Galaxy S4: Won't connect to WiFi

fantom305

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Won't connect to WiFi

I just got my Samsung Galaxy S4, and kept getting the "Network disabled because internet connection is slow" or "Failed to obtain IP address" errors. I tried manually entering settings, using WPS with a pin, using WPS with a push button, nothing seemed to work - and all of our other laptops, tablets, and old phones were working just fine on the same wireless network.

I have a D-Link router. I had to log into the router (from a computer on the network), under the advanced wireless settings I had to disable "Short GI". This may not be the same issue for everyone, but now my phone has been working flawlessly on the WiFi.

This might be a different setting on different brand routers, but look for something similar - here's what D-Link says it is: "Using a short (400ns) guard interval can increase throughput. However, it can also increase error rate in some installations, due to increased sensitivity to radio-frequency reflections. Select the option that works best for your installation."
Something I have noticed with this kind of a problem is that every one that has a problem, owns a D-Link router ........... perhaps that is the reason ......... I myself own a LINKSYS .......... much easier to use.

Juniper94

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I do have a Linksys router, and have the problem with the Wifi at home. My Samsung Galaxy S4 connects to my wireless network with full strength, but the Internet on the phone does not work.

Etgen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

I am also having a wifi issue. It will connect if I leave the network open but not when I have any encryption turned on. I've gotten it to connect using a static IP but then it is not able to use the internet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

fishepa

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

I am also having a wifi issue. It will connect if I leave the network open but not when I have any encryption turned on. I've gotten it to connect using a static IP but then it is not able to use the internet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

What type of encryption are you using? I would recommend WPA2.

Spho

May 20, 2013
Visit site

just go into command prompt on your pc and take note of dns server, ip address and default gateway
once this is done enter the wi-fi manually
and input the matching IP addresses and click connect

IT MUST WORK

Etgen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

just go into command prompt on your pc and take note of dns server, ip address and default gateway
once this is done enter the wi-fi manually
and input the matching IP addresses and click connect

IT MUST WORK

It will connect when I give it a static IP but is not able to access the internet.

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site

I've been on the phone with AT&T and Asurion today, and Samsung has confirmed that this is a known issue and that they are working on a solution that will be pushed to our devices in an update soon.

Can't wait to see how long this takes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

babelec

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I've been on the phone with AT&T and Asurion today, and Samsung has confirmed that this is a known issue and that they are working on a solution that will be pushed to our devices in an update soon.

Can't wait to see how long this takes.
This was an issue with the S3, and they told us the same thing last year. It would've been nice if they pushed that solution when they released the S4.

Jake Bowman

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I had the same issue, my S4 wouldn't connect to my secure WiFi. But I have a laptop that was able to connect, no problem. I checked the properties for the connection on my laptop and it's Security Type is set to WPA2-Personal. I checked my router settings and it's Security Type setting was set to WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode. I disabled security on my WiFi and verified that my S4 could connect. Works. I then re-enabled WiFi Security on my router but changed the Security Type Setting to WPA Personal. I restarted my S4, found my WiFi network and entered the password. Worked like a charm. I hope this helps you.

This is using a Cisco Wireless Router.

noname808

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I just got my Samsung Galaxy S4, and kept getting the "Network disabled because internet connection is slow" or "Failed to obtain IP address" errors. "
Same problem here

It will connect when I give it a static IP but is not able to access the internet.

Same problem here

Router: Motorola SBG900

Changing WPA encryption on router from AES to TKIP enabled wi-fi access from phone

Christine Chisholm

May 26, 2013
Visit site

Thank you SOOOOO much YoungChrisG!! I searched for this issue, and your solution worked for me. The instructions were great. I appreciate it so much!

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Have the Cisco Linksys router and had searching...authentication failure issue. Changed router settings from WEP to WPA2 Personal and all is working now.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Have the Cisco Linksys router and had searching...authentication failure issue. Changed router settings from WEP to WPA2 Personal and all is working now.

Now that I have setup my router and access point with the same passphrase and name all works but when I walk from the front router to the back acces point I get a prompt to connect. Is there any way to get the S4 to auto connect to known networks? Most of the time the phone will be in my pocket so I want it to use my wifi instead of Verizon data. Same will be true when I arrive at my office, I just want it to connect when I arrive. I feel like I just have a check box wrong.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edit: Apparently if you do not have the wifi setup open it will connect without a prompt, so I guess all is well.

Last edited:

RobertGarciaJr

May 29, 2013
Visit site

Originally Posted by noname808
Same problem here
Router: Motorola SBG900
Changing WPA encryption on router from AES to TKIP enabled wi-fi access from phone

This worked for my friend. She is using my Linksys WRT54G router with a WPA Pre-Shared Key and the rest of the settings at default. Note that her S4 COULD connect to the router (with full internet access) for the first few days of owning it. She went out of state for a few days only to get back and not be able to log on. It said something about IP address not located or found? She could log on to a neighbor's open network but with lower signal strength (nothing changed here). So I looked on this forum but avoided all the solutions that required more time than I had. I went with noname808's quick solution and lo and behold, it worked! She had to "reset" the connection on her phone, but she was able to log in and get full bars from the router and internet access. Thanks noname808!

ravedge

May 31, 2013
Visit site

you obviously did not read the post. I am having the same issue with my glaxay s4. After entering the password, it says authenticating and then i get the message, "authentication error occurred" "wrong password". I know the password is right, as I tried with other devices.

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

This worked for my friend. She is using my Linksys WRT54G router with a WPA Pre-Shared Key and the rest of the settings at default. Note that her S4 COULD connect to the router (with full internet access) for the first few days of owning it. She went out of state for a few days only to get back and not be able to log on. It said something about IP address not located or found? She could log on to a neighbor's open network but with lower signal strength (nothing changed here). So I looked on this forum but avoided all the solutions that required more time than I had. I went with noname808's quick solution and lo and behold, it worked! She had to "reset" the connection on her phone, but she was able to log in and get full bars from the router and internet access. Thanks noname808!

I use an older Linksys WRT54GS and use WPA with AES...no problems. I also use MAC Filtering and my GS4 MAC address is entered. The maximum number of DHCP users is set to accommodate the added phone.

Inse van houts

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

hello guys, i have the same problem with my router, very annoying.
i just wanted to say that this is not normal, a 600$ device should just work out of the box, samsung has to find a sollution. a will never mess with my router settings because samsung cant even make a device working.

O M A R A

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Ok, so a weird thing just happend to me. My router was set on no protection or password required to connect to the router. So I changed it and enabled WPA pre-shared key and set a password. After that, my S4 started giving me the same "Failed to obtain IP address" again. So, I went back to my router and changed it back to no password required/open network, and now my S4 is connecting fine. If you're still having that problem, try that and get back to me if you don't mind. I am very curious now about this issue. If that indeed does solve your problem, I will try to notify Samsung about the issue and see if they can either help me to figure out how to use my wifi and keep my network locked, or if they can fix the issue in a future system update.

So please give this a try so I can continue to look into the issue.

Hi, Yes, this is the same issue here, now i don't wish to leave my wifi open with no password as there are so many useres nearby who are connecting to my network. Wish if there is a proper solution for it.
My Router is Sitecom N150 and my phone is Galaxy S4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7