05-03-2013 10:25 AM
73 123
tools
    I went into AT&T earlier and got to look at both devices next to each other. I have to say the s4 is a lot more comfortable to hold. Just felt better in my hands, even though it has a bigger screen. Go figure lol.
    Yeah I have to agree in the comfort. They perfected it with the s2, and the s3 was a disappointment in that regards. I'm glad the S4 feels smooth now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    04-27-2013 07:47 PM
    #6. The metal band around the phone is actually plastic made to look like metal....it's probably a good thing since metal would interfere with the radio
    He stated is was not aluminum, and that that was good thing. =)
    04-27-2013 07:52 PM
    He stated is was not aluminum, and that that was good thing. =)
    The post that was quoted was referencing the phone as a whole, not just the band. :-)
    04-27-2013 07:57 PM
    I also wanted to add on that the WiFi signal is a lot stronger when compared to the SGS3. I couldn't get WiFi in my driveway with the SGS3. I can get WiFi with the sgs4 easily almost in the street, which is about 50 feet further than sgs3 could

Just a side note here on WiFi coverage. IF your router uses the little 3-inch long antennas replace it/them with the 7-inch 10dBi 2.4 GHz antennas. They greatly increase your range for less than $10. If you request it your cable provider might do it for you!
    04-27-2013 08:05 PM
    My brother got one and he is already taking it back! Said the lag was awful, and touchwiz was a bloated mess!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    04-27-2013 08:11 PM
    The post that was quoted was referencing the phone as a whole, not just the band. :-)
    metal band and swtichgear are a HUGE upgrade. Is it aluminum? No
    Take it which ever way.
    04-27-2013 08:12 PM
    My brother got one and he is already taking it back! Said the lag was awful, and touchwiz was a bloated mess!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    My cousin's friends sister got an HTC One and just returned it for a Blackberry Z10 because Android is stupid!
    chuckh0308 likes this.
    04-27-2013 08:14 PM
    My cousin's friends sister got an HTC One and just returned it for a Blackberry Z10 because Android is stupid!
    Borh of those comments didn't make a lick of sense lol.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2
    04-27-2013 08:36 PM
    Take it which ever way.
    When you parse it like that, sure. But taken as a whole not really. Oh well, not looking to split hairs.
    04-27-2013 08:42 PM
    It's not customizable on the One?
    Nope. Not at all. Red or green and it was tiny.
    04-27-2013 08:58 PM
    I call that child abuse. Should have given her the S4.
    Lol I offered but she went for the aluminum body, beats audio and boom sound. The one is a teenagers dream.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    04-27-2013 09:02 PM
    Lol I offered but she went for the aluminum body, beats audio and boom sound. The one is a teenagers dream.
    I could see that. Need to be able to jam out on the go!
    04-27-2013 09:03 PM
    UPDATE: after several hours some additional impressions

1. Still no sign of lag
    2. Still get the OMG feeling from screen every time
    3. Sound output thru my Bluetooth stereo headphones is phenomenal. Perhaps not as loud as the One but superior quality IMO. Like really good folks.
    4. Camera and interface is significantly better than One.
    5. I live in So. Fla. and today was bright sunny day. Had zero problems seeing screen even with shades on. This confirms several reviews that said Samsung really stepped up on this display.
    6. Did I mention no lag yet?
    7. Oh yeah the flipboard app with air preview absolutely crushes blink feed on One.
    Dural and zeteo like this.
    04-27-2013 09:10 PM
    Nope. Not at all. Red or green and it was tiny.
    Woooow thats so dumb....I LOVE the ability to change the colors on my LED for different apps....surprised they don't allow that
    04-27-2013 09:19 PM
    It's 2013 and this is a flagship phone. The fact that we are talking about lag means the software is an epic fail. It never should have been a question......Is the bar really that low?
    chesalaam, Etios and Topgonzo like this.
    04-27-2013 09:38 PM
    It's 2013 and this is a flagship phone. The fact that we are talking about lag means the software is an epic fail. It never should have been a question......Is the bar really that low?
    If the people claiming lag were smart enough to know its not lag, there wouldn't be a discussion.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    chesalaam likes this.
    04-27-2013 09:39 PM
    Hearing about issues with lag had me a little bit worried.
    Easy fix. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post2738116
    04-27-2013 09:54 PM
    If the people claiming lag were smart enough to know its not lag, there wouldn't be a discussion.

Are you still pushing that touch wiz animation argument? FYI there are people who have been reporting actual stuttering/lag. Just because your device hasn't (according to you) doesn't automatically mean the others "weren't smart"
    Etios, Topgonzo and chesalaam like this.
    04-27-2013 10:30 PM

Here's the problem with that argument. The average consumer isn't going to care to find a solution. They're just going to either 1) deal with it and move on 2) return it and get something different 3) exchange it numerous times until they get one that doesn't exhibit the same problem.

Ignorance to what lag is/isn't is not the problem.
    04-27-2013 10:56 PM
    Are you still pushing that touch wiz animation argument? FYI there are people who have been reporting actual stuttering/lag. Just because your device hasn't (according to you) doesn't automatically mean the others "weren't smart"
    I'll continue to push it, too. I decided to ask Brian Klug from Anandtech awhile back about this and that was his response. If there was something performance related on the S4 that was causing it, that guy would know about it. Instead, we had a good laugh at those that think its actual lag. Also, he had someone tell him they felt Touchwiz made their phone faster, which is equally as amusing.

04-27-2013 11:08 PM
    I'll continue to push it, too. I decided to ask Brian Klug from Anandtech awhile back about this and that was his response. If there was something performance related on the S4 that was causing it, that guy would know about it. Instead, we had a good laugh at those that think its actual lag. Also, he had someone tell him they felt Touchwiz made their phone faster, which is equally as amusing.

The link below appears to be the cause and the solution to these reports. My question is the same as what another person posed in that thread: if that's what's causing these reported performance issues, then how is your average non techie user supposed to know this fix? Why is the "fix" not the default behavior if it's causing performance issues?

Most importantly of all, whether or not YOU believe this an issue is completely irrelevant. The fact that people ARE complaining about it at all means it's an issue for them and should have their complaints addressed by the seller. To say otherwise makes you worse than a complainent because it makes you an apologist.

chesalaam likes this.
    04-27-2013 11:32 PM
    The link below appears to be the cause and the solution to these reports. My question is the same as what another person posed in that thread: if that's what's causing these reported performance issues, then how is your average non techie user supposed to know this fix? Why is the "fix" not the default behavior if it's causing performance issues?

Most importantly of all, whether or not YOU believe this an issue is completely irrelevant. The fact that people ARE complaining about it at all means it's an issue for them and should have their complaints addressed by the seller. To say otherwise makes you worse than a complainent because it makes you an apologist.
    I have my transitions set to 1x and I'm not noticing any lag on my S4. I'm not saying others aren't having issues with animations catching occasionally, but its not a performance issue where the UI is sluggish. Even the One with Sense 5 stripped down has animation catches from time to time. I'm just not going to overreact to people on here claiming its lag because it isn't. Does it need to be addressed by Samsung? Sure. Just in the same way the capacitive buttons and their lack of responsiveness on the One need to be addressed by HTC.

TomsAndroid likes this.
    04-27-2013 11:57 PM
    UPDATE: after several hours some additional impressions

1. Still no sign of lag
    2. Still get the OMG feeling from screen every time
    3. Sound output thru my Bluetooth stereo headphones is phenomenal. Perhaps not as loud as the One but superior quality IMO. Like really good folks.
    4. Camera and interface is significantly better than One.
    5. I live in So. Fla. and today was bright sunny day. Had zero problems seeing screen even with shades on. This confirms several reviews that said Samsung really stepped up on this display.
    7. Oh yeah the flipboard app with air preview absolutely crushes blink feed on One.
    Thank you for the update, glad to see your experience thus far is going well... Just makes me itch that much more for a 32GB version... Why is it not here yet....
    04-28-2013 12:31 AM
    Unless you're running benchmarks there is no way you would perceive a difference.
    04-28-2013 12:34 AM
    I have my transitions set to 1x and I'm not noticing any lag on my S4. I'm not saying others aren't having issues with animations catching occasionally, but its not a performance issue where the UI is sluggish. Even the One with Sense 5 stripped down has animation catches from time to time. I'm just not going to overreact to people on here claiming its lag because it isn't. Does it need to be addressed by Samsung? Sure. Just in the same way the capacitive buttons and their lack of responsiveness on the One need to be addressed by HTC.

I really dislike what HTC did with the capacative buttons in the first place let alone this glitch on top of that
    madlaw1071 and jrvtecaccord like this.
    04-28-2013 02:09 AM
73 123