04-30-2013 09:53 AM
103 12345
tools
    I have to say that I agree to a large degree. I think the S4 is a good looking phone, certainly. Plastics can be premium, and everyone comments on how light it feels. Let's face it, you're not going to be unhappy buying one, are you?

But I do also think that, unlike the iPhone and HTC, it does just look like a piece of electronics, where the other two look more like a piece of, well, jewellery I suppose. The S4 is a geeks wet dream where the HTC is likely to be seen in the hands of Victoria Beckham (although poor David probably has to use Samsung's). It does look better, no question, but that doesn't mean the S4 looks bad.

The only other thing is that, for me, it's boring because I've already got the S3 and it is so similar. That's why I have an HTC coming...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    04-26-2013 02:39 PM
    It's not annoying as much as stupid. I'm using a One right now and I can tell you the button placement and functionality is horrendous. The home and back button work about 1/3 of the time and have a mind of their own when it comes to lighting up. The power button is too flush and in the absolute worst place for a right hander.
    This is the reason that I returned mine. The button placement actual function of the capacitive buttons was annoying at times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-26-2013 02:54 PM
    My choice to get the One over the S4 was based mostly on the difference between Sense 5 and Touchwiz and LCD vs AMOLED. They're two very important parts of a phone that couldn't be any different between the respective units.
    I'd love to hear your reasons for your choice, as I'm still trying to decide between the two phones. I've had the original EVO and now I have the EVO 4G LTE, so I'm very familiar with Sense (and I like it). But there's also the "newness" factor of the S4 for me. It won't be "yet another" HTC phone for me, whereas I'm sure it's the opposite feeling for many people who already have the S3.

Plus, I'm thinking about using an alternate launcher like Nova Prime anyway, so I'm not sure I'd use the Sense vs. TouchWiz reasoning for myself (although I can easily see why you would choose Sense).

But what about the screen? I thought it used to be said that AMOLED screens were better in the sunlight, but everything I'm reading now is making me think I'm completely wrong about that. Of course, both of my HTC phones were horrible in the sunlight, and they had LCD screens. I'm not too concerned about the sunlight issue, but are there other factors with the screen? Is it really that big of a difference between the two?

Thanks!
    04-26-2013 04:24 PM
    You're kidding yourself if you think people don't buy phones as a status symbol. Premium feel is just that. A PREMIUM feel. It honestly has nothing to do with durability. Some people just prefer the feel of aluminum over plastic, because it doesn't FEEL as cheap. Cost isn't a factor, build quality isn't a factor (though both with likely be built well), premium feel is an individual thing. I feel like aluminum is more premium, and higher quality than plastic, and I'm sure plenty of people with both agree and disagree with me.
    So essentially what you're saying is that aluminum FEELS more premium, even though it really isn't. As other posters have pointed out, it's probably not going to fair much (if any) better in a drop test than the S4. So it basically boils down to the fact that 'premium feel' is little more than marketing mumbo-jumbo, and you're the first person who has admitted that you were actually dumb enough to fall for it :P

Despite how it may seem, I don't hate the One, but I hate why people are buying it. If you buy it because you like the boom sound, prefer the camera's low light prowess, are impressed with the Blinkfeed bloatware, etc, then fine. But that's not why people are buying this phone. It's like the video that AC recently put up, where the first chick said she'd by the HTC One over the S4 for no other reason than it is silver. And this kind of thing drives me bonkers. Not that I care why people are choosing their phones, but when so many are basing their decisions on this kind of superficial bull****, manufacturers like HTC catch onto this, which is the reason why the aluminum body is the first item on their marketing bullet points. It causes them to focus lots of attention to things like what color the phone is, instead of things like functionality... you know, the stuff that actually matters. For this reason, the S5 will probably be aluminum, which will make the phone heavier for no good reason than to appease a bunch of dumbasses who think that plastic feels cheap, even though we have already established that this has absolutely no relation to durability.

And the HTC One is like a huge magnet for sheeple who care more about what the phone looks like than what's on the inside. If the HTC One was a person, we would call people shallow for choosing it soley based on this criteria, but since it is an inanimate object, then 'sex appeal' is a factor that people really should be considering :P And if the HTC One was plastic, I think even its biggest fanboys would admit that most folks wouldn't even give it a second look.
    Wilbur likes this.
    04-26-2013 05:15 PM
    So essentially what you're saying is that aluminum FEELS more premium, even though it really isn't. As other posters have pointed out, it's probably not going to fair much (if any) better in a drop test than the S4. So it basically boils down to the fact that 'premium feel' is little more than marketing mumbo-jumbo, and you're the first person who has admitted that you were actually dumb enough to fall for it :P

Despite how it may seem, I don't hate the One, but I hate why people are buying it. If you buy it because you like the boom sound, prefer the camera's low light prowess, are impressed with the Blinkfeed bloatware, etc, then fine. But that's not why people are buying this phone. It's like the video that AC recently put up, where the first chick said she'd by the HTC One over the S4 for no other reason than it is silver. And this kind of thing drives me bonkers. Not that I care why people are choosing their phones, but when so many are basing their decisions on this kind of superficial bull****, manufacturers like HTC catch onto this, which is the reason why the aluminum body is the first item on their marketing bullet points. It causes them to focus lots of attention to things like what color the phone is, instead of things like functionality... you know, the stuff that actually matters. For this reason, the S5 will probably be aluminum, which will make the phone heavier for no good reason than to appease a bunch of dumbasses who think that plastic feels cheap, even though we have already established that this has absolutely no relation to durability.

And the HTC One is like a huge magnet for sheeple who care more about what the phone looks like than what's on the inside. If the HTC One was a person, we would call people shallow for choosing it soley based on this criteria, but since it is an inanimate object, then 'sex appeal' is a factor that people really should be considering :P And if the HTC One was plastic, I think even its biggest fanboys would admit that most folks wouldn't even give it a second look.
    Generally agreed. I posted elsewhere that an argument could be made that the One is HTC's attempt to become Apple. A phone that is a status symbol first communications device second. By so watering down Sense and stripping away the out of the box ability to customize and tweak, Sense is almost iOS like in it's simplicity and yes fluidity. I'm not knocking it but it's why I left iOS and came to Android. I like tweaking settings and playing with widgets. Sense 5 is a step away from that. On top of that, they took a page from Apple and threw in some clever gimmicks like Blinkfeed, BoomSound and UltraPixel and make them seem revolutionary so people will latch on to the buzzword and hopefully sell alot of units. It seems like they are gearing the One towards a much younger crowd that would otherwise buy an iPhone rather than a dominating Android device.

That being said, the One is an amazing achievement and I will be sorry to see it go tomorrow when I get my S4 but at least it will stay in my family. My 17 year old is absolutely lusting after the sexiness of the One and cant wait to show her friends. Mission accomplished HTC.
    Wilbur likes this.
    04-26-2013 05:25 PM
    I had originally chosen the One over the S4, but I'll be making the switch to the S4 tomorrow. If you're on the fence, and this is purely opinion on my part, I'd go with the S4.

Although its not better in sunlight, the AMOLED screen has vibrant colors and in the S4 has adaptive modes that can be tailored to your preferences. Plus the screen is larger and because of the menu button, it doesnt have that black strip on the touchscreen that cuts away a portion of the screen on the One in most apps.

Android 4.2.2 has some great features (lock screen widgets, quick settings, etc) you won't find on the One.

Removable battery and expanded storage are also present on the S4 and while there seems to be a lot of people downplaying their importance, having the ability to get an extended battery or max your storage out at 128 GB is appealing. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung or another third party came out with a 2800-3000 mah battery that will fit with either a very small increase in thickness or none at all.

The camera on the S4, while not as good in low light, is more versatile than the camera on the One. At 13MP, shots in good lighting look incredible and if you ever plan on cropping photos or using them outside of social media, the S4 is the easy choice.

The features on the S4 are endless. Again, you'll hear a lot of people say they're gimmicky, but I'd much rather have the ability to use them and not than want to and can't.

Finally, I feel like the S4 is going to be more comfortable to hold. The edges of the One and the aluminum body look great, but aesthetics and functionality are two different things. This one is purely subjective, though; everyone will have their own preference.

Anyways, I hope that helps. There's not really a wrong choice, but I'd go with the S4 personally.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    Wilbur likes this.
    04-26-2013 05:26 PM

Well, this thread is about design. So yeah, I'm talking about design, not the rest of the stuff the One has going for it. I personally would never choose a phone purely based on design. It has to do what I need and want it to do first.

For not caring why people choose a phone you sure did go on and on about it.

Name calling is for children.
    04-26-2013 08:14 PM
    Generally agreed. I posted elsewhere that an argument could be made that the One is HTC's attempt to become Apple. A phone that is a status symbol first communications device second. By so watering down Sense and stripping away the out of the box ability to customize and tweak, Sense is almost iOS like in it's simplicity and yes fluidity. I'm not knocking it but it's why I left iOS and came to Android. I like tweaking settings and playing with widgets. Sense 5 is a step away from that. On top of that, they took a page from Apple and threw in some clever gimmicks like Blinkfeed, BoomSound and UltraPixel and make them seem revolutionary so people will latch on to the buzzword and hopefully sell alot of units. It seems like they are gearing the One towards a much younger crowd that would otherwise buy an iPhone rather than a dominating Android device.

That being said, the One is an amazing achievement and I will be sorry to see it go tomorrow when I get my S4 but at least it will stay in my family. My 17 year old is absolutely lusting after the sexiness of the One and cant wait to show her friends. Mission accomplished HTC.
    Curious as to how they stopped you from customizing it. Did they take away your ability to change launchers? Or change SMS apps, keyboards, dialers, galleries, etc?

Also, it wasn't HTC that got sued for copying Apple. AND Samsung lost. Now they are adopting a very similar business strategy, which is great for making money. And honestly, that's all these companies care about.
    04-26-2013 08:17 PM
    Curious as to how they stopped you from customizing it. Did they take away your ability to change launchers? Or change SMS apps, keyboards, dialers, galleries, etc?

Also, it wasn't HTC that got sued for copying Apple. AND Samsung lost. Now they are adopting a very similar business strategy, which is great for making money. And honestly, that's all these companies care about.
    Nothing stopped me. Like I said its the out of the box experience they changed. Most people will never deviate from a standard setup and therefore will have a device in many ways similar to the iPhone. Again I not saying that's a bad thing.
    04-26-2013 09:53 PM
    My last 4 phones were...

HTC EVO 4G
    HTC EVO 3D
    Samsung S2
    Samsung S3

With that said, the one thing I really liked about the S3 was the feel of it in my pocket. It was a bigger phone than all the others but with the rounded edges and soft corners, it felt way better in my pocket than say my EVO or S2. I think the HTC ONE will have that bigger phone feel because it has pointed corners on it. I'm glad that they didn't change the shape of the S4 over the S3.
    Going tomorrow to try to nab one....hopefully.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    04-26-2013 10:32 PM
    S4 felt better in my hand than the HTC one....ppl will be shocked was they have both in they hand

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Wilbur likes this.
    04-26-2013 10:49 PM
    Just got back from playing with them both at the ATT store.....

The HTC One edges are uncomfortable and sharp. The phone is noticeably heavier, but it otherwise ok.

The S4 although larger, was lighter, much more enjoyable to hold, and that SCREEEN!!! That screen is pure sexy!

I watch the Lion King trailer on them both in HD... The S4 took the cake in color and wow factor for the picture!

I also, having never used either, felt the touchwiz was more intuitive, and easier to navigate than the HTC brand of interface.
    04-26-2013 10:57 PM
    Well, you'll be getting a full review comparison from me on each phone next weekend. It'll give me a week with the S4 and a week and a half with the One. Hopefully it helps people decide easier than reading some of the crap reviews that glorify the One and dismiss the S4 over "premium" materials.

madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-27-2013 05:40 AM
    Well, you'll be getting a full review comparison from me on each phone next weekend. It'll give me a week with the S4 and a week and a half with the One. Hopefully it helps people decide easier than reading some of the crap reviews that glorify the One and dismiss the S4 over "premium" materials.

Well you just said the crap reviews that glorify the one so you actually have your mind made up before you have used the s4 a week...why not just write the review now?
    These "crap reviews are written by the majority of testers and sites that do this for a living..I also don't remember anyone writing a bad review of the s4..just saying if they had to choose a device it would be the one.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    04-27-2013 08:02 AM
    I can't compare accurately until I've used both, and although I've made up my mind on my own device, I want to share my thoughts on both so people can make up their own minds. When I said "crap reviews", its aimed at the reviews where they've dogged the S4 for the build quality, claimed there's performance issues, and mostly projected their "meh" attitude instead of being objective. There's people that read the Verge review, I'm sure, and decided against getting it all because David Pierce hates the build quality.

madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-27-2013 08:30 AM
    Hey I want to quote this:
    To clarify my point, design is so much more than just the materials used. It's angles, ergonomics, placement, etc. Yes, the Galaxy S4 is made of plastic. Toys are made of plastic. Therefore, this phone must be a toy. It's that kind of ridiculous reviewing that takes away from some impressive feats Samsung achieved on the S4 design. When the iPhone 5 was released, a huge part of their marketing was placed on the fact that they were able to upgrade the internals and make the screen bigger while making the phone thinner and lighter. Samsung has achieved the same thing here; it's screen is larger, the camera/battery/CPU/GPU are bigger and better, and the phone itself is thinner and lighter. The main difference here? The iPhone 5 is made of the oh-so vaunted aluminum and the Galaxy S4 is polycarbonate. Is aluminum a more premium material? Yes. Does that make the S4 design worse for using polycarbonate? No.
    04-27-2013 09:11 AM
    I can't compare accurately until I've used both, and although I've made up my mind on my own device, I want to share my thoughts on both so people can make up their own minds. When I said "crap reviews", its aimed at the reviews where they've dogged the S4 for the build quality, claimed there's performance issues, and mostly projected their "meh" attitude instead of being objective. There's people that read the Verge review, I'm sure, and decided against getting it all because David Pierce hates the build quality.

Maybe he's thinking gs3 fans will love the s4, but people on the fence should consider the One since it has a balance of performance & design.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums
    04-27-2013 09:15 AM

+1 it seems many of the so called professional reviewers fell for the One's good looks and lost their objectivity ignoring the One's many shortcomings. Most of them simply sounded love struck by the aluminum.
    04-27-2013 09:31 AM
    +1 it seems many of the so called professional reviewers fell for the One's good looks and lost their objectivity ignoring the One's many shortcomings. Most of them simply sounded love struck by the aluminum.
    But what's wrong with falling in love with a phone? If looks are that important to a review or to a consumer then they should be able to give their opinion. They are totally different devices. I understand why people like the s4 and accept it..It's a wonderful phone. When I use both and look at both the features and looks, feel of the one is more to my liking..I don't think it's the"best" just best for me..we can have mutually respect for the time and work that went into the design or software of a product without feeling one is"better"for everyone...

04-27-2013 09:41 AM
    But what's wrong with falling in love with a phone? If looks are that important to a review or to a consumer then they should be able to give their opinion. They are totally different devices. I understand why people like the s4 and accept it..It's a wonderful phone. When I use both and look at both the features and looks, feel of the one is more to my liking..I don't think it's the"best" just best for me..we can have mutually respect for the time and work that went into the design or software of a product without feeling one is"better"for everyone...

LOL @ falling in love with a phone

Seriously, as a consumer, we can fall in a love with a phone. However, professional reviews should be objective and if they are clouded by purely aesthetic qualities then it taints the review. I admit the One has an overwhelmingly good feel and look. But after spending a week with it, the annoyances out weighed the aesthetics and I just picked up an S4.
    04-27-2013 02:44 PM
    Samsung S4 is good design.

Theverge is trash.
    04-27-2013 02:47 PM
    I agree with you, obviously those who think plastic=toy should not be allowed to write reviews, because obviously they have not used the s4 and have no intentions to do so.

They completely ignore the fact that the plastic the s4s casing is made of is proven to be far more durable than the aluminum bodies of the one/iPhone.

I want a phone that won't scratch with the littlest if contact.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    04-27-2013 04:33 PM
    My problem is not that it is plastic. I think the Lumia 920 is one of the most beautiful phones on the market. My problem is the design is tired. The pattern they put on the plastic is terrible. And I cannot tell if I'm looking at the S III or the S4 without careful inspection. I expect this kind of design derivative laziness from Apple. Not Samsung. And I own the SII, Note II and Note 10.1. So not a Samsung hater by any means. They should have upped their game for 2013. My bet is that Note III fixes all of these complaints. I don't expect that to be a rehash.

I'll give them the same props I gave Apple: well at least it's lighter and thinner. That's some good engineering right there.
    04-27-2013 05:33 PM
    My problem is not that it is plastic. I think the Lumia 920 is one of the most beautiful phones on the market. My problem is the design is tired. The pattern they put on the plastic is terrible. And I cannot tell if I'm looking at the S III or the S4 without careful inspection.
    Well, to this, I have one response:

(screaming like Sam Kinison)
    IT'S A PHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These things don't need to be 'beautiful'. You're not going to have sex with it. Why do you give a flying f**k what the design on the plastic is like? Please tell me, because I really need to understand this seeming lack of logic and common sense that people appear to have when it comes to inanimate objects. It is the opinion of lots of folks that the HTC One is heavier, has sharper edges, and is less comfortable to hold than the S4, and is no more/less durable, yet some STILL say the HTC One has a superior design.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!
    04-27-2013 11:52 PM

They completely ignore the fact that the plastic the s4s casing is made of is proven to be far more durable than the aluminum bodies of the one/iPhone.
    Except that the S4 is pretty bag in drop tests. The plastic back breaks easily and the screen shatters due to the small bezel.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-2013 12:03 AM
103 12345