EIGHT HOURS Of Constant use, here are my findings : ))

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
When i called AT&T this am and he was like, yeah, we got 'em, i was like, "whaaaaa? That was wayyyyy tooo easy,i'll prolly hate the phone.... " Um, noooooooooo, i sure don't "hate it"! Spent approx 30 seconds with it before i was like, "wrap it up, i'll take it!"....

First off, i thought i was "soooo over WHITE phones" and would get the black one... Well, the black one was so bland, and because of the dots, it didn't really look black, more like a greyish/bronze shade, PLUS fingerprints showed BIG TIME. The white was much cleaner and sharper looking and has a kinda bright white pearly hue, so i got the white one : ) Am loving the color decision i made.

i will say i have been putting it thru its paces and i have found ONLY 2 niggles. (And i been a-lookin'...lol)

The phone gets HOT, and i don't mean just warm... and i wasn't really doing a thing.... it was driving me crazy, so i researched how to turn off LTE since there's no toggle for it to see if thats the reason (where i am LTE is spotty) and i found an article that showed how to set up an AT&T APN that used 3G signal ONLY so i have done that and i think its making a world of diff where heat is concerned, however, not sure how i feel about only 4MBPS vs the 13-16 with it on... I was able to save BOTH and can switch my APN's when i need/want 4G so we'll see how that goes...)

2nd blip is the phone stutters. Not the super smooth experience Jellybean initially delivered, but the stutters are very very slight, only during some actions, but hard core Androidians will notice, regular folks will not, for me, i THINK i can live with it, as this phone is perfect asides from those TWO things....

There is NOT even one area that they did NOT improve, it is an upgrade on every single front and i don't care who disagrees : ) But before you do, plz keep this in mind: Its one thing to observe it from your easy chair watching a review or even toy with it for a couple of seconds when its on that funky spiral lock thingey @ the store, but its a wholeeeeeeeeeee 'nother thing to go hands on it with it, personalizing it, using the buttons, the camera, experiencing the ease of how it performs each function, the feel of it, the crispness of it, the sound of it, the design of it, ETC ETC ETC!!!

I didn't want to sound like a Sammy Girl but what the h*ll?! i yam!
:-*

(Sorry, i know i already posted my screenshot BUT not everyone reads that sticky and this lockscreen ROCKS!)

BTC

screenshotBTC-2_zps3f3a266f.png

Last edited:

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
That was a good read. I like your style! I hope they work out the stuttering issues with a future update.

ty! Truthfully, i ONLY noticed the stuttering when i FIRST was setting everything up. Its still there but so many great things going on with the phone (and it does FLY most of the time) its not even something i think about : )

Nice! I can't wait to get my beaters on one. And probably hot 'cause you're not putting it down. :D

lol, no, its def the LTE radio heating up, but like i said i disabled it by making a second APN setting and can easily toggle between the two.

And (after about 4 - 6 more hours constant use) noticed there is not even one heat issue other than that. I can live with keeping it on 3G most of he time, (AT&T 3G here delivers a consistant 4-6 MBPS on 3G) if DO need to turn on 4G for a speedy quick d/l of a file, i'll just hold it with an "oven mitt" during the download...lol

BTC

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Good info thanks! I wonder what is going on with the lag. I have seen it in too many posts/reviews for it to be a coincidence.

I hope they get that figured out.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The phone does lag which is pretty ridiculous. I'm expecting some custom Roms like clean rom will help or fix that. It is noticeable to anyone but especially noticeable to iPhone users. I'm using an AT&T version right now until I get a Verizon version through work. Touchwiz is seriously in your face these days in an obnoxious way but fortunately you can turn alot of it off. Keep an eye on the XDA forums for improvements to the lag.

When i called AT&T this am and he was like, yeah, we got 'em, i was like, "whaaaaa? That was wayyyyy tooo easy,i'll prolly hate the phone.... " Um, noooooooooo, i sure don't "hate it"! Spent approx 30 seconds with it before i was like, "wrap it up, i'll take it!"....

First off, i thought i was "soooo over WHITE phones" and would get the black one... Well, the black one was so bland, and because of the dots, it didn't really look black, more like a greyish/bronze shade, PLUS fingerprints showed BIG TIME. The white was much cleaner and sharper looking and has a kinda bright white pearly hue, so i got the white one : ) Am loving the color decision i made.

i will say i have been putting it thru its paces and i have found ONLY 2 niggles. (And i been a-lookin'...lol)

The phone gets HOT, and i don't mean just warm... and i wasn't really doing a thing.... it was driving me crazy, so i researched how to turn off LTE since there's no toggle for it to see if thats the reason (where i am LTE is spotty) and i found an article that showed how to set up an AT&T APN that used 3G signal ONLY so i have done that and i think its making a world of diff where heat is concerned, however, not sure how i feel about only 4MBPS vs the 13-16 with it on... I was able to save BOTH and can switch my APN's when i need/want 4G so we'll see how that goes...)

2nd blip is the phone stutters. Not the super smooth experience Jellybean initially delivered, but the stutters are very very slight, only during some actions, but hard core Androidians will notice, regular folks will not, for me, i THINK i can live with it, as this phone is perfect asides from those TWO things....

There is NOT even one area that they did NOT improve, it is an upgrade on every single front and i don't care who disagrees : ) But before you do, plz keep this in mind: Its one thing to observe it from your easy chair watching a review or even toy with it for a couple of seconds when its on that funky spiral lock thingey @ the store, but its a wholeeeeeeeeeee 'nother thing to go hands on it with it, personalizing it, using the buttons, the camera, experiencing the ease of how it performs each function, the feel of it, the crispness of it, the sound of it, the design of it, ETC ETC ETC!!!

I didn't want to sound like a Sammy Girl but what the h*ll?! i yam!
:-*

(Sorry, i know i already posted my screenshot BUT not everyone reads that sticky and this lockscreen ROCKS!)

BTC

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/BTCsPhotos/screenshotBTC-2_zps3f3a266f.png

- - - Updated - - -

Combination of larded on Touchwiz and a very high res screen.

Good info thanks! I wonder what is going on with the lag. I have seen it in too many posts to be a coincidence.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

I hate hate hate the animation stutter. That system tray stutters all the time...grr.

Do you have any issues with the screen taking a few seconds to turn on after pressing the power button? (This was an issue on the Note 2)

What did you have before?

Good info thanks! I wonder what is going on with the lag. I have seen it in too many posts to be a coincidence.

They won't. The animation stutters are present in the GS & N2...nothing new. :(

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I hate hate hate the animation stutter. That system tray stutters all the time...grr.

Do you have any issues with the screen taking a few seconds to turn on after pressing the power button? (This was an issue on the Note 2)

Yeah we had this discussion before. You were slamming the Note 2 in favor of your Razr Maxx...how did that work out? If it is the same as the lag that you describe in the Note 2, I can live with it. I never saw that described as much in posts and reviews with the Note 2 as opposed as the S4. I will hold out a while longer to hear more about it. Maybe expectations are so high with the S4 that people are being more critical. I have seen the HTC One in the store, I guess I will have to go check out the S4 in person.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Customizing your phone really does the trick! It bothers me sometimes when people keep the stock look and complain about it.

Great post! Show some more screens as well if you've done a bit of customizing!

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey BTC and others...

Just go to developer option in the settings and turn down "transition animation scale" to .5 or 0 and say goodbye to any stuttering. Leave window setting at 1 if you want the screen off animation, or 0 if you don't want it.

Don't play with anything else or I'm not reasonable for any problems.

Enjoy

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Good info thanks! I wonder what is going on with the lag. I have seen it in too many posts/reviews for it to be a coincidence.

Sent from my Nexus 4

It's TouchWiz. TW is the only OS that can make a quadcore clocked above 1.5 ghz lag. Unreal. The user should not have to turn off or reduce animations to cure it; it should not be evident regardless.

But alas, it is what it is. :-\

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey BTC and others...

Just go to developer option in the settings and turn down "transition animation scale" to .5 or 0 and say goodbye to any stuttering. Leave window setting at 1 if you want the screen off animation, or 0 if you don't want it.

Don't play with anything else or I'm not reasonable for any problems.

Enjoy

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Agree strongly with this! Setting the transition animation scale to .5 is one of the first things I do. S4 is pretty smooth with this setting.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by planoman Good info thanks! I wonder what is going on with the lag. I have seen it in too many posts to be a coincidence.

Do you have any issues with the screen taking a few seconds to turn on after pressing the power button? (This was an issue on the Note

Agree strongly with this! Setting the transition animation scale to .5 is one of the first things I do. S4 is pretty smooth with this setting.

I changed that setting as well and not sure if its better (seems so but truly does not matter : )

i really am not going to focus on the ONE teeny tiney aspect that occasionally occurs. The ONLy reason i even cited the TWO niggles at the start of my post was NOT to complain but to point out that those two things DO occur, and if you are the sort of person to look for perfection in a phone, the SGS4 might not suit you.

Quite frankly, a year ago we were praying for a phone as capable, high res, fast, gorgeous, priced right, high RAM, amazing camera, most current Android O/S, etc etc etc, and i FOR ONE am happy as all get out my prayers were answered... A hiccup every now and again could NEVER hinder the experience when using this phone. I also might add that i have moved almost 60 apps to this phone, and NOT one force close or problem running even ONE of them... ohhhh yeah! :cool:

BTC

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
http://cdn-forums.androidcentral.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by planoman [url]http://cdn-forums.androidcentral.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png[/URL] Good info thanks! I wonder what is going on with the lag. I have seen it in too many posts to be a coincidence.

I changed that setting as well and not sure if its better (seems so but truly does not matter : )

i really am not going to focus on the ONE teeny tiney aspect that occasionally occurs. The ONLy reason i even cited the TWO niggles at the start of my post was NOT to complain but to point out that those two things DO occur, and if you are the sort of person to look for perfection in a phone, the SGS4 might not suit you.

Quite frankly, a year ago we were praying for a phone as capable, high res, fast, gorgeous, priced right, high RAM, amazing camera, most current Android O/S, etc etc etc, and i FOR ONE am happy as all get out my prayers were answered... A hiccup every now and again could NEVER hinder the experience when using this phone. I also might add that i have moved almost 60 apps to this phone, and NOT one force close or problem running even ONE of them... ohhhh yeah! :cool:

BTC

Thanks, I appreciate that. My issue is that I am perfectly happy with my Note 2 and Nexus 4 at the moment and I usually want the newest thing. I usually buy them without regard for contact pricing. I did not honestly know when my next upgrade was so I entered *new# in my dialer for ATT and see that I have a full upgrade in early June. That along with the $639.99 no commitment pricing versus $549.99 I paid for the S3 has me holding off even though I paid $649.99 for the Note 2. If I were going to pay $639.99 for a phone I want and not really need, I want NO issues...I guess for $199.99 I could live with it! LOL! Guess I will make a decision in June! Maybe I will get a Note 8.0 to hold me over in the meantime!

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, I appreciate that. My issue is that I am perfectly happy with my Note 2 and Nexus 4 at the moment and I usually want the newest thing. I usually buy them without regard for contact pricing. I did not honestly know when my next upgrade was so I entered *new# in my dialer for ATT and see that I have a full upgrade in early June. That along with the $639.99 no commitment pricing versus $549.99 I paid for the S3 has me holding off even though I paid $649.99 for the Note 2. If I were going to pay $639.99 for a phone I want and not really need, I want NO issues...I guess for $199.99 I could live with it! LOL! Guess I will make a decision in June! Maybe I will get a Note 8.0 to hold me over in the meantime!

i had the Note 2 for 3 mos and just couldn't "relax" with that phone. Everytime i picked it up i had to make sure i was doing NOTHING else, it felt big even after 3 mos and very slippery. I wound up selling it on Amazon at only a $50.00 loss, told myself i rented it for $17.00 a month, not bad at all...lol

As for the Note 8.0, i went and got that a few weeks ago thinking it might help tide me over till GS4 was readily available. It was a nice tablet, but truthfully the res is just too low, my Samsung 7.0 plus was pretty close in (169 vs 183) PPI, and also my tab was just as fast (rooted/running ics) with its 1.2 ghz exynos, Note 8.0 performance didn't blow me away enuf to pay the $399.00 to replace my "perfectly working 7.0 Plus Sammy Tablet, but if you aren't stepping up from an existing tablet that's working well, i def think its nice.

And as for wanting a "100% perfect phone for your hard earned money", i get that, but i don't think it will ever exist, just too many variables, too many apps, too any changes constantly evolving, they'll always be some annoyance, even if you pay TOP DOLLAR...

What i will say about the SGS 4 is that from build quality, (you can inspect it from head to toe with a magnifying glass, not one crick or flaw, gap - can't say that about you-know-who : ) to features, to price, to hardware to software to overall design, this is Samsung's BEST device yet, and i haven't found even one compromise i've had to make!!

BTC

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It's TouchWiz. TW is the only OS that can make a quadcore clocked above 1.5 ghz lag. Unreal. The user should not have to turn off or reduce animations to cure it; it should not be evident regardless.

With a name like Touch Wiz what can you expect? :-$

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

It's not about the CPU. Do you own an S4? Because I think that's the most amusing part of most of the comments here. So many of you are making these assessments and have either never used the S4 or played with it for 20 minutes at the store.

Some of the animations can occasionally feel janky. Say it ain't so. I haven't experienced that on the S4, but I'm not surprised to hear some might be. I'm sure Samsung is aware of it and intends to fix it, but in the interim if you're having the issue you can fix it in 30 seconds with no drawbacks.

Those that continue to harp on this and then form the opinion that the S4 is slow are more than welcome to feel that way. You're wrong, but by all means.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I hope Sammy can fix the stuttering lag, I mean a high-end phone shouldn't have to have everything disabled to function properly! Especially at 250 dollars a pop!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
This was the same issue on the S3 and once jellybean came it remedied a lot of the problems. Don't expect Samsung to fix these issues that soon. I agree that one shouldn't have to go into developer options to remedy something that should be right out of the box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown