Hello everyone,

New to Android. Does anyone have any idea why the "Favorite apps or Camera" option is grayed out on my Samsung S4?

Please see attached and thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Favorite apps or Camera grayed out-2013-04-28-10.46.36.jpg  
    04-28-2013 10:55 AM
    Hello everyone,

New to Android. Does anyone have any idea why the "Favorite apps or Camera" option is grayed out on my Samsung S4?

Please see attached and thanks in advance.
    On the screen before that, make sure multiple widgets is checked
    04-28-2013 11:03 AM
    Hey, thanks, but I don't see that in the screen prior to that. This is what I see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qenyr0l8sx...2012.14.38.png

Would you be able to take a screenshot?
    04-28-2013 12:21 PM
    Hey, thanks, but I don't see that in the screen prior to that. This is what I see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qenyr0l8sx...2012.14.38.png

Would you be able to take a screenshot?
    I just went to settings, my device then like lock screen. Which carrier do you have? This is on AT&T

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Favorite apps or Camera grayed out-uploadfromtaptalk1367172417292.jpg  
    04-28-2013 01:08 PM
    Go to screen before that and enable multiple widgets.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums
    04-28-2013 01:14 PM
    Hmm, It's not there for me for some strange reason. I'm on Digicel. It's a Jamaican company. Any theories why?
    04-28-2013 06:42 PM
    Here's the reason why: because on stock Android you can have lock screen widgets when using a passcode or other security unlock feature. With Touchwiz, for some reason you can only use lockscreen widgets with NO security feature. I'll bet anything the users above giving you that advice do not have a security feature to unlock their phones, but just the simple swipe.

Not sure if Samsung did this intentionally, or if this will be patched in a future update. It's annoying to say the least. Basically, if you want to have a security feautre to unlock your phone, you cannot have any lock screen widgets besides the Samsung clock.
    Richard Brust and faranite like this.
    04-28-2013 07:04 PM
    That's exactly what the problem was Brnc. Thanks!
    04-28-2013 07:34 PM
    This happened after connecting to my company's Exchange, during which I needed a PIN (and allow Device Admin). I thought it was Device Admin permissions, but the PIN makes sense - but I need the PIN because it's a policy, enforced by Device Admin. It's a vicious circle...
    08-26-2013 03:56 PM
    Has this been solved???

Im trying to install NiLS to no avail because I cant have multiple widgets on the lock screen.

Really sucks..

is there a work around???

Im going from iPhone5 to Galaxy S4 the notification stuff is important to me. So far the only notifications I get are small fonts at the top of the phone.

thanks in advance!
    08-26-2013 07:06 PM
    Has this been solved???

Im trying to install NiLS to no avail because I cant have multiple widgets on the lock screen.

Really sucks..

Im going from iPhone5 to Galaxy S4 the notification stuff is important to me. So far the only notifications I get are small fonts at the top of the phone.

thanks in advance!
    Samsung made the TouchWiz variant of the S4 to be "Corporate compliant". In that respect, do not expect to see the multiple widgets on a secured lock screen in any official capacity. Enabling them would allow info to be exposed while the phone is supposed to be protected. Unless someone finds a way to patch out the security, a third party lock screen can bypass it, or you go with the Google Edition ROM, there's no getting around it.
    08-26-2013 08:17 PM
    Gotcha...any suggestions for notification banners like on iphone iOS??
    08-26-2013 08:39 PM
    Yes the security option for my company exchange forced this so I removed the acct so I could change my quick apps on my lock screen. After removing the exchange acct the problem didn't go away.
    I remember when I purchased the new Samsung last week (switched from apple) this was not greyed out. Now I'm left wondering how to remove my security feature on my phone.

Help
    12-03-2013 10:52 AM
    Ok fixed!
    I had to remove the exchange acct as well as unencrept my SD card and phone.(You will be asked to set a password which is removed later)
    Once that was done, about 15min you can then reset the password to swipe, make the changes you want to the lock screen and then add back on the exchange acct. It will require you to reencrept the phone so make sure you are done with all your edits or you will have to redo the process.
    Good luck
    12-03-2013 11:34 AM
    You should try LockerPro which is free, or if you want more options try SlideLock which is from the same developer but on the second you can buy the PRO version and toggle a bunch of stuff!

- - - Updated - - -

Gotcha...any suggestions for notification banners like on iphone iOS??
    You should try LockerPro which is free, or if you want more options try SlideLock which is from the same developer but on the second you can buy the PRO version and toggle a bunch of stuff!
    03-19-2014 03:48 PM
    Has this been solved???

Really sucks..

thanks in advance!
    03-19-2014 03:50 PM
    you are correct. Should you use any security features on your S4 upon logging in, the screen widget feature becomes accessible.
    it sucks for sure.
    04-30-2014 08:09 AM