Worst battery ever

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
you have a runaway process in your phone. in my gs3 it wouldn't always be the same thing, one time it was Handcent SMS widget, another time it was a widget that I didnt even have loaded, sometimes it would happen when i tried charging the phone from a car charger... it was really just random. bottom line is if the phone has been sitting idle for few minutes but feels warm to the touch, the processor is engaged and that is burning your battery.

Did you try the removing battery 2 minutes?

you can try holding down home button to task manager, trashing all the apps in memory, then clearing the ram. see if that helps?

You can also factory reset phone, remove all installed apps, just to see if it is an app causing it.

lastly return it for new one, could be defective

I did remove the battery for 2 minutes. I've also cleared the memory many times. Also, if there were a runaway process, wouldn't that be evident in the battery usage screen? I don't see any process using an inordinate amount of battery (unless I'm missing something).

This shows your GPS on the entire time? I'll bet the phone is heating up if the GPS is on the entire time? I do not see it in the top menu though.

I would try a reset and it that does not work I would exchange it. Something is not right.

Yeah, the GPS was I guess, which is weird because I had to turn it on when I left work because it was off.

If I do reset, would it defeat the purpose to restore from a backup from Kies?

Colonels

May 1, 2013
Visit site
the stock battery stats wont tell you specific processes going on you will need an app like the one described above, some apps even allow you to kill the process. but remember if it happens again it might not be the same process.

again, if it has been in sleep mode for a few minutes and it is warm near the top of the phone that means your processor has been working when it shouldn't

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
the stock battery stats wont tell you specific processes going on you will need an app like the one described above, some apps even allow you to kill the process. but remember if it happens again it might not be the same process.

again, if it has been in sleep mode for a few minutes and it is warm near the top of the phone that means your processor has been working when it shouldn't

That's not happening. (phone getting warm due to the CPU)

I am trying the battery app.

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Well my galaxy nexus loses 30% per hour. Even if its in my pocket I get max 4 hours out of a charge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Colonels

May 1, 2013
Visit site
well if it's not warm then it isnt the processor working while asleep so the monitoring app won't help you

my guess is you got a defective battery / phone

return exchange it

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So, as a follow up to my other screen shots on the thread, here are some from today. Mind you, I had GPS off most of the day, Wifi off most all day and even had power save on. My reception is poor, but a coworker has the S3 and doesn't have any problems with battery life and she has the same reception with same carrier. What's going on with this? At the 8% mark you see, my screen on time was about 90 mins, which is nothing. Does AT&T have replacement batteries in store? Should that be my first route (try a new battery)? But, this should not be happening...right (new guy from iPhone 5)?

The entire time your phone was on GPS was being used. Hence the full blue bar. That is where your huge drain is... You have to find what is causing gps to ping you constantly..

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Example:

I haven't used GPS all day. Just did it.. So you can't even see the bar on my battery stats. Yours is 100% filled so it's on all day.

Use the battery stats to find what it is.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367461060310.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367461060310.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 33

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Google Now pings GPS a lot if it's on I believe. Toggle that off and see how you do tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Google Now pings GPS a lot if it's on I believe. Toggle that off and see how you do tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I do have it enabled. I'll turn it off and see how tomorrow goes.

The entire time your phone was on GPS was being used. Hence the full blue bar. That is where your huge drain is... You have to find what is causing gps to ping you constantly..

I hear you, but you can see from the breakdown that no process that uses maps (as far as I can tell) was using a significant amount of the battery. Aside from the screen, the other percentages seem reasonable relative to one another. Right?

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you mind telling which ones exactly?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Android Central Forums

I know two that seemed to be waking the phone a lot were Google contact sync which I do not use so I unpicked all the sync options in the menu and also samsung push services (not sure what this is used for but it doesn't seem to have affected my phone)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Juan Clyncke

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
TO ANYONE WITH A BAD BATTERY!!
I'll keep it short, i was one of the first people in this thread complaining about the battery it wouldn't even last 8hours or so when i hardly used it actually.
I'm about 4 days further and it has greatly improved since then, I'm over 10hours now, 1 hour of watching a full HD movie and toying with it and i still have 70% left.

So if i can give any advice eventhough i was once as sceptical as you, it DOES get better if you wait a couple of days..

Colonels

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok Murphys law last night I had some crazy runaway process while I slept.
Woke up 11:30am (don't ask) and phone was warm on my bed.
Here are the screen shots. The only thing different was last night I turned on Air view and Split screen to show a friend and I forgot to turn them off.
In any case you can see something is keeping my phone awake and using power while I slept from 5am till 11am.
I'll respond back after I turn those functions off and remove battery for a few minutes to see if it fixes issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-51-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-51-58.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-52-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-52-24.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-52-40.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-52-40.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-55-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-55-11.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 25

Calidoc

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So I had GPS turned off,but that is not reflected by this information. Is there a reason it's still showing as on? I actually had the phone in airplane mode for nearly an hour.

The screen has been on for an hour and a half today and I'm now at 45%

Ug.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-31-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-02-11-31-29.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 25

Colonels

May 1, 2013
Visit site
Calidoc

Do you have Air View and Split Screen and SMart Stay and those new features installed? What about Beautiful Widgets?
Those are the only things that I added yesterday when my phone decided to go crazy overnight, before that my phone worked great for 2 charge cycles.
I suggest turning them off / uninstalling them to see if it fixes your issues, although your GPS usage is strange as mine does not show that yet I am experiencing similar battery drain since last night.

I think your phone is bugged if you had GPS off but it still shows on. DO a factory reset.

MazrimCF

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I only got 7hrs took the phone off charge with a full battery @ 7am and now have 15% left

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-02-13-40-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-02-13-40-53.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

BillyMichael92

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
To everyone posting about poor battery it is best you download Gsam Battery Monitor. The app sucker function will tell u what is draining your battery throughout the day

It also tells u how many times an app has woke the screen. This will be able to help u more than anyone else on this thread

It fixed my battery issue anyway

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Colonels

May 1, 2013
Visit site
just a follow up my battery is working normal again. I took out the battery for 2 minutes and reset the phone and disabled air view, split screen and beautiful widgets.
If I were to guess I would say that beautiful widgets and air view had some conflicting processes. in any case everything is back to normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol