05-05-2013 09:37 AM
131 12345 ...
tools
    TechRadar gets it right.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar
    ...while it's not got the best design on the market when it comes to materials, it's a big step forward compared to the Galaxy S3 and allows for a grippy and easy-to-hold phone, with a whopping screen inside.
    To just dismiss it for being plastic would be doing the S4 a disservice as it has so much more going for it than that...
    madlaw1071 and Wilbur like this.
    04-28-2013 10:08 AM
    We'll just agree to disagree. But I'm glad there's a growing number of people here, after finally getting first hand experience with the S4 and the HTC One, who realize most of the so-called journalist reviewers had it wrong for some reason.
    Subjective opinions, by definition, cannot be wrong. When you read a review it is implied that you are being painted a picture through the eyes of the reviewer. People like to treat these reviews as gospel and use the content therein as backup to help advance the cause of their own argument.

All of the top end phones are good. Galaxy S4, HTC One, Lumina 920, iPhone 5, Blackberry Z10.....all very good phones. The "best" is going to be something that varies from person to person. We need to stop trying to categorically say otherwise.
    mballs4life, jroc and chesalaam like this.
    04-28-2013 10:10 AM
    I'm sorry, but tbh, this feels more like you're saying "I feel like so-called neutral reviewers are lying through their teeth when they don't agree with me, but when they do agree with me, they have no bias at all and are perfectly in the right."
    Not at all. Before having first hand experience with both phones all I had to go on was the so-called professional reviewers. After reading review after review I couldn't get over how nearly every one harped on the cheap-like plastic of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the beautifully elegant metal body of the HTC One. I'm thinking the vast majority of cell phones have plastic bodies but seldom do these same reviewers feel the need to mention it. Somehow the plastic doesn't affect the performance or enjoyment of these phones. But when it comes to Samsung's Galaxy line the plastic body HAS to be mentioned by these so-called professional journalists. (At least I think they call themselves journalists; maybe not!?) Very weird. And then after my own experience I was surprisingly shocked at the quality of the S4. "But ... I thought the reviewers said ..... ??" More and more people here are saying the very same thing. Is it a movement by the little people against the Establishment?? haha

Hey, lets hope enough people buy the HTC One. And they don't return them for the S4 like we're hearing more and more of in this S4 Forum. (Yikes) HTC is on the financial ropes, folks. Literally! Their CEO has taken so much heat over the last few quarters from investors to say he would step down if the HTC One isn't a major success. So come on folks, buy that HTC One! The more manufacturers we have competing against each other the better for us consumers.
    04-28-2013 10:31 AM
    I absolutely agree with the OP. Checked out the S4 at my local AT&T store and it feels very solid and nice in the hand. Both HTC and Samsung came out with great phones but most are focusing on the aluminum design that HTC has used. I would have a hard time trying to decide between the phones but don't understand most of the complaints about the GS4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    04-28-2013 10:52 AM
    I don't really care what they are made out of and how they feel since I will have a good hard case on the phone anyways.
    Wilbur likes this.
    04-28-2013 11:09 AM
    I don't really care what they are made out of and how they feel since I will have a good hard case on the phone anyways.
    Exactly. And if people think an aluminum case won't scratch or dent ... they're only fooling themselves. IF the S4 came in a aluminum case I'd still dress it up in a protective case.

I've read rumors that Samsung will be releasing a rugged, waterproof version of the S4 in July in the hopes of grabbing some of the government and military business. Wouldn't it be funny if it came in an aluminum chassis?? haha.
    04-28-2013 11:20 AM
    I am torn right now. A couple days ago my friend got her Galaxy S4 and she let me play with it and unlike what reviews were say the screen was just as beautiful and crisp as my HTC One. Actually I preferred the how the colors pop out at you on the GS4 a little better. The GS4 also feels better to hold in one hand to me than the HTC One and is also lighter. Yea it does feel a little plastic but compared to my old GS3 it feels more solid than that. I love how the GS4 uses lock screen widgets on 4.2. The only issue that stopped me from turning in my One and jumping ship is the fact that they haven't done much to revamp Touch Wiz. I still hate it with a passion. It is so ugly compared to Sense 5. I'm not one to bash Samsung for the Gimmicks they throw on there because I know I can simply turn them off like I did on my GS3 but I still think Touch Wiz is hideous. Yuck. I still have time to return my One though so I am still thinking about it.
    Wilbur likes this.
    04-28-2013 11:35 AM
    I am torn right now. A couple days ago my friend got her Galaxy S4 and she let me play with it and unlike what reviews were say the screen was just as beautiful and crisp as my HTC One. Actually I preferred the how the colors pop out at you on the GS4 a little better. The GS4 also feels better to hold in one hand to me than the HTC One and is also lighter. Yea it does feel a little plastic but compared to my old GS3 it feels more solid than that. I love how the GS4 uses lock screen widgets on 4.2. The only issue that stopped me from turning in my One and jumping ship is the fact that they haven't done much to revamp Touch Wiz. I still hate it with a passion. It is so ugly compared to Sense 5. I'm not one to bash Samsung for the Gimmicks they throw on there because I know I can simply turn them off like I did on my GS3 but I still think Touch Wiz is hideous. Yuck. I still have time to return my One though so I am still thinking about it.
    If the look of Touchwiz is the only thing that bothers you about the S4, a third party launcher can fix most of it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    04-28-2013 11:39 AM
    Right! I have the same situation with my this S4. It sometimes makes me dismal.
    Several solutions are there but, like
    JSXL Technology - Your Factory in the Cloud.
    04-28-2013 11:47 AM
    If the look of Touchwiz is the only thing that bothers you about the S4, a third party launcher can fix most of it.
    Really? Fantastic. I thought the phone had to be rooted to use a third party launcher.

Yea but I'll still get the ugly icons Sense 5 is just so beautiful I wish I could put it in a Galaxy S4 body. Is there anybody else on here that took there One back for a GS4? If so why?
    Buy an aluminum phone and smack a plastic/ rubber case on it lol so what's the point?!

Buy a premium phone with a plastic removable back and smack a rubber/ plastic case on it.

Both at the end will be the same but the S4 with 10x more features it will take up the two year contract to get bored of....unlike the One with um, blink feed, Zoe, and......uh that's it lol.

Yea, unanimous descision here.
    Galaxy S4 is an overall BETTER smartphone APART from opinions and personal preferences.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    04-28-2013 12:08 PM
    I am with you 100%

Spent at least an hour with them both... and I have to say, I would have buyers remorse had I purchased an HTC One.
    I had buyers remorse after buying the one. I had two. Both defective. Returned and got my beautiful S4. Not defective. Speaks volumes to me if I don't have to constantly exchange due to crappy quality control.

Also, people are praising the one because it's the first Android to have such a premium material used for its case. I'm pretty sure when the shock wears off more and more will see that the Samsung is the top performer.
    04-28-2013 12:17 PM
    Buy an aluminum phone and smack a plastic/ rubber case on it lol so what's the point?!

Buy a premium phone with a plastic removable back and smack a rubber/ plastic case on it.

Both at the end will be the same but the S4 with 10x more features it will take up the two year contract to get bored of....unlike the One with um, blink feed, Zoe, and......uh that's it lol.

Yea, unanimous descision here.
    Galaxy S4 is an overall BETTER smartphone APART from opinions and personal preferences.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Lol, that's completely opinionated.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    04-28-2013 12:27 PM
    I had buyers remorse after buying the one. I had two. Both defective. Returned and got my beautiful S4. Not defective. Speaks volumes to me if I don't have to constantly exchange due to crappy quality control.

Also, people are praising the one because it's the first Android to have such a premium material used for its case. I'm pretty sure when the shock wears off more and more will see that the Samsung is the top performer.
    The "top performer" shouldn't lag in everyday use.

04-28-2013 12:28 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-2013 12:37 PM

I've experienced zero lag? Day two with this phone and it's flawless. Good try.

madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-28-2013 01:16 PM
    I've experienced zero lag? Day two with this phone and it's flawless. Good try.

And no one else has?

Hint: others have.

04-28-2013 01:18 PM
    No lag here either.

Even if it did lag slightly it's much easier to fix than all of the problems the One is having. From poor build quality to defective buttons to poor camera performance.. HTC has already announced fixes are in the works. It happens.
    04-28-2013 02:03 PM
    Is everyone finding the stock keyboard acceptable? If it would just auto correct my mistakes I'd love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-2013 02:09 PM
    No lag here either.

Even if it did lag slightly it's much easier to fix than all of the problems the One is having. From poor build quality to defective buttons to poor camera performance.. HTC has already announced fixes are in the works. It happens.
    What fixes have they announced? Please post. I'm curious

04-28-2013 02:10 PM
    Yea but I'll still get the ugly icons Sense 5 is just so beautiful I wish I could put it in a Galaxy S4 body. Is there anybody else on here that took there One back for a GS4? If so why?
    No you won't. The themes have icon packs that can replace your stock icons.

04-28-2013 02:14 PM
    No you won't. The themes have icon packs that can replace your stock icons.

Do any of them have stock icons? None that I've seen do.

04-28-2013 02:15 PM
    What fixes have they announced? Please post. I'm curious

At least 2 camera fixes and one for the buttons. Feel free to google to head over to the One forums. There's a long bug thread over there.
    04-28-2013 02:16 PM
    At least 2 camera fixes and one for the buttons. Feel free to google to head over to the One forums. There's a long bug thread over there.
    These are HTC announced fixes? I've seen the bug thread but that doesn't mean it's an HTC acknowledged problem that is being addressed

04-28-2013 02:20 PM
131 12345 ...