05-02-2013 01:16 PM
28 12
tools
    Will be much easier as the topics from the many future S4 owners start to post.

Sent From My SPH-L710 VIA Subspace
    guinnkevinr and pwscott like this.
    04-28-2013 01:14 AM
    Read this post...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2731981
    Rooting, Roms & Hacks Sub Thread?
    Distrack and jhill110 like this.
    04-28-2013 04:51 AM
    Even if it was separated by US, UK etc it would be good. Before release date I struggled to find information about UK release etc

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-2013 05:06 AM
    Read this post...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2731981
    Rooting, Roms & Hacks Sub Thread?
    Being an old dos guy my mind just likes it that way. I understand the reasoning but it is what it is (a mess).

As far as search goes... I use it but much like tossing all device threads in one hopper there is still a lot perusing.

No gripe here its just my preference to have carrier subs.

Oh, you won't hear me whining about $10. After discounts I pay less than $80 for unlimited everything but minutes. Since 99% of my calls are mobile to mobile I'll never use up my 450. I average less than 60 minutes a month of usage there.

Anyway, thanks for the link to that thread.
    Yo Sprint! 10 year's in November.

04-28-2013 06:02 AM
    I use the Note 2 forums... and I HATE carrier subforums. 99% of what is posted in a carrier subforum should be posted in the general forum. Lots of good info gets lost on the whole Note 2 community because a post is buried in a carrier subforum that has nothing to do with the specific carrier.
    Distrack and JasW like this.
    04-28-2013 08:41 AM
    Lots of good info gets lost on the whole Note 2 community because a post is buried in a carrier subforum that has nothing to do with the specific carrier.
    That definitely happened with the GNex - all of the action was on the Verizon GNex forum.
    04-28-2013 09:03 AM
    Will be much easier as the topics from the many future S4 owners start to post.

Good point, I did as much research on carrier as I did on which smartphone to get.

From doing my little research, I came up with a T Mobile plan will fit my needs the best.

They have the single line plan for $50 and you and $20 for unlimited data. Now, that is unlimited data on your smartphone, along with a hot spot on your phone, and 500mb for each of the 5 devices allowed on the hotspot. All this for no extra charge. Whereas, the other carriers, right off that bat, they charge extra just for the hotspot option.
    So, my researched turned up the S4 as the phone, and T Mobile as the carrier. If somebody has something better, I like to see it..
    And further research on the phone, has made me wait another couple grueling weeks to get the 32gb S4..
    04-28-2013 10:34 AM
    T Mobile as the carrier. If somebody has something better, I like to see it..
    TMobile is great if you have 4G LTE coverage in your area.
    04-28-2013 11:06 AM
    Respectfully disagree. There comes a point in every forum's evolution when it simply gets TOO diversified, creating duplication of topics, making topics impossible to find, etc. Let's just have a single S4 forum, ok?
    04-28-2013 12:19 PM
    I get as far as how it might look cleaner to have all in one thread, but these devices have different antennas and software on them. When VZW pushes and update do you really want 10's of thousands of people asking in the right thread for details on how to get that update, yet they are on different network/carrier? Also there is different pre-loaded bloatware/carrier software. While phone is similar in the US people from about 10 different carriers will use this forum to find EASY access to information. So while we can go with the "if people word their titles right we will not have issues" as our reasoning, that is more so just an excuse. People are posting on mobile devices and not always from a desktop. Every time I have used this forum when there has been carrier specific forums it was WAY MORE helpful then the current format for the S4.

So while I will continue to come to this thread to get my feedback, information and other various post this format is cluttered and even with a search function I still see the huge benefit from the carrier specific format over this.
    jhill110 and Topgonzo like this.
    04-28-2013 01:22 PM
    How about a single "Carrier Issues" subforum then, where people can post topics about over the air updates, specific carrier features, etc?
    04-28-2013 03:40 PM
    Yea, won't happen. No real reason.
    04-28-2013 03:42 PM
    I agree that each phone should have carrier specific sub forum!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    jhill110 likes this.
    04-28-2013 05:58 PM
    I agree that each phone should have carrier specific sub forum!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    How about a poll on the issue...

CARRIER SUB FORUMS?

YES: X

NO:

04-28-2013 11:34 PM
    From my understanding mods don't normally break up a forum into specific carriers. They usually go by versions of phone. I'm sure one of them will chime in here soon on it.
    04-28-2013 11:56 PM
    I understand the reasons for streamlining the forums,but it will get difficult to find things that are not carrier specific. I don't know, I could just be an old dog not wanting to learn new tricks
    jhill110 likes this.
    04-29-2013 07:26 AM
    I use the Note 2 forums... and I HATE carrier subforums. 99% of what is posted in a carrier subforum should be posted in the general forum. Lots of good info gets lost on the whole Note 2 community because a post is buried in a carrier subforum that has nothing to do with the specific carrier.
    This. The problem of general posts in the carrier-specific subforums for the Note 2 forum vastly outweighs the supposed problem of having to deal with carrier-specific posts in one general device forum.
    04-29-2013 07:31 AM
    There are some distinct differences that crop up at times between carriers. Verizon LOVES to mess with the GPS(to the point where it gets broken on every third phone that gets released it seems). AT&T doesn't release updates quickly, and things of that nature. For those with unlocked devices that don't run into problems introduced by carriers, I am sure you would LOVE to avoid seeing a ton of posts complaining about carrier specific issues. That is the primary reason why carrier specific forums or sub-forums can come in handy. Sure, there are many things that SHOULD be general, but also, you have the type of "I am on such and such a carrier, what have you heard about the release?" questions, and those WILL flood the S4 forum in the next month or two once Samsung releases the KLP or 4.3 firmware.
    jhill110 likes this.
    04-29-2013 07:37 AM
    See the post above yours....

The things you list below make up about 1-5% of the carrier subforums... the rest and vast majority ... are posts that belong in the general Note 2 forum. People are not using the carrier specific forums as they are intended.

There are some distinct differences that crop up at times between carriers. Verizon LOVES to mess with the GPS(to the point where it gets broken on every third phone that gets released it seems). AT&T doesn't release updates quickly, and things of that nature. For those with unlocked devices that don't run into problems introduced by carriers, I am sure you would LOVE to avoid seeing a ton of posts complaining about carrier specific issues. That is the primary reason why carrier specific forums or sub-forums can come in handy. Sure, there are many things that SHOULD be general, but also, you have the type of "I am on such and such a carrier, what have you heard about the release?" questions, and those WILL flood the S4 forum in the next month or two once Samsung releases the KLP or 4.3 firmware.
    04-30-2013 08:13 AM
    I agreee
    04-30-2013 08:34 AM
    Then a better solution is needed, just to make sure that the main forum for a phone does not get flooded with these sorts of posts. Perhaps something different from carrier specific is needed, such as "technical issues", "firmware upgrade issues", and so on, with some clear moderation to get people into the mindset of going to the right place. Basically, I don't want to get flooded out with "when is my carrier getting such and such an update?" type posts. I am just trying to hash this out to TRY helping avoid this issue in the next month.

See the post above yours....

The things you list below make up about 1-5% of the carrier subforums... the rest and vast majority ... are posts that belong in the general Note 2 forum. People are not using the carrier specific forums as they are intended.
    04-30-2013 12:50 PM
    One of the best solutions or attempts at one is getting everyone in the mindset of using good thread titles.

1. List the carrier or region of the device your posting about. Example [SPRINT] Galaxy S4: This device rocks on Sprint!

2. Give your thread titles an extra minute of thought. Afterall its what draws or pulls a person into reading your thread. Also once the search engine spiders crawl around and pick up on your new thread that same title is going to determine how its picked up when you search using any search engine

3. Don't be afraid to change your thread title if its initially wrong or isn't getting the attention you wanted.. The OP can easily change this by editing the original post.

4. Check to make sure there isn't already a thread started on this particular topic your ready to post about... More threads on the same topic, less impact your going to make if everyone is posting in a different thread.

Just some suggestions....
    04-30-2013 01:58 PM
    I have an idea. Why not use a provided prefix system like that which is used in the Market Place Forum? i.e. WTS, WTT etc etc. but instead use the prefixes General, T-Mobile, Sprint, ATT, Verizon?

One of the best solutions or attempts at one is getting everyone in the mindset of using good thread titles.

1. List the carrier or region of the device your posting about. Example [SPRINT] Galaxy S4: This device rocks on Sprint!

2. Give your thread titles an extra minute of thought. Afterall its what draws or pulls a person into reading your thread. Also once the search engine spiders crawl around and pick up on your new thread that same title is going to determine how its picked up when you search using any search engine

3. Don't be afraid to change your thread title if its initially wrong or isn't getting the attention you wanted.. The OP can easily change this by editing the original post.

4. Check to make sure there isn't already a thread started on this particular topic your ready to post about... More threads on the same topic, less impact your going to make if everyone is posting in a different thread.

Just some suggestions....
    04-30-2013 02:08 PM
    That's a good idea, basically what I said by inserting [SPRINT] prefix into your thread titles...

To put it into the forum software might be a bit winded covering all the carriers/regions so nobody is left out...
    04-30-2013 02:15 PM
    Hmm... Sounds like the note 2 community is very different from the Sprint GS3 forum. Everything needed is there and easy to find.

It's interesting that so many N2 people are headed to the SG4.

As far as "good info" getting lost because it's buried in a carrier sub forum... An all in one forum is a MUCH deeper pond (all searches being equal?).

I'd like to see a Sprint sub but I don't think the ruling class is going to alow it.

Just my 10 cents.

04-30-2013 02:36 PM
28 12