Gave my daughter the One and got me an S4

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Let me preface my comments by saying that this is completely opinion only. I've owned both devices and have very few things to say about either of them negatively.

Touchwiz and plastic builds are not for everyone. They weren't last year with the S3 when people bought the One X/EVO LTE as an alternative, or chose the Nexus 4 (which undoubtedly many of us will do again, One or S4, when the new Nexus comes out). When I think about build quality, and I highlighted this in my previous thread about the S4 design, I think about the entire spectrum. As much emphasis as everyone is putting into aluminum (premium) and plastic (cheap), I think big picture the Galaxy S4 is better designed while the One may have superior build materials.

My HTC One came out of the box with a gap in the polycarbonate and a screen that jutted out below the top speaker grill. Is it fair to say that because my device was poorly constructed that the phone in it's entirety is poor? No. There are several cases of this, but that's the risk taken when having a device that requires that level of intricacy in it's build process. My issue with the HTC One is how it was designed. Some of their ideas were incredible, while others still make me raise my eyebrow whenever I see the phone. I have zero issue with the use of aluminum. They've managed to keep the antennas working just fine despite the materials and that in its self is impressive. I think the speaker design, specifically that they're on the front, was another home run for HTC (something they seem to be particularly proud of as it's their main focus when marketing so far).

Unfortunately, for the One, that's where my positives end as it relates to the design. The button placement, while I originally thought it wasn't a huge deal, became almost painful in everyday use. These buttons are used everytime someone picks the device up and wants to use it. It's not to say that you can't get used to their placement, as I managed, but the transition to the S4 was a little weird because I had to get accustomed to something so completely different. It wasn't so much the placement that was obnoxious as it was the functionality of the buttons/capactive buttons. The top power button is too flush with the polycarbonate and can be bothersome. The sensors used under the back and home capacitive buttons have very limited range to pick up a button press as I found myself constantly having to tap twice. That may have been made easier, but having to switch positions holding the phone to reach the top button put my hand out of place. The chamfered edges are gorgeous, but they also made one-handed use of the phone uncomfortable. I found myself, after my initial honeymoon phase with the One, not excited to pick it up any longer. It was as if all the positives of the design, and there's a lot, were completely negated by some of their choices.

The S4, however, is like home. Side power button that easily accessible and easy to press. Normal button layout with capacitive buttons that require no second-taps. The plastic design, while not as pretty as the aluminum on the One, is more comfortable in the hand. It gets out of it's own way and that makes the difference for me. I'm also pro-SD/removable battery, too, so the added functionality of the S4 is important.

I don't want to turn this into a full-on comparison, but I will say that my reasoning for using the S4 over the One is because, to me, the One has flaws I cannot fix. It's all hardware choices or design choices that they've made that I can't get around that made me not want to use the phone any longer. I can put a case on the One to eliminate the chamfered edges, but I've never used a case on my phones and don't ever plan to. I can't change the button layout or how they function. I can't increase the MP on the camera to allow for better detail in good lighting and cropping. I can't increase the screen size as the black bar menu renders it even smaller as a result of their button choices (yes, I'm aware of what Google wants). I can't remove the battery or increase its size. I can't manually install an SD card, even though for me that's a very minor issue.

The S4 has faults, too, but most of those can be fixed via updates to the software or firmware. I'm aware that in the tech world I'm the minority, but I believe the S4 to be the better phone.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
No, you're not understanding my context. You only get notifications when the phone is NOT charging. While charging, you get no visual notifications -- you only see the charge status (either amber or green). Hope that clarifies better.

Pretty sure there is a "LED when charging" setting that you can turn to OFF...so the only LED action you are getting while plugged in is that of your emails/texts/etc.

Ventura726

May 16, 2012
Visit site
These forums and threads like this are both comforting and unnerving to me. Comforting because I find that I'm not the only grown man who's having this much difficulty deciding between two gadgets, but unnerving because I keep reading different opinions and points favoring each device, making my decision that much more difficult. I got the One about 10 days ago and was totally happy with it, yet I still had this annoying curiosity about the S4. Almost like I was missing out on something. I swung by the store and played with the S4 a few times and was fine with the One. Then I'd get home and read these forums and get that itch again. I decided to buy the S4 and compare the two side by side. Now I have until Sunday to return the One if I choose but I still haven't decided. They are both great and have amazing features. There are setbacks to each, but they are so minor that they don't sway me either way. I think the screen on the One is slightly better overall, and the One is a bit smoother, regardless of turning transitions down or off. Speakers are obviously better on the One but the S4 speaker isn't that bad. Both sound good with headphones which I would use much more than the built-in speakers anyway. There are a few features and UI things I prefer on the S4 which has me leaning that way but I'm still torn. I will say that when I'm out with the S4, the screen is amazing. I only notice that the One's screen is better when I'm looking at both simultaneously, and even then the difference is slight. Ugh. :-\ :confused:

roberts68

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
If you're having issues with that, turn off window/animation/transition scale in dev settings. And as far as reviewers being biased towards a device and saying things that are incorrect? Oh say it ain't so...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

How do you get to the Dev settings on the s4?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How do you get to the Dev settings on the s4?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
Setting>More>about device>Scroll down to build number,tap it quickly a couple times. Until a pop up says Developer mode has been enabled. press the 'back' button once and developer options show up just above 'about'.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
These forums and threads like this are both comforting and unnerving to me. Comforting because I find that I'm not the only grown man who's having this much difficulty deciding between two gadgets, but unnerving because I keep reading different opinions and points favoring each device, making my decision that much more difficult. I got the One about 10 days ago and was totally happy with it, yet I still had this annoying curiosity about the S4. Almost like I was missing out on something. I swung by the store and played with the S4 a few times and was fine with the One. Then I'd get home and read these forums and get that itch again. I decided to buy the S4 and compare the two side by side. Now I have until Sunday to return the One if I choose but I still haven't decided. They are both great and have amazing features. There are setbacks to each, but they are so minor that they don't sway me either way. I think the screen on the One is slightly better overall, and the One is a bit smoother, regardless of turning transitions down or off. Speakers are obviously better on the One but the S4 speaker isn't that bad. Both sound good with headphones which I would use much more than the built-in speakers anyway. There are a few features and UI things I prefer on the S4 which has me leaning that way but I'm still torn. I will say that when I'm out with the S4, the screen is amazing. I only notice that the One's screen is better when I'm looking at both simultaneously, and even then the difference is slight. Ugh. :-\ :confused:

First world problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12