04-28-2013 07:30 PM
55 123
tools
    I just spent 30 minutes at my local sprint store using it. It lags just like the S3 did, which is inexcusable.

It is not blowing it out of proportion that Samsung failed to optimize the software to such an extent that it is being manifested in stutter and lag. Especially considering that their last flagship had the exact same issues.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    A whole 30 minutes? Not surprising to see you've got the HTC One, too. Is it excusable that many people, myself included, had horrific responsiveness in the capacitive keys? Or that the screen actually stuck out from the speaker grill enough that when I dragged down the notification shade my finger would rub against it? I get it, man; you like the One and want it to be the best. Each phone has their drawbacks right now. Let's not pretend there's a perfect phone out there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    04-28-2013 05:20 PM
    They have had years to sorry out the stuttering and haven't so don't hold your breath. Having said that, its only occasional and its no biggie. Its a great phone, enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    04-28-2013 05:21 PM
    I just spent 30 minutes at my local sprint store using it. It lags just like the S3 did, which is inexcusable.

It is not blowing it out of proportion that Samsung failed to optimize the software to such an extent that it is being manifested in stutter and lag. Especially considering that their last flagship had the exact same issues.

This actually helps me out a lot. I was worried about these lag claims but I am not too worried anymore. I had bought an S3 when it was first released on Verizon and I was extremely happy with the device. So if that was terrible lag, I will love the S4. Also I love how the majority of these claims are "sent from my HTC One". If you were actually happy with your Ones and not at least a little jealous you all wouldn't be over here trolling and bashing the S4.
    04-28-2013 05:26 PM
    A whole 30 minutes? Not surprising to see you've got the HTC One, too. Is it excusable that many people, myself included, had horrific responsiveness in the capacitive keys? Or that the screen actually stuck out from the speaker grill enough that when I dragged down the notification shade my finger would rub against it? I get it, man; you like the One and want it to be the best. Each phone has their drawbacks right now. Let's not pretend there's a perfect phone out there.

Yes 30 minutes. That was all it took to make it immediately apparent how poorly written Samsungs software is.

The One's issues aren't excusable either. But, it has also been proven that capacitive key issues are related to using a screen protector, something that I have personally verified.

I have no horse in this race. I will choose whatever device suits me best. When T-mobile gets their S4 I will spend some time with it, and see if I would prefer it over the One. Based on my time with Sprints version I'm not optimistic, but I will still give it a chance.

Also, why are you so blindly defending the S4? Its software issues are an issue. You need to acknowledge that instead of reverting to the troll position of 'But...but...the One!'

04-28-2013 05:27 PM
    They're harping on it because it has been an issue in EVERY reputable review of the device, along with hands on reports from members here. They are not wrong. If a phone lags, for example whatever reason, it is an indication that the processor cannot keep up with the software.

Users shouldn't HAVE to disable or speed up animations in order to get the same experience you can get out of the box with other handsets. It doesn't matter what the reason for it is, what matters is that it IS an issue and it IS something Samsung will have to take care of.
    That is not at all correct... There are so many more factors involved in animation stuttering I dont have the time to go into it here. Not to discount it happening for some people, but lets be factual here.
    04-28-2013 05:30 PM
    This actually helps me out a lot. I was worried about these lag claims but I am not too worried anymore. I had bought an S3 when it was first released on Verizon and I was extremely happy with the device. So if that was terrible lag, I will love the S4. Also I love how the majority of these claims are "sent from my HTC One". If you were actually happy with your Ones and not at least a little jealous you all wouldn't be over here trolling and bashing the S4.
    SPOT ON!

I do not understand why all of these One owners are trolling the S4 section, unless for not other reason than buyers remorse/jealousy... Or they are just so bent out of shape that they have to come take out their frustrations on others.
    04-28-2013 05:32 PM
    Yes 30 minutes. That was all it took to make it immediately apparent how poorly written Samsungs software is.

The One's issues aren't excusable either. But, it has also been proven that capacitive key issues are related to using a screen protector, something that I have personally verified.

I have no horse in this race. I will choose whatever device suits me best. When T-mobile gets their S4 I will spend some time with it, and see if I would prefer it over the One. Based on my time with Sprints version I'm not optimistic, but I will still give it a chance.

Also, why are you so blindly defending the S4? Its software issues are an issue. You need to acknowledge that instead of reverting to the troll position of 'But...but...the One!'

I just acknowledged this in the post above. I've acknowledged it the whole time. I'm sorry that I'm not outraged because its not that big of a deal and its user fixable. Also I haven't had any real stutter on my device and haven't had to do anything.

I don't use screen protectors. My One did it anyways. I'm guessing using a screen protector would have been even worse.

Unlike you, I've owned both devices. I'm not blindly defending anything at all. I'm just not going to make a huge deal out of something just because people who don't even own the device and own the One think its the worst thing in the world. The One is a great phone and you should be very happy with it, but my guess is you'll only be happy with it if people unanimously crown it the best phone in the world. I picked my horse in this race, but I also acknowledge its issues and and that the One is a better choice for some users.

04-28-2013 05:37 PM
    That is not at all correct... There are so many more factors involved in animation stuttering I dont have the time to go into it here. Not to discount it happening for some people, but lets be factual here.
    We are being factual. Its been an issue in every review, and was also experienced on the S3. The only constant between them is Samsungs crappy software.

04-28-2013 05:43 PM
    I just acknowledged this in the post above. I've acknowledged it the whole time. I'm sorry that I'm not outraged because its not that big of a deal and its user fixable. Also I haven't had any real stutter on my device and haven't had to do anything.

I don't use screen protectors. My One did it anyways. I'm guessing using a screen protector would have been even worse.

Unlike you, I've owned both devices. I'm not blindly defending anything at all. I'm just not going to make a huge deal out of something just because people who don't even own the device and own the One think its the worst thing in the world. The One is a great phone and you should be very happy with it, but my guess is you'll only be happy with it if people unanimously crown it the best phone in the world. I picked my horse in this race, but I also acknowledge its issues and and that the One is a better choice for some users.

Actually read what others post before you respond. I like the One, but I will be giving the S4 a chance once I can actually buy one from my carrier.

You are attempting to say that the S4s lag is not an issue; it is. Just like any capacitive button issues on the One or so on. Anyone that claims otherwise is not being honest in the discussion.

04-28-2013 05:46 PM
    You want lag, try using the old school HTC Evo 4g.
    04-28-2013 05:48 PM
    There may be some HTC One owners here but I am not one of them. I have owned The Captivate, SII, SII Skyrocket, S3, OG Note, Note 2 all on ATT. I guess I am a Samsung fanboy...I thought we were getting close to perfection with the Note 2 with quad core versus the UI etc and lag. I am just disappointed there MAY still be some present like many reviews and posts suggest. I viewed several you tube videos comparing the S4 to the Note 2 and I was pretty impressed how the Note 2 stacks up. I will hold with my Note 2 for a while to see how updates progress on the S4 or maybe even the 32GB since my upgrade is the first week of June. Although I must say if it is the same or less than my Note 2 or even the S3 that I had, it will be fine for me.
    The Real X Dawg likes this.
    04-28-2013 05:51 PM
    Actually read what others post before you respond. I like the One, but I will be giving the S4 a chance once I can actually buy one from my carrier.

You are attempting to say that the S4s lag is not an issue; it is. Just like any capacitive button issues on the One or so on. Anyone that claims otherwise is not being honest in the discussion.

One more time; it's an issue. You're just going to keep going until I start hating my own phone, huh? You're right, JHBThree. Its so awful. Please, tell me more about my phone that you've had a half hour with at a Sprint store.

04-28-2013 05:54 PM
    ty! Truthfully, i ONLY noticed the stuttering when i FIRST was setting everything up. Its still there but so many great things going on with the phone (and it does FLY most of the time) its not even something i think about : )

lol, no, its def the LTE radio heating up, but like i said i disabled it by making a second APN setting and can easily toggle between the two.

And (after about 4 - 6 more hours constant use) noticed there is not even one heat issue other than that. I can live with keeping it on 3G most of he time, (AT&T 3G here delivers a consistant 4-6 MBPS on 3G) if DO need to turn on 4G for a speedy quick d/l of a file, i'll just hold it with an "oven mitt" during the download...lol

BTC
    Oven mitt....
    04-28-2013 05:55 PM
    You want lag, try using the old school HTC Evo 4g.
    Lol That's the phone I'll be upgrading from. So I'm sure I'll consider this phone to be a big improvement.
    04-28-2013 05:58 PM
    One more time; it's an issue. You're just going to keep going until I start hating my own phone, huh? You're right, JHBThree. Its so awful. Please, tell me more about my phone that you've had a half hour with at a Sprint store.

Sounds like you have your own issues. (or just haven't been paying any attention at all) As I've said, the lag is an issue, but it doesn't ruin the S4. It IS curious, however, that Samsung still doesn't know how to write software that isn't garbage.

04-28-2013 05:58 PM
    Sounds like you have your own issues. (or just haven't been paying any attention at all) As I've said, the lag is an issue, but it doesn't ruin the S4. Just because you can't read doesn't give you the right to act like a child.

It's called sarcasm. You'll get it in a few minutes. Are we done, though? I've acknowledged it's an issue. You've shown that you own the HTC One. This will go on forever.

04-28-2013 06:00 PM
    It's called sarcasm. You'll get it in a few minutes. Are we done, though? I've acknowledged it's an issue. You've shown that you own the HTC One. This will go on forever.

Are YOU done? The only one that's been behaving like a boor in here is you.

04-28-2013 06:03 PM

JHB, your insistent need to point out the "flaws" of the S4 are entertaining. I think that is what Eric was getting at. You own a One, yet you persist to point out the flaws of the S4, would it not be more beneficial to your use of energy to point out the flaws of the One in the HTC One section, so they may get fixed?

Since you don't have, and have not used the device, your opinion of its flaws are irrelevant as you have 0 firsthand experience.
    GrooveRite likes this.
    04-28-2013 06:10 PM
    JHB, your insistent need to point out the "flaws" of the S4 are entertaining. I think that is what Eric was getting at. You own a One, yet you persist to point out the flaws of the S4, would it not be more beneficial to your use of energy to point out the flaws of the One in the HTC One section, so they may get fixed?

Since you don't have, and have not used the device, your opinion of its flaws are irrelevant as you have 0 firsthand experience.
    I've used the device, so you can stop your trolling before you even start. I've also said I will look at the S4 when my carrier starts selling it.

04-28-2013 06:14 PM
    I've used the device, so you can stop your trolling before you even start. I've also said I will look at the S4 when my carrier starts selling it.

Me start trolling? You are an HTC One owner, meaning you are vested in the device, i.e. you spent hard earned money on it, yet you come to the S4 section spewing garbage about the device after having used it for supposedly only 30mins.... Give me a break, and go back to the One section.
    TheOtherBill and GrooveRite like this.
    04-28-2013 06:22 PM

Not true, man. He's got a whole 30 minutes at the Sprint store with their demo.

04-28-2013 06:24 PM
    I think the (occasional) shutter / lag issue on the S4 has been blown out of proportion. Lets face it, anyone (myself included) who has lived in the Android space for several years has had to deal with shutter / lag on their phone. (For the record, I am a big fan of the HTC ONE).

I think this issue is something that Google and Android OEMs have to continue to work on and improve if we are to win over more iPhone users.

Project Butter was a good attempt from Google. HTC's Sense 5 also does a great job of keeping the UI animations smooth & snappy (unlike previous versions of Sense). I think Samsung being the most visible representative of Android needs to work even harder in this space.
    04-28-2013 06:48 PM
    I think the (occasional) shutter / lag issue on the S4 has been blown out of proportion. Lets face it, anyone (myself included) who has lived in the Android space for several years has had to deal with shutter / lag on their phone. (For the record, I am a big fan the HTC ONE).

I think this issue is something that Google and Android OEMs have to continue to work on and improve if we are to win over more iPhone users.

Project Butter was a good attempt from Google. HTC's Sense 5 also does a great job of keeping the UI animations smooth & snappy (unlike previous versions of Sense). I think Samsung being the most visible representative of Android needs to work even harder in this space.
    I couldn't agree more with everything you said here. Great post!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    antw081 likes this.
    04-28-2013 06:52 PM

Must every GS4- or One-related thread turn into something like this?

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    04-28-2013 06:59 PM
    Me start trolling? You are an HTC One owner, meaning you are vested in the device, i.e. you spent hard earned money on it, yet you come to the S4 section spewing garbage about the device after having used it for supposedly only 30mins.... Give me a break, and go back to the One section.
    It's an open forum. If you don't like other people contributing, delete your account and leave.
    04-28-2013 07:00 PM
55 123