EIGHT HOURS Of Constant use, here are my findings : ))

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
There is no question that the HTC One and iPhone 5 run smoother. Less noticeable lag or stutter or whatever you want to call it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey BTC and others...

Just go to developer option in the settings and turn down "transition animation scale" to .5 or 0 and say goodbye to any stuttering. Leave window setting at 1 if you want the screen off animation, or 0 if you don't want it.

Don't play with anything else or I'm not reasonable for any problems.

Enjoy

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Should be stickied.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's not about the CPU. Do you own an S4? Because I think that's the most amusing part of most of the comments here. So many of you are making these assessments and have either never used the S4 or played with it for 20 minutes at the store.

Some of the animations can occasionally feel janky. Say it ain't so. I haven't experienced that on the S4, but I'm not surprised to hear some might be. I'm sure Samsung is aware of it and intends to fix it, but in the interim if you're having the issue you can fix it in 30 seconds with no drawbacks.

Those that continue to harp on this and then form the opinion that the S4 is slow are more than welcome to feel that way. You're wrong, but by all means.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

They're harping on it because it has been an issue in EVERY reputable review of the device, along with hands on reports from members here. They are not wrong. If a phone lags, for example whatever reason, it is an indication that the processor cannot keep up with the software.

Users shouldn't HAVE to disable or speed up animations in order to get the same experience you can get out of the box with other handsets. It doesn't matter what the reason for it is, what matters is that it IS an issue and it IS something Samsung will have to take care of.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
They're harping on it because it has been an issue in EVERY reputable review of the device, along with hands on reports from members here.

Users shouldn't HAVE to disable or speed up animations I'm order to get the same experience you can get out of the box with other handsets. It doesn't matter what the reason for it is, what matters is that it IS an issue and it IS something Samsung will have to take care of.

How do you know without using the device? People who haven't even used the device are making this out to be some massive deal like the S4 is significantly slower across the board than other devices. It isn't. Does it need to be fixed? Sure. What I'm saying is that in the interim, there's a way to fix it if for whatever reason it bugs you. Its not like the entire UI is slow and moves at a snails pace. Theres a few animations that can be janky. Occasionally. Meaning not all the time.

No device is perfect. The vaunted HTC One has a plethora of issues that can't be fixed in 30 seconds in the settings menu. Again, its fine to point it out and want it fixed, but like every other thing about the S4, its being blown out of proportion by people who haven't even used the device.

Although this didn't play into my decision to exchange the One for this S4, I absolutely love how polarizing this phone is. So many people trying to give it less credit than it deserves, talking negatively about it, etc. Unfortunately, it'll still be the hottest selling and most talked about Android device of the year.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
How do you know without using the device? People who haven't even used the device are making this out to be some massive deal like the S4 is significantly slower across the board than other devices. It isn't. Does it need to be fixed? Sure. What I'm saying is that in the interim, there's a way to fix it if for whatever reason it bugs you. Its not like the entire UI is slow and moves at a snails pace. Theres a few animations that can be janky. Occasionally. Meaning not all the time.

No device is perfect. The vaunted HTC One has a plethora of issues that can't be fixed in 30 seconds in the settings menu. Again, its fine to point it out and want it fixed, but like every other thing about the S4, its being blown out of proportion by people who haven't even used the device.

Although this didn't play into my decision to exchange the One for this S4, I absolutely love how polarizing this phone is. So many people trying to give it less credit than it deserves, talking negatively about it, etc. Unfortunately, it'll still be the hottest selling and most talked about Android device of the year.

I just spent 30 minutes at my local sprint store using it. It lags just like the S3 did, which is inexcusable.

It is not blowing it out of proportion that Samsung failed to optimize the software to such an extent that it is being manifested in stutter and lag. Especially considering that their last flagship had the exact same issues.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I just spent 30 minutes at my local sprint store using it. It lags just like the S3 did, which is inexcusable.

It is not blowing it out of proportion that Samsung failed to optimize the software to such an extent that it is being manifested in stutter and lag. Especially considering that their last flagship had the exact same issues.

A whole 30 minutes? Not surprising to see you've got the HTC One, too. Is it excusable that many people, myself included, had horrific responsiveness in the capacitive keys? Or that the screen actually stuck out from the speaker grill enough that when I dragged down the notification shade my finger would rub against it? I get it, man; you like the One and want it to be the best. Each phone has their drawbacks right now. Let's not pretend there's a perfect phone out there.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
They have had years to sorry out the stuttering and haven't so don't hold your breath. Having said that, its only occasional and its no biggie. Its a great phone, enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Drov

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

This actually helps me out a lot. I was worried about these lag claims but I am not too worried anymore. I had bought an S3 when it was first released on Verizon and I was extremely happy with the device. So if that was terrible lag, I will love the S4. Also I love how the majority of these claims are "sent from my HTC One". If you were actually happy with your Ones and not at least a little jealous you all wouldn't be over here trolling and bashing the S4.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
A whole 30 minutes? Not surprising to see you've got the HTC One, too. Is it excusable that many people, myself included, had horrific responsiveness in the capacitive keys? Or that the screen actually stuck out from the speaker grill enough that when I dragged down the notification shade my finger would rub against it? I get it, man; you like the One and want it to be the best. Each phone has their drawbacks right now. Let's not pretend there's a perfect phone out there.

Yes 30 minutes. That was all it took to make it immediately apparent how poorly written Samsungs software is.

The One's issues aren't excusable either. But, it has also been proven that capacitive key issues are related to using a screen protector, something that I have personally verified.

I have no horse in this race. I will choose whatever device suits me best. When T-mobile gets their S4 I will spend some time with it, and see if I would prefer it over the One. Based on my time with Sprints version I'm not optimistic, but I will still give it a chance.

Also, why are you so blindly defending the S4? Its software issues are an issue. You need to acknowledge that instead of reverting to the troll position of 'But...but...the One!'

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
They're harping on it because it has been an issue in EVERY reputable review of the device, along with hands on reports from members here. They are not wrong. If a phone lags, for example whatever reason, it is an indication that the processor cannot keep up with the software.

Users shouldn't HAVE to disable or speed up animations in order to get the same experience you can get out of the box with other handsets. It doesn't matter what the reason for it is, what matters is that it IS an issue and it IS something Samsung will have to take care of.

That is not at all correct... There are so many more factors involved in animation stuttering I dont have the time to go into it here. Not to discount it happening for some people, but lets be factual here.

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
This actually helps me out a lot. I was worried about these lag claims but I am not too worried anymore. I had bought an S3 when it was first released on Verizon and I was extremely happy with the device. So if that was terrible lag, I will love the S4. Also I love how the majority of these claims are "sent from my HTC One". If you were actually happy with your Ones and not at least a little jealous you all wouldn't be over here trolling and bashing the S4.

SPOT ON!

I do not understand why all of these One owners are trolling the S4 section, unless for not other reason than buyers remorse/jealousy... Or they are just so bent out of shape that they have to come take out their frustrations on others.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes 30 minutes. That was all it took to make it immediately apparent how poorly written Samsungs software is.

The One's issues aren't excusable either. But, it has also been proven that capacitive key issues are related to using a screen protector, something that I have personally verified.

I have no horse in this race. I will choose whatever device suits me best. When T-mobile gets their S4 I will spend some time with it, and see if I would prefer it over the One. Based on my time with Sprints version I'm not optimistic, but I will still give it a chance.

Also, why are you so blindly defending the S4? Its software issues are an issue. You need to acknowledge that instead of reverting to the troll position of 'But...but...the One!'

I just acknowledged this in the post above. I've acknowledged it the whole time. I'm sorry that I'm not outraged because its not that big of a deal and its user fixable. Also I haven't had any real stutter on my device and haven't had to do anything.

I don't use screen protectors. My One did it anyways. I'm guessing using a screen protector would have been even worse.

Unlike you, I've owned both devices. I'm not blindly defending anything at all. I'm just not going to make a huge deal out of something just because people who don't even own the device and own the One think its the worst thing in the world. The One is a great phone and you should be very happy with it, but my guess is you'll only be happy with it if people unanimously crown it the best phone in the world. I picked my horse in this race, but I also acknowledge its issues and and that the One is a better choice for some users.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That is not at all correct... There are so many more factors involved in animation stuttering I dont have the time to go into it here. Not to discount it happening for some people, but lets be factual here.

We are being factual. Its been an issue in every review, and was also experienced on the S3. The only constant between them is Samsungs crappy software.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I just acknowledged this in the post above. I've acknowledged it the whole time. I'm sorry that I'm not outraged because its not that big of a deal and its user fixable. Also I haven't had any real stutter on my device and haven't had to do anything.

I don't use screen protectors. My One did it anyways. I'm guessing using a screen protector would have been even worse.

Unlike you, I've owned both devices. I'm not blindly defending anything at all. I'm just not going to make a huge deal out of something just because people who don't even own the device and own the One think its the worst thing in the world. The One is a great phone and you should be very happy with it, but my guess is you'll only be happy with it if people unanimously crown it the best phone in the world. I picked my horse in this race, but I also acknowledge its issues and and that the One is a better choice for some users.

Actually read what others post before you respond. I like the One, but I will be giving the S4 a chance once I can actually buy one from my carrier.

You are attempting to say that the S4s lag is not an issue; it is. Just like any capacitive button issues on the One or so on. Anyone that claims otherwise is not being honest in the discussion.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There may be some HTC One owners here but I am not one of them. I have owned The Captivate, SII, SII Skyrocket, S3, OG Note, Note 2 all on ATT. I guess I am a Samsung fanboy...I thought we were getting close to perfection with the Note 2 with quad core versus the UI etc and lag. I am just disappointed there MAY still be some present like many reviews and posts suggest. I viewed several you tube videos comparing the S4 to the Note 2 and I was pretty impressed how the Note 2 stacks up. I will hold with my Note 2 for a while to see how updates progress on the S4 or maybe even the 32GB since my upgrade is the first week of June. Although I must say if it is the same or less than my Note 2 or even the S3 that I had, it will be fine for me.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually read what others post before you respond. I like the One, but I will be giving the S4 a chance once I can actually buy one from my carrier.

You are attempting to say that the S4s lag is not an issue; it is. Just like any capacitive button issues on the One or so on. Anyone that claims otherwise is not being honest in the discussion.

One more time; it's an issue. You're just going to keep going until I start hating my own phone, huh? You're right, JHBThree. Its so awful. Please, tell me more about my phone that you've had a half hour with at a Sprint store.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
ty! Truthfully, i ONLY noticed the stuttering when i FIRST was setting everything up. Its still there but so many great things going on with the phone (and it does FLY most of the time) its not even something i think about : )

lol, no, its def the LTE radio heating up, but like i said i disabled it by making a second APN setting and can easily toggle between the two.

And (after about 4 - 6 more hours constant use) noticed there is not even one heat issue other than that. I can live with keeping it on 3G most of he time, (AT&T 3G here delivers a consistant 4-6 MBPS on 3G) if DO need to turn on 4G for a speedy quick d/l of a file, i'll just hold it with an "oven mitt" during the download...lol

BTC

Oven mitt....:D

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
One more time; it's an issue. You're just going to keep going until I start hating my own phone, huh? You're right, JHBThree. Its so awful. Please, tell me more about my phone that you've had a half hour with at a Sprint store.

Sounds like you have your own issues. (or just haven't been paying any attention at all) As I've said, the lag is an issue, but it doesn't ruin the S4. It IS curious, however, that Samsung still doesn't know how to write software that isn't garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon