Camera Quality

mpdofficer514

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Just took this one with the One X for comparison.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Using Android Central App

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367265033233.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367265033233.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 77

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
mpdofficer514... the photos you took obviously didn't focus. Not to ask a stupid question... but you did take the protective plastic off the lense of your camera right?

mpdofficer514

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that was addressed in an earlier post. They do seem out of focus, but I always tap to focus and wait for green.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, that was addressed in an earlier post. They do seem out of focus, but I always tap to focus and wait for green.

I know you said it already, but there is an additional plastic cover on the lens itself. If already removed, then your phone has a faulty camera as all your pics are out of focus.

Could you try to take a pic without manually focusing? Something is clearly wrong.

sent with my 2 year old HTC evo3d

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, what im noticing is it seems to be on most of my indoor photos. Seems great outside. Examples:
Not sure why they uploaded sideways but the indoor shot is not very clear and this has been consistent. Does good in lowlight with flash. The outdoor photo looks much sharper. Also, I am using Auto mode, nothing special. Is there a macro mode in this camera?
Sent From My Galaxy S4

Check the details of the masked man shot. What was the shutter speed and ISO? I'll bet the blurriness is due to slow shutter speed (around 1/60 sec or less). It appears the flash didn't fire because the meter was overly influenced by the bright white wall in the background. We really need this info to properly troubleshoot the problem.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Check the details of the masked man shot. What was the shutter speed and ISO? I'll bet the blurriness is due to slow shutter speed (around 1/60 sec or less). It appears the flash didn't fire because the meter was overly influenced by the bright white wall in the background. We really need this info to properly troubleshoot the problem.

While I agree that we need more info, all his images are out of focus...look at the flower with two different phones that he took.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Specs on masked man photo.

Thats it. Look at Exposure time: 1/15 sec. VERY slow for handheld AND the flash didn't fire. The slow shutter speed of 1/15 allowed "normal" camera shake to blur the image. ISO was 160. Easiest thing would be to make sure the flash fires when indoors. Increasing the ISO setting makes the meter more sensitive to light so the camera will choose a faster Exposure time (shutter speed). Faster Exposure Times freezes action/camera shake more. Another possibility is to shoot in Shutter Priority mode and choose 1/90 or 1/125 sec as a minimum speed.

Have no fear this is a very good camera. Its a tool. You just need to practice for different situations so the camera records the image/exposure accurately. Thank goodness its digital so we can simply delete them.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Specs on the flower image.

The flower shot looks good. MUCH higher shutter speed (1/909 sec) and the camera dropped the ISO to 50. It looks good to me. Lots of contrast. The HTC One shot looks a little washed out/over exposed to me. Flower colors are very similar. Usually the lower ISO speed gives the best possible shots. Camera will fluctuate the ISO and shutter speed to compensate the exposure since the lens has limited aperture settings. Both shots the aperture was f/2.2.

mpdofficer514

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the information. I will play around with the settings. So im understanding this correctly, I want the flash to fire In a well lit room like the one with the masked man?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the information. I will play around with the settings. So im understanding this correctly, I want the flash to fire In a well lit room like the one with the masked man?

Just use a higher ISO setting...then no need for flash

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thats it. Look at Exposure time: 1/15 sec. VERY slow for handheld AND the flash didn't fire. The slow shutter speed of 1/15 allowed "normal" camera shake to blur the image. ISO was 160. Easiest thing would be to make sure the flash fires when indoors. Increasing the ISO setting makes the meter more sensitive to light so the camera will choose a faster Exposure time (shutter speed). Faster Exposure Times freezes action/camera shake more. Another possibility is to shoot in Shutter Priority mode and choose 1/90 or 1/125 sec as a minimum speed.

Have no fear this is a very good camera. Its a tool. You just need to practice for different situations so the camera records the image/exposure accurately. Thank goodness its digital so we can simply delete them.

The S4 camera has shutter priority?

mpdofficer514

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I wish it did, but im not seeing it. Ive tried tons of different settings and the highest shutter speed I can acheive indoors is 1/30 with an average of 1/20. Outdoors is another story! Im chalking it up to this not being a very good low light camera. Takes great sunny day outdoor ohotos though.

ITS ME DAVID

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Those piks the op posted are terrible if my s4 takes piks like that when I get it on Friday it's going back and I'm sticking with my iPhone 5

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I shooter DSLR all the time and I'm in AV 99% of the time. TV when I want to catch the dogs running around or whatever

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

First off Verizon hasn't sold me an S4 yet. So I'm going on the downloadable manual. I guess the Sports mode would be similar to a shutter priority mode. That should result in higher shutter speeds. And higher ISO will also force the camera to choose higher shutter speeds. Using the flash sometimes is hit or miss. The flash will freeze action but sometimes you might not like the flash effect. And matrix metering will probably get better metering than center weighting.

Experiment. After a while with enough trial and error you'll have a good idea what settings you need to get good results in a given situation. And brace the camera against something solid whenever you can. Professionals use tripods for a reason.

The flash probably has an effective range of 10-12 feet. After that the light falls off dramatically. I'm guessing here about the actual distance until I can test MY S4's camera.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I wish it did, but im not seeing it. Ive tried tons of different settings and the highest shutter speed I can acheive indoors is 1/30 with an average of 1/20. Outdoors is another story! Im chalking it up to this not being a very good low light camera. Takes great sunny day outdoor ohotos though.

Just use night mode or set the ISO manually to 400 or higher. No flash needed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke