Stuttering performance?

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Not really... I have everything off because I don't really need it, this is a thing of what you need and don't need. If you dont need it why have it ON?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

You are right.... I don't see myself using the feature much. But I guess it just bothers me? lol..... I know I'm stupid. haha.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Haha. I do have both phones, but I promise this is a legitimate question. I am trying to figure out if it is a simple fix, or an isolated issue, or if people see the stuttering on many S4 devices. Plus, I sell both phones and I wanna be able to be informed about them. :)

- - - Updated - - -

It changes the speed and number of frames for the system animations. By making them faster, they tax the system less.

There's no need to be a jackass. It was a legitimate question.

Here is the part I don't understand that maybe I can be cleared up on:

If I turn it to 0.5x or OFF, doesn't that mean that I am slowing down the framerate?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

If I turn it to 0.5x or OFF, doesn't that mean that I am slowing down the framerate?

If my understanding is correct yes, but because performance hit is nowhere gone it's basically a wash. Jerry will correct me if I'm wrong. Lol

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Haha. I do have both phones, but I promise this is a legitimate question. I am trying to figure out if it is a simple fix, or an isolated issue, or if people see the stuttering on many S4 devices. Plus, I sell both phones and I wanna be able to be informed about them. :)

- - - Updated - - -

0.5x = half the number of frames = animation is twice as fast per loop (if it looped). The animations are only put there so your phone does something while waiting .5 seconds to open an app. It's a trick on your eyes so you don't see dead time.

Edit: It seems to be the animations that are slightly laggy. Doing away with them makes it more choppy in theory, but for the tiny amount of time we get to see them you don;t notice

Edit 2: I just realized it makes more sense if you know how the animations are done. It's not like a gif where each frame is a separate image. It's an XML file that tells the system where to draw the shape that's being animated (in our case a rectangle), the path to move it along, and the number of times to redraw it to fake movement. The number of redraws is what gets cut. Set at 1x, lets' say it draws that rectangle 2500 times, just a few pixels apart each time. Setting it at 0.5x means it draws it 1250 times, twice as many pixels apart. We don;t see this as choppy because it takes only a fraction of a second before it's complete and our eyes can't catch the jump. It just looks super fast and uses half the resources to be drawn.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
0.5x = half the number of frames = animation is twice as fast per loop (if it looped). The animations are only put there so your phone does something while waiting .5 seconds to open an app. It's a trick on your eyes so you don't see dead time.

Edit: It seems to be the animations that are slightly laggy. Doing away with them makes it more choppy in theory, but for the tiny amount of time we get to see them you don;t notice

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation!

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Edit: what Jerry said!

Sent from my SCH-I605

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367116435299.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367116435299.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 61

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

Edit 2: I just realized it makes more sense if you know how the animations are done. It's not like a gif where each frame is a separate image. It's an XML file that tells the system where to draw the shape that's being animated (in our case a rectangle), the path to move it along, and the number of times to redraw it to fake movement. The number of redraws is what gets cut. Set at 1x, lets' say it draws that rectangle 2500 times, just a few pixels apart each time. Setting it at 0.5x means it draws it 1250 times, twice as many pixels apart. We don;t see this as choppy because it takes only a fraction of a second before it's complete and our eyes can't catch the jump. It just looks super fast and uses half the resources to be drawn.

Explained very well

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
What's terrible is that the average user doesn't know this, may have performance issues, and will return the phone because of it. :-(

rs7jr

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Changing transitions in the dev options is just a crutch. Not a real fix. It just makes lag half as likely to be seen since it cuts the frames in half. Whatever problem in the background that causes the lag in the first place will still be there. The stuttering that some are experiencing cannot actually be fixed by this setting. It's most likely an app or certain launcher that's causing it since others are reporting having good performance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair