04-30-2013 03:52 PM
164 1234 ...
tools
    I'd much rather have some lag(which I dont have) than some of the ergonomic and build quality isses they're having with the One.
    My BB10 with dual core is smooth as can be.

Sorry had to do it lol
    madlaw1071 likes this.
    04-29-2013 02:01 PM
    My BB10 with dual core is smooth as can be.

Sorry had to do it lol
    Good luck with that.
    04-29-2013 02:03 PM
    My S4 is especially sluggish...the messaging app is very very slow, as is the camera and on several occasions when I attempt to click on an icon there is no response, what gives...I dont want to return this phone but I find no solution online and tech support is nonexistant
    04-29-2013 02:29 PM
    Lag explained?
    Little free ram.
    GS4 system image size !!! - xda-developers
    Exactly touchwiz 4.1.2 takes up 800mbs of ram on the s3. That's why I was rooting for 3gbs of ram in the s4. With the way samsung is headed 2gbs won't be enough, unless they upgrade ram type.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-2013 03:06 PM
    I see lag all the time, TW is just awful on performance. Simply by changing launchers you can see a difference. I think Samsung took steps backwards with the S4. I am not as happy as when i got the S3.
    04-29-2013 03:20 PM
    With the size of the pics the S4 takes it is compressing the pics for use with MMS. Not sure it that is UI lag or if anyphone could do pics that size quickly. Just a thought.
    The iPhone 5 and the HTC One have no problems at all compressing a picture into an SMS message. I don't know why Samsung seems to have the problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-2013 03:27 PM
    Let me preempt the people using HTC Ones that will reply to this post: "You shouldn't have to change a setting. It should be fixed out of the box."

With that said, there's a simple solution to the stuttering you may be getting. Because it's not visible on 4.2.2, you need to go into "About Device" in settings and find "Build Number". Tap on that 7 times to unlock Developer Options under the More tab in settings. From there, scroll down until you see these 3 settings: Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, and Animator duration scale. These are all set to 1x and are the culprit to your lag. Turning them off will get rid of the animations that are making your phone stutter occasionally. There's visibly no drawbacks to doing this.

Also, if you're not using S Voice and probably won't, you can go into settings for S Voice and turn off the ability to double tap the home button to launch S Voice. Because the home button is capable of doing several things, removing one of those things seems to make it function a lot quicker.

I'm sure Samsung is aware of these animations causing these issues, but if you're not patient and want it fixed right away, thankfully you can do it yourself in 30 seconds.
    Raptor007, archer75 and ztrawhcs like this.
    04-29-2013 03:34 PM
    Turn all the new sensors off and watch lag go down and battery life up.
    04-29-2013 03:50 PM
    Turn all the new sensors off and watch lag go down and battery life up.
    Sounds like fun. Let me turn off all the cool new features so my phone works properly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Topgonzo and Glitzy35 like this.
    04-29-2013 03:52 PM
    Sounds like fun. Let me turn off all the cool new features so my phone works properly

That's assuming the phone doesn't work properly with them on, which it does.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
    04-29-2013 03:57 PM
    That's assuming the phone doesn't work properly with them on, which it does.

Was just throwing some sarcasm around.

04-29-2013 04:14 PM
    I've lowered all the options to .5, disabled every BS app thats on the phone. Still lags/stutters (whatever you want to call it), like a MOFO. Fact is Touchwiz is bloated, almost as bad as John Candy was after he ate an ole 96er.
    Raptor007 likes this.
    04-29-2013 04:45 PM
    Let me preempt the people using HTC Ones that will reply to this post: "You shouldn't have to change a setting. It should be fixed out of the box."

With that said, there's a simple solution to the stuttering you may be getting. Because it's not visible on 4.2.2, you need to go into "About Device" in settings and find "Build Number". Tap on that 7 times to unlock Developer Options under the More tab in settings. From there, scroll down until you see these 3 settings: Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, and Animator duration scale. These are all set to 1x and are the culprit to your lag. Turning them off will get rid of the animations that are making your phone stutter occasionally. There's visibly no drawbacks to doing this.

Also, if you're not using S Voice and probably won't, you can go into settings for S Voice and turn off the ability to double tap the home button to launch S Voice. Because the home button is capable of doing several things, removing one of those things seems to make it function a lot quicker.

I'm sure Samsung is aware of these animations causing these issues, but if you're not patient and want it fixed right away, thankfully you can do it yourself in 30 seconds.
    That did the trick!
    Raptor007 and jsbcarman like this.
    04-29-2013 04:55 PM
    I have yet to experience any lag with my SGS4.... I'm not sure what the difference would be but mine is buttery smooth. My previous phone was the One X, so I'm not coming from a sluggish phone.
    04-29-2013 05:09 PM
    The iPhone 5 and the HTC One have no problems at all compressing a picture into an SMS message. I don't know why Samsung seems to have the problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    That's why I have a iphone 5 not an S4...lol! In all seriousness, Just a thought on why the slowdown on MMS. My Note 2 always says "picture too large compressing." My iphone 5 is my workphone and I rarely use it for pictures.
    04-29-2013 05:11 PM
    That did the trick!
    Glad I could help.

04-29-2013 05:17 PM
    I have seen a little, a split second or two, but coming from the Atrix4g and Iphone4G, this is like a monster leap in mobile tech...
    04-29-2013 05:29 PM
    You should go to settings→application→all and then disable all the crap your carrier and samsung added to the phone that uour not using. That should help u with the lag problem and maybe increase battery life (?) Not sure about battery though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    Raptor007 likes this.
    04-29-2013 05:29 PM

You seem to be in denial about something. People are reporting lag with stock Touchwiz apps while in the app. This is different than the animation trick. Scrolling through the Gallery or Messaging app should be butter smooth, but people are reporting that it's not. So basically, there's the problem that your posted solution solves, and then there's REAL lag, which will require a software update to cure most likely.

It isn't always ONE vs S4, sometimes it's just "I have a problem with my device" and those folks just want to know if others have the problem.

To everybody else. If you have an S4 and have this issue, then please post your response. If you don't have an S4, then do you really need to come in here and troll? Nope, didn't think so. If you have an S4 and AREN'T experiencing the lag in TouchWiz apps, then maybe you can offer assistance or more information so the root of the problem can be discovered (assuming it's not an inherent software flaw).
    tarball and JHBThree like this.
    04-29-2013 05:41 PM
    You seem to be in denial about something. People are reporting lag with stock Touchwiz apps while in the app. This is different than the animation trick. Scrolling through the Gallery or Messaging app should be butter smooth, but people are reporting that it's not. So basically, there's the problem that your posted solution solves, and then there's REAL lag, which will require a software update to cure most likely.

It isn't always ONE vs S4, sometimes it's just "I have a problem with my device" and those folks just want to know if others have the problem.

To everybody else. If you have an S4 and have this issue, then please post your response. If you don't have an S4, then do you really need to come in here and troll? Nope, didn't think so. If you have an S4 and AREN'T experiencing the lag in TouchWiz apps, then maybe you can offer assistance or more information so the root of the problem can be discovered (assuming it's not an inherent software flaw).
    Do you have an S4, Kevin? Because I do. I also can say that of the people that I know that have the phone and are experienced with a plethora of other devices, there's been no lag. Stutters via the animations in Touchwiz? Sure. What do you think screen transitions in the gallery are? For those that have turned the animations off, they've reported it being fixed.

So am I in denial? Not at all. I do, however, own the phone and have not experienced these issues myself. I've talked to Brian Klug about it and he confirmed there's some janky animations that would be perceived lag, but that's it.

I have to admit that I find it amusing that you're getting involved on a topic you have no first hand experience on. Then again, you've been pretty adamant about defending the One so I guess it should come as no surprise.

If it makes you feel better, let's pretend the S4 is slow and laggy outside the animations. Perhaps then you'll be happy with the phone choice you made.

Raptor007 likes this.
    04-29-2013 06:02 PM
    Do you have an S4, Kevin? Because I do. I also can say that of the people that I know that have the phone and are experienced with a plethora of other devices, there's been no lag. Stutters via the animations in Touchwiz? Sure. What do you think screen transitions in the gallery are? For those that have turned the animations off, they've reported it being fixed.

So am I in denial? Not at all. I do, however, own the phone and have not experienced these issues myself. I've talked to Brian Klug about it and he confirmed there's some janky animations that would be perceived lag, but that's it.

I have to admit that I find it amusing that you're getting involved on a topic you have no first hand experience on. Then again, you've been pretty adamant about defending the One so I guess it should come as no surprise.

If it makes you feel better, let's pretend the S4 is slow and laggy outside the animations. Perhaps then you'll be happy with the phone choice you made.

I have all animations off and I still experience lag. Most notably in messaging when scrolling through a long SMS thread. Also when adding a picture into an SMS. I also see redraw of the weather widget when hitting the home button. Not every time, but enough.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2
    04-29-2013 06:12 PM
    Also if I'm texting someone and another text or notification comes in it seems to freeze my phone for a second.

04-29-2013 06:13 PM
    I have all animations off and I still experience lag. Most notably in messaging when scrolling through a long SMS thread. Also when adding a picture into an SMS. I also see redraw of the weather widget when hitting the home button. Not every time, but enough.

Anyone else having this issue? I've been sending MMS/SMS constantly with screen shots and haven't had any issues, especially with scrolling back through messages. The weather widget has been that way since the S2; they do need to fix that, but that's just the widget.

04-29-2013 06:18 PM
    Texting seems to be slightly wonky...
    04-29-2013 06:19 PM
    What is the animator thing do in developer options? I set it to. 5

04-29-2013 06:22 PM
164 1234 ...