06-17-2014 08:49 AM
93 1234
    Please stop guessing. It is easy on most Android phones to see your signal strength:
    Open Settings
    Scroll to "About Phone" (usually at the bottom of the scroll)
    Click on "Status" (some phones may have "signal" instead)
    look for signal strength
    A decent signal is -40 to -60 dBm
    - 70 to -100 is poor
    more negative than -100 is pretty much a fail
    06-28-2013 12:19 PM
    I have a BRAND spank in new one right off the factory floor and though I love the features in the phoneI couldn't be more disappointed with the signal strength. Previous to this phone I had an iPhone and in low signal areas I always had a couple bars whereas this phone even in a decent signal areas I get maybe one bar sometimes none it's absolutely disappointing I wish I would have stayed with another iPhone like I said features are cool but you definitely definitely give up signal strength
    07-02-2013 02:01 AM
    I have decent coverage with my S4 as I did with my Bionic everywhere outside of the community where I live. However in my house it's basically non-existent (using VOIP). The bionic would at least allow me to send and receive texts in the house. My Girlfriends S3 allows her to send and receive texts in the house. My S4 will not even allow me to send and receive texts so I'm using Google voice for that too in the house. Overall 'd have to say the S4 is worse signal wise unfortunately. Hopefully there is an update to correct this.
    07-02-2013 06:30 AM
    I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 and came from the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. My SGN2 never hade reception problems like this! I have At&t. When my SGS4 is in the case and holster, ( I have bought four different brands including Seidio) the callers on the other end say it's muffled. This clearly tells me there is an issue with the antenna. With the SGN2, I have the phone in my Seidio case and the sound is crystal clear for the caller on the other end. This unfortunately means I'm going back to my SGN2. I'll wait for the SGN3! Only reason I switched was to have a smaller phone with faster processor. I also owned the SGS3 with a Seidio case and never had this issue. Hope this helps others. tweet me @tsairox
    07-08-2013 06:58 PM
    I have had the S4 for a few weeks and have had trouble the whole time, the call quality is clear but the reception is terrible! I am with AT&T, in Chicago. I had an S3 and had no issues. Now with the S4 I am constantly missing calls and the signal strength is hardly ever below -101dBm. I called AT&T and they thought it might be the sim card and had me replace it but nothing changed. I love the phone and all the features but I wish I would have stayed with the S3!
    07-08-2013 08:00 PM
    Similar issues on mine in SF on Att. My q10 gets full signal but my s4 is constantly between 3-4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    07-08-2013 08:14 PM
    It's horrible. We have a Verizon Network Extender and the best I can get is 3 bars while I'm standing next to it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    07-08-2013 08:34 PM
    07-13-2013 11:33 PM
    Wow this doesn't sound good,I've got an update for Verizon and wanna an S4 but don't wanna deal with the same type of signal issue I have with my galaxy nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-13-2013 11:51 PM
    I always have at least 3 bars with sprint but I have a iphone 5.

Anyways I wanted a s4 but it seems I'm not gonna follow through with that, a phone needs to be a phone first and it may seem like the s4 can't do that.

Now I have to see if a HTC ONE is worth a straight up trade with my iphone.
    07-14-2013 03:31 AM
    I tested the Verizon version side by side with my S3. Well, within minutes switching the sim card. Exact same reception as the S3. So much that seems they use the same radio chip and antenna arrays. No better and no worse.
    07-14-2013 06:58 PM
    I just upgraded from a Blackberry. I have AT&T. I had no reception problems with the Blackberry. The Samsung Galaxy S4 has one bar at my home and I am constantly without service. I am taking this phone back.
    07-16-2013 10:58 AM
    Coming from a HTC One, the s4 had much better signal strength...until I installed the CM10.1 rom...
    07-16-2013 01:32 PM
    I recently upgraded 3 days ago to the GS4 from a Droid Razr (first one) and uhm around where I live, signal in general is pretty bad. 2-3 bars on both phones. But once I head into town or into the city, I get 4 bars on my GS4. On my Razr I would've had 3 bars no matter what..
    07-16-2013 01:38 PM
    Side by side with old Droid X on Version

-95 dBm 51 asu

Droid X
    -79dBm 0 asu (no 3g carrier)
    07-16-2013 01:40 PM
    I just went on a 5 hour car trip in Minnesota and I went through some pretty desolate areas to get to my destination. I decided to do a little experiment. I used my Galaxy S4 all the way up to my vacation spot. I was able to stream Slacker flawlessly the whole trip (no buffering) and still had >60% left on my battery when I got there. I was also able to get a decent signal at my destination place. The night before I drove back home, I switched my sim card to my iPhone 5. I got 1 bar-- on EDGE! I wasn't able to do any streaming until I was a good ways away from my vacation spot and closer to civilization. I tried to stream for about an hour and was suffering from frequent buffering. I finally just shut Slacker off. By the time I got home I only had 38% left on the battery despite the fact that I had only used it one hour for streaming. I'm really impressed with how the GS4 performed on this trip. I should also mention the iPhone 5 didn't want to stay connected to the wifi at my destination and every time I wanted to use the wifi I would have to reconnect. This was not the case with the GS4. It stayed connected to the wifi once I did the initial connection. I've always been a fan of the iPhone-- I've had the last 5 versions-- but I have to say I'm pretty shocked and disappointed in how my experiment turned out. I'm on AT&T, btw.
    07-16-2013 09:26 PM
    I have the Verizon S4. Compared to my Tbolt the number of bars is definitely less but I haven't had trouble with calls or call quality.
    07-16-2013 11:33 PM
    I'm having the very same issue, and have gone to both Samsung and AT&T for resolution, with no success. I, too, have had trouble with anyone believing that everyone else in my home, and in my office, with other phones, gets 4-5 bars, while I get 0-1. They say it's a problem with the antenna in my particular phone, but are unwilling to do anything but replace it with a refurbished one. After reading this forum, I'm not sure that will work either. As one of the hottest phone on the market, how is this possible?
    07-25-2013 10:19 AM
    This is an odd issue for sure. My gf on tmobile usually has the same bars as I do on my HTC One... Not exact of course but it's not like I have 5 and she has 1...never anything like that.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    07-25-2013 02:47 PM
    About the same.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-25-2013 02:53 PM
    My signal on my S4 is also poor. My carrier is Verizon. I sometimes lose connections and this doesnt happen on my Iphone. Its not that they measure signal strength differently, its just poor signal from Samsung. My carrier said they would probably have an update soon but that was a month ago. Its too bad i like my S4 but you cant talk through 2 cans and a piece of string !!!
    08-16-2013 07:02 AM
    Coming first from iPhone 4S and then htc one, i am experiencing the same or slightly better signal strength in the dc metro area on AT&T, especially in low signal areas. Absolutely loooove this phone! :-)

Posted via Android Central App via GS4
    08-16-2013 07:10 AM
    I came from the Sprint GS2 (Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch) and so far signal strength seems only slightly lower, like a 1-bar difference on average (based on a side-by-side test I did when I upgraded).

Sprint's service sucks anyway here in rural central Maryland, so I don't notice any difference.
    Both phones would drop 3G connectivity and random times and would lose service all together causing me to have to reboot or cycle Airplane Mode on and off dozens of times.
    Heck, I "internationally roam" at work.

The GS3 seems to have very similar signal strength to this phone too.

Posted via Android Central App
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    08-16-2013 08:01 AM
    You do know that there is no manufacturers phone standard for signal strength? Every manufacturer sets the strength themselves, so 5 bars on Apple may be the same as 2 bars on Samsung or vice versa.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
    08-16-2013 10:14 AM
    Not sure that I can compare Apples to Apples, my previous phone was a Droid Bionic, and the signal was leaps and bounds better that my current GS4, but in fairness, I was with Verizon on the Bionic, and now I am with Sprint on the GS4. And Verizon is known to having a better signal than most of the US carriers.
    08-16-2013 10:24 AM
93 1234