Galaxy S4 Design

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Again, it's a personal preference and I readily admit if I could get the features, screen and camera of the S4 in the body of the One, I'd have my ultimate phone. Perhaps many others would agree.

Not me :) Using an aluminum body would make the phone heavier, and I like how light the S3/S4 are. So I'll stick with the plastic, or whatever the hell it is. Besides, I really don't see what difference it makes. As far as I know, I haven't seen many people complaining that their S3's were falling apart. So as long as there aren't durability issues, I don't give a ding dong didly what the phone is made of.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Not me :) Using an aluminum body would make the phone heavier, and I like how light the S3/S4 are. So I'll stick with the plastic, or whatever the hell it is. Besides, I really don't see what difference it makes. As far as I know, I haven't seen many people complaining that their S3's were falling apart. So as long as there aren't durability issues, I don't give a ding dong didly what the phone is made of.

Right there with you on liking polycarbonate more for the weight, wireless charging, and how thin they were able to make it... If I wanted an aluminum unibody, I would be using an iphone...

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Right there with you on liking polycarbonate more for the weight, wireless charging, and how thin they were able to make it... If I wanted an aluminum unibody, I would be using an iphone...

I like the body of the One unfortunately it's the rest of the hardware and software that is a real let down for me.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

So you're telling me that without a scale you can tell a 12 gram difference in weight in your hand? That's the difference. 12 grams. Yes, it's lighter, but I think a big part of people thinking the S4 is "so much lighter" than the One is perception. Perception that plastic is lighter than aluminum.

12 grams = two US Nickels and a Dime.

I can't wait for the Note 3 to come out and (hopefully) have an aluminum shell. Then I'll sit back and watch all the Samsung people (not calling you fanboys) say how awesome it is.

If plastic were a more "premium" material than aluminum I'm sure Apple would use it on their laptops.

But again, I'm all for people buying and owning what they want and like. :) That's the beauty of choice.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
So you're telling me that without a scale you can tell a 12 gram difference in weight in your hand? That's the difference. 12 grams. Yes, it's lighter, but I think a big part of people thinking the S4 is "so much lighter" than the One is perception. Perception that plastic is lighter than aluminum.

I can't wait for the Note 3 to come out and (hopefully) have an aluminum shell. Then I'll sit back and watch all the Samsung people (not calling you fanboys) say how awesome it is.

If plastic were a more "premium" material than aluminum I'm sure Apple would use it on their laptops.

But again, I'm all for people buying and owning what they want and like. :) That's the beauty of choice.

When it's in my gym shorts working out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The only reason they gave the design a low score is because Samsung didn't really put much effort in changing the design.
My thing is that when the iPhone 5 came after the iPhone 4, people was saying "omg the design is so different", but when it comes to the GS3 and GS4, its blah blah
What I think Samsung was trying to do is stick to their "Galaxy" look, which all the Galaxy series look similar
The reviews say they are bored of the design....well get a case for the phone, its not like your forced to look at it....I don't think the design is all that bad at all, though I do wish it looked more like some of the concept ones
Yeah, funny how when Apple barely changes the design of their phone it's all "oh don't fix what isn't broken" and that kind of thing but it's suddenly a bad thing when Samsung does it. Luckily I can disregard the BS from these people as what it is and focus on what's important.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Put me down in the category of wanting an S5 in an aluminum body. While the plastic of the Galaxies doesn't bother me since I case the phone, if given a choice I'd take sexy aluminum every day.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Better build materials doesnt mean better design. The S4 while plastic, has superior ergonomics to the One. The buttons are all in the right places and they work. The same cannot be said for the One.

Your comments are so true. I currently own the One and as much as I am enjoying it, I really wish the button placement was similar to Samsung. I just don't know if I can keep the phone for this reason and others. I'm just piggybacking on your points.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Your comments are so true. I currently own the One and as much as I am enjoying it, I really wish the button placement was similar to Samsung. I just don't know if I can keep the phone for this reason and others. I'm just piggybacking on your points.

Talk to me....lots to like about the One but:

1. buttons, hard and soft stink
2. LED, small and cant be tweaked
3. Not enough bells and whistles and settings to keep me interested
4. Screen a little small.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
It really has gotten to the point where it's not really about which device is superior, but which device suits your needs individually. They couldn't be more different in almost every aspect, but each is going to bring strengths that appeal to some more than others. My whole purpose for posting this was to shed some light on the issue of reviewers heavily critcizing the build materials, but not paying enough attention to the actual design of the phone. While using more premium materials has its benefits, it also has its drawbacks.

The thing that has been bothering me about the One as far as the build is concerned the very thing I like the most about it; the chamfered edges. I hold the One in my right hand and tend to rest the bottom of the phone on the inside of my pinky finger. That gives me the range of motion I need to be able to use the back and home button with one hand, but it also digs into my skin. It's nothing to cry about, but it isn't as comfortable to use as my Nexus 4 in that regard. The S4 will be in AT&T stores just before my exchange period ends, so I'll be there Saturday to see it in person. In all honesty, I'm going to exchange my One for the Black Mist Galaxy S4. I'll always be able to get the One back if I choose, but this negativity towards the S4 has reminded me how much I loved my S3 last year when it first came out.

We all draw our lines in the sand on where we stand as far as this goes. Whether it's the One vs the S4, Android vs Apple, etc, we all use our phones differently and there's no wrong answer. The One is an incredible phone and I was positive it would be my choice for the year, but the lure of the S4 has me coming right back.

So glad you posted and I read this today. I agree with your sentiments 100%. I look forward to playing with the S4 tomorrow as well.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Talk to me....lots to like about the One but:

1. buttons, hard and soft stink
2. LED, small and cant be tweaked
3. Not enough bells and whistles and settings to keep me interested
4. Screen a little small.

It is amazing what we miss when we switch. LOL. I miss:
- blocking mode
- larger and brighter LED as you mentioned
- I actually miss the gallery (coming from the Note 2)

I do like the One and will not bash. It is enough for me to have purchased. Using for the past 5 days has let me know how much I enjoy the ergonomics and feature set of Samsung.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Yes, you can tell the weight difference.
Yes plastic is superior for protecting the device which is what the body is for, protecting the internals.

No.... I work in the IT industry, you have no idea how many laptops I see dropped, plastic bodies come out scuffed but fine usually.

Macs..... HUGE DENTS.....

Cant fix an aluminum dent without replacing the entire body, or in apple case computer.

I am pretty sure this sums it up perfectly. Read.

Just like most of you, I've spent my morning reading the reviews for the Galaxy S4 from numerous tech sites, including this one. Let me make it clear that right now, I own an HTC One; I made the choice to get the One over the S4, but admittedly I haven't had the chance to use an S4 (something I plan to remedy this weekend). My choice to get the One over the S4 was based mostly on the difference between Sense 5 and Touchwiz and LCD vs AMOLED. They're two very important parts of a phone that couldn't be any different between the respective units. Design, however, seems to be the big topic of conversation, and I'm disappointed in a lot of the reviewers who have simply glossed over the positives of the S4 design and centered their pieces around the purely opinion-based notion that the phone is "cheap".

To clarify my point, design is so much more than just the materials used. It's angles, ergonomics, placement, etc. Yes, the Galaxy S4 is made of plastic. Toys are made of plastic. Therefore, this phone must be a toy. It's that kind of ridiculous reviewing that takes away from some impressive feats Samsung achieved on the S4 design. When the iPhone 5 was released, a huge part of their marketing was placed on the fact that they were able to upgrade the internals and make the screen bigger while making the phone thinner and lighter. Samsung has achieved the same thing here; it's screen is larger, the camera/battery/CPU/GPU are bigger and better, and the phone itself is thinner and lighter. The main difference here? The iPhone 5 is made of the oh-so vaunted aluminum and the Galaxy S4 is polycarbonate. Is aluminum a more premium material? Yes. Does that make the S4 design worse for using polycarbonate? No.

Design incorporates actually using the phone and how comfortable of an experience that is holding the phone in your hand. I can say without a doubt, having used an S3 extensively, that the S3 is easily more comfortable to hold than my HTC One. A lot of it has to do with the chamfered edges and the height of the One. It looks amazing, but could be an annoyance for people who like to use their phone with one hand. The Galaxy S3 is easily usable in one hand with a 4.8 inch display. Samsung has made the S4 just as easy to use, but made the screen larger. Had it used an aluminum body instead, this may not be the case.

Design incorporates added functionality. Being able to remove the back cover is added functionality as it gives the user access to the battery/sim card tray/SD card slot. It also allows for users to replace their back cover with accessories or even just another back cover if the old one got scratched/had carrier branding on it that wasn't liked. It also opens the door for wireless charging, a door shut on phones using aluminum like the One.

When I see credible sites like The Verge give the S4 a design score of 5, I really can't make sense of it. We all have our personal preferences, but as a reviewer, it's important to not put personal preference as gospel. It's not for everyone, but no design is. As an HTC One user, I can appreciate the design of the S4. Hope that helps to clear up some ideas about the design for people possibly losing interest in the phone over reviews.

First off, to each his own. Everyone should get the phone they like. I'm not saying my view is the "right" opinion. The S4 will be my first non iPhone, as I've had them since the original. I hear a lot of people saying they prefer the One because of the "premium feel/build" due to the aluminum casing.

1. If you plan on putting the phone in a case, then why does it matter what it's made of? It could be made of greenish copper if it's just going to be covered. (I don't like phones in cases, so this is moot for me personally)

2. I actually feel like I had to be much more careful with my iPhone 5 and original iPhone (neither in a case) because they were aluminum. I actually have to think before I place do something as simple as place my iPhone 5 on a surface, making sure it won't get scratched. With the S4, I'm glad I won't have to treat the phone this way. And if the worst happens and the back gets damaged, I can replace it easily.

I played with the One in store the other day and just wasn't at all seeing what others do in that phone. Looks clunky and weird to me. Just my thoughts.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
So you're telling me that without a scale you can tell a 12 gram difference in weight in your hand? That's the difference. 12 grams.

I haven't actually held an S4 so can't say for certain, but between the S3 and HTC One, there's definitely a perceptible difference. They say the S4 is even thinner and lighter, so I expect it to be more of the same.

I don't even know what the hell that means - "premium" material. Sounds like a buzz word for shallow people who buy phones to use as status symbols. I'm not seeing any real-world evidence that the HTC One will be significantly more durable than the S4. And even if it was, I've managed to use a Nexus 4 with its glass body without a case, and without cracking it, so I don't anticipate having any issues in that regard.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
BTW: Just about every comparison I've seen mentions that the S4 is noticeably lighter than the One, and some seem to think that the One is also less comfortable to hold. To me, that's more important than plastic vs aluminum, especially since I haven't seen anyone demonstrate that the S4's plastic body is going to cause any significant durability issues. It may feel less 'premium', but is it really? And if so, why does that matter?

Statusnone

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
24 hours with the phone now and I absolutely love the design tweaks. The phone is unbelievably comfortable to hold, screen is beyond immaculate, and I can honestly say I love 4.2.2 solely for lock screen widgets. Coming from an original S3 owner, then a Note 2 owner, I have 0 ounce of buyers remorse OR regret.

FYI - Maybe not as good as LCD or IPS in direct sunlight, but whatever Samsung did this screen kicks *** in sun compared to my Note 2.

tl;dr Love this phone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Great post by the OP. I too have been reading many reviews and some have been rather dismissive of what the S4 achieves, what it can and will do just because its made of plastic or polycarbonate. For me I could care less what the material, IF, it exceeds my expectations, has awesome internals, and externals (display) and packs features I would actually use and based on the reviews I have seen that are video based I got a lot from them and know there are a ton of things I would not have known or used had I not watched say Android Authority's video review.

HTC made a bold statement by opting to put out 1 high end phone this year, they pushed the envelope in the Android world and challenged Apple with an all aluminum design. But they could have gone one step further on a global market basis as they are doing in China. Make the back removable and allow the battery to be swapped and a microSD card. Those two features alone would have brought me closer to saying "yes" but I am still a very luke warm meh. For me removable battery, microSD and a minimum of 32GB of internal storage are key. I need, no I want the storage so I can put all of my 18GB of music and 15GB of podcasts on my microSD card, have room for photo's and videos and leave the internal for apps and other useful information.

Still a well balanced approach and I for one tip my hat to the OP for his thoughts.

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So much emphasis placed on the material and none in the inside of the phone and what you can do with it. I had the HTC Sensation which mas made out of plastic, terrible speaker and volume. The reception in different places terrible. When HTC One S came out with aluminum I jumped on it right away. Well the volume was better but the reception in the same places terrible again. I switched to the S3, plastic again but you know what ? the reception in the same places is awesome. I guess what I am trying to say here is that not matter what the phone is made of there are other things that are more important and for me the most important one is reception. What that hell do I need a pretty good looking phone inside my pocket when I can't even use it to communicate inside my local supermarket.

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I just left the AT&T store and I will be exchanging my One for the S4. As much as I love the One, the S4 just feels better in MY hand. Screens are comparable from a quality perspective but the One is significantly brighter. The button placement on the S4 is perfect for how I use a phone. You really can't go wrong with either one. Good luck, folks.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I haven't actually held an S4 so can't say for certain, but between the S3 and HTC One, there's definitely a perceptible difference. They say the S4 is even thinner and lighter, so I expect it to be more of the same.

I don't even know what the hell that means - "premium" material. Sounds like a buzz word for shallow people who buy phones to use as status symbols. I'm not seeing any real-world evidence that the HTC One will be significantly more durable than the S4. And even if it was, I've managed to use a Nexus 4 with its glass body without a case, and without cracking it, so I don't anticipate having any issues in that regard.

You're kidding yourself if you think people don't buy phones as a status symbol. Premium feel is just that. A PREMIUM feel. It honestly has nothing to do with durability. Some people just prefer the feel of aluminum over plastic, because it doesn't FEEL as cheap. Cost isn't a factor, build quality isn't a factor (though both with likely be built well), premium feel is an individual thing. I feel like aluminum is more premium, and higher quality than plastic, and I'm sure plenty of people with both agree and disagree with me.

Also, I don't plan on dropping my phone. If I do it would be an accident. Right now I don't have a case, because the case I want isn't out yet. I don't want to hide the phone because I love how it looks. I know I will be making a trade off between looks and protection. I'm ok with that, because I've only ever dropped a phone once and it actually get damaged. Guess which phone that was? The Infuse. Landed on the corner and dinged up the plastic pretty good. Idk if a metal phone would've held up any better, but I do know that I'm not a fan of planning around "what-ifs". I'm not going to sit here and say "aluminum is more durable" or "if I damage the back of the S4 it's easily replaced" because honestly I'm careful and don't work in an environment where damaging my phone is likely.

For those of you buying the S4 because it's plastic and the battery cover can be replaced, more power to you. But what about the corners of the phone (where they usually land when dropped) or the screen? Those aren't easily replaced at all.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree that some people buy phones as a symbol of status, but it isn't really about the look/feel of the phone. I've had the One for a week now and every friend/family member/coworker is familiar with how often I have new phones. In the week that I've had this, I've had zero people recognize that this is an HTC One. Some thought it looked nice, others simply didn't care. It's not as if the One is a piece of jewelry to go with my Movado watch or that HTC is some designer brand, regardless of how nice the phone looks. The status symbol most people look for when buying a phone is popularity (hence why the iPhone is all over the place). When I get my S4 tomorrow, guaranteed there will be more people asking "Is that the new S4?" because Samsung has marketed their brand almost to perfection.

So no, the plastic vs aluminum debate has nothing to do with a phone being a status symbol. Brand recognition and popularity do, though, and that's not something you'll get at this point with an HTC One. Not that it should matter, anyways, because it's a phone and buying a phone to feel "cool" is silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy