06-17-2014 08:49 AM
93 ... 234
tools
    Similar issues on mine in SF on Att. My q10 gets full signal but my s4 is constantly between 3-4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    I've been considering the S4 but if the Z30 holds true to BlackBerry having superior signal strength then there is no question which brand I will choose. Now only to decide on the Z30 or the Q10...
    08-19-2013 11:58 PM
    Im in the UK & have a S4 i9505 my plan is 4G, in network settings I had auto connect (4G,3G,2G) based on this i was only getting 1 bar if not no bars everywhere, i was concerned because I thought I had signal issues, however I spoke to Samsung & because I had it on 4G,3G,2G it was seaching for 4G 1st and because 4G is new in my area & low signal that is why I was having the issues, as soon as I changed my network settings to 3G/2G only my signal has improved & working, so for people having poor signal go to network settings & change it to auto connect at 2G/3G if your phone is still having issues it may be the phone, but it fixed my issue. maybe that is why alot of people are having low signal if its on 4G/3G/2G i think Samsung should have made customers aware.
    09-09-2013 02:24 AM
    Having owned almost every blackberry possible as well as an s3 before this s4...I think the signal strength is pretty decent for me here in canada (toronto). Haven't really noticed a lack of reception anywhere and don't drop too many calls. Use this for work calls and it's great. Overall I'm pleased.

Edit - I have a spigen neo hybrid (if you care about the effects of cases and reception) and the only place where I don't get the best reception is my basement...and that's been with all phones. Still don't drop calls down there though...so no real complaints overall.
    09-09-2013 04:02 PM
    Camd from an iPhone 5. This phone has a hard time holding onto data connection and it's one of my biggest frustrations.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
    09-09-2013 09:30 PM
    I am in Singapore, just bought an S4 and am pretty disappointed with the signal. Comparing side by side with an S3, both on LTE and the same carrier, the s4 gets 1 bar while the s3 gets 3 bars. I get a much better signal with the LTE off though.
    09-09-2013 10:25 PM
    I guess this is a very carrier dependent issue but I haven't had any problems with the connection on my S4, the signal strength actually seems slightly better than my Galaxy S3 did. Overall pretty happy but generally the network is also very good here in Finland so it's hard to compare.
    09-10-2013 09:17 AM
    I have never notices any problems with signal strength whether it be connecting or dropped calls. When I check the About Phone Status the Signal Strength reading is -97 dBm 46 asu. When I check the same measurements ES Task Manager>About Phone>System the reading is -65 dBm 24 asu. Which one do I believe?
    09-10-2013 01:30 PM
    Hi Kelly, I have the same phone, with the same problem. How do I change it to 3G/2G? I have clicked on settings, then connections but cannot find it?
    Thanks
    09-14-2013 02:41 PM
    Settings - Connections - More Networks - Mobile Networks - Network Mode - 3G/2G (auto connect)
    Lucy Davies likes this.
    09-14-2013 04:54 PM
    Guys I know how you feel. I am in USA and have the same issues with the phone I contacted my provided and had the phone replaced twice and still same issues. Samsung needs to step up and recall these phones or do something and fix it . I suggest you contact Samsung and your provider and continue to complaint. This is the only way we will get them to fix this once and for all. I been a loyal Samsung customer (TV, Washer, Dryer, Mobiles and tablets for the family, my contracts are up next year I plan on switching to LG or MOTO, HTC or maybe Apple). I will never be a Samsung customer again.
    09-17-2013 01:01 PM
    although my s4 always shows 1 or 2 bars on verizon, and is usually over 100 db on the phones own estimation, I installed open signal and it shows a much higher signal than the phone reports. if this is really true, how dumb of samsung!
    09-18-2013 05:59 PM
    right now my S4 says 112dbm 24 ASU snd yet opensignal says its 93dbm. im pretty sure this phone itself is reporting wrong. since 115 dbm is no signal it has to be. also, I wish more attention would be paid to the 1x voice signal. its what the bars measure. it's what dbm us for. 3g and 4g are only measured by ping from what I gather.
    09-18-2013 06:15 PM
    I went go visit my dad who lives on a ranch. Was pretty excited to see what the signal strength was going to be, but was very disappointed. My blackberry bold 9900, iPhone 4, HTC inspire, and even my Samsung sidekick 4g had at least 1-2 bars. This phone... None at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    09-18-2013 06:19 PM
    I have an i537 jb 4.2.2 unlocked and rooted on a TMob SIM and I am currently in Nebraska where it is 80% CDMA Verizon and 10% ATT

The main process for adding TMobile signal is not my concern right now but this is a great feed to ask for help improving my signal since it is a related problem. I have very little signal and when I do get a data signal it is roaming and has "E" above it.

I have tried the fast.t-mobile APN and I have tried switching the frequencies with no improvement. Any other suggestions?

Once I get a solid data signal then I need to test my tethering. Right now I get "no data network or invalid SIM" error on tethering but that is most likely because I have no data signal not due to tethering being blocked.

My progress notes on all things S4 related can be read at... freehelpingHands.wordpress DOT com - thanks
    04-23-2014 02:21 PM
    Settings - Connections - More Networks - Mobile Networks - Network Mode - 3G/2G (auto connect)
    This seems to be working for me so far but gonna keep an eye on it. Thank you very much.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-23-2014 05:11 PM
    Reviving this thread because I am wondering the same thing... I just moved cubicles from a place in the center of the building to near a window, and I was thinking I'd see more bars. I actually see fewer. I'm on AT&T and someone who sits just a row over from me has AT&T also but I think an iPhone - he says he always has full bars on his phone. Get this - there's an AT&T antenna ON TOP OF OUR BUILDING because AT&T is our network vendor (large government agency) and we get a price break on network services if we let them put up the antenna. So I am wondering if this phone's antenna is substandard. A weak connection will consume battery faster, won't it?
    Did someone say those bars only show voice connection strength, and not overall network/data signal strength?
    I am trying to determine what I'm looking at and what it means.
    I've had my phone for about three months so I don't think I can just wander in and tell them I want to swap it...
    Any thoughts?
    06-16-2014 12:10 PM
    Reviving this thread because I am wondering the same thing... I just moved cubicles from a place in the center of the building to near a window, and I was thinking I'd see more bars. I actually see fewer. I'm on AT&T and someone who sits just a row over from me has AT&T also but I think an iPhone - he says he always has full bars on his phone. Get this - there's an AT&T antenna ON TOP OF OUR BUILDING because AT&T is our network vendor (large government agency) and we get a price break on network services if we let them put up the antenna. So I am wondering if this phone's antenna is substandard. A weak connection will consume battery faster, won't it?
    Did someone say those bars only show voice connection strength, and not overall network/data signal strength?
    I am trying to determine what I'm looking at and what it means.
    I've had my phone for about three months so I don't think I can just wander in and tell them I want to swap it...
    Any thoughts?
    I've switched companies (not carriers, jobs) from one boon dock rural CT town to another. I've noticed that the only phones that consistent reception are Moto's. My S4 gives me 0-2 bars at work but at at least have Wi-Fi. Signal searching sucks. By lunchtime I'm down 50%, kick on the Mophie at 30%, then charge it in the car on my commute home . But none of the major wireless carriers work well.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-16-2014 04:40 PM
    I should add that I have full bars when it's on 4G but when it kicks over to LTE my bars go way down. I am not sure what this means... maybe AT&T's LTE network isn't so great in this area.
    06-17-2014 08:49 AM
93 ... 234