05-05-2013 12:33 AM
53 123
tools
    Hi,

Been playing around with a Galaxy S 4 for the last two days and I have noticed stuttering performance, as well as slow main screen load times for widgets on my unit. I just want to know if anyone else has had these issues?
    TomsAndroid and Etios like this.
    04-27-2013 07:33 PM
    Hi,

Been playing around with a Galaxy S 4 for the last two days and I have noticed stuttering performance, as well as slow main screen load times for widgets on my unit. I just want to know if anyone else has had these issues?
    Just to have more information.... do you have air gesture enabled?
    04-27-2013 07:37 PM
    Nope. ..all good here... standard performance as well as synthetic test are all showing better performance than indicated in the review hardware.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4 on Sprint...and yes, I have LTE so I don't need to hear anyone's **** about how Sprint sucks and there's no LTE
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-27-2013 07:40 PM
    Go to Settings, developer options, transition animation scale, set to 0.5x or off.
    MBM7881, grhodes1, lpt2569 and 3 others like this.
    04-27-2013 07:51 PM
    Go to Settings, developer options, transition animation scale, set to 0.5x or off.
    Was just typing the same thing! Still amazed a lot of people don't know about this.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-27-2013 07:55 PM
    So to get a guaranteed smooth experience you need to change a developer option? Why would anybody that's not a total phone geek know that?

I wonder why some people are reporting lag and others aren't. There has to be something else making it lag. I just wonder what it is.
    04-27-2013 08:01 PM
    So to get a guaranteed smooth experience you need to change a developer option? Why would anybody that's not a total phone geek know that?

I wonder why some people are reporting lag and others aren't. There has to be something else making it lag. I just wonder what it is.
    Yep, pretty odd.....
    04-27-2013 08:02 PM
    My brothers lagged so bad he is taking it back! He also said touchwiz is a bloated mess, and the fake metal plastic band is already separating from the phone!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    04-27-2013 08:17 PM

It is odd that its a developer option I agree. Should be a setting easier to find/readily available and should be set lower out of the box by Samsung. Once set though it typically improves performance enough for an average user to notice.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    Kevin OQuinn and Aquila like this.
    04-27-2013 08:18 PM
    Was just typing the same thing! Still amazed a lot of people don't know about this.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    Please enlighten me.... what does this do exactly? And why would it work? Also.... why is it necessary lol

- - - Updated - - -

Just to have more information.... do you have air gesture enabled?
    Yes. I don't think I should have to turn it off since it is a feature of the phone that is meant to be left on. RIght?
    TomsAndroid and return_0 like this.
    04-27-2013 08:35 PM
    My brothers lagged so bad he is taking it back! He also said touchwiz is a bloated mess, and the fake metal plastic band is already separating from the phone!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    Dude, stop going around and posting this in every single thread that mentions performance.
    04-27-2013 08:44 PM

Sent from my SCH-I605
    What does it do?
    04-27-2013 08:56 PM
    Please enlighten me.... what does this do exactly? And why would it work? Also.... why is it necessary lol
    It's an Android setting that you can google to learn more about it to use on your HTC One.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    clintw22 likes this.
    04-27-2013 09:03 PM
    It's an Android setting that you can google to learn more about it to use on your HTC One.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    You don't need to play with those settings on the One, it doesn't have lag or stutter.
    Etios, TomsAndroid and Seggzy like this.
    04-27-2013 09:13 PM
    No lag or stuttering here.
    04-27-2013 09:13 PM
    What does it do?
    It makes the transition animation speed very quick. If you notice slow response times, it can be because of Touchwiz animations.

This lag or stutter will probably go away after an update. Seems like a Touchwiz UI issue since the phone is snappy in itself.
    04-27-2013 09:14 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I don't think I should have to turn it off since it is a feature of the phone that is meant to be left on. RIght?
    Not really... I have everything off because I don't really need it, this is a thing of what you need and don't need. If you dont need it why have it ON?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    04-27-2013 09:16 PM
    What does it do?
    It changes the speed and number of frames for the system animations. By making them faster, they tax the system less.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    There's no need to be a jackass. It was a legitimate question.
    brianphrack, Seggzy, aggie and 1 others like this.
    04-27-2013 09:16 PM
    You don't need to play with those settings on the One, it doesn't have lag or stutter.
    No. Not in this thread. Take yourself back to the HTC One forums if you can't control yourself.
    04-27-2013 09:18 PM
    Awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    04-27-2013 09:19 PM
    Not really... I have everything off because I don't really need it, this is a thing of what you need and don't need. If you dont need it why have it ON?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Android Central Forums
    You are right.... I don't see myself using the feature much. But I guess it just bothers me? lol..... I know I'm stupid. haha.
    04-27-2013 09:22 PM
    Haha. I do have both phones, but I promise this is a legitimate question. I am trying to figure out if it is a simple fix, or an isolated issue, or if people see the stuttering on many S4 devices. Plus, I sell both phones and I wanna be able to be informed about them. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

It changes the speed and number of frames for the system animations. By making them faster, they tax the system less.

Here is the part I don't understand that maybe I can be cleared up on:

If I turn it to 0.5x or OFF, doesn't that mean that I am slowing down the framerate?
    04-27-2013 09:24 PM

My bad...thought I got suckered into a phony thread.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    04-27-2013 09:29 PM

If I turn it to 0.5x or OFF, doesn't that mean that I am slowing down the framerate?
    If my understanding is correct yes, but because performance hit is nowhere gone it's basically a wash. Jerry will correct me if I'm wrong. Lol
    04-27-2013 09:30 PM
    Haha. I do have both phones, but I promise this is a legitimate question. I am trying to figure out if it is a simple fix, or an isolated issue, or if people see the stuttering on many S4 devices. Plus, I sell both phones and I wanna be able to be informed about them. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

0.5x = half the number of frames = animation is twice as fast per loop (if it looped). The animations are only put there so your phone does something while waiting .5 seconds to open an app. It's a trick on your eyes so you don't see dead time.

Edit: It seems to be the animations that are slightly laggy. Doing away with them makes it more choppy in theory, but for the tiny amount of time we get to see them you don;t notice

Edit 2: I just realized it makes more sense if you know how the animations are done. It's not like a gif where each frame is a separate image. It's an XML file that tells the system where to draw the shape that's being animated (in our case a rectangle), the path to move it along, and the number of times to redraw it to fake movement. The number of redraws is what gets cut. Set at 1x, lets' say it draws that rectangle 2500 times, just a few pixels apart each time. Setting it at 0.5x means it draws it 1250 times, twice as many pixels apart. We don;t see this as choppy because it takes only a fraction of a second before it's complete and our eyes can't catch the jump. It just looks super fast and uses half the resources to be drawn.
    04-27-2013 09:30 PM
53 123