01-19-2014 01:03 AM
168 ... 4567
tools
    For you to call me out like that takes guts. I own the One. It's not a secret. I love the One, but I don't hate the S4. It'll sell like hotcakes I'm sure.

If samsung is using some type of one-off chip that qualcomm made specifically for them and yet are still calling it an S600 then that's shady. That being said, it WOULD account for the performance issues some reviews have noticed.

So now that you've called me out I will no longer ignore your trolling. Since nowhere in the rules of being a Moderator does it say that I can't voice my opinion and participate in discussions.
    I'm noticing major performance issues that I don't notice at all with the HTC One. I have both phones and the One us Much faster. Lots of lag present in the S4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    04-25-2013 04:29 PM
    You have the most winningest name of everyone today.
    Not everyone....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    04-25-2013 04:32 PM
    Also, it seems that the S4 pro only has N networking, not the AC standard. So, even if this is a modified S4 Pro, it has some of the innards of a 600 series.
    This doesn't matter at all. As I've previously stated, the WiFi (on both the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4) is provided by a separate Broadcom chip.

(Although Qualcomm does advertise support for Wifi and Bluetooth, they mention that a separate chip is required for the physical/analog layer. It must have been a minor difference in price to simply use the BCM4335 which does everything in a single package.)
    04-25-2013 04:37 PM
    Buttons don't have to be on-screen. I can deal with capacitive buttons. Google has also said that capacitive buttons are fine. But the menu button (and HTC's two button arrangement on the ONE) are the wrong direction to go.
    Says you. I disagree. I'd much rather have a menu button than a multi-tasking button. That's one of the reasons I have a GS3 and not a nexus or a One X.

You claiming in absolute terms that it is "the wrong direction to go" is one thing when your just some random J6P. When you are saying it as a member of the website, it is unbecoming. For a place that loves to tout how they're "the Greatest Android Community in the World" and claims things such as: "But, really, it comes down to you. You're the reason we're here, working late into the night" having such an off-putting and exclusionary attitude towards features or products that you just personally don't like is counter to these claims.

In any case, nobody thinks you guys shouldn't have your personal opinions about these gadgets. Heck listening to guys geek out about specific things you might like to see helps to better gauge other aspects of a review or an opinion put forth in the forums. But listening to you guys take sides on topics and using phrases insinuating that one way is right while another way is wrong is exclusionary to those of us that disagree with you, and quite frankly, makes us not want to participate as much as we might otherwise do.

Personally, I prefer the plastic of the Galaxy models to the ID on the One and One X. However, all I hear about the topic from this website is that plastic is cheap and aluminum is cool. Time after time. Similar thing about stupid on screen buttons that doing it is right and not doing it is hurting Google. ...makes me less interested to read articles about new devices and has certainly resulted in less forum activity for me.

Anyway, take that however you want. At the end of the day it's your guys' website.

-Suntan
    TheOtherBill likes this.
    04-25-2013 04:41 PM
    its actually nice to see a moderator being honest. I have the galaxy3, I do have to say that it is the worst phone ive ever owned. it makes me sick owning one. if, and when it works there is barely enough reception to do anything of enjoyment.
    so it is refreshing to see someone actually voice their opinions.
    04-25-2013 04:45 PM
    its actually nice to see a moderator being honest. I have the galaxy3, I do have to say that it is the worst phone ive ever owned. it makes me sick owning one. if, and when it works there is barely enough reception to do anything of enjoyment.
    Your post literally reads that you are happy about a mod being honest *because* you hate your galaxy3. Would you still be happy if Kevin was "honestly" saying that he loved the GS3/4 and hated other handsets?

-Suntan
    04-25-2013 04:48 PM
    So by "being honest" you mean agrees with your opinion. Got it.

I really dislike the types of 'discussions' that the One and S4 have brought out of the community. They remind me of a couple years ago when people would argue the same points for and/or against Apple and Android in general. I have always loved reading android forums because of the insightful posts and discussions people would have. Lately though things seem to have really gone down hill. I have always been more of a lurker and just enjoy reading as you can tell by my post count. I just hope that this isn't the future of Android.
    04-25-2013 04:53 PM

I really dislike the types of 'discussions' that the One and S4 have brought out of the community. They remind me of a couple years ago when people would argue the same points for and/or against Apple and Android in general. I have always loved reading android forums because of the insightful posts and discussions people would have. Lately though things seem to have really gone down hill. I have always been more of a lurker and just enjoy reading as you can tell by my post count. I just hope that this isn't the future of Android.
    Check out WPCENTRAL.com, their posts are WAY more bleak. It's like their are purposely destroying the platform from within, starting with it's own users. Almost every thread turns into a bashing thread and gets locked.
    04-25-2013 04:54 PM
    when I have my countless issues with my gakaxy3, this thread is about exactly what I hear from customer service. like some kind of programed response. now im just stuck basicly with an over hyped piece of junk, because they at customer service cant give u anything but what they r told to say. nice to see someone who isnt afriad to give an opinion
    04-25-2013 04:54 PM
    This thread is an exhausting read. Where does all this hostility come from on a forum for mobile phones?

I'm curious why the different product numbers for the S4 as well. I wouldn't jump to shady, but it does beg the question what're the differences?

If it matters, I have the Nexus 4, I don't like Galaxy phones, and I'm quite fond of the One...

I mean, the One is for users looking for the best all around Android experience, while the S4, on the other hand, is for... Exactly the same people.

Cheers to competition, it breeds excellence (and Internet wars).
    Aquila and return_0 like this.
    04-25-2013 05:07 PM
    I have had 4 galaxy3s my g/f has one as well as her niece. these phones are junk. over hyped!! I have a few friends that have htcs they walk all over the galaxy3. it seems like ever galaxy owner has ***** envy, if they think another phone might actually be better.
    the ads all said this is the phone we all been waiting for. well I'm still waiting and the phone is the htc1
    04-25-2013 05:11 PM
    For reference, the GS4 I played with inky lagged AT ALL, ever, when I had either air services enabled (gestures) once I turned those off...I didn't notice any hitches outside the gallery weirdness...which I think has something to do with the way preview images are generated the first time rather than a general failure in the application.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    04-25-2013 05:21 PM
    For reference, the GS4 I played with inky lagged AT ALL, ever, when I had either air services enabled (gestures) once I turned those off...I didn't notice any hitches outside the gallery weirdness...which I think has something to do with the way preview images are generated the first time rather than a general failure in the application.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Then you got lucky. I own the GS4 and there is definite lag.

sniffs likes this.
    04-25-2013 05:29 PM
    Then you got lucky. I own the GS4 and there is definite lag.

I have both the One and the S4 and have the same live wallpaper running on both. The One doesn't stutter AT ALL. Flipping through the app drawer, opening/closing apps, switching screens, not a single stutter what so ever. Installing apps, no lag..

The SG4 however, sometimes as I flip through the app drawer it'll pause, and then catch up all quick-life. Sometimes flipping the homescreens it'll pause and catch up. As I install apps, the phone will pause after it's installed. I'm blown away that the S4 is doing this.
    04-25-2013 05:40 PM
    Says you. I disagree. I'd much rather have a menu button than a multi-tasking button. That's one of the reasons I have a GS3 and not a nexus or a One X.
    No, that's wrong. You may prefer a menu button to a multitasking button, but anything more or less than a back button, a home button, and a multitasking button is wrong. Period. Because that's what Google specifies in their Android design spec. Google makes Android. So whatever they specify to be used on Android phones is right. And anything else is wrong. This may sound like a sort of dictatorial decree, but based on logic and the given spec alone, it's true.
    04-25-2013 05:42 PM
    I have both the One and the S4 and have the same live wallpaper running on both. The One doesn't stutter AT ALL. Flipping through the app drawer, opening/closing apps, switching screens, not a single stutter what so ever. Installing apps, no lag..

The SG4 however, sometimes as I flip through the app drawer it'll pause, and then catch up all quick-life. Sometimes flipping the homescreens it'll pause and catch up. As I install apps, the phone will pause after it's installed. I'm blown away that the S4 is doing this.
    I feel exactly the same. I think I'm returning gs4 and keeping One. Plus the One's screen looks a hundred times better

04-25-2013 05:49 PM
    Everyone is going crazy and getting upset at Kevin because he's expressing his own opinion. Sure, he may be a little harsh or biased, but he (and all other users, mods included) is free to express his opinion because, as dmmarck said, mods are people too.

Secondly, the other argument going on here is about the difference between the S4's processor and the S600. Including speed and actual chipset contents. As a regular user, I'll say that I think this kind of discussion should be encouraged. After all, what are we here for? To discuss phones and tablets, of course. But I don't think it should get to the level where people are literally throwing insults at each other, questioning others' maturity, honesty, and responsibility, among other things.

Just my take on things going on here.
    04-25-2013 05:51 PM
    Well, the s3 has been the best phone I've ever owned...period. No peter envy here. I buy the best phone that suits me. I am not brand loyal as the only phones I've yet to own is lg and sony.

I don't understand is all of the f ing cheerleading that goes on in any of these threads. For instance, I despise at&t but I don't go into at&t threads and smash them every chance I get. Who gives a blue f... What you like or don't like. Why the hell are y'all even talking about the htc one? This is a thread about the processor. Why would I bring up the RAZR maxx HD? Or better yet length of my junk?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The Real X Dawg likes this.
    04-25-2013 06:29 PM
    No, that's wrong. You may prefer a menu button to a multitasking button, but anything more or less than a back button, a home button, and a multitasking button is wrong. Period. Because that's what Google specifies in their Android design spec.
    Do you have a link to their hardware guidelines / design spec? I can't seem to find one. The best I can find is a comment in their SDK and a blog post specifying that menu buttons are no longer required, not that they are deprecated. (Note that a large part of the reason the menu buttons aren't required is because they don't fit well with 10 inch tablets, not because they aren't useful.)

So far, Google has taken the approach of developing their applications to use the action bar when a menu button isn't present and to utilize the menu button (instead of the action bar) when present. It isn't as though they are completely against their use.

It's kind of like slamming manufacturers for including a dedicated camera button, isn't it? (Or even, though you don't see them anymore, a 5-way navigation tool.) Manufacturers meet the minimum support and then add on extra. I'm not going to tell HTC or Samsung they are wrong because they included more than the required minimum.
    neiljay6 and Suntan like this.
    04-25-2013 06:32 PM
    http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/menus.html

On Android 3.0 and higher, items from the options menu are presented by the action bar as a combination of on-screen action items and overflow options. Beginning with Android 3.0, the Menu button is deprecated (some devices don't have one), so you should migrate toward using the action bar to provide access to actions and other options.

A link to the article with the applicable section pasted.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    TheLibertarian and return_0 like this.
    04-25-2013 06:45 PM
    Why must this ridiculous argument have to happen at every release for these two manufacturers flagship phones. I remember the same thing last year and its as stupid now as is was then. Buy what ya want people and don't let the know it alls deter you from what suits you. And as for the the home button thing I don't hear Google complaining. I don't give a dam and the millions of happy galaxy phone owners don't either. sheeeh!!
    04-25-2013 06:58 PM
    I have had 4 galaxy3s my g/f has one as well as her niece. these phones are junk. over hyped!! I have a few friends that have htcs they walk all over the galaxy3. it seems like ever galaxy owner has ***** envy, if they think another phone might actually be better.
    the ads all said this is the phone we all been waiting for. well I'm still waiting and the phone is the htc1
    Fail troll will always fail.

Anyway, this thread that had some good info got railroaded. It's a shame.
    04-25-2013 07:03 PM

If he agreed with everyone else's opinion does the debate get this far?

Nope.
    04-25-2013 07:03 PM
    For you to call me out like that takes guts. I own the One. It's not a secret. I love the One, but I don't hate the S4. It'll sell like hotcakes I'm sure.

If samsung is using some type of one-off chip that qualcomm made specifically for them and yet are still calling it an S600 then that's shady. That being said, it WOULD account for the performance issues some reviews have noticed.
    So now that you've called me out I will no longer ignore your trolling. Since nowhere in the rules of being a Moderator does it say that I can't voice my opinion and participate in discussions.
    Just because they are using a "form" of S600 that is different from others doesn't make it shady....it just makes it a modified S600. Think of this: The "S" stands for "snapdragon" and 600 is the model number of it's Krait cores. As long as it is still using those same cores (in this case it is 4 of them) no matter the speed even if tweaked...it's still an S600 by QUALCOMM. Now if the proc was re-engineered in a different design than that of actual S600's but still uses the same Krait cores, then ya, a valid point could be made that it is a different proc and using S600 would be misleading.
    Intel for example, has core i3, i5, and i7 procs but they use the moniker Sandy Bridge, Haswell, and etc. Each iteration is a little different including clock speed but use the same internals keeping the name "core" i3, i5, i7.

My point is is that it doesn't matter the clock speed, if the internals are the same, then it still can be called an S600.

FWIW, I'm about to pi** off the wife (because of money) and use an upgrade for the "one". Don't get me wrong, I love my S3. and I like what I see in the S4 but I want to give HTC another try.
    04-25-2013 07:04 PM
    Do you have a link to their hardware guidelines / design spec? I can't seem to find one. The best I can find is a comment in their SDK and a blog post specifying that menu buttons are no longer required, not that they are deprecated. (Note that a large part of the reason the menu buttons aren't required is because they don't fit well with 10 inch tablets, not because they aren't useful.)
    Read Kevin's post above.

So far, Google has taken the approach of developing their applications to use the action bar when a menu button isn't present and to utilize the menu button (instead of the action bar) when present. It isn't as though they are completely against their use.
    You can't possibly expect them to not include any sort of workaround when an app doesn't meet the spec and to simply leave users to have to function without extra tools.

It's kind of like slamming manufacturers for including a dedicated camera button, isn't it? (Or even, though you don't see them anymore, a 5-way navigation tool.) Manufacturers meet the minimum support and then add on extra. I'm not going to tell HTC or Samsung they are wrong because they included more than the required minimum.
    Um, what? They didn't include more than the required minimum. Samsung (and LG) removed the multitasking button (part of the required minimum) and added a menu button. HTC is even worse in a sense, removing the multitasking button and doing nothing to try and replace it. Though this is good in that they (HTC) are encouraging developers to follow Google's action bar spec.

Of course, both manufacturers could have avoided this completely by simply using on-screen buttons. Motorola and Sony could do it. Why can't the other three?
    04-25-2013 07:09 PM
168 ... 4567