Galaxy S4 or HTC One ... my first smartphone purchase

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The real deciding factor is storage. If you must have lots of internal storage then get the HTC One 64GB. The GS4 is ONLY 16GB for now with a "32GB Coming Soon" note on the ordering page. If you cannot wait, and storage for apps is critical then its the HTC One, the GS4 has only 9.9GB of usable space on the 16GB version.

I personally am waiting, but not for ever AT&T. I am really pissed at Samsung since they are not offering a 32GB version directly from them and zero info on a developer edition either.

jayrod88

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The real deciding factor is storage. If you must have lots of internal storage then get the HTC One 64GB. The GS4 is ONLY 16GB for now with a "32GB Coming Soon" note on the ordering page. If you cannot wait, and storage for apps is critical then its the HTC One, the GS4 has only 9.9GB of usable space on the 16GB version.

I personally am waiting, but not for ever AT&T. I am really pissed at Samsung since they are not offering a 32GB version directly from them and zero info on a developer edition either.

Take advantage of the gs4's micro sd slot.

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I have played with both in the local AT&T store - because I cannot play with them at the Verizon store - yet. I think both are excellent top end smartphones for 2013. I also believe you will enjoy either one coming from a non-smartphone.

From first look I was leaning towards the HTC One (probably getting the 64GB as the cost difference between that and a 16G Samsung + SD card was fairly close). Having done more and more research on the devices I am now leaning more towards the Samsung as the asthetics are the big winner for the HTC, while the functionality of the S4 seems to be better to me. I am hoping Verizon comes out of the shoot with the 32GB and 64GB S4's. The removable battery is a big win, when I had the original Droid and the Droid X I carried a spare battery and it worked out well.

I really am enamored with the split window multi-tasking of the S4 and belive it is something I would use very often in business and personal use.
The higher resolution camera I believe will be a better everyday camera than the HTC One. I don't do a lot of low light photography.

tarball

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I too am new to smarphones.

I've read some comments about micro stuttering and complaints about TW.

My question, that could seems very stupid, but will ask anyway. Do you think Android / TW updates could fix those issues ?

I guess it is pretty commun for new product launch ?

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have played with both in the local AT&T store - because I cannot play with them at the Verizon store - yet. I think both are excellent top end smartphones for 2013. I also believe you will enjoy either one coming from a non-smartphone.

From first look I was leaning towards the HTC One (probably getting the 64GB as the cost difference between that and a 16G Samsung + SD card was fairly close). Having done more and more research on the devices I am now leaning more towards the Samsung as the asthetics are the big winner for the HTC, while the functionality of the S4 seems to be better to me. I am hoping Verizon comes out of the shoot with the 32GB and 64GB S4's. The removable battery is a big win, when I had the original Droid and the Droid X I carried a spare battery and it worked out well.

I really am enamored with the split window multi-tasking of the S4 and belive it is something I would use very often in business and personal use.
The higher resolution camera I believe will be a better everyday camera than the HTC One. I don't do a lot of low light photography.

Have zero doubt that Big Red will offer the 32 GB version. Maybe even the 64 GB one, too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Then you should be prepared to be DISAPPOINTED. Confirmed: Verizon Galaxy S4 32GB Isn't Coming Verizon is NOT offeering the 32B or 64GB GS4. NOT AN OPTION.

I wouldn't read too much into this. I'd like to know (who they don't reveal, other than Verizon - no name, no title) who it was that confirmed it. I'm holding out until I actually read it straight from Verizon. Or at least multiple (and reliable) sites.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I have been getting a lot of info reading these threads.. Keep it up..:)

Already have decided going with the S4. Was going for the 16gb, but after reading a lot of post like yours, going to go for the 32gb S4. Now, on the availability of the 32gb version. First, I am going with Tmobile, and I am going to get one without a contract, and I think it will be unlocked for $639 that is for the 16gb version.. Now, since I have decided to wait for the 32gb S4 and was searching for it, I came across this. And from what I am reading they have the 32gb version in stock on Monday. It is the factory unlocked version of the S4.. and they also claimed or have marked in stock, the 64gb version too.

The 32gb is going for a cool $825, and the 64gb version $925 How bad do we want this phone? :)

SAMSUNG I9500 GALAXY S4 32GB QUADBAND UNLOCKED GSM PHONE (BLACK M

For me, I was going to pay $630 for a 16gb.. I might as well bite the bullet and chunk out the extra $200 and get the 32gb version..

Will see...

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Finally decided on the SG4 and picked one up today. It is great (I was already familiar with my partner's S3). However I can't get one feature working that did work on the S3:
- in the default Music player, I can search for music files shared (via DLNA) on my Win7 computers. Works exactly like on the S3. You can play files streamed from a Win7 computer on the S4 .. BUT, for some reason, the S4 menu at bottom left does NOT have the Download option (as it does on the S3) which is really annoying. Can someone verify this? Also it looks like the AllShare Play functionality on the S3 is moved to the Samsung Link app.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm a big HTC ONE fan. However, I would say that overall I have found the tech press has been harsher when judging the S4 compared to the ONE - which just isn't fair.

Thing is Samsung brought this on themselves. The S4 is a great phone, no doubt about that. Where it falls down though is in 2 areas.

One, same design, granted the S4 is a wonder of engineering. That said it's suffering from the 3GS affect. People for better or worse want something new. Samsung gave us most of the same.

Second software creep. Samsung is trying desperately to stand above android. If they aren't outright renaming voice search as Svoice. They are putting more bells and whistles into the os. To the detriment of the device. The reason for the overclock of the cpu is cause of this. And it's still stuttering. Maybe not enough to dissuade buyers from it, but it's still a glaring indictment.

Now you have the people who write about these things. They look at the S4 and wonder what to say about it. Just same old same old. Or tear into it because of that. The latter makes more money for them. Meanwhile HTC being pressed to shine comes out with the One. Is it the best thing since sliced bread heck no. It is though a well though out device with top level hardware and finish. Oh and they got the memo from the customers and cut the bloat. Now sense5 may not be your cup of tea, fine to each their own. But for many the One is a much more refined device.

Myself I'm torn. I got to play with the One at the S4 times square event. Lots to like I have to say. Then I got to try the S4, that was a wow in it of itself.

After having my Gnex for well over a year I'm not a fan of Samsung's radios. Barely get a signal here where before I had solid 3 to 4 bars. Early reports are saying not much has changed. The One seems like a champ. But the no ext sd ticks me off.

Oh well I know the S4 will sell boatloads. Enjoy guys.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MikeDubC

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd say if you are familiar with the S3 and loved it, then you should get the S4, since you would already be familiar with it when you get it, instead of another learning curve with another device. The GS4 has all the same features as the GS3 with many more in store

Here is what a reviewer from CNET stated:

Buy Samsung's Galaxy S4 if you:
-Want the latest and greatest in Android
-Love customizing your interface or want something really pared down with Easy Mode
-Strongly value camera performance
-Thrill at fun extra camera features
-Require a removable battery
-Use a tremendous amount of storage space
-Want to control your TV with your phone
-Can live without a metal body

Skip the Galaxy S4 if you:
-Prize a premium, sophisticated hardware design
-Yearn for a fresh looking Android interface
-Prefer to skip most whistles and bells
-Seek a bargain smartphone

Here is the full review: Samsung Galaxy S4 - CNET Reviews

A few of these are not true. Neither s4 nor HTC one have latest android. Both have tv remote capabilities. Also the camera speed and overall OS performance is much better on the HTC one.

I am not saying you shouldn't buy an s4. Just keep in mind the HTC does run much smoother despite the lower clock speed. You also forgot the mention htc has a superior display and speakers.

The s4 is a great phone too. Just get the facts straight first.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
As the op, i really think I could have gone either way and have been happy with perhaps a bit of second-guessing my decision which is natural. After one day with the SG4 as my FIRST smartphone, I have to say I love this thing! I love the ability to configure it exactly as you want. I love how well it works with DLNA to stream audio from my Win7 PC to the GS4 or to my hi-fi audio system using the GS4 to control the playback. The ability to screen-scrape (with a palm swipe) is very very cool and useful for me. I find that the air-gesture (to scroll pages) is a bit finicky ...maybe more practice or technique).

mdlissner

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
As the op, i really think I could have gone either way and have been happy with perhaps a bit of second-guessing my decision which is natural. After one day with the SG4 as my FIRST smartphone, I have to say I love this thing! I love the ability to configure it exactly as you want. I love how well it works with DLNA to stream audio from my Win7 PC to the GS4 or to my hi-fi audio system using the GS4 to control the playback. The ability to screen-scrape (with a palm swipe) is very very cool and useful for me. I find that the air-gesture (to scroll pages) is a bit finicky ...maybe more practice or technique).

Glad you are happy with your S4

Russ Smith

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Not for app storage though, not saying haviing a micro sd slot isn't a good thing if you have that much media, but a phone manufactured only including 9gb of app space? That's inexcusable, apps especially intensely graphical games are more and more common now and will fill that very quickly.

Sent from my HTC One

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Not for app storage though, not saying haviing a micro sd slot isn't a good thing if you have that much media, but a phone manufactured only including 9gb of app space? That's inexcusable, apps especially intensely graphical games are more and more common now and will fill that very quickly.

Sent from my HTC One

My situation is that I'm not a gamer so most of my apps tend to be small. Apart from several apps (I install and remove quickly if not a great app), my storage requirements are mainly images and music (few videos) so that is about 1000 or so 4Mb MP3 or 2000 2.Mb (front camera) pictures for the front-facing camera to chew up about half the internal storage, sufficient for my needs. I'm pretty vigilent about cleaning up stuff I don't use. At home, I can just stream other huge music/video libraries from other devices/computers using Samsung Link. Since I have a carrier data-plan with a low limit, I won't stream data-heavy stuff like audio/video from any cloud-storage unless I can hook into an available Wi-Fi. I'll write an article shortly on my experiences on setting up and using Samsung Link.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
My situation is that I'm not a gamer so most of my apps tend to be small. Apart from several apps (I install and remove quickly if not a great app), my storage requirements are mainly images and music (few videos) so that is about 1000 or so 4Mb MP3 or 2000 2.Mb (front camera) pictures for the front-facing camera to chew up about half the internal storage, sufficient for my needs. I'm pretty vigilent about cleaning up stuff I don't use. At home, I can just stream other huge music/video libraries from other devices/computers using Samsung Link. Since I have a carrier data-plan with a low limit, I won't stream data-heavy stuff like audio/video from any cloud-storage unless I can hook into an available Wi-Fi. I'll write an article shortly on my experiences on setting up and using Samsung Link.

And even a 16GB SD card for your videos/pictures/movies would allow you to keep all that internal storage just for apps.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

As you know, an SD card can't be used to run apps. That affects lots of people who are gamers and find 9 gigs of storage simply not enough.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jensigner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
And even a 16GB SD card for your videos/pictures/movies would allow you to keep all that internal storage just for apps.

I'm thinking a 32 Gb SD card for more backup storage . Is there any issue with battery usage and an extra SD card?

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking a 32 Gb SD card for more backup storage . Is there any issue with battery usage and an extra SD card?

None at all. That should give you more than enough space. They also include 50GB free cloud storage on DropBox, too.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I don't honestly understand why people complain that the s4 isn't that much of a redesign. Big deal. So what the phone is not aluminum. Who cares. If Apple didn't make a aluminum phone then HTC would not have and no one would be complaining then. Did plastic somehow become worse over the past 12 months and I was not aware.

Really. If it is that big of an issue then by all means go and get what phone you think is better. Everyone like or prefers something different. No one should judge. But to complain over the materials used is ridiculous. It is not like Samsung promised an aluminum phone and the changed its mind.

As for app storage space again if you prefer something with more storage there are plenty of other options. Just move on. Continuing to post about lack of storage is not going to make Samsung, Verizon or anyone else give in.

Everyone needs to calm down. I love phones as much as everyone else. I spend a lot of my time reading blogs, this forum and watching reviews and videos also but I don't act as if my child has been assaulted because of the lack of a option I wanted. I simply will move to the phone that more suits me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance