I'm sorry but....

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Its very difficult to use any LCD/AMOLED device in full sunlight. Why did the producers choose that situation? Wasn't there a coffee cafe nearby with better lighting? IF I remember right the questions asked the "random people in the park" induced the viewer to believe these people would make a major purchasing decision costing hundreds of dollars and probably locking them into a multi-year contract based on a 1 minute exposure to both devices in harsh sunlight. I was shocked this web site would stoop so low to somehow illustrate that people would like device A or device B. Here you are asking us -- the REAL volunteers -- to tone back our new found enthusiasm for a product the so-called professional journalists lambasted in review after review for having cheap plastic construction. I walked out of the AT&T store today after examining the S4 and HTC One with profound disappointment with the reviewers who repeated the anti-plastic mantra.

Reverse the reviews? Why? I expect neutral honesty from all professional reviewers worth any salt.

No you don't. You want to invent some grand conspiracy that doesn't exist.

People that get to try all the phones as they are released have a different opinion than you do. You'll have to find a way to get over it.

Nothing was set up, nobody stooped anywhere, and you're wrong.

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the S4 is getting a really bad rap.. that's the only reason I defend it. I've been a long-standing HTC fan but think it's ridiculous how much Samsung is getting bashed on.

I think a healthy dose of lukewarm reception would actually be good for Samsung. I used to swear by their products years ago but lately I just feel like they've been too relaxed in their success. I have a good long history of Samsung hardware failing on me prematurely. The stuff I'd bought from them prior to around 2007 was never like that and was rock solid. They just come off as being more interested in adding bling frills to attract buyers than they are in maintaining the high QC standards I used to like them for. It's like there was a shift in their business philosophy after success.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
As for the topic --

There's nothing wrong with the S4. Not a damn thing. I like the One a bit better, but understand why others would see it differently. Most important of all, I don't worry about it. Enjoy what you spent your money on.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

People that get to try all the phones as they are released have a different opinion than you do. You'll have to find a way to get over it.

I've been on record stating I think some reviews may have been too biased. Alex's review isn't one of them, although I disagree with the build quality assessment. I wouldn't be here posting if AC was like that. The comparison video in the park was fine, too. Phil, Jerry, Alex, and the crew here aren't playing favorites; they've always been objective.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
The only review I care about on any phone is mine.

If I like it and it fits my needs I could care less what Jerry, the President or Moe Larry and Curly think about my phone. I'm the one who uses it every day.

If you like a phone get it if you don't forget it.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
As for the topic --

There's nothing wrong with the S4. Not a damn thing. I like the One a bit better, but understand why others would see it differently. Most important of all, I don't worry about it. Enjoy what you spent your money on.

Exactly! I think the biggest problem here, is the amount of HTC fans coming in here, trying to trash the S4 with 0 experience on the phone.

So because there was so much bashing, the OP wanted to counter, after having purchased and used the phone.

Which I am in favor of...

To be honest, I really liked how the One looked, and the S4. I think I only started to develope any sort of bias against the One, because of how many trolls were hopping over to bash something that was not even out yet.

Coupled with the insane amount of backlash over it not being "revolutionary...." Which imo, a .2" larger screen, in a thinner, lighter, yet same form factor body, is pretty revolutionary.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Every review I read from so-called neutral professional journalists comparing the HTC One to the Samsung GS4 mentioned the metal vs plastic materials mantra. Now people, like myself, actually handled and played with both are coming away shaking their heads amazed about the quality feel and experience from handling the GS4. So why do you want to put a damper on it? I feel like most reviewers were not honest when they continually harped on the plastic GS4. And the video your company put together walking in some park in FULL sunlight asking people which one they preferred is ridiculous. What a joke.

Most people that follow the business end of both companies know it might be do-or-die for HTC if the One isn't a smash hit with mega sales. I for one hope enough people like and buy the One to keep HTC from going belly-up and out of business.

I'm sorry, but tbh, this feels more like you're saying "I feel like so-called neutral reviewers are lying through their teeth when they don't agree with me, but when they do agree with me, they have no bias at all and are perfectly in the right."

ugahairydawgs

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We're talking about cell phones. Unless the things start coming in at 7" and have the heft of a small brick, they're all going to feel comfortable in somebody's hand.

Galaxy S-whatever, HTC whatever, iPhone whatever....all feel fine in the hand.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

We'll just agree to disagree. But I'm glad there's a growing number of people here, after finally getting first hand experience with the S4 and the HTC One, who realize most of the so-called journalist reviewers had it wrong for some reason.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I watched the AC Central Park video and thought the S4 held its own quite well. For every person that likes the solid metal feels of the One there are just as many people that will think it's too big and heavy compared to the lighter smaller S4.

I will say however that it was the AC review that used the term "perceived lag" that may have unwittingly unleashed the firestorm in the forums. I've read dozens of S4 reviews and none complained of lag, perceived or otherwise. That combined with some of the moderators being honest with the preference for the One and the flames were fueled.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
TechRadar gets it right.
Samsung Galaxy S4 review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar
...while it's not got the best design on the market when it comes to materials, it's a big step forward compared to the Galaxy S3 and allows for a grippy and easy-to-hold phone, with a whopping screen inside.
To just dismiss it for being plastic would be doing the S4 a disservice as it has so much more going for it than that...

ugahairydawgs

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We'll just agree to disagree. But I'm glad there's a growing number of people here, after finally getting first hand experience with the S4 and the HTC One, who realize most of the so-called journalist reviewers had it wrong for some reason.

Subjective opinions, by definition, cannot be wrong. When you read a review it is implied that you are being painted a picture through the eyes of the reviewer. People like to treat these reviews as gospel and use the content therein as backup to help advance the cause of their own argument.

All of the top end phones are good. Galaxy S4, HTC One, Lumina 920, iPhone 5, Blackberry Z10.....all very good phones. The "best" is going to be something that varies from person to person. We need to stop trying to categorically say otherwise.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but tbh, this feels more like you're saying "I feel like so-called neutral reviewers are lying through their teeth when they don't agree with me, but when they do agree with me, they have no bias at all and are perfectly in the right."

Not at all. Before having first hand experience with both phones all I had to go on was the so-called professional reviewers. After reading review after review I couldn't get over how nearly every one harped on the cheap-like plastic of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the beautifully elegant metal body of the HTC One. I'm thinking the vast majority of cell phones have plastic bodies but seldom do these same reviewers feel the need to mention it. Somehow the plastic doesn't affect the performance or enjoyment of these phones. But when it comes to Samsung's Galaxy line the plastic body HAS to be mentioned by these so-called professional journalists. (At least I think they call themselves journalists; maybe not!?) Very weird. And then after my own experience I was surprisingly shocked at the quality of the S4. "But ... I thought the reviewers said ..... ??" More and more people here are saying the very same thing. Is it a movement by the little people against the Establishment?? haha

Hey, lets hope enough people buy the HTC One. And they don't return them for the S4 like we're hearing more and more of in this S4 Forum. (Yikes) HTC is on the financial ropes, folks. Literally! Their CEO has taken so much heat over the last few quarters from investors to say he would step down if the HTC One isn't a major success. So come on folks, buy that HTC One! The more manufacturers we have competing against each other the better for us consumers.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely agree with the OP. Checked out the S4 at my local AT&T store and it feels very solid and nice in the hand. Both HTC and Samsung came out with great phones but most are focusing on the aluminum design that HTC has used. I would have a hard time trying to decide between the phones but don't understand most of the complaints about the GS4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't really care what they are made out of and how they feel since I will have a good hard case on the phone anyways.

Exactly. And if people think an aluminum case won't scratch or dent ... they're only fooling themselves. IF the S4 came in a aluminum case I'd still dress it up in a protective case.

I've read rumors that Samsung will be releasing a rugged, waterproof version of the S4 in July in the hopes of grabbing some of the government and military business. Wouldn't it be funny if it came in an aluminum chassis?? haha.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I am torn right now. A couple days ago my friend got her Galaxy S4 and she let me play with it and unlike what reviews were say the screen was just as beautiful and crisp as my HTC One. Actually I preferred the how the colors pop out at you on the GS4 a little better. The GS4 also feels better to hold in one hand to me than the HTC One and is also lighter. Yea it does feel a little plastic but compared to my old GS3 it feels more solid than that. I love how the GS4 uses lock screen widgets on 4.2. The only issue that stopped me from turning in my One and jumping ship is the fact that they haven't done much to revamp Touch Wiz. I still hate it with a passion. It is so ugly compared to Sense 5. I'm not one to bash Samsung for the Gimmicks they throw on there because I know I can simply turn them off like I did on my GS3 but I still think Touch Wiz is hideous. Yuck. I still have time to return my One though so I am still thinking about it.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am torn right now. A couple days ago my friend got her Galaxy S4 and she let me play with it and unlike what reviews were say the screen was just as beautiful and crisp as my HTC One. Actually I preferred the how the colors pop out at you on the GS4 a little better. The GS4 also feels better to hold in one hand to me than the HTC One and is also lighter. Yea it does feel a little plastic but compared to my old GS3 it feels more solid than that. I love how the GS4 uses lock screen widgets on 4.2. The only issue that stopped me from turning in my One and jumping ship is the fact that they haven't done much to revamp Touch Wiz. I still hate it with a passion. It is so ugly compared to Sense 5. I'm not one to bash Samsung for the Gimmicks they throw on there because I know I can simply turn them off like I did on my GS3 but I still think Touch Wiz is hideous. Yuck. I still have time to return my One though so I am still thinking about it.

If the look of Touchwiz is the only thing that bothers you about the S4, a third party launcher can fix most of it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante