butthurt about it. This mainly applies to the "trollish" members.
    ffejjj likes this.
    04-24-2013 12:40 PM
    Heheh. I'm a mod on another phone forum and it amazes me how members expect you not to voice an opinion or viewpoint - just moderate. And when you do decide to moderate, they get all butthurt about it. This mainly applies to the "trollish" members.
    I also find it amazing how cocky and full of themselves mods can get, hiding behind their powers when someone questions them cause they get all butthurt about it and how much they act like just cause they say something it's true.
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-24-2013 12:48 PM
    The fog of product launches obscures so much. But Qualcomm confirmed today in a blog post that the new Samsung Galaxy S4 will launch with a 1.9-GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor, not the slightly older S4 Pro that Samsung mentioned yesterday.

Qualcomm Confirms Snapdragon 600 in Galaxy S4 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    04-24-2013 12:52 PM
    I have no pony in this race, but are you in grade school still? You seem bent on acting immature. That was not intended to be an insult, but an actual question.
    If you don't like my posts, feel free to skip them and then report me to the mods like apparently others have done since they can't compete in the arena of ideas.
    04-24-2013 12:56 PM
168 1234 ...