Hey All,
    Got my preorder email, and tried to do just that. Problem is I'm only 10 months into my current contract for my S3. Preorder process says I'm not eligible. I understand that. Tried to chat with someone online, and was told chat is no available for this item.
    In anyone's experience / knowledge, will Verizon prorate for a new 2 year contract? If so, how much? Sprint would do $10 a month.
    Thanks!
    04-25-2013 09:39 AM
    I would try calling them (*611), but my experience is that they're really strict on the contracts. They used to update my 2yr eligibility 30 days early, but I couldn't even get that (my eligibility date is May 11).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    04-25-2013 09:42 AM
    Hey All,
    Got my preorder email, and tried to do just that. Problem is I'm only 10 months into my current contract for my S3. Preorder process says I'm not eligible. I understand that. Tried to chat with someone online, and was told chat is no available for this item.
    In anyone's experience / knowledge, will Verizon prorate for a new 2 year contract? If so, how much? Sprint would do $10 a month.
    Thanks!
    If you're only 10 months into your contact, I seriously doubt Verizon will do anything for you. You can always buy the device at full price, then you won't have to extend your contract. Then you'll be right on time for an upgrade when the S5 drops.
    04-25-2013 10:03 AM
    You know they changed the upgrade from 20 months to 24 months So if your only 10 months into your contract you still have 14 months till your eligible for a upgrade

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    04-25-2013 10:05 AM
    You know they changed the upgrade from 20 months to 24 months So if your only 10 months into your contract you still have 14 months till your eligible for a upgrade

When did they change? My upgrade is set at 20 months. But I have 5 lines so not sure if that would play a part.
    04-25-2013 10:10 AM
    Hey All,
    Thanks!
    Just sell your S3 to offset the cost. Depending on the condition you should be able to get 350-400 for it and then pay the rest out of pocket.
    04-25-2013 10:11 AM

I'm pretty sure that was for any new contracts starting after i think some point in January 2013, so since his contract started before that he should still have the 20 month upgrade eligibility.

ScaryHumor i'm still going to agree though that with even 10 months to go before you're upgrade they're not going to move up your date, so i'd say either buy at full price or just hold off till the S5.
    04-25-2013 10:12 AM
    Well, I called. My only 2 options (although I found a 3rd) were to purchase a phone at full price, $707, or add a new line of service, which I don't need. I asked, very politely, about terminating my contract, and the ETF was $260. I again, politely said it made much more monetary sense to terminate the contract and go with another carrier. $707 vs $460 ($260 + $200 for a new contract with someone else)? "Please let me put you on hold for a moment, we value you as a Verizon customer". Came back a minute later, and said again the first 2 options are all that's available to him.
    Looks like it's time to check out other carriers.
    04-25-2013 10:13 AM
    ScaryHumor... or just hold off till the S5.
    Not gonna happen. I'm a slave to the latest and greatest.
    04-25-2013 10:17 AM
    yeah, VZW's policies have changed like crazy. i remember back in '09, i upgraded from my treo 755 that i got in '08 to the BB Tour, and i just renewed my contract @ 2 years, and they gave me the 2 year price, i wasnt eligible for the NE2, but that was fine. Now, they basically got rid of the NE2, and you can't do any upgrades until your eligibility hits...if it wasnt for the coverage, i would have changed providers already....

and releasing the phone a whole month after ATT, Sprint, Tmobile and others release is just crazy. i could see if it was a week, or maybe 2 weeks, but a whole month??? smh....
    04-25-2013 10:22 AM
    I would try calling them (*611), but my experience is that they're really strict on the contracts. They used to update my 2yr eligibility 30 days early, but I couldn't even get that (my eligibility date is May 11).
    same here. they have done the 30 days for me in the past as well but my upgrade date is 5/24. i'm not even going to ask. i'll just wait it out. what's another month now ya know?
    04-25-2013 10:28 AM
    same here. they have done the 30 days for me in the past as well but my upgrade date is 5/24. i'm not even going to ask. i'll just wait it out. what's another month now ya know?
    my droid3 is on its last legs...i need to upgrade this mofo a-fawkin-sap!!! i really dont want to have to wait until after memorial day...
    04-25-2013 10:39 AM
    my droid3 is on its last legs...i need to upgrade this mofo a-fawkin-sap!!! i really dont want to have to wait until after memorial day...
    Thunderbolt here... screen all cracked to hell but still working. Getting fed up with it.
    04-25-2013 11:40 AM
    Well, I called. My only 2 options (although I found a 3rd) were to purchase a phone at full price, $707, or add a new line of service, which I don't need. I asked, very politely, about terminating my contract, and the ETF was $260. I again, politely said it made much more monetary sense to terminate the contract and go with another carrier. $707 vs $460 ($260 + $200 for a new contract with someone else)? "Please let me put you on hold for a moment, we value you as a Verizon customer". Came back a minute later, and said again the first 2 options are all that's available to him.
    If you terminate can you immediately sign back up with a new contract?
    04-25-2013 11:54 AM
    If you terminate can you immediately sign back up with a new contract?
    No.....that's the catch all. You usually have to wait 30 days or so.
    04-25-2013 12:01 PM
    So add a line to get the subsidized price, then cancel the line you are using now. Same price as moving to another carrier. Pay the 260 ETF and then the 199 new device cost.

Yeah, you'll loose the number, but you'd loose it going to another carrier unless you ported. But then your locked into a contract with them.
    04-25-2013 12:03 PM
    I guess one nice thing about Verizon being slow is that we can watch the forums to see if there are any issues. I have often said that I will never buy a phone on launch day again, but i do it every time. Going to stay on big red due to coverage but thats the only reason. I wish they would let buy the phone and get a reduced rate plan. This would apply a little pressure for them to be honest on their phone pricing too.
    Mooem likes this.
    04-25-2013 12:36 PM
    i need to upgrade this mofo a-fawkin-sap
    haha that was great! love the way you put that. i hear ya though! i don't WANT to wait but i'm going to try.
    04-25-2013 02:23 PM
    Thunderbolt here... screen all cracked to hell but still working. Getting fed up with it.
    man listen, my droid3 texts when it wants to, makes calls when it feels like its ready to, will power off because it wants to, will let me unlock when it deems i'm worthy to....

so yeah, i'm ready to chuck this phone @ a concrete wall right now, like i'm throwing a 95mph heater to Derek Jeter...
    04-25-2013 03:50 PM
    When did they change? My upgrade is set at 20 months. But I have 5 lines so not sure if that would play a part.
    They basically made it so you have to wait till the end of your contract till you can upgrade The full 24 months instead of 20 If your upgrade is 9/1/13 or later you fall into the new rules

04-26-2013 01:38 PM