01-19-2014 01:03 AM
168 12345 ...
tools
    If you don't like my posts, feel free to skip them and then report me to the mods like apparently others have done since they can't compete in the arena of ideas.
    Bold assertion.

(Get it?)
    04-24-2013 01:01 PM
    Heheh. I'm a mod on another phone forum and it amazes me how members expect you not to voice an opinion or viewpoint - just moderate. And when you do decide to moderate, they get all butthurt about it. This mainly applies to the "trollish" members.
    I also find it amazing how cocky and full of themselves mods can get, hiding behind their powers when someone questions them cause they get all butthurt about it and how much they act like just cause they say something it's true.
    It does go both ways, and sometimes finding the balance is tough. That's why we have a policy that if you're participating in a thread for the sake of discussion then you're not to Moderate in it at all. It's probably the rule I take most seriously, because the last thing you want is a "drunk with power" mod trying to control a conversation with their position instead of their own ideas/facts/thoughts.

I do thoroughly enjoy engaging in thought provoking and informed discussion. Anybody that's seen me around can confirm that, and honestly, I very rarely speak from an uninformed position.
    madlaw1071 and smooth4lyfe like this.
    04-24-2013 01:37 PM
    What I'd like to know, and this is slightly offtopic, is why a Snapdragon 600 quad core at 1.7ghz is 2-3 times faster than a Tegra 3 quad core at 1.7ghz

Spec for spec, the only difference I can see is the 600 has 2MB L2 cache, whereas the T3 has 1MB of L2 cache.. does 1 extra MB make that much of a difference?
    04-24-2013 05:05 PM
    That's a good question, but it may not just be the cache, it likely is also how is structured. Curious is those who know more about SoC can speak up on this.
    04-24-2013 05:39 PM
    What I'd like to know, and this is slightly offtopic, is why a Snapdragon 600 quad core at 1.7ghz is 2-3 times faster than a Tegra 3 quad core at 1.7ghz

Spec for spec, the only difference I can see is the 600 has 2MB L2 cache, whereas the T3 has 1MB of L2 cache.. does 1 extra MB make that much of a difference?
    Completely different architectures. More efficient and smaller manufacturing processes.
    04-24-2013 06:44 PM
    This thread seems to be half about the OP and half about semantics on the definition of "moderator" and "troll".

I know we can be more productive than this.
    04-24-2013 06:59 PM
    I don't understand the confusion in this thread? Doesn't Anandtech's guess sound reasonable? A slightly newer version of the part that got called "Snapdragon 600" but not enough newer that marketing bothered coming up with a new name?

Anandtech:
    "Digging through the Galaxy S 4 kernel source we see references to an APQ8064AB part. As a recap, APQ8064 was the first quad-core Krait 200 SoC with no integrated modem, more commonly referred to as Snapdragon S4 Pro. APQ8064T was supposed to be its higher clocked/Krait 300 based successor that ended up with the marketing name Snapdragon 600. APQ8064AB however is, at this point, unique to the Galaxy S 4 but still carries the Snapdragon 600 marketing name.

If we had to guess, we might be looking at an actual respin of the APQ8064 silicon in APQ8064AB. Assuming Qualcomm isn't playing any funny games here, APQ8064AB may simply be a respin capable of hitting higher frequencies. We'll have to keep a close eye on this going forward, but it's clear to me that the Galaxy S 4 is shipping with something different than everyone else who has a Snapdragon 600 at this point."

AB is bigger (newer?) than T.
    04-24-2013 07:05 PM
    Heheh. I'm a mod on another phone forum and it amazes me how members expect you not to voice an opinion or viewpoint - just moderate. And when you do decide to moderate, they get all butthurt about it. This mainly applies to the "trollish" members.
    Same here... And it is a very entertaining, albeit frustrating double standard.

It will be interesting to see what it actually ships with when people start breaking them down.
    04-24-2013 07:06 PM
    The S4 beat the One in damn near every category so what's the big conspiracy? Also, if it wasn't an S600 then it wouldn't be able to do 802.11ac wifi...
    04-24-2013 07:24 PM
    come on guys, lets stay on course with this discussion, no need for it to be personal.

echoing above, processor architecture is more important than frequency, cache size, etc.
    dmmarck likes this.
    04-24-2013 07:30 PM
    The S4 beat the One in damn near every category so what's the big conspiracy? Also, if it wasn't an S600 then it wouldn't be able to do 802.11ac wifi...
    I'm pretty sure the Snapdragon 600 (oddly) does not come with any wireless support, including WiFi. Broadcom is reporting that WiFi and Bluetooth support is provided by the BCM4335. (HTC also chose to pair the Snapdragon 600 with the Broadcom chip.

(I still can't figure out what cellular modem it uses...)

I'm not sure about the APQ8064T vs. the APQ8064AB, but it seems kind of weak to base all this discussion on a reference in the kernel source (which includes a lot of code not for this phone). I'm not saying they are wrong, Anandtech seem to know their technology, but I think we'll have to get confirmation from somebody who actually has the phone.

Then there's the question of differences in architecture between the two. Obviously it's testing faster, but is there a trade-off we're missing? Probably not, but it seems odd that HTC and Samsung would make so many similar decisions and then pick two slightly different processors.
    04-24-2013 08:36 PM
    Oops
    04-24-2013 08:42 PM
    According to what review? Anandtech's final comments in each respective review clearly shows its favor towards the One..
    04-24-2013 09:41 PM
    According to what review? Anandtech's final comments in each respective review clearly shows its favor towards the One..
    Did you even look at the benchmarks? That what I was referencing. And in the Final Words section they stated that it comes down to "what you value more".
    04-24-2013 10:08 PM
    Did you even look at the benchmarks? That what I was referencing. And in the Final Words section they stated that it comes down to "what you value more".
    Are you really going to reference benchmarks to make your point? They prove little more than drop tests do.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    04-24-2013 10:16 PM
    After saying they prefer the One?
    04-24-2013 10:23 PM
    Are you really going to reference benchmarks to make your point? They prove little more than drop tests do.

You can't be serious. Anandtech base all their reviews off of benchmarks...CPUs, GPUs, SSDs and now phones. It's why they are who they are. Now you want to throw all that out the window because they don't favor the HTC One?
    04-24-2013 10:25 PM
    You can't be serious. Anandtech base all their reviews off of benchmarks...CPUs, GPUs, SSDs and now phones. It's why they are who they are. Now you want to throw all that out the window because they don't favor the HTC One?
    Actually, scratch the above comment I made. You can't say that they left it open ("whatever you choose") and then say they favored one over the other.
    04-24-2013 10:29 PM
    After saying they prefer the One?
    Where did they say that at? I didn't see that in the review.
    04-24-2013 10:31 PM
    Actually, scratch the above comment I made. You can't say that they left it open ("whatever you choose") and then say they favored one over the other.
    I didn't say they favored one or the other. I said the benchmarks favor the One. The reviewer left it open to "whatever you choose".
    04-24-2013 10:35 PM

I believe he's saying what difference does it make if it's a 600 or not, whatever it is it outperforms the 600 in the One.

I'd like to see this for myself but haven't had any time to open and view the kernel source, but I could've sworn it was just the 600 clocked at a higher speed than the One. If anything it's a modified Snapdragon 600. The S4 Pro chip has a max clock speed of 1.7 GHz, and it's already been confirmed that the Galaxy S4's chip is 1.9 GHz which happens to be the max for the 600. But I'm not too sure if I believe it's modified either, its performance is right there with the One's 600. If it were clocked at 1.7 like the One instead of 1.9 they'd be virtually the same, what's there to modify? It's pretty interesting.
    04-24-2013 10:36 PM
    Where did they say that at? I didn't see that in the review.
    And I don't see where they choose the S4 either.

It's when you compare the Galaxy S 4 to its chief technical competitor, the HTC One, that the discussion becomes more complicated. HTC and Samsung take very different approaches to nearly every aspect of their flagship smartphones. Whether it's display (LCD vs. Super AMOLED), camera (low light vs. well lit performance), or software (subtle Sense 5 or feature filled TouchWiz), you couldn't pick two more different players in the Android space. [HL]So which is better?[/HL]

[HL]It really depends on what you value more[/HL]. The One's camera delivers better low light performance, while the Galaxy S 4's camera delivers better performance in well lit (e.g. outdoor) scenarios. The One's software customizations are definitely more subtle and out of your way, while Samsung's approach is much more feature overload and in your face. It's difficult to say for sure given our Sprint review unit, but HTC likely gets the slight edge in battery life based on our results here today (although these two devices can be close competitors depending on the workload). Samsung does integrate the faster SoC, despite both the Galaxy S 4 and HTC One shipping the same Snapdragon 600 platform. Samsung and HTC remain on opposite sides of the removable battery/microSD fence, if those two things matter to you then Samsung is the obvious choice. Finally there's a question of how much you value/desire an all-metal smartphone. For some, Samsung's choice in materials is going to continue to be a very big issue.
    So like I said--scratch it being in favor of the One. Clearly, they haven't chosen based upon those comments above. So you can't say otherwise (and neither can I).

- - - Updated - - -

I believe he's saying what difference does it make if it's a 600 or not, whatever it is it outperforms the 600 in the One.

I'd like to see this for myself but haven't had any time to open and view the kernel source, but I could've sworn it was just the 600 clocked at a higher speed than the One. If anything it's a modified Snapdragon 600. The S4 Pro chip has a max clock speed of 1.7 GHz, and it's already been confirmed that the Galaxy S4's chip is 1.9 GHz which happens to be the max for the 600. But I'm not too sure if I believe it's modified either, its performance is right there with the One's 600. If it were clocked at 1.7 like the One instead of 1.9 they'd be virtually the same, so what's there to modify? It's pretty interesting.
    Also keep in mind that TW requires more horsepower than other skins.
    04-24-2013 10:36 PM
    Throw it out the window? I never said benchmarks proved anything. I would say the same if they favored the One.

04-24-2013 10:41 PM
    The fog of product launches obscures so much. But Qualcomm confirmed today in a blog post that the new Samsung Galaxy S4 will launch with a 1.9-GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor, not the slightly older S4 Pro that Samsung mentioned yesterday.

Qualcomm Confirms Snapdragon 600 in Galaxy S4 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Your article is about 6 weeks older than the article in this post; I'm fairly sure your outdated source doesn't clear anything up.
    04-24-2013 10:44 PM
    Also keep in mind that TW requires more horsepower than other skins.
    The S4 comes in the 25000's while the One comes in the 23000's, it could be clocked at 1.7 and still yield similar synthetic results to the One. I said synthetic, not real world.
    04-24-2013 10:45 PM
168 12345 ...