Gave my daughter the One and got me an S4

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's 2013 and this is a flagship phone. The fact that we are talking about lag means the software is an epic fail. It never should have been a question......Is the bar really that low?

If the people claiming lag were smart enough to know its not lag, there wouldn't be a discussion.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If the people claiming lag were smart enough to know its not lag, there wouldn't be a discussion.

Are you still pushing that touch wiz animation argument? FYI there are people who have been reporting actual stuttering/lag. Just because your device hasn't (according to you) doesn't automatically mean the others "weren't smart"

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Here's the problem with that argument. The average consumer isn't going to care to find a solution. They're just going to either 1) deal with it and move on 2) return it and get something different 3) exchange it numerous times until they get one that doesn't exhibit the same problem.

Ignorance to what lag is/isn't is not the problem.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Are you still pushing that touch wiz animation argument? FYI there are people who have been reporting actual stuttering/lag. Just because your device hasn't (according to you) doesn't automatically mean the others "weren't smart"

I'll continue to push it, too. I decided to ask Brian Klug from Anandtech awhile back about this and that was his response. If there was something performance related on the S4 that was causing it, that guy would know about it. Instead, we had a good laugh at those that think its actual lag. Also, he had someone tell him they felt Touchwiz made their phone faster, which is equally as amusing.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'll continue to push it, too. I decided to ask Brian Klug from Anandtech awhile back about this and that was his response. If there was something performance related on the S4 that was causing it, that guy would know about it. Instead, we had a good laugh at those that think its actual lag. Also, he had someone tell him they felt Touchwiz made their phone faster, which is equally as amusing.

The link below appears to be the cause and the solution to these reports. My question is the same as what another person posed in that thread: if that's what's causing these reported performance issues, then how is your average non techie user supposed to know this fix? Why is the "fix" not the default behavior if it's causing performance issues?

Most importantly of all, whether or not YOU believe this an issue is completely irrelevant. The fact that people ARE complaining about it at all means it's an issue for them and should have their complaints addressed by the seller. To say otherwise makes you worse than a complainent because it makes you an apologist.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The link below appears to be the cause and the solution to these reports. My question is the same as what another person posed in that thread: if that's what's causing these reported performance issues, then how is your average non techie user supposed to know this fix? Why is the "fix" not the default behavior if it's causing performance issues?

Most importantly of all, whether or not YOU believe this an issue is completely irrelevant. The fact that people ARE complaining about it at all means it's an issue for them and should have their complaints addressed by the seller. To say otherwise makes you worse than a complainent because it makes you an apologist.

I have my transitions set to 1x and I'm not noticing any lag on my S4. I'm not saying others aren't having issues with animations catching occasionally, but its not a performance issue where the UI is sluggish. Even the One with Sense 5 stripped down has animation catches from time to time. I'm just not going to overreact to people on here claiming its lag because it isn't. Does it need to be addressed by Samsung? Sure. Just in the same way the capacitive buttons and their lack of responsiveness on the One need to be addressed by HTC.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: after several hours some additional impressions

1. Still no sign of lag
2. Still get the OMG feeling from screen every time
3. Sound output thru my Bluetooth stereo headphones is phenomenal. Perhaps not as loud as the One but superior quality IMO. Like really good folks.
4. Camera and interface is significantly better than One.
5. I live in So. Fla. and today was bright sunny day. Had zero problems seeing screen even with shades on. This confirms several reviews that said Samsung really stepped up on this display.
6. Did I mention no lag yet?
7. Oh yeah the flipboard app with air preview absolutely crushes blink feed on One.

Thank you for the update, glad to see your experience thus far is going well... Just makes me itch that much more for a 32GB version... Why is it not here yet.... :'(

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have my transitions set to 1x and I'm not noticing any lag on my S4. I'm not saying others aren't having issues with animations catching occasionally, but its not a performance issue where the UI is sluggish. Even the One with Sense 5 stripped down has animation catches from time to time. I'm just not going to overreact to people on here claiming its lag because it isn't. Does it need to be addressed by Samsung? Sure. Just in the same way the capacitive buttons and their lack of responsiveness on the One need to be addressed by HTC.

I really dislike what HTC did with the capacative buttons in the first place let alone this glitch on top of that

MrCGym

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
even with everything I'm reading here I can't decide between the two. I will be switching from iPhone 4S and can't wait.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
#2. I have a good amount of lag
#6. The metal band around the phone is actually plastic made to look like metal....it's probably a good thing since metal would interfere with the radio

I also wanted to add on that the WiFi signal is a lot stronger when compared to the SGS3. I couldn't get WiFi in my driveway with the SGS3. I can get WiFi with the sgs4 easily almost in the street, which is about 50 feet further than sgs3 could

it honestly feels just like the SGS3 to me. The screen is definetly better though.

I do have lag...I hope a quick update will fix that....the SGS3 did too when it first came out and was later fixed with updates

Turn all the new sensors off should result in smoother performance and even better battery lIfe. IMO, most of the new sensors are superfluous.

sergeantandroid

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't really understand the uproar over aluminum or plastic casing. First of all you shouldn't be throwing your phone around regardless, and secondly if you drop your phone from a height high enough to damage it your likelihood of damaging the screen or the internals is just as great. Quit dropping your phone!!!!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
even with everything I'm reading here I can't decide between the two. I will be switching from iPhone 4S and can't wait.

It's not a easy decision. Everyone has their own personel likes and dislikes about both phones. I have the HTC One, but have also ordered the S4.

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
that's incorrect it notify for email text miss calls all messages

No, you're not understanding my context. You only get notifications when the phone is NOT charging. While charging, you get no visual notifications -- you only see the charge status (either amber or green). Hope that clarifies better.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
He stated is was not aluminum, and that that was good thing. =)

In my experience, painted plastic eventually chips.. Which will make it seem "cheap". Beware of cases that rub the painted areas..

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
In my experience, painted plastic eventually chips.. Which will make it seem "cheap". Beware of cases that rub the painted areas..

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

Same with apples aluminium iPhone. Just Google scuffgate

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
No, you're not understanding my context. You only get notifications when the phone is NOT charging. While charging, you get no visual notifications -- you only see the charge status (either amber or green). Hope that clarifies better.

Look into the Lightflow application. I get notifications for all sorts of things even while plugged in.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis