04-30-2013 11:35 AM
43 12
tools
    Mave sone posts say your sending from the HTC One and others not . Do you have both? Just curious

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    Yes I have both, as well as the iPhone 5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-2013 04:04 PM
    It is indeed much more laggy than the iPhone 5 I replaced. I will probably keep it and hope it gets fixed in an update, or run vanilla Android on it when this option is available. There is a LOT of bloatware, lol.
    MUCH more laggy than iPhone 5 for sure.

04-28-2013 04:04 PM
    Some of the time stamps you provided -- I didn't see any lag. Like 2nd video .

It mostly seems to be the notification bar, but is the home button supposed to be faster than that?
    On my Evo 3D I press home and it takes like a good 1-3 seconds to get back depending on the application.

I don't think you guys know the definition of lag... lol. If you owned a Palm Pre, then maybe you know lag.
    This is lag... Please tell me the GS4 doesn't do that, lol.

2:01 - Loading the clock.
    2:11 - Stutter when opening another app
    2:28 - opening notes... lol.
    2:48 - lol browser lag.

Of course, the fourth iteration of the Galaxy series shouldn't lag like that... but the clips I'm seeing are stutters that last a split second. Actual performance doesn't seem to be hindered.

I have videos of the HTC One stuttering coming out of card view (and Sense keyboard) and Iphone going into the search screen -- it stutters as well.
    Spot on.

Also, people with animation stuttering issues try this.

Hey BTC and others...

Just go to developer option in the settings and turn down "transition animation scale" to .5 or 0 and say goodbye to any stuttering. Leave window setting at 1 if you want the screen off animation, or 0 if you don't want it.

Don't play with anything else or I'm not reasonable for any problems.

Enjoy

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d
    04-28-2013 04:55 PM
    Anyone who says this phone doesn't lag simply doesn't know what lag is and must have come from an even laggier phone.
    04-29-2013 11:05 AM
    I've had every iPhone and none have had lag while Android phones have had it for years. Jelly Bean solved that for most current devices but somehow Samsung managed to screw the pooch and introduce a phone with high end specs, jelly bean, and tons of lag. Pretty pathetic Samsung. Then there the 9 GB of available ram because of all the bloat..
    I'm not seeing lag on HTC One's but I've only played with them in stores while I have been using an S 4 for a few days now.

MUCH more laggy than iPhone 5 for sure.

04-29-2013 11:08 AM
    Haha. Seriously, you people and Iphones. I have had a few Iphones (from 2nd Iphone to Iphone 4) and if you put enough crap on them they stutter. Without a doubt they stutter. I have had my Iphone crash as well. It does not take much. But same with Android on both accounts. So please stop saying Iphone is ZOMG Awesome. They both stutter and crash occasionally. But hey at least I can do what ever I want with my S4 and not have to be stuck in a 2007 interface!
    Russ Smith and paul-c like this.
    04-29-2013 11:37 AM
    It stutters on some of the opening/closing animations. Doesn't seem to affect performance. Just a visual thing.
    04-29-2013 11:40 AM
    Lol I could Crash an iphone 5 in under 2 minutes, apple doesn't even know the word multitasking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-2013 11:40 AM
    Lol I could Crash an iphone 5 in under 2 minutes, apple doesn't even know the word multitasking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Not sure I understand this.

04-29-2013 11:59 AM
    Anyone who says this phone doesn't lag simply doesn't know what lag is and must have come from an even laggier phone.
    Or not every S4 lags, so there's that.
    04-29-2013 12:21 PM
    It's Touchwiz. I am using Nova Launcher and it has reduced any lag for me by 99.9%.
    04-30-2013 06:35 AM
    To the folks bashing previous iPhone users (myself included), if you didn't come from an iPhone 5, you have no basis for comparison, and are obviously vainly trying to justify your choice of OS via denial. Android is a great OS; I traded my iPhone 5 for it. However it's not perfect. The fact that Apple can make a stutter free phone with only a dual core 1.2ghz processor and 1g of ram speaks volumes about the merits of their closed door programming, and their in house chip design methodology. Is their OS behind the times? Absolutely. But their hardware/software design and integration, at the design level, is really superior. So don't bash perfectly legitimate technology.

There IS more lag on the S4 than the iPhone 5, and that's a fact. Is the S4 lag particularly bad? No, of course it's not as bad as the horrible Palm Pre. That comparison is, frankly, ridiculous. I know the lag is not Andorid's fault, but Samsung's. Getting lag on such a ridiculously spec'd phone is testament to that.

How is the lag specifically worse? On S4, when opening an app where one can type (notes, internet, etc), it will lag for a brief period before i can start typing. When very rapidly switching between already running apps by pressing home, choosing the new app, and bringing it up, this is fast, but not absolutely flawless like iOS was. On iphone I could switch between apps in this fashion as fast as my finger could move, start typing instantaneously, etc.

Again I'm not bashing Android, or really even Samsung. The S4 brings a lot more to the table than iPhone, to be sure. It's just that when you've become accustomed to instantaneous operation, even the tiniest bit of normally imperceptible lag will be fairly noticeable. It's not bashing to state the facts. It's simple denial, though, to try to discredit them when you don't have first hand experience yourself (and your girlfriend having an iPhone 4 or whatever doesn't count).

I really love the S4 and honeslty will probably keep it. However to get this phone working how I am used to, I think I will have to root it when that's available, and just run stock Android. If you do not notice the lag on the stock Touchwiz, count your blessings and move on, lol.
    KoukiFC3S and MannyZ28 like this.
    04-30-2013 07:49 AM
    To the folks bashing previous iPhone users (myself included), if you didn't come from an iPhone 5, you have no basis for comparison, and are obviously vainly trying to justify your choice of OS via denial. Android is a great OS; I traded my iPhone 5 for it. However it's not perfect. The fact that Apple can make a stutter free phone with only a dual core 1.2ghz processor and 1g of ram speaks volumes about the merits of their closed door programming, and their in house chip design methodology. Is their OS behind the times? Absolutely.
    I always say everyone should use what they like and ton of my friends are iPhone users (I used to be) but.. You say it's a credit them to not make a laggy OS which I agree on my friends iPhone 5s I see zero lag.. But as you said it's outdated... And it hasn't changed visually or anything really different in the past few years except extra apps such as passbook and things of that nature.. It's hard for the OS to lag. It should be perfect since the visual aspect hasn't changed.. And only certain things can "multitask".

Just my 2 cents.

ttwiitch likes this.
    04-30-2013 07:54 AM
    To the folks bashing previous iPhone users (myself included), if you didn't come from an iPhone 5, you have no basis for comparison,
    I agree! The iPhone 5 is a ton faster than the 4S. A good example is when swiping left to the search screen. That used to lag all the way up to the 4S but was smooth once the 5 came out. The iPhone is a more consistent experience period. This is coming from someone who switches phones every couple months and who prefers Android to all others.
    04-30-2013 08:28 AM
    I always say everyone should use what they like and ton of my friends are iPhone users (I used to be) but.. You say it's a credit them to not make a laggy OS which I agree on my friends iPhone 5s I see zero lag.. But as you said it's outdated... And it hasn't changed visually or anything really different in the past few years except extra apps such as passbook and things of that nature.. It's hard for the OS to lag. It should be perfect since the visual aspect hasn't changed.. And only certain things can "multitask".

Just my 2 cents.

Agree on all points. There are pros and cons to each OS: usability on iOS, functionality on Android.
    04-30-2013 09:50 AM
    This is ridiculous. If the phone occasionally stutters every few minutes when it is loading pages or something, then that is fine! As long as you are not waiting more than a couple seconds it really shouldn't be a problem. Using iOS devices I get similar lag all the time and nobody seems to complain. Almost every time that I swipe to the search page it lags up. As long as the phone scrolls smoothly and completes operations quickly, what more could you as for? 99% of the time, this phone will not lag!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    04-30-2013 10:24 AM
    It's Touchwiz. I am using Nova Launcher and it has reduced any lag for me by 99.9%.
    I agree with this.

I was experiencing some minor noticable lag (nothing to really bother me too much) but when I installed Nova Launcher, it all went away. The phone is super snappy and buttery with Nova.
    04-30-2013 10:34 AM
    Hi all,

First off, there is a big difference between task switching and multitasking. The ip5 does a great job of task switching. The S4 can and does multitasking. When the ip5 can view the web and run a YouTube video on screen at the same time, then we can say it multitasks.

As for the stutter, just go to the developer options by hitting the build number 7 times. It is located in the settings under about phone.
    In developer options, turn off window and transition animation. Both are set to 1. Use .5 or 0 and say goodbye to the stuttering.

It's a bug and will get fixed. Or you can try what I posted and be happy now.

I wish all bugs were so easy to fix...happy arguing.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-30-2013 11:35 AM
43 12