05-09-2013 01:47 AM
115 ... 345
tools
    Ok I took your suggestion. I exported my apple contacts and calendar events and imported them into google. Setup the google accounts on my iphone, macair and its all synced up. One thing I haven't checked is if it does sync both ways no matter what device you put it on it show sup on all the others. Can you add any insight to that?
    I use www.companionlink.com to do this. It costs $40 but it works seamlessly syncing Outlook to my phone. Calendar, tasks, contacts etc. No syncing ever needed.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-07-2013 10:37 PM
    Okay I am brand new to Android coming from an iPhone 4. This thread is awesome and has really helped me understand the S4 better.

I got this phone knowing i had some time to test it out and could simply get the iPhone 5 if I didn't like the Android system. Now I am getting close to the last of my 14-day grace period to be able to return my phone and haven't fully committed myself to this phone and I want to discuss my reasoning to see if there are solutions or answers to the issues I have.

So my main concerns going forward are the following:

1. The general lag of the system. Moving around the home screens and going in and out of apps seems to have a slight "hitch" to it. It's not as fluid as Apple. Is this something typical of Android or is this something that will clear up with updates?
    2. I feel like apps running in the background don't save the state you left them in as well as Apple. For instance I would click the home button while in a game and a short while late, I would return and the game reset. This doesn't always happen but has happened a couple times. Is their system of running apps in the background not as good as Apple?
    3. When typing on the iPhone, you can hold down your finger and move the cursor to where you want it. Is there a feature like that on android?
    4. My phone gets really hot with normal use. Is this typical?

As you can tell, I'm brand new. I really want to love this phone because I'm ready for so,etching different. But honestly some of these things are starting to bother me. I know these are totally "first-world problems". Thanks in advance for any help.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-08-2013 12:45 AM
    I'm also an iPhone to android user. I'm getting used to the s4 but do have a few gripes with it. I missed the auto correct on texting but thanks to this thread I've sorted that (it worked for me to hold down predictive text then select auto correction)

I miss the badges from apple, ie on Facebook notifications, whatsapp messages, yahoo mail etc, I used to get a number in the corner saying how many notifications/messages I had, is there anyway to get this on android? Also is there no way to show a message/missed call etc on the home screen?

I have the S cover for it and I must say I'm disappointed with it. I thought that when the phone was locked and the cover closed and I got a message/email etc the viewing window would light up saying I had a message but it doesn't. Any way to do that?

Thanks
    05-08-2013 04:40 AM
    Okay I am brand new to Android coming from an iPhone 4. This thread is awesome and has really helped me understand the S4 better.

I got this phone knowing i had some time to test it out and could simply get the iPhone 5 if I didn't like the Android system. Now I am getting close to the last of my 14-day grace period to be able to return my phone and haven't fully committed myself to this phone and I want to discuss my reasoning to see if there are solutions or answers to the issues I have.

So my main concerns going forward are the following:

1. The general lag of the system. Moving around the home screens and going in and out of apps seems to have a slight "hitch" to it. It's not as fluid as Apple. Is this something typical of Android or is this something that will clear up with updates?
    2. I feel like apps running in the background don't save the state you left them in as well as Apple. For instance I would click the home button while in a game and a short while late, I would return and the game reset. This doesn't always happen but has happened a couple times. Is their system of running apps in the background not as good as Apple?
    3. When typing on the iPhone, you can hold down your finger and move the cursor to where you want it. Is there a feature like that on android?
    4. My phone gets really hot with normal use. Is this typical?

As you can tell, I'm brand new. I really want to love this phone because I'm ready for so,etching different. But honestly some of these things are starting to bother me. I know these are totally "first-world problems". Thanks in advance for any help.
    1. The Nexus 4 and the HTC One are probably the two most fluid Android phones available. I'm also put-off by the lag on the S4 but this could be fixed in updates or alternate launchers.

2. Someone more informed will give you a better answer but I do know that both OS's use different methods. Android often runs things on the background whereas iOS pauses apps when you switch. I'm surprised with the resetting though as 2GB is plenty of RAM.

3. I never used this heaps on iOS but I'm sure there's an alternate keyboard for Android with this function. I use swype-style typing anyway so I wouldn't need this.

4. Heat is normal. Even the iPhone 5 and iPad heat-up. With the power of these CPU's, it's completely normal.

Tom :-)
    05-08-2013 04:44 AM
    OP here. I went back to the iphone 5. Just couldn't handle the lag. The screen was nice, but I jailbroke my iPhone and now the only downside to iPhone is the screen real estate.
    Dang that stinks bud. Give it some time to get used to but you will never be happier. Plus they just did an ota update and this thing is faster than ever before. Battery lasts five hours screen time and about two days.iPhone could never match that.

Swyped via my Samsung GALAXY S4 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 06:31 AM
    1. The Nexus 4 and the HTC One are probably the two most fluid Android phones available. I'm also put-off by the lag on the S4 but this could be fixed in updates or alternate launchers.

2. Someone more informed will give you a better answer but I do know that both OS's use different methods. Android often runs things on the background whereas iOS pauses apps when you switch. I'm surprised with the resetting though as 2GB is plenty of RAM.
    Tom :-)
    Lag is fixed per yesterday's OTA update.:thumbup:

Swyped via my Samsung GALAXY S4 using Android Central Forums
    TomsAndroid and badbrad17 like this.
    05-08-2013 06:32 AM

I miss the badges from apple, ie on Facebook notifications, whatsapp messages, yahoo mail etc, I used to get a number in the corner saying how many notifications/messages I had, is there anyway to get this on android? Also is there no way to show a message/missed call etc on the home screen?

Thanks
    I moved from being an Iphone person to the S4 just over one week ago. First thing I have found, which took some time to get into my head, is that you can do just about anything on android and there will be an app for it in Google Play (obviously not quite true but its always worth having a look).

So in relation to notification bubbles I downloaded GO Launcher EX and then GO Launcher EX Notifications. Doing this allowed me to change the set up of icons on my screen and get different wallpapers etc but getting the Notification plug in ensured that any emails, sms's etc get the notification bubble (ie the red circle with a number in it ) Might be worth giving it a go?!

I should add that I am not affiliated with GO Lanuncher in any way.. (have posted twice about them tonight - people might think I am on their payroll!)

I am sure there would be other apps in the Google Play store that would do the same thing.

Cheers
    Simon
    badbrad17 and elliebank like this.
    05-08-2013 06:54 AM
    I moved from being an Iphone person to the S4 just over one week ago. First thing I have found, which took some time to get into my head, is that you can do just about anything on android and there will be an app for it in Google Play (obviously not quite true but its always worth having a look).

So in relation to notification bubbles I downloaded GO Launcher EX and then GO Launcher EX Notifications. Doing this allowed me to change the set up of icons on my screen and get different wallpapers etc but getting the Notification plug in ensured that any emails, sms's etc get the notification bubble (ie the red circle with a number in it ) Might be worth giving it a go?!

I should add that I am not affiliated with GO Lanuncher in any way.. (have posted twice about them tonight - people might think I am on their payroll!)

I am sure there would be other apps in the Google Play store that would do the same thing.

Cheers
    Simon
    Good post and suggestion. Launchers are a great option when you want to add custom features and widgets. Nova Launcher also has many of these features and it is much leaner and faster than Go Launcher. But Go has many cool add on apps, so good call. You should also try the Go SMS app. You can change the theme to the iPhone look in the settings. It will be more familiar. Also the SwiftKey keyboard. The light theme is very similar to an iPhone.

elliebank likes this.
    05-08-2013 08:41 AM
    This thread has been really handy, although I can't seem to get that alternate menu for the predictive text to come up with an option for auto-replace. The keyboard is still my main gripe, but I have no intentions of switching back to the iPhone at this point. The JellyBean keyboard seems to do what I want the most, but I think I will try SwiftKey as well. The Swype keyboard is nice but it doesn't seem to work properly for me - the punctuation is the most annoying, as it doesn't work for all the punctuation shown on the keyboard. For regular two-thumb texting, the JellyBean one seems to work better. It's been a huge learning curve, but I think it's starting to settle in a little better.
    05-08-2013 01:39 PM
    At first adjusting is hard. Then you get used to it, comfortable with it. Learn more of the in and outs and advanced stuff. Before you know it it's really hard to go back to ios as it feels so limited. I've heard that from every single person I know who's ever switched from ios.
    TomsAndroid likes this.
    05-08-2013 01:48 PM
    Good for you enjoy your iphone I know I do .I couldn't stand the lag either and some apps takes a bit to load.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    OP here. I went back to the iphone 5. Just couldn't handle the lag. The screen was nice, but I jailbroke my iPhone and now the only downside to iPhone is the screen real estate.
    They fixed the lag with a software update.
    05-08-2013 01:56 PM
    Yeah enjoy the all the problems it has I wouldn't buy a nexus 4 even it cost me 50 bucks poor design and also made by lg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Poor design if you compare it to a sports car IMO. I quite like the design.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    TomsAndroid and badbrad17 like this.
    05-08-2013 10:21 PM
    They fixed the lag with a software update.
    Except that Samsung never released that update in Switzerland :-(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    05-08-2013 11:30 PM
    For those who switched over from iOS and miss the badge notifications (the little number on the app icon that tells you how many notifications the app has received): the paid version of apex launcher now has that.

elliebank likes this.
    05-08-2013 11:32 PM
    For those who switched over from iOS and miss the badge notifications (the little number on the app icon that tells you how many notifications the app has received): the paid version of apex launcher now has that.

The free version of Nova launcher has that I think.

TomsAndroid and elliebank like this.
    05-09-2013 01:47 AM
115 ... 345