Worst battery ever

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The "Screen" entry on the battery page is a catch all -- you could be using apps like crazy and it would all show up as "Screen"

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The battery is so bad for a new phone just come from iphone 4s n tht phone lasted longer n that was over a year old

I got my S4 yesterday, played with it for 6 straight hours downloading a bunch of stuff, trying out ever application and listening to music. My first impression was great battery. I moved from an S2, but seems like S4 is much better. I assume the battery will get better after the first charge. I did order another spare battery, I don't like the big extended versions. Sorry for your problems, there may be some setting that killing your battery?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The "Screen" entry on the battery page is a catch all -- you could be using apps like crazy and it would all show up as "Screen"

The screen entry is screen on time, nothing more and nothing less. If you keep your screen on that time will continue to rise even if you're not using any apps.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
My battery has been doing fine. When I unplug it at 6:30 a.m the phone ends the day (11:30pm) at aroudn 25%. Not too bad IMO.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The screen entry is screen on time, nothing more and nothing less. If you keep your screen on that time will continue to rise even if you're not using any apps.

That's what I'm saying -- it doesn't differentiate between whether you are doing something (battery intensive) or not, it all just shows up as screen on time.

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
My battery was dying pretty fast and i downloaded GSam Battery Monitor. Enables you too see which apps are draining power. There were a few samsung apps which i didnt use draining a lot of power so i disabled them. Might be worth some of you checking there is nothing draining it in the background

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm saying -- it doesn't differentiate between whether you are doing something (battery intensive) or not, it all just shows up as screen on time.
Ya, that's why so much of this is subjective. Reading a book in Kindle is much less taxing on battery than playing games.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Distrack

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry but that's not 100% correct. I'll cut and paste some useful information.

Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it?s better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles.
There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device?s power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.

source please ? Cause I never did that (camera, phones, GPS) and they all gave me great battery life.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine lasts several days without a charge easily. So does my iPad 4 on Verizon LTE. Certainly my iPhone 5 lasts longer than my loaner S4 on AT&T.
Anandtech shows the iPhone 5 on LTE at 8.19 hours in web browsing and the S4 at 5.6 hours.

OP, I suggest your provide more information. You may have a bad battery or faulty charging.

You must not have tried an iphone 5 on Verizon LTE...

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of reviews with actual measurements. it's not bad considering the screen and all the cheezwhiz stuff on it.

The battery is horrible on this phone, I heard.

- - - Updated - - -

I would be careful with that, make sure they are actual Samsung batteries that have been tested. The charging and usage mechanism is designed to work with samsung batteries only.
Search for them @ ebay.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums

speed13

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Mine lasts several days without a charge easily. So does my iPad 4 on Verizon LTE. Certainly my iPhone 5 lasts longer than my loaner S4 on AT&T.
Anandtech shows the iPhone 5 on LTE at 8.19 hours in web browsing and the S4 at 5.6 hours.

OP, I suggest your provide more information. You may have a bad battery or faulty charging.

BS

Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That looks pretty unusual.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Is the goggle maps for using navigation? That eats battery big time

Try this:

Power off phone, remove battery for 2 minutes, then put it back in.

I have no idea why but this would fix random run away processes that killed my galaxy s3 battery exactly like what's happening to you.

I'm getting about 12 hours usage screen using 71% total time screen on 4:40 hours

Were you using the maps that much? On my first cycle of the battery I noticed google maps used around 30-40% battery and I didnt even use maps, Found out the latest updates of maps was causing this, uninstalled the update and battery life was a lot better...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

So, as a follow up to my other screen shots on the thread, here are some from today. Mind you, I had GPS off most of the day, Wifi off most all day and even had power save on. My reception is poor, but a coworker has the S3 and doesn't have any problems with battery life and she has the same reception with same carrier. What's going on with this? At the 8% mark you see, my screen on time was about 90 mins, which is nothing. Does AT&T have replacement batteries in store? Should that be my first route (try a new battery)? But, this should not be happening...right (new guy from iPhone 5)?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-01-14-32-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-01-14-32-58.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2013-05-01-14-33-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-01-14-33-10.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_2013-05-01-16-48-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-01-16-48-12.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 41

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
So, as a follow up to my other screen shots on the thread, here are some from today. Mind you, I had GPS off most of the day, Wifi off most all day and even had power save on. My reception is poor, but a coworker has the S3 and doesn't have any problems with battery life and she has the same reception with same carrier. What's going on with this? At the 8% mark you see, my screen on time was about 90 mins, which is nothing. Does AT&T have replacement batteries in store? Should that be my first route (try a new battery)? But, this should not be happening...right (new guy from iPhone 5)?

Something is constantly waking your phone, that's where you should start

Sent from my Note 2

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sent from my Galaxy S4 White - using Tapatalk

Is the goggle maps for using navigation? That eats battery big time

Something is constantly waking your phone, that's where you should start

Sent from my Note 2
I'm not sure how to go about diagnosis. Shouldn't that be apparent on the screenshot above? It all seems normal I thought (in terms of how the programs are drawing from the battery).

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

This is what Anandtech said about the iphone 5 - since I would much rather web browse on a S4...

If we take a step back and look at the collection of results from our battery life tests, the iPhone 5 can last anywhere between 3.15 and 10.27 hours on a single charge. Do a lot of continuous data transfers and you'll see closer to 5 hours, but if you've got reasonably periodic idle time you can expect something in the 8 - 10 hour range. In short, if you use your device a lot, don't be too surprised to see it lose about 10 - 15% of its battery life for every hour of use.

The iphone 5 on LTE can go for about 10 to 12 hours in a normal day for me. About the same as my Nexus 4 which is not known as a battery champ but it is not LTE. Much less than the blackberry it replaced and WAY less than my Note 2 which is also LTE but on ATT.

That is just my usage so I think it is great you can go several days...not many of of can do that on any LTE phone.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

This shows your GPS on the entire time? I'll bet the phone is heating up if the GPS is on the entire time? I do not see it in the top menu though.

I would try a reset and it that does not work I would exchange it. Something is not right.

Colonels

May 1, 2013
Visit site
you have a runaway process in your phone. in my gs3 it wouldn't always be the same thing, one time it was Handcent SMS widget, another time it was a widget that I didnt even have loaded, sometimes it would happen when i tried charging the phone from a car charger... it was really just random. bottom line is if the phone has been sitting idle for few minutes but feels warm to the touch, the processor is engaged and that is burning your battery.

Did you try the removing battery 2 minutes?

you can try holding down home button to task manager, trashing all the apps in memory, then clearing the ram. see if that helps?

You can also factory reset phone, remove all installed apps, just to see if it is an app causing it.

lastly return it for new one, could be defective

KeboPR

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
My battery was dying pretty fast and i downloaded GSam Battery Monitor. Enables you too see which apps are draining power. There were a few samsung apps which i didnt use draining a lot of power so i disabled them. Might be worth some of you checking there is nothing draining it in the background

Do you mind telling which ones exactly?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance