Open Letter to The HTC One Fans Who Bash on The S4

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
So predictable. I've been surfing the One and S4 forums just out of curiosity, and just about every thread is deja-vu from around the time of the HTC One variants and S3 launches last year. Every single thread devolved into a EVO 4G LTE vs S3 debate. Didn't matter what the original topic was. And I'll admit I partook in a little bit of good-natured poking around the S3 forums at the time.
Once the novelty and shiny newness wears off these phones, and/or the next major launch comes around, everyone will settle down and concentrate on their chosen device, and you'll see these forums (S4 and HTC One) be much more productive.

bp240

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
You're joking, right? I mean really... have you not been on the One forums at all? Until a few days ago when the GS4 was finally getting in the hands of the masses, it was all anyone could do not to see a Sammy fan jump onto a random thread, about a device they would never consider buying, and commence to tell everyone how the battery sucks, no microSD sucks, aluminum sucks, Taiwan sucks, blah blah blah. "What's the thread about?" "It doesn't matter, let's just go over there and whiz all over it because there isn't really anything going on in the GS4 forums yet."

You should have said something more along the lines of "look - I know that for the last two months you HTC fans have dealt with some (not all) Sammy fans being complete nincompoops on the forums, but now that the GS4 is out I think that kind of behavior needs to stop. I didn't think so before, when it was aggravating you to no end, but now that it has started to effect me I think it should stop."

I really do agree with you in principle though - the constant device bashing really impedes people from enjoying the forums as a place to go for help, insight and general camaraderie and solidarity.
No one said that S4 fanboys on the One forums were ever ok by us. You're preaching to the choir though. I'd imagine that OP started this thread for the same reason I would've; we want actual discussions and its a pain in the *** to have to keep bypassing all these "one is better" posts.

Reading through the forums learning about the s4 a bit more...couldn't resist this thread and to say there is soooo much trolling going on in our forums, more than here. I'm all up for a healthy debate but thread after thread?

Sent from my awesome HTC One B-)

If I were to have started this thread, want to know why I wouldn't bother going talking about S4 owners trolling the One forums? Because I don't visit the One forums. I visit the S4 forums to because that's what I'm interested in.

Talking about an eye for an eye gets us nowhere. To fix a problem, post a thread where the trolls and fanboys are, not where they associate themselves with. To address the S4 fanboys in the One forums, do it in the One forums. Complaining about them here is sort of like telling the teacher who isn't supervising recess about the bully in the schoolyard. We get that they're over by you guys, but its not like we can handle that from here.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So predictable. I've been surfing the One and S4 forums just out of curiosity, and just about every thread is deja-vu from around the time of the HTC One variants and S3 launches last year. Every single thread devolved into a EVO 4G LTE vs S3 debate. Didn't matter what the original topic was. And I'll admit I partook in a little bit of good-natured poking around the S3 forums at the time.
Once the novelty and shiny newness wears off these phones, and/or the next major launch comes around, everyone will settle down and concentrate on their chosen device, and you'll see these forums (S4 and HTC One) be much more productive.

This is exactly what I hoped to accomplish by writing this letter. Perhaps even the smallest reduction in an out of nowhere debate in countless helpful threads.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah, but when it goes the direction of getting into flamewars, insults, etc it's not worth keeping open. Seems things have gotten better since my post. :)

Thank you. We'll try to play nice. I'm not looking to burn anyones blueberry muffins. Just want to express that I'm here for the excitement of everything to do with this phone and would like to keep that excitement level up.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure what he was saying went right over your head.

This guy is one of the top 3 worst at what we've been talking about. It's been a long long time since i've seen JHB actually contribute something other than sarcasm and personal insults to a thread.

I agree with what some have said that it goes both ways. Right now, HTC is just suffering from little man's syndrome. They are the odd man out because the good devices are being undermined by the idiots running the company. So fans of the phones feel they have to overcompensate with rude comments toward any other phone that's successful. They automatically go for the lowest insult possible which is to compare Samsung fans to Apple fans. They know that will be the meanest thing they can say and they jump straight to it. Funny thing is, every person i've seen do it, is actually themselves just as much a fan of their own device and have the same closed mindedness they are accusing others of.

I want the HTC One. I am not bashing HTC because I love Samsung or hate HTC. I REALLY want the One. My biggest hesitation, is there's so many a**es on the HTC forums right now, that if I needed help with something I wouldn't want to ask anyone because of the stupid responses i'd be sure to get back. Mostly do to cattails and JHB. Loud mouths that ruin the whole experience for everyone else.

I know there's good people in those forums, but the idiots are the ones who overshadow any good. And yes, that does exist in the S4 forum as well which is why I own the S3. Hopefully Samsung fans can just appreciate their awesome devices, and hopefully HTC fans can stop feeling like they're having to overcompensate. If you have the One, feel lucky. A lot of people are envious. Stop feeling like you have to attack someone else to make your enjoyment fulfilled.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The annoying part of this entire "debate" is the over exaggeration of every device's flaws and almost instant dismissal of any feature that isn't essential as a gimmick. Then there's the outright hypocrisy when it comes to defending their choice. Their flaws aren't that bad and what they called gimmicks on the product they're bashing is something useful on their product because of some random reasoning behind it. The exaggeration is so bad at times an outsider reading that crap would have to wonder how Samsung, HTC, and Apple even remain relevant in the market.

My phone is a good One!

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Though I agree with a lot of what's being said about the way people come off at times, let's please limit the name calling and calling people out by name in this thread. I'd really like to keep it open and my intent of starting this thread wasn't to start a war though some believe it to be. I want to be friends with people no matter what phone they use. Just as long as we are all respectful.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
IMO, both currently have evil in them. The One has no expandable storage or OTG storage support and the S4 has almost half the app storage taken up by stock and my carrier not exactly making an effort to offer anything larger.

IMO, pick your poison ;) Verizon: Great coverage and sucky device efforts.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
As of late, it seems there are more One vs. S4 arguments then there are Android vs. iPhone. Obviously, both devices are at the highest end, and there are slight differences between the two, and I really wish the discussions on both forums would focus on that rather than the old Ford vs. Chevy argument which gets us all nowhere. Either way, we should all be happy that there is a standout Android-powered device for every level of user, so the options are endless!

Unfortunately, this seems to be typical whenever a new high-end phone is released. We went through it with the S3 / HTC one-x, and even between the one-x and Evo 4g LTE, even though those were almost identical phones. We'll see similar things when the iPhone 5 is introduced. If Windows phone sold enough to matter, we'd see it with that device, too.

Some people don't seem to be able to separate their real lives from their phones, and treat their phone like it was part of their religion. It's sad, and rather infantile, but eventually it will die down.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung guys just need to point at the scoreboard (of sales).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think that only proves how good Samsung is at marketing and not how good the actual phone is.

You say that like Samsung's products aren't good at all.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I am debating getting the S4 but have HTC phones I would not say these fourms are any different then the HTC ones, theirs alot of haters and bashers there as well or trolls whatever you want to call them

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk
I was also debating on which phone to get. However, after watching videos and reading reviews,I decided to go with the s4. There were just some small annoying things on The One that made me go with the s4.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I wish htc and Samsung would merge.

Keep HTC's build material, speakers,internal storage capacity, launcher, screen quality, but add Samsung's features, removable battery, battery capacity, sd cards, build quality, and processor and you have the perfect phone.

Both companies can learn a lot from each other

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I sure hope not. What would actually happen is the Samsung conglomerate would swallow HTC whole, and that wouldn't be a good thing. And I don't see how this would benefit Samsung one bit.

IMO, both currently have evil in them. The One has no expandable storage or OTG storage support and the S4 has almost half the app storage taken up by stock and my carrier not exactly making an effort to offer anything larger.

IMO, pick your poison ;) Verizon: Great coverage and sucky device efforts.

The One doesn't have an SD card slot because its my understanding that Google wants to eliminate SD card slot and removable batteries from Android. Every phone that I have ever owned had a removable battery, and I have never bought a spare battery. I know that everybody is different, but I have micro and mini USB cables coming out of my ***. I have USB ports in both cars, and even installed USB outlets in my home. My phone's battery dying on me ? Not going to happen. Ever.

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
in the end htc and their owners always end up losing these battles as their attention shifts to figuring out how to fix their phone or send it back for a replacement because it's defective

I have owned 3 HTC phones no issues, what so ever statements like these can go in any direction all phones can be defective or break it is not just an HTC problem.

Sent From My HTC Droid DNA Using Taptalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Like McDonald's. Because everyone knows they make the best food or they wouldn't sell so well

And another one.

You make it sound like all McDonald's food is bad.

It's almost like the HTC fanboys are acquiring some Apple fanboy-like snobbery based on perceived build-quality.

Again. Samsung phones aren't crap and they're making money hand over fist. Scoreboard.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
HTC One rules, S 4 drools? Like that? You probably should not frequent internet forums if you can't handle such things. It's part of the package.

Dear HTC One Fans,

I'm a smartphone fan, not a Samsung fan. I enjoy quality tech and will use whichever phone by any manufacturer as long as it meets my needs. I have an iPhone 5 (I've had every iPhone), I have an S4 (I've had the Droid Charge and the S3 before) and I've used pretty much every HTC Smartphone (The One included).

I love android. Admittedly I love pure Android more than a skinned version but I love Android all the same. I enjoy it's features, programming capabilities and really, I love the Androidcentral community and like coming here to share excitement, stories, help others with issues and get issues of my own resolved.

The past couple of days using this forum, I'm seeing more and more hate from HTC One users in the S4 threads than I'm seeing actual posts and conversations about issues or excitement. I cannot help others with their issues and provide better experiences when I have to filter through a lot of posts from you guys hating on our phones and talking to us like we're stupid or uneducated because we chose the phone that best suited our needs. I've used both the S4 and the One and the S4 is the phone for ME. Hence why I'm on here. Hence why the other S4 users are on here. This is where we get excited. Please respect that and limit the hate so we can enjoy our new toys.

Thank you,

Kevin Guinn
Forum member since March 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles