Stuttering performance?

RG129

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Minor stuttering when I first turned it on. Installed Nova, disabled the S-Voice home button shortcut, and disabled all the air gestures...and now this thing is smoooooth.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Been playing around with a Galaxy S 4 for the last two days and I have noticed stuttering performance, as well as slow main screen load times for widgets on my unit. I just want to know if anyone else has had these issues?

Mine was pretty slow yesterday until I noticed that I hadn't formatted the microsd card and the S4 was indexing 28 gb of music and videos. Now it's smooth as butter.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
We shouldn't have to tinker with anything out of the box. It should be lag free. The air gestures are pretty big selling point of the phone, so why disable it?

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It changes the speed and number of frames for the system animations. By making them faster, they tax the system less.

There's no need to be a jackass. It was a legitimate question.

I know this is gonna be a stupid question that you can either easily answer me or maybe point me in the right direction - what is the difference in Window animation, Transition animation, and Animation duration. I have played with those settings and I was pretty happy with:

Window animation set to 0.5x, Transition animation set to off and Animation duration set to off
and also
Window animation set to off, Transition animation set to 0.5x and Animation duration set to off

Is one geared more for moving/swiping thru home screens? They both feel, look smooth with either of those settings above and was just wondering for my purpose, which is the more correct method, or do all three need to be set at 0.5x for best smooth performance? - using my two above settings and changing either of the 0.5x to "off" makes swiping thru my home screen stutter a little. So I believe I am on the right track.

Just curious if you have the time to answer. Thanks!

Edit 1: I think I found my answer - no need to answer - need to play a little more :-[

Edit 2: Best speed setting for me so far is: Window animation set to 0.5x, Transition animation set to 0.5x and Animation duration set to off :cool:

Last edited:

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Been playing around with a Galaxy S 4 for the last two days and I have noticed stuttering performance, as well as slow main screen load times for widgets on my unit. I just want to know if anyone else has had these issues?

I have also noticed the lag

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well it looks like it is a pretty wide spread issue. However, it also looks like a quick fix is to either:

1: change the animation times AND/OR
2: Disable air view.

I will try changing animations for a bit since most people wouldn't even notice the difference. However, if you disable air view, you are disabling a very heavily marketed feature of the device. People will notice. I will try that second to see if it works at all.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Well it looks like it is a pretty wide spread issue. However, it also looks like a quick fix is to either:

1: change the animation times AND/OR
2: Disable air view.

I will try changing animations for a bit since most people wouldn't even notice the difference. However, if you disable air view, you are disabling a very heavily marketed feature of the device. People will notice. I will try that second to see if it works at all.

I went with #2. Hopefully that will help. Thanks

Mwl522

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Same issue with stuttering here. Disabling s voice on double press of the home key in combo with changing the animation times fixed it for me. I have air view active, and it's still working fine.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't own one but have been following the forums here and at xda. It seems to be a pretty common problem people are experiencing which isn't good. I hope Samsung addresses it or pushes an update. It definitely sounds like a real problem. There should literally be near to no lag on this phone. I want to get one, and still will, when they announce the 32gb option but I hope they can sort this out. I've played with the note two for a while and I did not notice any lag on that. Is the more two shipping with 4.2.2 as well or only 4.1? Perhaps it's the Android version not working as smoothly with touchwiz.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't own one but have been following the forums here and at xda. It seems to be a pretty common problem people are experiencing which isn't good. I hope Samsung addresses it or pushes an update. It definitely sounds like a real problem. There should literally be near to no lag on this phone

Agreed.

What surprises me most is that the s4 is considerably slower than the Note 2. I'm not talking about benchmarks here. If I hold the two next to each other, the apps load faster on the N2, everything's more fluid. I just hope Samsung hasn't pulled another S2 here - remember how that one lagged like crazy due to cheap memory chips? Took Samsung 6 months to find a software workaround for the s2

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I know this is gonna be a stupid question that you can either easily answer me or maybe point me in the right direction - what is the difference in Window animation, Transition animation, and Animation duration. I have played with those settings and I was pretty happy with:

Window animation set to 0.5x, Transition animation set to off and Animation duration set to off
and also
Window animation set to off, Transition animation set to 0.5x and Animation duration set to off

Is one geared more for moving/swiping thru home screens? They both feel, look smooth with either of those settings above and was just wondering for my purpose, which is the more correct method, or do all three need to be set at 0.5x for best smooth performance? - using my two above settings and changing either of the 0.5x to "off" makes swiping thru my home screen stutter a little. So I believe I am on the right track.

Just curious if you have the time to answer. Thanks!

Edit 1: I think I found my answer - no need to answer - need to play a little more :-[

Edit 2: Best speed setting for me so far is: Window animation set to 0.5x, Transition animation set to 0.5x and Animation duration set to off :cool:
Just setup s3 to those settings, my phone is the smoothest it's ever been. I've had it for almost a year.

No need for an s4 now.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC