05-04-2013 06:05 PM
178 ... 45678
tools
    My battery was dying pretty fast and i downloaded GSam Battery Monitor. Enables you too see which apps are draining power. There were a few samsung apps which i didnt use draining a lot of power so i disabled them. Might be worth some of you checking there is nothing draining it in the background
    05-01-2013 09:39 AM
    with the same basic settings and apps etc. I'm getting 25% better battery life over my S3, which was pretty good.
    05-01-2013 09:46 AM
    That's what I'm saying -- it doesn't differentiate between whether you are doing something (battery intensive) or not, it all just shows up as screen on time.
    Ya, that's why so much of this is subjective. Reading a book in Kindle is much less taxing on battery than playing games.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    05-01-2013 10:50 AM
    I'm sorry but that's not 100% correct. I'll cut and paste some useful information.

Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, its better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles.
    There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the devices power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.
    source please ? Cause I never did that (camera, phones, GPS) and they all gave me great battery life.
    05-01-2013 11:07 AM
    Mine lasts several days without a charge easily. So does my iPad 4 on Verizon LTE. Certainly my iPhone 5 lasts longer than my loaner S4 on AT&T.
    Anandtech shows the iPhone 5 on LTE at 8.19 hours in web browsing and the S4 at 5.6 hours.

OP, I suggest your provide more information. You may have a bad battery or faulty charging.

You must not have tried an iphone 5 on Verizon LTE...
    05-01-2013 04:56 PM
    There are plenty of reviews with actual measurements. it's not bad considering the screen and all the cheezwhiz stuff on it.

The battery is horrible on this phone, I heard.
    - - - Updated - - -

I would be careful with that, make sure they are actual Samsung batteries that have been tested. The charging and usage mechanism is designed to work with samsung batteries only.
    Search for them @ ebay.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums
    05-01-2013 04:58 PM
    Mine lasts several days without a charge easily. So does my iPad 4 on Verizon LTE. Certainly my iPhone 5 lasts longer than my loaner S4 on AT&T.
    Anandtech shows the iPhone 5 on LTE at 8.19 hours in web browsing and the S4 at 5.6 hours.

OP, I suggest your provide more information. You may have a bad battery or faulty charging.
    BS

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
    badbrad17 likes this.
    05-01-2013 05:22 PM
    That looks pretty unusual.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Is the goggle maps for using navigation? That eats battery big time
    Try this:

Power off phone, remove battery for 2 minutes, then put it back in.

I have no idea why but this would fix random run away processes that killed my galaxy s3 battery exactly like what's happening to you.

I'm getting about 12 hours usage screen using 71% total time screen on 4:40 hours
    Were you using the maps that much? On my first cycle of the battery I noticed google maps used around 30-40% battery and I didnt even use maps, Found out the latest updates of maps was causing this, uninstalled the update and battery life was a lot better...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    So, as a follow up to my other screen shots on the thread, here are some from today. Mind you, I had GPS off most of the day, Wifi off most all day and even had power save on. My reception is poor, but a coworker has the S3 and doesn't have any problems with battery life and she has the same reception with same carrier. What's going on with this? At the 8% mark you see, my screen on time was about 90 mins, which is nothing. Does AT&T have replacement batteries in store? Should that be my first route (try a new battery)? But, this should not be happening...right (new guy from iPhone 5)?
    Attached Thumbnails Worst battery ever-screenshot_2013-05-01-14-32-58.jpg   Worst battery ever-screenshot_2013-05-01-14-33-10.jpg   Worst battery ever-screenshot_2013-05-01-16-48-12.jpg  
    05-01-2013 05:35 PM
    So, as a follow up to my other screen shots on the thread, here are some from today. Mind you, I had GPS off most of the day, Wifi off most all day and even had power save on. My reception is poor, but a coworker has the S3 and doesn't have any problems with battery life and she has the same reception with same carrier. What's going on with this? At the 8% mark you see, my screen on time was about 90 mins, which is nothing. Does AT&T have replacement batteries in store? Should that be my first route (try a new battery)? But, this should not be happening...right (new guy from iPhone 5)?
    Something is constantly waking your phone, that's where you should start

Sent from my Note 2
    05-01-2013 05:42 PM
    Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk
    Is the goggle maps for using navigation? That eats battery big time
    Something is constantly waking your phone, that's where you should start

Sent from my Note 2
    I'm not sure how to go about diagnosis. Shouldn't that be apparent on the screenshot above? It all seems normal I thought (in terms of how the programs are drawing from the battery).
    05-01-2013 05:53 PM

This is what Anandtech said about the iphone 5 - since I would much rather web browse on a S4...

If we take a step back and look at the collection of results from our battery life tests, the iPhone 5 can last anywhere between 3.15 and 10.27 hours on a single charge. Do a lot of continuous data transfers and you'll see closer to 5 hours, but if you've got reasonably periodic idle time you can expect something in the 8 - 10 hour range. In short, if you use your device a lot, don't be too surprised to see it lose about 10 - 15% of its battery life for every hour of use.

The iphone 5 on LTE can go for about 10 to 12 hours in a normal day for me. About the same as my Nexus 4 which is not known as a battery champ but it is not LTE. Much less than the blackberry it replaced and WAY less than my Note 2 which is also LTE but on ATT.

That is just my usage so I think it is great you can go several days...not many of of can do that on any LTE phone.
    05-01-2013 06:18 PM
    This shows your GPS on the entire time? I'll bet the phone is heating up if the GPS is on the entire time? I do not see it in the top menu though.

I would try a reset and it that does not work I would exchange it. Something is not right.
    05-01-2013 06:27 PM
    you have a runaway process in your phone. in my gs3 it wouldn't always be the same thing, one time it was Handcent SMS widget, another time it was a widget that I didnt even have loaded, sometimes it would happen when i tried charging the phone from a car charger... it was really just random. bottom line is if the phone has been sitting idle for few minutes but feels warm to the touch, the processor is engaged and that is burning your battery.

Did you try the removing battery 2 minutes?

you can try holding down home button to task manager, trashing all the apps in memory, then clearing the ram. see if that helps?

You can also factory reset phone, remove all installed apps, just to see if it is an app causing it.

lastly return it for new one, could be defective
    05-01-2013 07:00 PM
    Ok I'm finally on board, this battery blows

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    05-01-2013 07:01 PM
    My battery was dying pretty fast and i downloaded GSam Battery Monitor. Enables you too see which apps are draining power. There were a few samsung apps which i didnt use draining a lot of power so i disabled them. Might be worth some of you checking there is nothing draining it in the background
    Do you mind telling which ones exactly?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums
    05-01-2013 07:21 PM
    you have a runaway process in your phone. in my gs3 it wouldn't always be the same thing, one time it was Handcent SMS widget, another time it was a widget that I didnt even have loaded, sometimes it would happen when i tried charging the phone from a car charger... it was really just random. bottom line is if the phone has been sitting idle for few minutes but feels warm to the touch, the processor is engaged and that is burning your battery.

Did you try the removing battery 2 minutes?

you can try holding down home button to task manager, trashing all the apps in memory, then clearing the ram. see if that helps?

You can also factory reset phone, remove all installed apps, just to see if it is an app causing it.

lastly return it for new one, could be defective
    I did remove the battery for 2 minutes. I've also cleared the memory many times. Also, if there were a runaway process, wouldn't that be evident in the battery usage screen? I don't see any process using an inordinate amount of battery (unless I'm missing something).

This shows your GPS on the entire time? I'll bet the phone is heating up if the GPS is on the entire time? I do not see it in the top menu though.

I would try a reset and it that does not work I would exchange it. Something is not right.
    Yeah, the GPS was I guess, which is weird because I had to turn it on when I left work because it was off.

If I do reset, would it defeat the purpose to restore from a backup from Kies?
    05-01-2013 07:37 PM
    the stock battery stats wont tell you specific processes going on you will need an app like the one described above, some apps even allow you to kill the process. but remember if it happens again it might not be the same process.

again, if it has been in sleep mode for a few minutes and it is warm near the top of the phone that means your processor has been working when it shouldn't
    05-01-2013 07:44 PM
    the stock battery stats wont tell you specific processes going on you will need an app like the one described above, some apps even allow you to kill the process. but remember if it happens again it might not be the same process.

again, if it has been in sleep mode for a few minutes and it is warm near the top of the phone that means your processor has been working when it shouldn't
    That's not happening. (phone getting warm due to the CPU)

I am trying the battery app.
    05-01-2013 08:55 PM
    Well my galaxy nexus loses 30% per hour. Even if its in my pocket I get max 4 hours out of a charge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    05-01-2013 08:58 PM
    well if it's not warm then it isnt the processor working while asleep so the monitoring app won't help you

my guess is you got a defective battery / phone

return exchange it
    05-01-2013 09:09 PM
    The entire time your phone was on GPS was being used. Hence the full blue bar. That is where your huge drain is... You have to find what is causing gps to ping you constantly..

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.
    05-01-2013 09:15 PM
    Example:

I haven't used GPS all day. Just did it.. So you can't even see the bar on my battery stats. Yours is 100% filled so it's on all day.

Use the battery stats to find what it is.

Attached Thumbnails Worst battery ever-uploadfromtaptalk1367461060310.jpg  
    05-01-2013 09:17 PM
    Troll troll troll your way gently down the screen...

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II
    05-01-2013 09:55 PM
    Google Now pings GPS a lot if it's on I believe. Toggle that off and see how you do tomorrow.

05-01-2013 10:11 PM
    Google Now pings GPS a lot if it's on I believe. Toggle that off and see how you do tomorrow.

I do have it enabled. I'll turn it off and see how tomorrow goes.

The entire time your phone was on GPS was being used. Hence the full blue bar. That is where your huge drain is... You have to find what is causing gps to ping you constantly..

I hear you, but you can see from the breakdown that no process that uses maps (as far as I can tell) was using a significant amount of the battery. Aside from the screen, the other percentages seem reasonable relative to one another. Right?
    badbrad17 likes this.
    05-01-2013 10:37 PM
178 ... 45678