Pay for Google Play apps on ATT S4

amanisofia

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Who knows how you pay for google play apps on the ATT S4.

I cant seem to do it because of google wallet being disabled by ATT.

I can download the free apps but when I try to pay for an app it gives me an error.

I then got an email from gmail asking me to verify my account by sending a picture of my government ID and a recent utility bill. According to google this email is suppose to ask you to login in to your account first and then do it. This email sends you directly to a link to do it. Maybe I should just give them my mothers maiden name and ss number while I'm at it. Needless to say I am not sending them info like that.

There has to be another way to pay for google play apps?

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I then got an email from gmail asking me to verify my account by sending a picture of my government ID and a recent utility bill. According to google this email is suppose to ask you to login in to your account first and then do it. This email sends you directly to a link to do it. Maybe I should just give them my mothers maiden name and ss number while I'm at it. Needless to say I am not sending them info like that.

What???? I hope you didn't do that. You should be able to add a credit/debit card on Google Play on you computer. If that still fails all I can say is to buy a Google Play gift card (If your in the U.S. or Canada) and add funds that way. But I have had Android since 2009 and never had to give Google that much info to buy apps.

Oh, by the way are you sure you are using the real play app?

Edit: I now see that it is a from a email duh. I would just disregard that. Probably not even from the real Google.

amanisofia

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Searching on line it seems many people have received this email and have had this same problem lately. I will not be sending them the info since it is quite ridiculous.
I think it has something do with the google wallet not being available for the ATT S4. If you look at the google wallet website it is only supported on a few devices.
I even tried to go to the google play on the computer and buy it for the device and get an error message when it processes the card.
I guess google is not concerned about making money in google play like apple is with itunes, or they just dont how to deal the cell phone carriers.

Yes it is the real app that came preinstalled on the phone and I have had no problem getting free apps from it, its just when I have to pay for one.

Any other info on this issue is appreciated. This would be a deal breaker with the new phone.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
That's is odd. Most likely is a AT&T issue though. I bought apps today with no problems so I don't think it would be a Google wallet issue. Also the wallet app wouldn't be compatible for NFC purchases (at McDonald's for example), but using Google wallet online should be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
There is a difference between the Wallet app and Google Wallet. I should have went into more detail above. But when you have a debit/credit card on file you can use that card through Google wallet online to buy apps, and at some websites that use it. Kinda similar to Paypal.

Now the app is completely different. It uses the NFC chip to make a transaction, like McDonalds or Gas stations. GW can be used anywhere that Mastercard Paypass is accepted. Now AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile went together to form ISIS. It is the same thing as Google wallet app, but is only available in two cities, I believe in Utah and Texas, so they can take the cut of the processing fees. Which is why they don't allow Google Wallet to be installed on their devices. They basically are offering the same service in less places and penalizing us, the consumers, so they can make more money.

Now I am not sure why you wouldn't be able to make a purchase off Google Play with a credit/debit card. That is different than the Google Wallet app. At this point I would send a e-mail to Google about the problem and see what they say. You could also call AT&T and see what they say as well, since you shouldn't have a problem buying apps or content regardless.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech