05-03-2013 10:25 AM
73 123
tools
    Only had it 2 hours so initial impressions are limited:

1. Screen alone is worth the upgrade over the S3. It's bigger, brighter, crisper and more colorful.
    2. No lag yet and lots of apps updating/dowloading in the background.
    3. FASTer than the S3 by a lot.
    4. Waking the screen with a gesture to reveal notifications works, and it's cool
    5. 4.2.2 rocks
    6. Whoever says this thing isn't premium is smoking something. Compared to the S3 the S4 is tighter, more substantial and the metal band and swtichgear are a HUGE upgrade. Is it aluminum? No but I'm not afraid of scratching or dinging it either.

More to follow.
    04-27-2013 02:52 PM

1. Screen alone is worth the upgrade over the S3. It's bigger, brighter, crisper and more colorful.
    4. Waking the screen with a gesture to reveal notifications works, and it's cool
    5. 4.2.2 rocks
    6. Whoever says this thing isn't premium is smoking something. Compared to the S3 the S4 is tighter, more substantial and the metal band and swtichgear are a HUGE upgrade. Is it aluminum? No but I'm not afraid of scratching or dinging it either.

More to follow.
    Hearing about issues with lag had me a little bit worried. I am waiting until Verizon gets the S4 and will make my final decision at that time. Until then though I was hoping to get some more actual user opinions of the phone. It is fact that the phone is plastic and that doesn't bother me so I am getting sick of reading about that. Thanks for the info so far and I am looking forward to reading more about actual use.
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-27-2013 03:00 PM
    Hearing about issues with lag had me a little bit worried. I am waiting until Verizon gets the S4 and will make my final decision at that time. Until then though I was hoping to get some more actual user opinions of the phone. It is fact that the phone is plastic and that doesn't bother me so I am getting sick of reading about that. Thanks for the info so far and I am looking forward to reading more about actual use.
    What exactly would you like to know? What phone would you be upgrading from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    04-27-2013 03:30 PM
    Just having my customizable status light back is an upgrade over the One.
    lilkim429 likes this.
    04-27-2013 03:40 PM
    What exactly would you like to know? What phone would you be upgrading from?

I am just curious about the overall experience and use of new features. I have owned a GS3 and currently have a Note 2 so I am familiar with Touchwiz and a lot of the features. I was also a little worried about the lag claims. One feature in particular I would like to know more about is S-Health and how useful/accurate it actually is.
    04-27-2013 03:44 PM
    And having the full screen instead of missing a portion with the black bar menu button is just...so nice.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    04-27-2013 03:49 PM

5. 4.2.2 rocks

More to follow.
    #2. I have a good amount of lag
    #6. The metal band around the phone is actually plastic made to look like metal....it's probably a good thing since metal would interfere with the radio

I also wanted to add on that the WiFi signal is a lot stronger when compared to the SGS3. I couldn't get WiFi in my driveway with the SGS3. I can get WiFi with the sgs4 easily almost in the street, which is about 50 feet further than sgs3 could

it honestly feels just like the SGS3 to me. The screen is definetly better though.

I do have lag...I hope a quick update will fix that....the SGS3 did too when it first came out and was later fixed with updates
    TomsAndroid and Etios like this.
    04-27-2013 03:56 PM
    Im not experiencing any lag whatsoever. Really enjoying this phone compared to my iPhone 4s

04-27-2013 04:03 PM
    Im not experiencing any lag whatsoever. Really enjoying this phone compared to my iPhone 4s

That's weird. I get lag. Maybe I just notice it mire because the HTC is so damn fast and smooth

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    TomsAndroid, Etios and Danny Yang like this.
    04-27-2013 04:11 PM
    Still lost on people thinking the One is faster. Had both; S4 is quicker.

04-27-2013 04:19 PM

Huh...All the reviewers had defective models of S4 then. I haven't got mine yet but at least my firend's S4 for has lag. Haven't seen One yet so hard to compare. I'll start using S4 as my work phone and one as my personal phone next week so I will be doing lots of side by side comparisons to if the reviewers were quilty of lying to the public huh...
    04-27-2013 04:27 PM
    Huh...All the reviewers had defective models of S4 then. I haven't got mine yet but at least my firend's S4 for has lag. Haven't seen One yet so hard to compare. I'll start using S4 as my work phone and one as my personal phone next week so I will be doing lots of side by side comparisons to if the reviewers were quilty of lying to the public huh...
    I own both. HTC is smoother and faster. There is stutter and lag with the GS4. It really shows itself in messaging.

04-27-2013 04:29 PM
    Just having my customizable status light back is an upgrade over the One.
    It's not customizable on the One?
    04-27-2013 04:34 PM
    It's not customizable on the One?
    Other than what stock apps can give you notifications, no. And you get no notifications (only charge status) while plugged in. That's one of my biggest issues.
    LoWw and MERCDROID like this.
    04-27-2013 04:50 PM
    Other than what stock apps can give you notifications, no. And you get no notifications (only charge status) while plugged in. That's one of my biggest issues.
    Wow thats pretty dumb
    04-27-2013 04:54 PM
    And having the full screen instead of missing a portion with the black bar menu button is just...so nice.

That is pretty annoying but if I decide to keep the One a rom will take care of that problem.

My phone is a good One!
    04-27-2013 05:02 PM
    I own both. HTC is smoother and faster. There is stutter and lag with the GS4. It really shows itself in messaging.

If you're having issues with that, turn off window/animation/transition scale in dev settings. And as far as reviewers being biased towards a device and saying things that are incorrect? Oh say it ain't so...

04-27-2013 05:05 PM
    I went into AT&T earlier and got to look at both devices next to each other. I have to say the s4 is a lot more comfortable to hold. Just felt better in my hands, even though it has a bigger screen. Go figure lol.
    lilkim429 and madlaw1071 like this.
    04-27-2013 05:22 PM
    I call that child abuse. Should have given her the S4.
    04-27-2013 05:51 PM
    The S4 is a definite upgrade but maybe I set the bar too high. The phone feels like a piece of junk(I know I know, it's not)...the HTC One by far feels like a better quality phone(just my opinion). I have zero lag on my S4..I'm liking it but it hasn't really blown me away yet...but then again it's just a cell phone.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    04-27-2013 06:01 PM
    Wow thats pretty dumb
    What's worse is you won't hear reviewers speak about the short comings when it comes to the One...

This year I feel it has been the hardest to know the truth about phones and their weaknesses as their has been a huge bias in the phone media this year, the likes that I've never seen before.

Don't get me wrong, I think both phones are great, but I'm having a hard time getting the One.

This year is such a hard choice.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d
    04-27-2013 06:12 PM
    I went into AT&T earlier and got to look at both devices next to each other. I have to say the s4 is a lot more comfortable to hold. Just felt better in my hands, even though it has a bigger screen. Go figure lol.
    i came away with the exact same impression. i was expecting to like the feel of the One in hand better since it was metal, but not the case. the S4 for some reason, just feels better. the ergonomics of the device, the location of the power button and volume work really well for me. i tend to always hold phones in my left hand and prefer the feel of the S4. i like the One too, but the larger screen on the S4 just pops in comparison to the One imo. Only thing I'm not crazy about is touchwiz, but a different launcher fixes that issue pretty quickly.
    04-27-2013 06:30 PM
    you dont get a flashing led for missing calls/sms and emails ??? (On the HTC One)
    04-27-2013 06:32 PM
    you dont get a flashing led for missing calls/sms and emails ??? (On the HTC One)
    I think he meant to say it isn't able to be customized (the color of it). I tried doing it with my Evo3D -- unless HTC upped their notification light sensor thing I don't think it has changed.

To be fair, the GS4 has a very very dim notification light.
    04-27-2013 06:55 PM

Same here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    04-27-2013 07:31 PM
73 123