Moving over from the Apple system... having a bit of a hard time.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
This is a great thread! I've bookmarked it for sure, it will come in very handy tonight as my S4 is on the truck out for delivery today! Hopefully the day will go by fast so i can go home to play with my new toy. Thanks everyone in here who's posted helpful things for us iOS users switching. The Google Music on the cloud is something i didn't know about and wish i had known earlier so i could have had the music on my Nexus 7!!

Oh well, guess i'll be pretty busy tonight setting up my phone the way i want!

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This is a great thread! I've bookmarked it for sure, it will come in very handy tonight as my S4 is on the truck out for delivery today! Hopefully the day will go by fast so i can go home to play with my new toy. Thanks everyone in here who's posted helpful things for us iOS users switching. The Google Music on the cloud is something i didn't know about and wish i had known earlier so i could have had the music on my Nexus 7!!

Oh well, guess i'll be pretty busy tonight setting up my phone the way i want!
Google music is incredible. And unlike Apple, it's free. One thing I particularly love is the instant playlists. Google creates random ones based on your songs but you can also select any song then go into settings and choose make playlist. Google then searches your library and makes a playlist of 20 songs with a similar style. Super handy if you have a large library and you are in the mood to hear a certain style.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend Dropbox for instant photo uploads. It will upload and have them waiting in a folder on your computer.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok....I'm not rly a super recent Apple user but I was curious about the amount of ppl that recommend dropbox. Does it do something better than G+ instant upload? I've been using it since last year and I'm sittin at work able to view all my photos from the past 6 months without having to install anything and I can download it if I like. I also have them available on my home comp, nephews comp, tablet, other tablet, and my Chromebook.

I'm just curious why most ppl seem to recommend dropbox over whats already installed in the phone? Maybe I'm missing something special about dropbox?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok....I'm not rly a super recent Apple user but I was curious about the amount of ppl that recommend dropbox. Does it do something better than G+ instant upload? I've been using it since last year and I'm sittin at work able to view all my photos from the past 6 months without having to install anything and I can download it if I like. I also have them available on my home comp, nephews comp, tablet, other tablet, and my Chromebook.

I'm just curious why most ppl seem to recommend dropbox over whats already installed in the phone? Maybe I'm missing something special about dropbox?
They are both good. If you have a solution that works for you then that is the best solution. :)

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I prefer dropbox because it'll automatically download my pics to my laptop. Something Google+ doesn't do.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Dropbox is so much more than just photo uploads. It's free online storage. Install it on your computer and it gives you a folder in finder or windows explorer like any other. I store my more important files on it. I use it to move data between computers. I share data with people on it. I store books on it and those then become accessible on any device.

My finance software and family tree software both work directly with files stored on dropbox so it's always safe in the cloud.

I also make use of google drive and skydrive on my devices for additional cloud storage.

Martin Rice

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm yet another iPhone user, have been since the first one, and just switched from my iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S4. (Actually, I switched to the S3 about a month or so ago but when I got it home I saw that the 4 was coming out very soon so I returned the 3 the next day and waited til the 4 was available. Just got it yesterday.)

This thread has been very helpful, especially the part about Google Music. Got my whole iTunes library uploaded in no time at all. That's great.

The problem I'm having now is figuring out how to get rid of the BIG (in size) apps such as Story Album, Samsung Hub, and Flipboard that take up so much room on my home screens and that I'll never use. Could someone please tell me how to delete them and how to delete other apps in the app drawer that I'll never use. Then I can set up my home pages the way I want them.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Martin

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This makes sense...thx. :D

Yeah, this. I still organize my photos on a NAS drive at my house. Having them auto download to my laptop makes it much easier. The photo viewer in the Dropbox app is also quite good. I actually find myself using the Dropbox app over the gallery frequently.

I also have my wife's photos from her phone go to the same instant upload folder on Dropbox. So, we can easily view and share each others pictures (mostly pictures and videos of the kids).

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
On my iPhone I can double click the home button to bring up the music controls and pause/play my music. Is there a way to do this on android?

Bobman

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
On my iPhone I can double click the home button to bring up the music controls and pause/play my music. Is there a way to do this on android?

I use Google Music and the music controls (if a song is playing) are on the lock screen or in the notification drawer.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

For me Dropbox is a MUST as it integrates with 1Password so all passwords I have stored on my Mac I have access to easily once I download Dropbox and 1Password.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Figure this is a good place to ask this question. i've gotten used to being able to hid the keyboard after i send a text message so i can read the whole conversation. Is there a way to do this?

Also trying out SwiftKey the trial version, so far after a few minutes i'm pretty sure i'll be going for the full upgrade as i have plenty of money on my google play account and what's a one time $4 charge for a really nice keyboard!!

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I use SwiftKey too and love it. I bought it because I like it so much. To get your keyboard to go away simply tap your back soft key on the bottom right. You will get so used to having a back key you'll wonder why iPhone didn't have it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I use SwiftKey too and love it. I bought it because I like it so much. To get your keyboard to go away simply tap your back soft key on the bottom right. You will get so used to having a back key you'll wonder why iPhone didn't have it.

Oh geez, hahaha. Thanks!

Yah i'm very much getting used to having other buttons than just the home button. Its taken me awhile to realize that to get to settings for apps you have to use the menu button! I don't hate that by any means and from what i've heard Google is trying to get away from using a menu button but samsung insists on using it, but for me so far, its just getting used to it being there haha.

luketub

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone thanks for help.

The autocorrect on the stock samsung keyboard still hssnt been addressed yet tho. When I long click on Predictive text it brings me to learning options... no auto correct replacement.

Someone on last page asked about getting rid of stugg on home screen; judt hold doen on them and drag to "remove" at the top

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
If you're wanting autocorrect that is closest to iPhone I personally think it's SwiftKey. I played with many when I switched to android this fall. I just don't think the stock autocorrects like iPhone

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Swype keyboard. They practically invented the swiping keyboard stuff. Right now it's $.99 and so far for me it seems to be awesome.

I also 2nd the recommendation of downloading the Google Music app -- it's taken all my music from iTunes and moved it to Google Music -- worked great. I have about 8,000 songs on there and it's awesome to know they're safe and streaming to my phone.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Figure this is a good place to ask this question. i've gotten used to being able to hid the keyboard after i send a text message so i can read the whole conversation. Is there a way to do this?

Also trying out SwiftKey the trial version, so far after a few minutes i'm pretty sure i'll be going for the full upgrade as i have plenty of money on my google play account and what's a one time $4 charge for a really nice keyboard!!
SwiftKey is the best. Kii keyboard is also good. And free.